Weight Loss Thread

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Keto did help out when I decided to try to un-trainwreck my body, not because it was magical, but because it was easy as shit to manage, and when you're trying to fix a half dozen habits/problems with your life at once (which the kind of people I mostly see go on keto are, since it's usually someone looking in the mirror and going "Jesus fuck what is my life") reducing the mental load of individual habit changes helps reduce the chances of going "this is all overwhelming, fuck it I'm out." just grab a fist sized chunk of meat, maybe a slice of cheese, and a bag of steamed veg and you're done planning your meal. Greens and meat have much more consistent physical size to calorie equivalents.

I would have probably gotten better results with a measured out balanced meal planning, but when I was changing eating behavior, exercise behavior, and career field at the same time, I was thankful for the simplicity
Truth.
Its hard to fuck up protein and a choosing from a half dozen veggies, plus salad every day. You have to honestly try to fuck it up.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The best diet is the one you can stick with?

Chocolate all day!

and beer

and waffles

• 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I dropped the carnivore diet and I just trying to stay low carb with the 16/8 intermittent fasting. I am moving toward a 20/4 and eventually would like to do the one meal a day Warrior, but I need to work up to that especially with this level of exercise. I plan to add in some yoga toward the end of the month and for sure in September.
A lot of people say they're fasting but actually aren't. They think they can drink fruit juice or coffee or an energy drink or have a tiny snack during their 16 hour fasting period but the reality is if you're consuming basically anything other than water, you're not actually fasting. You can't chew gum, you can't drink even a zero calorie energy drink or even have a single potato chip. So I'm curious how many people here aren't actually fasting but think they are.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
A lot of people say they're fasting but actually aren't. They think they can drink fruit juice or coffee or an energy drink or have a tiny snack during their 16 hour fasting period but the reality is if you're consuming basically anything other than water, you're not actually fasting. You can't chew gum, you can't drink even a zero calorie energy drink or even have a single potato chip. So I'm curious how many people here aren't actually fasting but think they are.
Bro it's totally okay. I only drink soda while fasting, but the soda is FLAT.

• 1Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It also says in the next paragraph, that it did not affect fat loss. Fasting isnt any magic trick. It just helps people control calorie intake. Which makes you lose weight. Weird!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I’ve read that it isn’t any better for fat loss, I figured more studies referenced is better than arguing about methods of carb counting.
Whatever works for you and helps to get to goals.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

I've never heard anyone claim that black coffee breaks the fast. The one doctor I've heard talk about it said anything under 50 calories isn't breaking your fast. It pauses it but your body quickly gets back to it.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I've never heard anyone claim that black coffee breaks the fast. The one doctor I've heard talk about it said anything under 50 calories isn't breaking your fast. It pauses it but your body quickly gets back to it.
Dude it's Lumi, you don't debate him you mock him.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lumi

Vyemm Raider

Eh there are a couple exceptions that are debatable but most agree that fasting should just be water as that will guarantee the purest and best possible results.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Please stop listening to the "LoL, it's just calories in vs calories out' people. It is a tautological argument. Of course it is about calories in versus calories out because it has to be, that is the mechanism of weight loss. That is like saying the amount of water in a sink is all about how much water you are putting into it versus how much you are draining. Of fucking course it is, that is the mechanism of filling a sink.

Your body isn't a blast calorimeter. You don't put a lump of food into your body and then have it incinerated into an amount of calories that are either spent or stored. You ingest food and break it down through a complicated digestion process that is heavily influenced by your hormones and the composition of the calories ingested. If it was as simple as the CI/CO crowd states, then it would be trivially easy to determine exactly how many calories are burned doing various activities as well as exactly how much waste someone would generate. But it isn't that easy, and we can't do that because it is most definitely not simply adding the numbers from the boxes and subtracting the numbers on the treadmill.

Weight loss is about relentlessly experimenting with your diet to figure out the best way to for you personally to control over-consumption based on your genetics and personality. There is no denying that it is possible for a subset of people to eat whatever they want all the time and not gain weight. There is another subset that is okay with being hungry all the time and prefer to eat a diet that is high in shitty calories that they enjoy at the cost of not feeling satiated most of the time. Me, I hate being hungry so I've settled on a diet where I eat as much as I fucking want every day of foods that I mostly enjoy while also designating one day a week of eating complete trash that I know isn't good for me but is delicious. This method allows me to stay lean while not feeling like I'm sacrificing anything, thus it is sustainable for life. I'll probably have to modify this approach the older I get as my hormone profile will change with age, but at 41 it works. Figure out what type of person you are then experiment to see what your genetics will let you get away with. It is the only real way to keep your weight under control for the rest of your life.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Please stop listening to the "LoL, it's just calories in vs calories out' people. It is a tautological argument. Of course it is about calories in versus calories out because it has to be, that is the mechanism of weight loss. That is like saying the amount of water in a sink is all about how much water you are putting into it versus how much you are draining. Of fucking course it is, that is the mechanism of filling a sink.

Your body isn't a blast calorimeter. You don't put a lump of food into your body and then have it incinerated into an amount of calories that are either spent or stored. You ingest food and break it down through a complicated digestion process that is heavily influenced by your hormones and the composition of the calories ingested. If it was as simple as the CI/CO crowd states, then it would be trivially easy to determine exactly how many calories are burned doing various activities as well as exactly how much waste someone would generate. But it isn't that easy, and we can't do that because it is most definitely not simply adding the numbers from the boxes and subtracting the numbers on the treadmill.

Weight loss is about relentlessly experimenting with your diet to figure out the best way to for you personally to control over-consumption based on your genetics and personality. There is no denying that it is possible for a subset of people to eat whatever they want all the time and not gain weight. There is another subset that is okay with being hungry all the time and prefer to eat a diet that is high in shitty calories that they enjoy at the cost of not feeling satiated most of the time. Me, I hate being hungry so I've settled on a diet where I eat as much as I fucking want every day of foods that I mostly enjoy while also designating one day a week of eating complete trash that I know isn't good for me but is delicious. This method allows me to stay lean while not feeling like I'm sacrificing anything, thus it is sustainable for life. I'll probably have to modify this approach the older I get as my hormone profile will change with age, but at 41 it works. Figure out what type of person you are then experiment to see what your genetics will let you get away with. It is the only real way to keep your weight under control for the rest of your life.
Probably one of them ore cogent responses I have seen in here.

tldr: We are all biologically different. Experiment with diets and find the one that works best for your body.

• 1Like

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have a hard time believing that eating very low carbs all the time is a good idea. Until you're reaching the weight you want, or for some specific cases maybe, but the human race is definitely made to occasionnaly eat carbs, at least from fruits.

I believe you gain more from diversifying with fruits than you lose with carbs, especialy if you're in keto regularly