Weight Loss Thread

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I "guess" this can go here. Its Weight Loss, but not... like lose 100 pounds kind of weight loss.

Im trying to cut by a small bit, as Im starting to get some pudge around my sides. My gains have went up substantially since I started "bulking" but.. even counting macro's.. not all days are equal so my pre-planned meals are too much some days and not enough on others. Im up to 218 as of this evening, since really starting into weight lifting back in October. I would like to get back down to ~200, but Im sketch on cutting too hard and too fast, not only because Im afraid Ill lose muscle/power, but because I will nerd rage if Im hungry for too long.

For reference, this is what I worked out for my size and Ive been sticking to it since roughly the end of November (Since I know Ill be asked):
Meal 1: 205gr Eggs, 50gr Oatmeal, 125gr Banana.
Meal 2: 150gr Chicken, 20gr Olive Oil, 185gr White Rice - (oil fits the macros and makes the meal no so plain).
Meal 3: 65gr Protein Powder, 405gr Green Apples
Meal 4: 55gr Lean Ground Turkey, 185 Gr, White Rice
Workout - 780ml "Regular" Gatorade.

I have scales, and measuring cups and all that - but Im just kind of eye balling it since I know roughly what the amount looks like, but its still probably higher than stated.

Now that thats out of the way, on to the actual question.
I was using Complete Nutrition's Hardcore Platinum Burn -
burn-facts.jpg

I wasnt sure if it was doing anything when I was taking it. I felt like I was body temp "hot", but thats it. Now that Ive been away from preworkout for a while, and Im not taking anything like that.. I feel like Im not getting as good of a workout as I used to. My shirt isnt drenched when I leave the gym - but I have a full on hour and a half, to two hour regiment of weight lifting. Wednesdays is my rest/core day, and 30 minutes of stairs is in that - but I guess Im not really "wanting" to focus more on cardio to cut back some of this weight.

Have any of you tried anything like that, that you looked back on and thought it worked well?

(Oh and I take an assortment of Vitamins (Animal Pack, Fish Oil) and Instant Creatine.)

I've also noticed a dip in performance going from pre-workout to non pre-workout, so I'd say go back to taking it. Your options are more cardio or eat less. I know you said you're worried about losing gains, but as long as you continue to workout and get plenty of protein, I wouldn't worry about it. You'd have to cut a ton of calories to trigger your body into starvation mode. Start with a modest cut and go from there.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've also noticed a dip in performance going from pre-workout to non pre-workout, so I'd say go back to taking it. Your options are more cardio or eat less. I know you said you're worried about losing gains, but as long as you continue to workout and get plenty of protein, I wouldn't worry about it. You'd have to cut a ton of calories to trigger your body into starvation mode. Start with a modest cut and go from there.
I mean, do you take any preworkout that doesnt make you feel bloated (well, sort of. Im not a fan of mixes/powders for preworkout)? Seems like the capsules of stuff like I got above are the only ones that dont make me feel some kind of shitty way after leaving the gym.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Never felt bloated from a pre-workout, but I've only tried two brands honestly. Right now I use Ghost pre-workout and haven't had any issues so just stuck with that.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you're feeling bloated also try cutting back on regular fluids. I've always hated the latest buzz around "hydration" and how much people should drink. Your body will tell you when you're thirsty.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If you're feeling bloated also try cutting back on regular fluids. I've always hated the latest buzz around "hydration" and how much people should drink. Your body will tell you when you're thirsty.
I’m with you on the whole “here’s how much you should”. I find I need to drink before I’m actually feeling thirsty. 8+ oz asap after waking up helps quite a bit to set the rest of the day.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I "guess" this can go here. Its Weight Loss, but not... like lose 100 pounds kind of weight loss.

Im trying to cut by a small bit, as Im starting to get some pudge around my sides. My gains have went up substantially since I started "bulking" but.. even counting macro's.. not all days are equal so my pre-planned meals are too much some days and not enough on others. Im up to 218 as of this evening, since really starting into weight lifting back in October. I would like to get back down to ~200, but Im sketch on cutting too hard and too fast, not only because Im afraid Ill lose muscle/power, but because I will nerd rage if Im hungry for too long.

For reference, this is what I worked out for my size and Ive been sticking to it since roughly the end of November (Since I know Ill be asked):
Meal 1: 205gr Eggs, 50gr Oatmeal, 125gr Banana.
Meal 2: 150gr Chicken, 20gr Olive Oil, 185gr White Rice - (oil fits the macros and makes the meal no so plain).
Meal 3: 65gr Protein Powder, 405gr Green Apples
Meal 4: 55gr Lean Ground Turkey, 185 Gr, White Rice
Workout - 780ml "Regular" Gatorade.

I have scales, and measuring cups and all that - but Im just kind of eye balling it since I know roughly what the amount looks like, but its still probably higher than stated.

Now that thats out of the way, on to the actual question.
I was using Complete Nutrition's Hardcore Platinum Burn -
burn-facts.jpg

I wasnt sure if it was doing anything when I was taking it. I felt like I was body temp "hot", but thats it. Now that Ive been away from preworkout for a while, and Im not taking anything like that.. I feel like Im not getting as good of a workout as I used to. My shirt isnt drenched when I leave the gym - but I have a full on hour and a half, to two hour regiment of weight lifting. Wednesdays is my rest/core day, and 30 minutes of stairs is in that - but I guess Im not really "wanting" to focus more on cardio to cut back some of this weight.

Have any of you tried anything like that, that you looked back on and thought it worked well?

(Oh and I take an assortment of Vitamins (Animal Pack, Fish Oil) and Instant Creatine.)

Macrofactorapp.com

I know I shill it a lot, but it's because it fucking works. It really does take the pain out of figuring out exactly what you need. You just put in the info and it does the calculations for you, and it even changes on the fly. So if your activity level changes, it notices, changes your calories appropriately.

Like here, great example. This is a graph of my expenditure daily. You can see it dropping down as the temp gets colder and I spend more time inside playing chess instead of doing yard work.
Screenshot_20240213-225952.png

You know what that is at Nov 15th?

That's when your dog dies. That's right - I went thru all of Thanksgiving and half of December eating like absolute shit, and lost weight because I was so stressed the fuck out. Now how are you gonna know that shit it you're just eyeballing calories?

Use an app. Use this app. Yeah, it's $70/year. But it makes it super easy to hit your goals.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

You gained 20lbs in 2 months?!
I think I may have confused you with when I stated that I started to watch my macro nutrients at the end of November. Altogether, from October to yesterday, Ive gained about 30 pounds. Im also doing TRT, which Ive talked about in another thread and thats contributed a lot to my weight gain. Its effectively changed my entire life for the better as my shit life and habits had cratered my T levels. Point being, while basically being on off brand steroids - Ive gained incredible muscle mass. I started off barely being able to bench, dead lift or squat 150, and now Im well beyond that. Within another 3-5 months, I think Ill hit the 1500 cumulative score and thats my ultimate goal. I havent done all of this by myself, either, as I pay a trainer to help me with everything. The guy I use is just massive - fitness director at the gym I go to, Fitness Coach at Liberty, and a Track and field coach at Lynchburg College. He used to be an Olympic dead lifter until he blew his knee out, and he's been in rehab for it the entire time Ive known him.

Macrofactorapp.com

I know I shill it a lot, but it's because it fucking works. It really does take the pain out of figuring out exactly what you need. You just put in the info and it does the calculations for you, and it even changes on the fly. So if your activity level changes, it notices, changes your calories appropriately.

Like here, great example. This is a graph of my expenditure daily. You can see it dropping down as the temp gets colder and I spend more time inside playing chess instead of doing yard work.View attachment 514316

You know what that is at Nov 15th?

That's when your dog dies. That's right - I went thru all of Thanksgiving and half of December eating like absolute shit, and lost weight because I was so stressed the fuck out. Now how are you gonna know that shit it you're just eyeballing calories?

Use an app. Use this app. Yeah, it's $70/year. But it makes it super easy to hit your goals.
Hows it collecting the data? One of those fitness watch/apple watch things? or?

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think I may have confused you with when I stated that I started to watch my macro nutrients at the end of November. Altogether, from October to yesterday, Ive gained about 30 pounds. Im also doing TRT, which Ive talked about in another thread and thats contributed a lot to my weight gain. Its effectively changed my entire life for the better as my shit life and habits had cratered my T levels. Point being, while basically being on off brand steroids - Ive gained incredible muscle mass. I started off barely being able to bench, dead lift or squat 150, and now Im well beyond that. Within another 3-5 months, I think Ill hit the 1500 cumulative score and thats my ultimate goal. I havent done all of this by myself, either, as I pay a trainer to help me with everything. The guy I use is just massive - fitness director at the gym I go to, Fitness Coach at Liberty, and a Track and field coach at Lynchburg College. He used to be an Olympic dead lifter until he blew his knee out, and he's been in rehab for it the entire time Ive known him.

Being on TRT isnt cycling steroids. And even if you were on a cycle, gaining 30lbs in a couple months is wayyyyy to much dude. You are way overeating and just getting fat. Thats why you are feeling so bloated. You ideally want to gain 2-4 lbs a month on a good bulk to limit fat gain. Even steroid forums will tell you this. Ya youll make strength gains but physically you wont look good. But ultimately thats up to you.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Being on TRT isnt cycling steroids. And even if you were on a cycle, gaining 30lbs in a couple months is wayyyyy to much dude. You are way overeating and just getting fat. Thats why you are feeling so bloated. You ideally want to gain 2-4 lbs a month on a good bulk to limit fat gain. Even steroid forums will tell you this. Ya youll make strength gains but physically you wont look good. But ultimately thats up to you.
Whatever, some of us just gain 30 lbs of muscle a month. Keep it up a couple years and its no problem hitting 900 lbs of muscle.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>

It can link with that shit. But basically if you log your food, and log your weight, over a long enough period of time and enough data, it figures out your expenditures based upon that math. It's all known equations, and it will adapt based upon what you put in. What I dig about it is there's literally no reason to be super exact. Let's take this example, let's say you wanna eat 9 ounces of yogurt, but you forget to weigh the bowl, so you're only getting 6 ounces of yogurt and 3 ounces of bowl. If you do that, and weigh yourself, the app is gonna figure out that those 2 things don't coincide...you're either burning more calories than you should be, or your yogurt is less calories, but in any case, it will just adjust your target macros every week automatically to match the data you put in. Like, I don't log veggies. Why the fuck would I weigh out 5 calories of tomato's and 3 calories of lettuce on my tacos? I don't care, and the app doesn't either. Meat, cheese, tortilla, and the rest is what can be seen on that bar as "Flux range," meaning your true expenditure may be +/- some amount every day anyway, so let's just get close enough.

I also should say it may require some tinkering. For example, I decided I wanted to cut some fat at the same time I started lifting for the first time in my life. So, I set a target weight (195, I was 215 at this point), and the app says "okay, cool, so we're gonna set you up to lose about 1% of your body weight every week (acceptable weight loss science), but the problem was I was building a pretty decent amount of muscle, and fast, because I was lifting for the first time ever. So I could see the change - my arms got bigger, my shoulders got broader, my gut started going away - but I wasn't hitting that 1lb a week goal, so it kept cutting my calories since I wasn't losing weight. Well, duh - I was building muscle at the same time, and for every pound I lost, I was putting on like a half pound of muscle. So I had to go into the goal and edit the rate because it had gotten to the point where I was hungry nonstop and I still wasn't losing weight. That kinda makes a guy cranky.

But, I just adjusted it to have me lose 0.3 to 0.5lbs per week instead, and now everything is great. I eat what I want, I try to stay under calories, but if I don't, no big deal, and the app does the tedious work of figuring out all the macros and targets for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Whatever, some of us just gain 30 lbs of muscle a month. Keep it up a couple years and its no problem hitting 900 lbs of muscle.
I still have no idea where he's getting two months from. But I wont disagree with him that I am getting fat. Its what one of the original questions was. But I'll stop asking questions for help since its such a shit talking debate.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I still have no idea where he's getting two months from. But I wont disagree with him that I am getting fat. Its what one of the original questions was. But I'll stop asking questions for help since its such a shit talking debate.
For most people, the body will want them to eat a lot more food than they need. I struggled with fatness a couple decades ago. The answer is incredibly simple, but also hard as hell to execute when you dont have the mental strength. Gaining weight? stop eating so much. Do you really need dinner? Probably not. "BUH MUH PROTEIN" is what your brain will say. High quality low calorie protein. But throw it in to the meal you do eat. Until you have the mental fortitude to not eat, you'll always be fat. Restrict yourself to only eating things you hate for a month. Make food purely a necessity matched to your needs.

And you should appreciate people that call you out. Get better and healthier or get a walmart scooter. Peer pressure helped me fix my fat problem.

• 1Like

Animosity

You said you started this in November and have gone up 20 lbs. That was a little over 2 months ago. But I could of misunderstood what you wrote.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
For most people, the body will want them to eat a lot more food than they need. I struggled with fatness a couple decades ago. The answer is incredibly simple, but also hard as hell to execute when you dont have the mental strength. Gaining weight? stop eating so much. Do you really need dinner? Probably not. "BUH MUH PROTEIN" is what your brain will say. High quality low calorie protein. But throw it in to the meal you do eat. Until you have the mental fortitude to not eat, you'll always be fat. Restrict yourself to only eating things you hate for a month. Make food purely a necessity matched to your needs.

And you should appreciate people that call you out. Get better and healthier or get a walmart scooter. Peer pressure helped me fix my fat problem.
In my transition to intermittent fasting I realized how much I ate for comfort and not hunger during the day and later in the evening.

I found it incredibly empowering to get to the point where it was a non-issue and I was fine all day just drinking water and a couple coffees.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
In my transition to intermittent fasting I realized how much I ate for comfort and not hunger during the day and later in the evening.

I found it incredibly empowering to get to the point where it was a non-issue and I was fine all day just drinking water and a couple coffees.

Yeah, food is a boredom/emotional thing for a lot of people.

I had peptic ulcers really bad up until a few years ago. It was entirely possible that I didn't eat for a few days just because my stomach hurt so bad. It was always amusing talking to people who say shit like "ugh, I had breakfast early, I don't know if I can make it until 11am."

Bitch, I ain't eaten since Tuesday. You're gonna live.

• 1Like

Lumi

Vyemm Raider

Just curious, how much do you pay the trainer? I'm thinking about getting into being a private personal trainer.

Daidraco

Just curious, how much do you pay the trainer? I'm thinking about getting into being a private personal trainer.
180/month. One session a week at 45. You can get the bimbo that reads work out plans off a chart for probably cheaper. But I wanted someone that knows "why" Im struggling with certain lifts. For example, we've found that the muscles on my hips and my shoulders are my weak points over the last few weeks. So now Im working on those areas with the other exercises Ive been doing, and Ill eventually run into another area thats weaker than the the rest - and Ill add that, and eventually, we'll go into a new phase thats more in line with the information we've learned since the last phase change. This little pretty girls that do it are there for Simps to spin their wheels with because she wont tell them to change jack shit and they'll just end up hurting themselves trying to push out of a plateau.

Work Out Anytime has a little machine that spins you on a circular pad and gives you full measurements of your body. Tells you your fat percentage, etc. I've dropped down to 207 pounds since I last talked in this thread. That machine says I'm 15.4% body fat as of Friday last week, and thats still considered average. A buddy of mine is at 14.3%, the machine says he's Athletic in the same field. So Im border line for that group I guess. I dont think I'm going to keep up the cut because my diet is boring as fuck and at this point, I just dont care about abs. I'd rather have a fucking regular meal.

Animosity

There is also a very broad scale to this. A lot of "trainers" at gyms dont know shit and and only have the job because they are an in shape cute girl or in shape buff boy. Then you get the mushy middle where its fat 45 year old women/men and you are just paying the gym essentially for their services. If you are going purely private and have certifications you can get $100+ an hour.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
180/month. One session a week at 45. You can get the bimbo that reads work out plans off a chart for probably cheaper. But I wanted someone that knows "why" Im struggling with certain lifts. For example, we've found that the muscles on my hips and my shoulders are my weak points over the last few weeks. So now Im working on those areas with the other exercises Ive been doing, and Ill eventually run into another area thats weaker than the the rest - and Ill add that, and eventually, we'll go into a new phase thats more in line with the information we've learned since the last phase change. This little pretty girls that do it are there for Simps to spin their wheels with because she wont tell them to change jack shit and they'll just end up hurting themselves trying to push out of a plateau.

Work Out Anytime has a little machine that spins you on a circular pad and gives you full measurements of your body. Tells you your fat percentage, etc. I've dropped down to 207 pounds since I last talked in this thread. That machine says I'm 15.4% body fat as of Friday last week, and thats still considered average. A buddy of mine is at 14.3%, the machine says he's Athletic in the same field. So Im border line for that group I guess. I dont think I'm going to keep up the cut because my diet is boring as fuck and at this point, I just dont care about abs. I'd rather have a fucking regular meal.
Ya, one of the major things I'd address is eating. People seem to think you need to eat super boring tasteless shit to have abs. This is me last year after turning 40 at the start of summer before I really even started going hard with working out and I'm eating things like pizza and ice cream at least once, sometimes twice a week. I also don't take TRT or drink pre workout or take protein powders or anything at all whatsoever really(they're all a waste of money IMO).

I never eat a single meal where I dread it thinking this sucks and in fact it's the exact opposite. I love the healthier things I eat, especially broccoli and zucchini and squash. I think that's honestly one of the biggest issues people have with eating healthy is they think healthy food is boring and tastes bad when in reality it's just not many know how to cook it properly. So part of my training would legit be to go to the grocery store with clients and show them what to look for and also show them how to cook. I think a lot of people are intimidated by cooking and think it's way harder than it actually is. It's also an integral part of your health and something very few trainers ever address.

1710363512227.png
1710363561387.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users