Weight Loss Thread

Caliane

ps. down to 290 you probably can start doing cardio without leg pain, if you are interested. Biking or jogging.

they just finished the tressel connecting Airline south rail trail with Hop River rail trail, and Airline north.

Air Line and Hop River bridges over Willimantic River - Hartford Courant
This is done.

DEEP: Air Line State Park Trail

willi to north hampton is 20miles one way, all flat paved rail trail. (also passes salmon river state park. stocked salmon/trout. flyfishing only.)
Google Maps

Hop river is a solid 30miles one way as well, into Manchester.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
For those that log MFP, do you try to stick to your calories regardless of exercise or account for it in your daily? Using random #'s, if it says to lose X pounds a week eat 2000 calories, but you go run and burn 700. Do you still aim to eat only 2,000, or 2,700?

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
For those that log MFP, do you try to stick to your calories regardless of exercise or account for it in your daily? Using random #'s, if it says to lose X pounds a week eat 2000 calories, but you go run and burn 700. Do you still aim to eat only 2,000, or 2,700?
Ultimately, its irrelevant. MFP numbers depict a model of the real world. The model never truly depicts real life. You test your model with frequent weigh-ins. Adjust calorie input accordingly to reach your goals. If you're doing a tremendous amount of cardio, then you ought to be eating more than if you weren't. If you're running a 5k once a week then it probably doesn't matter.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Same. In my opinion there's no point in doing cardio if you're going to eat more to compensate for the "extra" calories you burned...
You're stuck looking at this from the perspective of a fat man who desperately doesn't want to be fat. Once you're within the appropriate weight range, you ought to re-analyze this.

The benefits of cardio are well-researched and indisputable. When you're morbidly obese, the benefits of "not being morbidly obese" very likely outweigh the benefits of a good cardio workout, but as you approach a healthy weight, eating a healthy and nutritious diet and getting a good workout in ought to be valued more than chasing a rapid cut and getting shitty workouts because of lack of calories.

I've seen studies that say all the perks of a cardio routine are also received for a good strength training routine, so whatever... my instinct here is to assume a decent balance is probably the best for long-term health and happiness.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Nice, Noodle.

Aladain - As you said, much of that dramatic weight loss is from lowering your inflammation and not retaining as much water. Even with a dramatic caloric deficit, I wouldn't expect more than 3-4 lbs per week. Your body has a ceiling for how much stored fat it can convert to usable energy per day. If you're losing more weight than that, it's not just body fat that you're losing.
Thanks for the tip and I'm pleased with 3-4 lb a week. So the interesting thing is that for my weight my "fat %" read considerably lower than my dietician thought, and told me to get an official check from my doctor which I did, and it confirmed it. So I'm 6'3" 309.6lb (at the start of diet) with a fat percentage of ... 28%, and visceral fat rating of 12. They were expecting in the 30s, and upper teens. I'm not sure if that will affect anything but I will take your words to heart. I certainly don't want to lose any muscle doing this. My ultimate goal is 200lb, and stretch of 180lb but my main goal for myself for the time being is 250, and if I can do that I feel like I can do anything. However, if my fat % hits in the lower normal range, I'll probably stop.

I'm not exercising much due to the restrictiveness of the diet (I get worn out very quickly), but I am lifting a bit. I'm intaking around 1100-1300 calories per day.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thanks for the tip and I'm pleased with 3-4 lb a week. So the interesting thing is that for my weight my "fat %" read considerably lower than my dietician thought, and told me to get an official check from my doctor which I did, and it confirmed it. So I'm 6'3" 309.6lb (at the start of diet) with a fat percentage of ... 28%, and visceral fat rating of 12. They were expecting in the 30s, and upper teens. I'm not sure if that will affect anything but I will take your words to heart. I certainly don't want to lose any muscle doing this. My ultimate goal is 200lb, and stretch of 180lb but my main goal for myself for the time being is 250, and if I can do that I feel like I can do anything. However, if my fat % hits in the lower normal range, I'll probably stop.

I'm not exercising much due to the restrictiveness of the diet (I get worn out very quickly), but I am lifting a bit. I'm intaking around 1100-1300 calories per day.
That seems unrealistically low for a guy sitting over 300 pounds

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
That seems unrealistically low for a guy sitting over 300 pounds
I know, I can even scan the analysis and show you after I get back home (out of town atm). It was very unusual, but i have to assume its really higher and for some reason the two tests I had were wrong.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I know, I can even scan the analysis and show you after I get back home (out of town atm). It was very unusual, but i have to assume its really higher and for some reason the two tests I had were wrong.
Sorry I brainfarted when I typed that and I meant your calories. Are you only eating 1100-1300 per day? did I read that right? My wife weighs 100 pounds and eats more than that

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I don't eat more just because I work out, but then again if you're legit only eating 1100-1300 calories a day, yeah, you may want to eat more those days. Pretty much anyone will tell you you're eating too few calories though and you'll cause metabolic damage to your body.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Aladain: I'd second (or is it third now?) the suggestion that you eat more. Just make sure it's the right thing, in the right portions, at the right times. If you don't eat enough you can actually stunt the weight loss and make yourself pretty miserable. I applaud your goals, though. From 300 to 200 is a dramatic change.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you don't eat enough you can actually stunt the weight loss and make yourself pretty miserable.
The first part of this statement is not true. You do not stunt weight loss by "not eating enough". That is not a thing. The second part of the statement is definitely true though. The best way to fail is to go too hard too fast. It's a marathon not a sprint.

taebin

Khane, are you asserting that "starvation" mode is a myth and your body doesn't lower metabolism to accommodate a severe caloric restriction (sub 1300)?

taebin

This is the part where you link the Minnesota Starvation Experiment for the 14th time.

GjavAXy.jpg