Weight Loss Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Literally everyone talks about starvation mode. So it must be true. Is there some kind of evidence refuting it?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It depends on how one defines "starvation mode." The myth that you go into fat-store mode when low on calories is just that: a myth. The human body can't skip the laws of physics and allow you to be alive without using energy of some form. If you cut your intake down a ton, it means your body has less fuel to work with. You will 100% have side effects such as disorientation, lethargy and lack of energy, as well as possibly cognitive issues if you maintain an incredibly low calorie diet (referred to by some people who don't know what fasting is as "long term fasting") for any extended length of time. But at no point will you not be burning energy, and if you continue to eat at a caloric deficit you will continue to lose weight. The myth originates from the fact that if you are super sedentary, you burn less calories. Having little to no energy coming into your system will make you feel sort of like shit and probably not be nearly as active as normal, so your needs decrease along with the loss of activity. This can lead to slightly decreased weight loss when compared to the same caloric deficit and a higher level of activity.

However, starvation mode as in "you are literally starving" and your body starts burning everything to keep you physically alive is most definitely a thing. It's part of why keto diets are a thing. Your body -always- goes after sugars in the body first as an energy source. When it runs out or starts getting incredibly low, it starts using fats at a higher percentage. When you start getting low as a percentage of intake/bodymass in fats, your body starts consuming proteins. This can lead to degradation of your muscle mass and strength if kept at a very low level and sufficient protein isn't consumed to counterbalance it. It's why ketosis is considered an inherently catabolic diet, as once the fats calories are burned and someone isn't morbidly obese, your body starts synthesizing proteins at a higher rate, which is where the catabolic effect comes from. It's why people with active lifestyles tend to consume more protein than sedentary people while on ketogenic diets as a rule, because to keep a moderate/low protein intake would put their physical strength at risk.

But anyway. Starvation mode is used misleadingly by a lot of people in various ways. Not being able to lose weight while at a clear caloric deficit is most definitely a myth, however. The human body doesn't randomly skip thermodynamic laws when you are on a diet.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It depends on how one defines "starvation mode." The myth that you go into fat-store mode when low on calories is just that: a myth. The human body can't skip the laws of physics and allow you to be alive without using energy of some form. If you cut your intake down a ton, it means your body has less fuel to work with. You will 100% have side effects such as disorientation, lethargy and lack of energy, as well as possibly cognitive issues if you maintain an incredibly low calorie diet (referred to by some people who don't know what fasting is as "long term fasting") for any extended length of time. But at no point will you not be burning energy, and if you continue to eat at a caloric deficit you will continue to lose weight. The myth originates from the fact that if you are super sedentary, you burn less calories. Having little to no energy coming into your system will make you feel sort of like shit and probably not be nearly as active as normal, so your needs decrease along with the loss of activity. This can lead to slightly decreased weight loss when compared to the same caloric deficit and a higher level of activity.

However, starvation mode as in "you are literally starving" and your body starts burning everything to keep you physically alive is most definitely a thing. It's part of why keto diets are a thing. Your body -always- goes after sugars in the body first as an energy source. When it runs out or starts getting incredibly low, it starts using fats at a higher percentage. When you start getting low as a percentage of intake/bodymass in fats, your body starts consuming proteins. This can lead to degradation of your muscle mass and strength if kept at a very low level and sufficient protein isn't consumed to counterbalance it. It's why ketosis is considered an inherently catabolic diet, as once the fats calories are burned and someone isn't morbidly obese, your body starts synthesizing proteins at a higher rate, which is where the catabolic effect comes from. It's why people with active lifestyles tend to consume more protein than sedentary people while on ketogenic diets as a rule, because to keep a moderate/low protein intake would put their physical strength at risk.

But anyway. Starvation mode is used misleadingly by a lot of people in various ways. Not being able to lose weight while at a clear caloric deficit is most definitely a myth, however. The human body doesn't randomly skip thermodynamic laws when you are on a diet.
You took the bait Rezz. They were egging me on.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
But seriously, eat more. You'll be happier and want to continue the weight loss.
Can't stress this enough. My wife wanted to be skinny and was eating around 1000 - 1200 calories / day. Through constant hint and suggestion she started lifting and eating 1600 - 1800 / day. She is consistently happier with her workouts, less cranky in general, not hungry, and also still losing weight. Just a bit slower than a higher deficit, but she doesn't care because it isn't suffering or stressful.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Fuck these losers. Eat even less. If you consumemore than 900 calories per day, flog yourself in penance. Smoke mini-thins to help with the cravings.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's how I'm maintaining on the keto diet by stealing tastes here and there of carbs. A lick of my son's ice cream cone, a couple crackers, etc. Nothing crazy, and depending what else I've eaten that day a lot of times I don't cheat at all. Stalled out for a day or 2 after initial water weight was gone but back on track. 12 lbs down! Marathon, not a sprint!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not been a good week for me so far. I had some fucked up meal times yesterday and my sugar dropped at about 10PM. I actually got super light headed and my vision went crazy (all bright lights around the periphery of my vision). It was rather intense. I had to eat a bunch of chocolate and carbs to bring myself back up. Situations like this make me realize keto may not be in the cards quite yet.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I'd just go for a slow carb decline, and dial it in as your health improves. Crazy Ivan diet changes are difficult to maintain.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Thx to this dieting thing I have finally raised my cooking skill a couple points. I purchased a crock pot last week also!

I made pulled pork, a beef stew, chili, and roasted a chicken in this thing! It's fuckin awesome!

My weight has stayed at 286 now for the last 3 weeks now. That has been with me eating like absolute shit for 2 days last week.

My doctor said overall since my last physical I have lost 37 pounds! My blood pressure was 160/90 little less than a year a go. It was 130/75 as of Monday! She actually lowered the dosage on 2 of the 4 meds. I'm pretty psyched now. I really think I can get down to 250 with a little help within my household. Like no more snacks period when we grocery shop, shit like that. Along with slowly cutting down my portion sizes.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lmao seriously tho man that's awesome. Glad to hear you're doing better.

Removing ALL snacks is a huge leap, I'd suggest doing it if you can. I live alone so it was so easy.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The other day we went out to eat and I ate all my kid's fries. I imagine having older kids I'd be tempted to eat all their snacks in the house