Weight Loss Thread

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I can't wait to hear how trying to exercise six days a week on insufficient calories whilst waiting to adapt to keto goes. Make sure to report in!

Haha motherfucker, if you're waiting for the failure post you are going to be waiting a long fucking while. Like I said, after what I have overcome the last 24 months I could eat saltines and water for the next two years and it wouldn't even phase me. Legitimately life changing shit. I do not give a fuck. I have bigger objectives in mind and the weight is just an obstacle in the way.

And if you're actually curious I am 4 days in and down 3.4 lbs. Under 30 carbs a day and no keto flu symptoms yet. I feel great. Aside from tweaking my back last night when I slipped getting out of the shower I feel better physically than I have in a decade. One thing I've found in life is that the more I put on myself(50+ hours a week job, workout every day, 10-12 hours outside educational studies, going out every chance I get) the more my mind and body are capable of. I wake up every day more energetic and motivated than at any point in my life. Is there a limit? Probably. But I'm going to burn it to the ground until I find it.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, this kind of stuff is why I always make sure to emphasize avoiding injuries. Minor set-backs break your rhythm and I've spoken to plenty of people who get that into that guilt/procrastinate vicious circle because they're hurting themselves from too much intensity, then they have to chill out, and don't easily get back at it when their body is ready for them to. It's not about what you did or didn't do yesterday. Ever. It's about what you do today. Get enough days right and you go in the direction you want, and it only gets easier to nail your goals. Guilt is bullshit.

Walking and swimming are excellent for larger people to get started. The calorie burn from the activity is almost besides the point for most that have never taken their health seriously. The level of understanding they will gain from just paying attention for a few weeks is the key, and chances are good that they'll be looking forward to something more challenging once they start seeing a few positive results. Getting that psychological feedback loop started up is the only way you'll get people to maintain good habits for life.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Haha motherfucker, if you're waiting for the failure post you are going to be waiting a long fucking while. Like I said, after what I have overcome the last 24 months I could eat saltines and water for the next two years and it wouldn't even phase me. Legitimately life changing shit. I do not give a fuck. I have bigger objectives in mind and the weight is just an obstacle in the way.

And if you're actually curious I am 4 days in and down 3.4 lbs. Under 30 carbs a day and no keto flu symptoms yet. I feel great. Aside from tweaking my back last night when I slipped getting out of the shower I feel better physically than I have in a decade. One thing I've found in life is that the more I put on myself(50+ hours a week job, workout every day, 10-12 hours outside educational studies, going out every chance I get) the more my mind and body are capable of. I wake up every day more energetic and motivated than at any point in my life. Is there a limit? Probably. But I'm going to burn it to the ground until I find it.

Bro, no one wants you to fail. Just the opposite. But for real, science tells us that people who drop weight on crash diets WILL gain it back. Seriously, the most depressing 5 year numbers of all time. And that's what we should all be focusing on here. Not a year from now, 5-10 years from now. Are you developing a lifestyle that you can sustain? Because that is the test, losing weight is a project. Projects have a beginning, middle, and end. You need a lifestyle. We all do. Diet is a part of that lifestyle, and this 800 calorie shit isn't the answer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
And if you're actually curious I am 4 days in and down 3.4 lbs. .

It's called water weight. And I was specifically referring to your ability to sustain working out 6 days a week.

You're doing long duration cardio right? There is zero chance of you being able to run as fast or as long on keto as you did previously. It's a fact.

I already told you that keto isn't going to speed things up, not when you're already starving yourself.

You're just making things more difficult by a) needlessly denying yourself certain foods b) by removing the primary fuel your body uses for workouts.

Last edited:

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider

This is a really dangerous/stupid position to take. Ossoi may be an annoying tick most of the time, but he has a point. If you're working out 6 days a week, I highly suggest you start incorporating carb feeding windows into your lifestyle. You won't fall out of keto, but it will help you keep the intensity up during your workouts.

Are you running? Lifting weights?

As for your weight loss, it is almost entirely due to water depletion and glycogen store depletion. You haven't lost even .1 pound of fat right now. 4 days in means you haven't even begun "adapting." Those symptoms will come soon, I promise, and you're going to feel like shit and most likely regress. I've seen it a million times, no need to be stubborn. There's tons of information on how to lift with intensity while dieting down on keto, and a lot of them incorporate refeeds and other ways of introducing carbs to your system without throwing yourself out of wack.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
How do you all (ie, other people) handle people that are clearly not truthful about their intake when talking about weightloss? I just normally go "Well, if you were consuming that amount, you should be lighter. Are those numbers accurate?" and go from there.

I have been as truthful as I can, in fact, I have a journal that I write down everything I've eaten. I am losing about what any average person should be losing now that I've lost my body weight. On my ~800-~1400 calorie a day diet, I'm losing about 5-7lb per week. I weighted in at 284.0 on saturday AM and was 282 this AM, so that's 2 pounds in 3 days, so will be a 5 day week. Looking at my journal, I've not deviated whatsoever from my usual plan. But from listening to you and Ossoi, it sounds like I should be losing this 10-15 pounds weekly forever.

And Ossoi, I'm not bringing politics into this thread. You have every right to call me a fucking idiot I don't really care what people call me. But you know what? My blood sugars are normal, I no longer sleep with a CPAP (I posted ages ago about waking up at night not able to breathe but a sleep test was normal, but in-person sleep test diagnosed OSA gg), I am no longer taking metformin, and feel better than I have in 15 years. Next time I go in for blood work I'm expecting my A1C to be in the low 6, or high 5s instead of the 6.6 it was before this diet, meaning I beat type 2 (and plan to keep it that way).

No one, including me, is saying you're wrong. I'm quite sure there are drawbacks to this situation. But the diet and lifestyle isn't over once I'm 175-200lb. I know this, and already have committed myself to a total and complete lifestyle change until I die. Until you're 300, or 400, or 500 pounds, I think it's not very realistic to shout down at people who are trying to make lifestyle choices here to better their lives. You're basically the rich guy yelling at the poor people saying "all you have to do is get a fucking job you fucking idiots". There are many factors to consider, and I think one of the key differences between your posting and Rezz, is that Rezz considers these other factors and his posts come across more trying to help, rather than just yelling and screaming and going on and on about how great of a workout plan you have and how great you take care of yourself. What do you want us to say? Shit we fucked up? What I am doing is working for me and working considerably better than anything else I've ever tried in the past, and I've felt great this entire time. Why you are taking such great offense to people who are trying to make a positive change in their long-term health I do not understand. Seriously.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
And did I misread that or did AladainAF seriously just say he's eating 800 calories per day?

Yes, and it's very common with 30+ BMI people when monitored by a doctor, which I've repeatedly said mine is. Diets like Medifast, Ideal Protein, etc etc are all 800ish calorie diets.

Very Low-calorie Diets

edit: not even going to bother with the rest.

Last edited:

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
For the record, I had a couple of drinks and a literal ball of blubber was lying to me on the phone about his weight and diet antics. I don't like doing multi-post sprees if I can possibly avoid it, so I edited it into my previous post. Wasn't actually targeting anyone here, just my slightly shorter and mostly full of crap friend whom is just straight fabricating information. If I call him a liar it's not going to change his antics, but I'm pretty sure both of us are very aware he's full of crap. The only positive result I've ever had with people I -know- aren't being super accurate, is to just keep plugging away at the accuracy. *shrug* I was legitimately curious if people had better luck with other tactics, because in most cases "You're a liar" doesn't inspire people to listen to you more attentively

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
For the record, I had a couple of drinks and a literal ball of blubber was lying to me on the phone about his weight and diet antics. I don't like doing multi-post sprees if I can possibly avoid it, so I edited it into my previous post. Wasn't actually targeting anyone here, just my slightly shorter and mostly full of crap friend whom is just straight fabricating information. If I call him a liar it's not going to change his antics, but I'm pretty sure both of us are very aware he's full of crap. The only positive result I've ever had with people I -know- aren't being super accurate, is to just keep plugging away at the accuracy. *shrug* I was legitimately curious if people had better luck with other tactics, because in most cases "You're a liar" doesn't inspire people to listen to you more attentively

Honestly, most fat people are in denial. I was when I was 250.. 260.. 270.... 310... Eventually when you start facing life choices here... (like being type 2 diabetic) it catches up to you. That's why all this "fat is beautiful" and "I love my 500lb body" tumblr garbage is absolutely hideous, not only from a visual standpoint, but in general. It sends a straight up wrong message. Everyone should be fat shamed, including me :).

• 1Like

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Honestly, most fat people are in denial. I was when I was 250.. 260.. 270.... 310... Eventually when you start facing life choices here... (like being type 2 diabetic) it catches up to you. That's why all this "fat is beautiful" and "I love my 500lb body" tumblr garbage is absolutely hideous, not only from a visual standpoint, but in general. It sends a straight up wrong message. Everyone should be fat shamed, including me :).

Most people don't understand how calories work, I talked to some dude the other day who kept talking about how it's impossible for him to get over 170 lbs, we were in a big group so I didn't want to get into the talk about how to fitness but it's all very basic calories in vs calories out. How you go about dealing with it is a whole subject you aspies can argue about though.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Diets like Medifast, Ideal Protein, etc etc are all 800ish calorie diets.
They are called PSMF - Protein Sparing Modified Fast. Thats the fastest possible way for really fat people that need to lose weight fast, but its actually fasting and not a "diet", as in: things you eat to sustain your body in the long run.

Also, what most people don't know: There is a limit how much energy your body can get out of its fat storage per day. It's around 31 kcal per lb of bodyfat:
A limit on the energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia. - PubMed - NCBI

Any daily deficit more than that and it will try to do anything to reduce energy load. Since it can't shrink your brain it will try to lose the muscles, even if you train them. Or, especially if you train them, because your body can't repair the muscle damage since it needs the protein to keep the lights on.

So if you are on the fat end of the spectrum it is entirely possible to sustain yourself on your bodyfat alone, so the PSMF does work for you - for now. But once you lose a lot of it you can't get enough energy out of your bodyfat and you'll go into starvation mode and will lose muscle.

My advice: use a caliper or a bodyscan scale to get a rough estimate your bodyfat percentage (yes, they suck, but a rough estimate is better than none), calculcate how many pounds of bodyfat your body carries around and calculate what your maximum possible daily deficit is. Good luck.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
You're basically the rich guy yelling at the poor people saying "all you have to do is get a fucking job you fucking idiots"

I think a better analogy is that the people starving themselves are unemployed and desperate to get a job, so they sign up to Trump University because they think that will improve their prospects. Meanwhile, myself and everyone else is sat on the sidelines with our heads in our hands

I think one of the key differences between your posting and Rezz, is that Rezz considers these other factors and his posts come across more trying to help
.[/QUOTE]

And LOL, don't act like I'm some kind of internet bully.

You and several others descended on to the old weight loss thread and all started posting about eating ridiculously low calories for your weights. I told you all that you were under-eating, multiple people agreed with me but nobody seemed to take any notice, and then you started giving out advice. So yeah, someone 2 weeks into a shitty diet really isn't qualified nor should be dishing out the same shitty advice to other people.

Caliane

Trying to increase cal intake and protein ala Ossoi almost killed me.(not really, well yes to almost killed part.)

Managed to get a piece of chicken lodged in my esophagus on monday evening. Thought I coughed/puked it up. But, was still gagging on water full swigs. medium attempts would catch either high at the larynx or low in esophagus-gagging, choking, vomit, or very slow would still build up resulting in hiccups, which would regurgitate anything that made it in.
when to the walk in yesterday am immediately, not super helpful, scheduled an upper GI on the 11th. by, 7pm was super dehydrated. said fuck, went to the ER. got me on saline over night. Endoscopy this morning. fucking piece of chicken lodged in the lower esophagus, which didn't come out despite repeated vomit, belch, hiccups, etc. but I can eat and drink again..

I don't normally eat chicken. fucking chicken.

puree and fluids.
Any "soft" food ideas for the next two weeks?

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Just eat:

Chicken
Broccoli/Asapargus/Green Beans/Lettuce/Carrotts
Black Beans
Eggs
Lite Greek Yogurt
Protein shakes w/ almond milk
Some rice

And stay away from processed bullshit you buy in bags like chips, cookies, candy, cereal etc

I honestly think it would be VERY DIFFICULT to get fat eating only the foods above.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
At least for me the key to losing weight was to find a few meals that taste good and are low calorie, and to stick to a cycle of these foods until you lose the weight. The 2nd key was to make sure your house ONLY has these foods stocked, and that your fridge/pantry has nothing stocked that you can cheat with. I constantly see-saw in a 20 pound window, but at 5'8" there's a big difference between weighing 160 and 180. I honestly don't know how people manage to make it up 250lbs without keeling over, because even at 185 I felt like shit, slept like shit, and had pre-diabetes..

Some good meal ideas:

Greek salad with feta cheese, light dressing, and grilled chicken breast. Filling and low cal. This is my go to meal.
Pounded chicken breast coated in panko bread crumbs and flash fried in olive oil. Has less calories than you'd think.
Hamburger with no cheese or bun
Falafel with lots of veggies and hummus
Grilled salmon steak

Snacks:
Greek yogurt with honey and sliced bananas/strawberries
Pita chips with hummus
Light cheddar with crackers
low sugar cereal with 1% milk and fresh fruit

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yup this. It's 8pm, I would certainly love a double cheeseburger instead of a salad, but too lazy to get in the car and go get it.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Just eat:

Chicken
Broccoli/Asapargus/Green Beans/Lettuce/Carrotts
Black Beans
Eggs
Lite Greek Yogurt
Protein shakes w/ almond milk
Some rice

And stay away from processed bullshit you buy in bags like chips, cookies, candy, cereal etc

I honestly think it would be VERY DIFFICULT to get fat eating only the foods above.

It's really not that difficult, though. One of my staple dinners is 1.3 pounds of ground turkey, a vidalia onion, and a green pepper tossed in a pan till cooked. I don't even use any oil, and that's nearly 1k calories for a single meal of nothing but "healthy" food. Portion size is just as important as the kind of food you eat.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ground turkey isn't that healthy.

It also isn't that fucking tasty, especially if you're getting 99%.