Weight Loss Thread

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I won a 6 month gym membership so I put myself back in the gym after about 10 years. Things I have noticed have changed over time. I am a free weight guy so seeing all these machines that use your weight are different. Also, while I am quite familiar with yoga pants I had never seen until today yoga short shorts. They look like yoga pants but barely cover the ass. I approve of this look.

Until you see it worn by people of walmart style

• 1Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I don't know if I should even say this, but as a "break glass in case of emergency" thing Adderall seems to melt fat. It both A) Kills your appetite (to the point that you have to remember to eat for your health) and B) Gives you more motivation/drive which helps with working out regularly.

But it really is a break glass in case of emergency thing, cause abusing Adderall could probably also make somebody's heart explode. So take it as prescribed, go for low-dose and don't fuck with anything beyond that. They'll give it to anybody who seems to have ADHD. I haven't gotten it for a while now because it actually made me TOO productive to the point where I'd sleep like 3 hours a night and started feeling sick all the time. But it sure did help me finish school (and I DO have some serious ADHD). I also worked out a lot when I was on it, was effortless to hit the gym. Wish I could feel like that normally.

Regardless of all of that, dieting and exercise are the ways to go under all circumstances aside from the most dire "nothing else is working and I'm not gonna make it to 40" scenario.

I've never had to deal with being overweight...much. 5'11'' and have varied between 175 and 180 depending on what kind of shape I'm in. One time a couple years ago when I was depressed, I started putting weight on and quickly ballooned up to 198, almost entirely in my gut region which turned into a barrel. I did NOT want to go over 200 and didn't like what I saw in the mirror so I started working out again and stopped gobbling up piles of junk food every day. Within a few weeks I was back to normal. Wasn't easy, and I realized I'd been using the junk food as sort of a coping mechanism, not unlike taking drugs to deal with being so goddamn depressed and beat-up some years.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I won a 6 month gym membership so I put myself back in the gym after about 10 years. Things I have noticed have changed over time. I am a free weight guy so seeing all these machines that use your weight are different. Also, while I am quite familiar with yoga pants I had never seen until today yoga short shorts. They look like yoga pants but barely cover the ass. I approve of this look.

I think yoga short-shorts are gonna be the next big trend for young women. Black leggings are played-out and boring as fuck. The style should evolve into patterned leggings being more common (or in the interest of decorum, girls wearing skirts over leggings again). However, all modern style trends seem to gravitate towards "be as slutty as you can get away with" and that means yoga short-shorts, and eventually Yoga Underwear that is basically just a bikini that is socially acceptable to wear (alongside a coat or sweater...the fuck)

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think yoga short-shorts are gonna be the next big trend for young women. Black leggings are played-out and boring as fuck. The style should evolve into patterned leggings being more common (or in the interest of decorum, girls wearing skirts over leggings again). However, all modern style trends seem to gravitate towards "be as slutty as you can get away with" and that means yoga short-shorts, and eventually Yoga Underwear that is basically just a bikini that is socially acceptable to wear (alongside a coat or sweater...the fuck)
I am 100% on board with yoga underwear. Gurl Power!!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Since the rona started I started going to the gym and lifting regularly. Throughout my 20s I was mega into endurance sports (triathlons, long distance biking, running). I literally never picked up a weight from probably age 20 to age 32 or so. Now I am lifting a lot and I think I need to refine my diet some

I never really ate like shit but I want it to be better than it is to cut some weight. I've reached a point in my life where I am regularly told I am "jacked" in public which has never happened to me before. I never really intended to gain muscle mass as I just liked the stress relief of going to the gym. But it happened anyway.

I am a fairly large person in general and my peak endurance sport fitness when I was like 25 or so was like 218lbs at 6'3. This is when I was doing century rides weekly. At age 35 and 2 years of regular lifting I am now at 250 and I think I can trim down to like 235 or something from where I am right now.

I am including a lot more cardio in my routine than I was previously so my next step is adjusting diet. I never eat dinner (never eat past like 4pm) with breakfast being my biggest meal by far. I just need to cut out my social time of being at the pub some or alter it. We'll see how it goes.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am including a lot more cardio in my routine than I was previously so my next step is adjusting diet. I never eat dinner (never eat past like 4pm) with breakfast being my biggest meal by far. I just need to cut out my social time of being at the pub some or alter it. We'll see how it goes.
This is sort of where I am right now. I am approaching 60 and dont need to be focused on lifting like I did when I was in my 20's. I am really spending a good amount of time on cardio because at my age that is the one muscle I really care about. The first week on the stairmaster was fucking torture but I am feeling like I hit peak out of shape pain and last night was my first night without thinking "omfg I am going to die on this fucking thing".

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Since the rona started I started going to the gym and lifting regularly. Throughout my 20s I was mega into endurance sports (triathlons, long distance biking, running). I literally never picked up a weight from probably age 20 to age 32 or so. Now I am lifting a lot and I think I need to refine my diet some

I never really ate like shit but I want it to be better than it is to cut some weight. I've reached a point in my life where I am regularly told I am "jacked" in public which has never happened to me before. I never really intended to gain muscle mass as I just liked the stress relief of going to the gym. But it happened anyway.

I am a fairly large person in general and my peak endurance sport fitness when I was like 25 or so was like 218lbs at 6'3. This is when I was doing century rides weekly. At age 35 and 2 years of regular lifting I am now at 250 and I think I can trim down to like 235 or something from where I am right now.

How are you juggling cardio with your lifting routine? I want some more cardio too but don't want to be gassed when going to lift. I want my cardio to be a combo of bike/row machine

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
How are you juggling cardio with your lifting routine? I want some more cardio too but don't want to be gassed when going to lift. I want my cardio to be a combo of bike/row machine
15-30 mins before lifting in the spin bike in the gym. Then a 3-5 mile walk (less than 2 hours) in the evening before sleeping.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If you going to do cardio on lifting days, do it after you lift.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Been working from home for 2 years now, so definitely had to do a lot more work to keep up the health.

Right now I do cardio almost every morning, row machine for 20 minutes (150-200 reps) to get the day going. I lift weights 3x a week, usually in later afternoon (4-6 pm). At my age, cardio definitely seems like a bigger priority than weight lifting

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you do cardio before lifting youre just taking 2 steps back.
I don't need to gain more mass so I don't really give a shit. I like getting my HR/sweat up and going before I lift.

Then maintain a 135+ HR the entire lifting session. Never waiting more than 45 seconds between any set.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Been working from home for 2 years now, so definitely had to do a lot more work to keep up the health.

Right now I do cardio almost every morning, row machine for 20 minutes (150-200 reps) to get the day going. I lift weights 3x a week, usually in later afternoon (4-6 pm). At my age, cardio definitely seems like a bigger priority than weight lifting
Yeah, only thing that changed for me is running is certainly harder than it was in my 20s. Biking is still my preferred method though so it works out. Need to get my long distance bike game back up. But my area for biking is shit now with all this construction going on when it used to be quite ideal (Texas hill country). But since I am moving deep into the Hill Country I'll be back in prime biking area again.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't need to gain more mass so I don't really give a shit. I like getting my HR up and going before I lift.

Then maintain a 135+ HR the entire lifting session. Never waiting more than 45 seconds between any set.
Gain more mass? Thats irrelevent to the conversation. Exercise doesnt make you gain weight.

Doing cardio before lifting fatigues your muscles so you cant push as hard and increases chance of injury. You do you, but doing cardio after lifting is more beneficial than before.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Gain more mass? Thats irrelevent to the conversation. Exercise doesnt make you gain weight.

Doing cardio before lifting fatigues your muscles so you cant push as hard and increases chance of injury. You do you, but doing cardio after lifting is more beneficial than before.
I never do PR or any kind of big weight shit so I guess it was never a problem.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, only thing that changed for me is running is certainly harder than it was in my 20s. Biking is still my preferred method though so it works out. Need to get my long distance bike game back up. But my area for biking is shit now with all this construction going on when it used to be quite ideal (Texas hill country). But since I am moving deep into the Hill Country I'll be back in prime biking area again.

I did a lot of biking in Chicago just because it was easy to get around on a bike 9 months out of the year but always disliked the fact that only half your body is getting movement. Elliptical was my go to for years but couldnt put it in my basement gym since the ceilings were only 7 feet tall. So I ended up doing the row machine. I dont really like it and Im not sure I ever will, but it seems like the best compromise to get all parts of the body moving at 7 am.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

I linked the full podcast with this Andy Galpin guy above, but here’s the chapter specifically on mixing cardio and resistance training. Also, he has a shit ton of content in his own channel.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Dont get me wrong, excercise is great and key but youre not going to exercise your way out of a shit diet. Diet is key for losing weight.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Everyone here is right to a degree. You can work out a lot and still be unhealthy if you eat like shit. But you can also be at a healthy weight and still be unhealthy if you eat like shit but just portion control. Also, there's more to health than a number and your heart. There's joint and bone health and other health benefits to exercising that goes beyond the number on the scale. So at the end of the day its a combination of eating right, portion control, and cardio/working out.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Diet is super important for weight loss but the body also needs to be put under other stresses in order to remain younger and healthier. Exercise alone is not a solution to being fat, but the increase in metabolism does help with losing weight and provides many other benefits, physical and mental.