Weight Loss Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yes, it does. If you work and have a family and do literally ANYTHING else, you have to plan meticulously to get those 3 meals cooked and you have to precook at least 1 of those meals every single day. It is the same planning, you're just changing a couple of variables in the equation.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yes, it does. If you work and have a family and do literally ANYTHING else, you have to plan meticulously to get those 3 meals cooked and you have to precook at least 1 of those meals every single day. It is the same planning, you're just changing a couple of variables in the equation.
Well I am talking from MY OWN PERSONAL experience, I'm not married and I don't have kids and I never precooked anything. My 3 meals a day "trying to eat healthy" looked like this on a typical work day:

830am 200g smoked salmon for breakfast
12pm half a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket with 100g olives or similar side, eg sundried tomatoes etc
630pm Steak with sweet potato

The hardest part was getting from Lunch to Dinner without snacking on any extras. I'd frequently grab a pack of ready to eat swedish meatballs on the way home from work to keep me going until my dinner was ready. I also did most of my shopping at the local convenience store as opposed to the bigger supermarkets. Eating 6 x a day means a) I never go hungry between meals b) I cook all my food the night before c) I'm doing bigger shops at the bigger supermarkets and so always have food in the fridge to prepare

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I used to buy a lot of chicken breast when I was serious into weight lifting. I mean like a 3 lb. pack every couple days (my freezer had like 50 lbs in there at some points). What I would do is cut them in half (butterfly, flatten, whatever works) and grill an entire pack. I'd then cook a fuckton of brown rice and broccoli. Easy enough, and that was meals for a few days. Probably took 30 minutes to prepare. Not many people want to eat chicken, brown rice, and broccoli all day everyday though.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
When your body consumes more energy than it uses, it will store excess energy as fat. If it consumes less energy than it uses, it will make up the difference by (largely) taking it from that fat. There is no "fat storage mode" triggered by meeting some sort of calorie threshold in a single meal vs consuming the same amount spread out during the day. It's all about the net energy balance in vs out.
This is not true, not at all.

You are ignoring a vast array of well studied and well-known hormone signalling mechanisms that are the actual reason you store or use fat. A human is not a calorimeter that perfectly reduces food to heat, metabolism is a complex biochemical process that is far more nuanced than "calories in/calories out". You can starve yourself and still get fat, you can eat everything in sight and not gain an ounce.

If you really want to understand the nature of fat gain then readDr. Lustig's Bookor even just do some quick reading on Wikipedia about Insulin and Leptin.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I used to buy a lot of chicken breast when I was serious into weight lifting. I mean like a 3 lb. pack every couple days (my freezer had like 50 lbs in there at some points). What I would do is cut them in half (butterfly, flatten, whatever works) and grill an entire pack. I'd then cook a fuckton of brown rice and broccoli. Easy enough, and that was meals for a few days. Probably took 30 minutes to prepare. Not many people want to eat chicken, brown rice, and broccoli all day everyday though.
That's actually what I do. Grilled chicken, broccoli, and brown rice. All the damn time. Although I've been changing up the brown rice to pasta occasionally because apparently brown rice has a fuck load of arsenic. I can basically make enough in an hour to eat for the entire week, although I try not to since I'm dubious about leaving chicken in the fridge for a week.

Just go out and buy a ton of cheap tupperware. You can go to a dollar store or something and get it for super cheap.

Pack of chicken, a few pounds of rice, frozen broccoli (although my wife likes to buy it fresh, so most of the time it's fresh broccoli, even though I tell her frozen is healthier...fresh is cheaper though) a gallon of milk, and a dozen and a half of eggs, and I have about 1/2 my calories for the week for maybe $20.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you're trying to lose weight, might want to lower the brown rice and not sure pasta would be an ideal choice - though they probably have similar carbs.

darkko_sl

shitlord
I've started doing Insanity lately along with soccer on the weekends. My daily meal plan looks like this (I've tweaked it a bit from a previous post)

Breakfast:
1 Cup Steel Cut Oats
1 Scoop Whey Protein
3/4 Cup Blueberries
1.5 Tbsp Walnuts
Splash of 1% Milk

Mid Morning:
1 Serving Kobani Greek Yogurt (plain)
1 Tbsp walnuts
Banana

Lunch
Red Romaine Lettue (2 cups)
Spincah (2 cups)
4 oz Chicken
Cucumber
Spoonful of Feta Cheese
Small amount of Olive oil (small spoon)
Lemon Juice
Baby Carrots

Mid afternoon:
Apple
Protein Bar (20g protein, 0 sugar)

Dinner:
Chicken, salmon, pasta etc.

Usually hit right at where I need to be according to Fitday app. If we have something a little on the unhealthy side for dinner I'm much more conscious lately of eating a smaller portion of it.

I've said it before, but making steel cut oats on Sunday for 30 minutes is super easy and only takes a minute or so to reheat in the microwave each morning.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Pack of chicken, a few pounds of rice, frozen broccoli (although my wife likes to buy it fresh, so most of the time it's fresh broccoli, even though I tell her frozen is healthier...fresh is cheaper though) a gallon of milk, and a dozen and a half of eggs, and I have about 1/2 my calories for the week for maybe $20.
Why is frozen broccoli healthier?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well I am talking from MY OWN PERSONAL experience, I'm not married and I don't have kids and I never precooked anything. My 3 meals a day "trying to eat healthy" looked like this on a typical work day:

830am 200g smoked salmon for breakfast
12pm half a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket with 100g olives or similar side, eg sundried tomatoes etc
630pm Steak with sweet potato

The hardest part was getting from Lunch to Dinner without snacking on any extras. I'd frequently grab a pack of ready to eat swedish meatballs on the way home from work to keep me going until my dinner was ready. I also did most of my shopping at the local convenience store as opposed to the bigger supermarkets. Eating 6 x a day means a) I never go hungry between meals b) I cook all my food the night before c) I'm doing bigger shops at the bigger supermarkets and so always have food in the fridge to prepare
Well to be fair, you're only really cooking one meal here, everything else is premade, unless you're smoking your own salmon. My experience is that like most people here, eve when I didn't have a family and stuff I had disposable income. More then, actually. So you make some plans for meals, then you get off work, come home, and it becomes easy to talk yourself into eating out. Much easier if you don't have a meal plan. The meal plan is like the basic thing you need to be successful, at least in my experience. The different between planning for 3 and planning for 6 meals is scale really. And if you're single, forget about it, that shit is easy.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Does anyone have a rough estimate what the lowest calories you should go for men and women (they are different) are? I ask because as my fiance has been losing a lot of weight, her caloric goal according to our app has gone down to and stayed at 1200. At 1200 you're basically not eating anything, and I wonder if she's realistically not supposed to be that low. She really looks like she's not able to eat a lot. I mean breakfast for her is 300-400 (she has a very physical job so we load up a bit), dinner is around 600ish on the average, and that leaves not much room for anything else. She has lost 20 pounds in about 5-6 months, so nothing drastic.. just curious if she's set too low.

For reference she's 5'0" 98 pounds. I feel dirty writing that. I don't know why.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why is frozen broccoli healthier?
It may not be the case with broccoli, but many vegetables are picked underripe and then shipped to grocery stores, whereas frozen are basically fully ripened and then flash frozen. That extra time ripening apparently imparts additional nutritients. I don't know how much science is actually behind that, but that's the theory. Although, now that I'm living in California, my produce is probably fresher for the most part. So it may be a case where it doesn't matter.

If you're trying to lose weight, might want to lower the brown rice and not sure pasta would be an ideal choice - though they probably have similar carbs.
I'm actually putting on weight, but I check into this thread often.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What vegetables are picked early? I know tomatoes are, and fuck any tomato that isn't vine ripened. Mushy bland shit.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also, Noodle, it takes some calculating. First you need to find the person's BMR. It's not 100% accurate, but it's a good estimate of the minimum amount of calories to basically keep your organs running. From there, you have to add in any activities. That's ALL activities, so walking, talking, eating, shitting, showering, brushing your teeth...up to exercise.

Your fiance's BMR is probably between 1200-1300 calories. Which, if she's just going to work every day and that's it, she's probably in the 1800 calorie a day range to maintain her weight. Which means she's severely undereating. And since she's probably getting ready for the wedding or whatever, she'll probably start retaining fat as her body goes into starvation mode and shuts down.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We actually run a few miles every other night, and her job is like 75% walking (mail carrier). So figure she's walking around with a 35-45 pound bag for 6 hours or more per day.

She could probably maintain her weight adding in 500 or more calories per day.

1200 calories? 98lbs? I get that she's 5'0'', but that's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too low.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
She could probably maintain her weight adding in 500 or more calories per day.

1200 calories? 98lbs? I get that she's 5'0'', but that's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too low.
I was basically looking for some proof of this. She has used the app (myFitnessPal or something) for 6 months and has lost a lot of weight, so she swears by it. I've told her "look, I am pretty sure you are at a threshhold that you aren't supposed to go below ever to function." I thought I read before on some website where it listed absolute minimum calories that regardless or any information people told you never to go below. I thought it was 1200 for women, but I can't be sure and my work is blocking weird websites.

If I have proof and make her look she might listen. Right now, even though she's hungry and is skipping lunch - she's still following the 1200 to an exact amount every day. If she goes 100 over she gets upset.

The kicker is, at this point she's wanting to maintain her weight because she just got her dress finished and we get married in ~1 month. Even though she's trying to maintain, she's still eating only 1200. I'm not sure the algorithm, but I'm pretty sure what the app is doing is going "she needs 1700 to maintain, to lose weight you need to cutout 500 calories each day = bam 1200". Or it might even be actually lower for her maintenance, something like 1500 would make sense, and since you don't want to go below 1200 that's what it's setting it at.

Sorry, long post. Just looking for a study or some kind of information on this.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Eating 6 meals a day requires a planned weekly shop and cooking your meals in advance, therefore there is less chance of being caught without food at home andordering a Dominosinstead.
Eating 3 meals per day requires the same planning, that makes zero sense.
So you make some plans for meals, then you get off work, come home, and itbecomes easy to talk yourself into eating out.Much easier if you don't have a meal plan. The meal plan is like the basic thing you need to be successful, at least in my experience
SPEECHLESS

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We think of eating disorders as literally starving yourself or forced vomiting. But I've read about women who exercise and everyone thinks they just eat right and are in great shape, but in reality they are malnourishing themselves in fear of putting on weight. I don't know the answer but something to think about.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I was basically looking for some proof of this. She has used the app (myFitnessPal or something) for 6 months and has lost a lot of weight, so she swears by it. I've told her "look, I am pretty sure you are at a threshhold that you aren't supposed to go below ever to function." I thought I read before on some website where it listed absolute minimum calories that regardless or any information people told you never to go below. I thought it was 1200 for women, but I can't be sure and my work is blocking weird websites.

If I have proof and make her look she might listen. Right now, even though she's hungry and is skipping lunch - she's still following the 1200 to an exact amount every day. If she goes 100 over she gets upset.

The kicker is, at this point she's wanting to maintain her weight because she just got her dress finished and we get married in ~1 month. Even though she's trying to maintain, she's still eating only 1200. I'm not sure the algorithm, but I'm pretty sure what the app is doing is going "she needs 1700 to maintain, to lose weight you need to cutout 500 calories each day = bam 1200". Or it might even be actually lower for her maintenance, something like 1500 would make sense, and since you don't want to go below 1200 that's what it's setting it at.

Sorry, long post. Just looking for a study or some kind of information on this.
Don't worry. Once you're officially married she'll let herself go and fatten up quite nicely, I'm sure.