Weight Loss Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That's exactly what I'm doing. Fuck guests! Moved the couch and put this bitch right in front of the tv. Got a roku and a netflix subscription for christmas. I haven't watched much tv over the past decade or so, too many mmos. Have all sorts of shit catch up on. Starting with Breaking Bad.
Hah, that was exactly my situation. Basically didn't watch any TV from like 1999 to 2005 or so because of Everquest, so had a huge backlog of shows to catch up on, Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Firefly, Oz, many seasons of the Simpsons, etc. I found myself working out like a fiend because I wanted to see the next episode of whatever I was watching at the time, some nights I'd be on the elliptical for 2-3 hours knocking out multiple episodes.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
That's exactly what I'm doing. Fuck guests! Moved the couch and put this bitch right in front of the tv. Got a roku and a netflix subscription for christmas. I haven't watched much tv over the past decade or so, too many mmos. Have all sorts of shit catch up on. Starting with Breaking Bad.
I'm doing the same, got a big TV set up in front of the treadmill. Running bores me to tears when I have nothing to watch, but I've been rewatching some of my favorite shows and I end up staying longer just to fit another episode in.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I once made the mistake of trying to play Call of Duty while on the treadmill. Maybe you don't feel it when you're sitting still, but trying to run and play an FPS at the same time is the worst decision ever.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I once made the mistake of trying to play Call of Duty while on the treadmill. Maybe you don't feel it when you're sitting still, but trying to run and play an FPS at the same time is the worst decision ever.
That absolutely sounds like a terrible idea. A game that requires you to make precise movements with the analog sticks.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That wasn't the bad part, your body actually wants to move the way your character is moving. It sounds retarded, or makes me sound retarded rather, but it's true. I constantly felt myself almost falling over because I couldn't handle moving in real life and moving in-game.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I dont have anythign at home to work out on but one thing I plan on using my ipad for us loading movies and show on to take with me to the gym to watch while on whatever machine I'm using.

I haven't started my stuff yet for lossing weight, I'm out of remission at the moment and feel like crap, once my body get's its crap together I plan on getting things into gear.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
That wasn't the bad part, your body actually wants to move the way your character is moving. It sounds retarded, or makes me sound retarded rather, but it's true. I constantly felt myself almost falling over because I couldn't handle moving in real life and moving in-game.
That makes you sound incredibly retarded. I've played all sorts of video games while on a treadmill and never had that problem.

You were probably one of those kids that used to lean their whole body to the left or right when playing driving games on the SNES.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
That makes you sound incredibly retarded. I've played all sorts of video games while on a treadmill and never had that problem.

You were probably one of those kids that used to lean their whole body to the left or right when playing driving games on the SNES.
You were probably one of those fags that didn't. You can't properly power slide without tilting the controller sideways.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

SHITHEAD
frown.png

No, wasn't ever that guy. I do move my lips in all sorts of weird ways when playing Guitar Hero on expert though. I think that makes me a fag.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've always found low/no impact excersize like an excersize bike or elliptical machine in my home is the most likely thing to keep me working out regularly long-term. Put it in front of a TV or a computer, download several seasons of a show you've always been meaning to watch but never have, and ONLY allow yourself to watch the show if you are excersizing. Works pretty well. When I got hooked on watching The Wire and then The Sopranos back around 2006 or so I ended up losing about 40lbs working my way through all those shows over a couple months.
This. Lost about 45 lbs doing this a few years ago. Don't need fancy shit, I just have my laptop sitting on my ironing board next to my bike. 45 minutes of biking + shower = only spent an hour. I'd spend as much time just driving to the gym and back.

I think many people worry far too much about finding the "best" exercise, and far too little about making sure it's something they'll actually keep doing once the initial enthusiasm wears off. The best exercise is the one you actually do.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
SHITHEAD
frown.png

No, wasn't ever that guy. I do move my lips in all sorts of weird ways when playing Guitar Hero on expert though. I think that makes me a fag.
Very common for guitar players for some reason. Not sure what the mechanic is behind it.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I started lifting weights in the middle of November after I discovered the fitness subreddit. I've been really impressed with my gains so far. I have already basically doubled the amount of weights I'm using (30lb incline press to 60lb) (100lb on the leg press to 180) (30 lb on the rowing machine to 65) (30lb shoulder press to 55).

I first began trying to lose weight starting spring of last year, I began to cut calories from my diet like crazy, I was down to 1000-1500 calories a day, and it worked, but I felt tired and weak all the time, and eventually the weight loss slowed.

I started taking a multivitamin and increased my protein intake by using some Optimum Nutrition whey protein powder (relatively cheap at either gnc or amazon). I try to eat less than 2000 calories a day and try to get 200g of protein especially on a day when I'm going to work out. I'm working out 3 days a week.

I absolutely hate cardio, when I was in the Air Force, I had a 40 inch waist, ran 11:30 mile and a half, 60 pushups and 55 situps in the minute, but I was always in the marginal category of fitness (because of my waist measurement) so I'd have to do PT 5 days a week, which meant 5 days a week of Cardio... fucking made me want to get out, so I didn't reenlist. I stopped exercising all-together for the past 6 years. With this, I feel like I can get good health benefits, burn calories and build muscles, and I don't have to sit on an elliptical machine for an hour straight to get results.

Right now I'm both losing weight and building muscle at the same time. I know that I won't be able to keep that up, so I'll probably try to increase my calories until march upping to 2 protein shakes a day, and then cut back down to 1500 calories a day this spring while trying to maintain whatever weights I'm at at the time to trim bodyfat for the spring/summer.

Edit: I'm 5'8" 210lbs, 30y/o male... so 2000 calories is about my current weight maintenance if I were sedentary. Any weight loss I've had since I started lifting has been solely due to the calorie burn of lifting weights and the minimal amount of cardio I've done in my off days (maybe 15 minutes on an elliptical after I tan or something). Best part is that I don't feel as tired/hungry as I do when I had cut down to 1000 calories. Oh, I've also had more than a few cheat days where I'll eat donuts or pizza at work, maybe going up to 2500-3000 calories for that specific day, but then I'll go back to my regular diet afterwards.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First day back in the gym in a month! Felt great in there. I'm going to take it slow but it's nice to be working out again. I'm hoping to be at my ideal weight by March.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Edit: I'm 5'8" 210lbs, 30y/o male... so 2000 calories is about my current weight maintenance if I were sedentary. Any weight loss I've had since I started lifting has been solely due to the calorie burn of lifting weights and the minimal amount of cardio I've done in my off days (maybe 15 minutes on an elliptical after I tan or something). Best part is that I don't feel as tired/hungry as I do when I had cut down to 1000 calories. Oh, I've also had more than a few cheat days where I'll eat donuts or pizza at work, maybe going up to 2500-3000 calories for that specific day, but then I'll go back to my regular diet afterwards.
Good job on the progress. Just wanted to mention I show your BMR is around 2000 but with the Harris Benedict formula even sedentary is around 2500 calories.http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/

If you're eating clean you should see good gains for a while as far as body composition.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
If it's removed before it's broken down and absorbed, wouldn't they just stay hungry and eat even more to compensate?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
How fucking gross is this? Might as well be a bulimic teenage purger.

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/07/the_...ting_is_gross/
It never ceases to amaze me how much time, effort, and money people are willing to put into "solving" obesity when all it takes is a little willpower and motivation.

I love the fact that it's from the same guy who developed the Segway. Now people can ride around all day eating unhealthy shit and flush it out through their new stomach tube. They should package and sell them together. Exercise? Healthy food? What are these things?!