Weight Loss Thread

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, echoing everyone else. Mono-chicken land is pretty boring and makes it much harder to stick with a diet. Lean pork cuts can be used in basically anything you would use chicken in. Lean beef can be added to a lot of shit (I will say, salsa verde beef is pretty underwhelming unless all you taste is the salsa) and turkey is a solid go to sub as well. You can also do pretty much any type of fish, as long as you realize stuff like Salmon is higher in fats, so if you are macro-nuts you may want to keep that in mind.

I mix in tofu dishes when I am strictly bored of chicken/others, but generally speaking it's pretty easy to change things up without really rocking the boat. epicurious.com is good, as long as you have a grasp on what is obviously not healthy (super rich cream sauces on pasta is generally a bit on the deep end, for example) and I'd stand pretty solidly by anything out of America's Test kitchen (again, if you keep an eye on the primary ingredients) and you can insert a lot of variety.

Chicken 7 days a week, no matter how good you are at prep/cooking, is going to get old really fast no matter how you approach it. I've worked professionally in 4 diamond restaurants for almost 20 years, and there are just limits to what you can do, without effectively making a chicken dish that doesn't have any trace of chicken flavor in it.

edit: caveat! If somehow you can convince yourself that food is fuel and the flavor doesn't matter, you can totally power on with chicken 7 days a week. That is most definitely not the easy path though hah. I absolutely love chicken but every day is just too much for me, personally.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
You should get on prohormones, do only overhead press with 15lb dumbbells and walk 30 miles a day
Wow, harsh, what did I ever do to you?

Anyway /livejournal on

But I've been dieting down again, down to 34" waist pants fitting comfortable (not tight) again. I'll try startin second prohormone cycle in about 2 weeks, I'm more lean than I was starting the first time, and my goals will be different as well.

I have similar muscle and less fat than I did 2 months ago. I'd say that's progress, even if my workouts have been absolute shit lately, (2 times a week) plus I gained 10lbs over New Years on a cruise.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Wow, harsh, what did I ever do to you?

I'll try startin second prohormone cycle in about 2 weeks,
Coming into the thread, talking about crappy workout routines and stalled progress then talking about steroid precursors to overcome the shitty diet/workouts.

I started a cut on 17th Dec at 79kg, took a week off dieting from Christmas Eve until Jan 2nd and am currently at 75kg and noticeably leaner. The combination of my gym being too busy weekday evenings and a slight shoulder injury mean I haven't even been lifting weights, just doing 15 minutes on a treadmill at max incline and 12 speed setting. 20 seconds on, 40 seconds off.

Diet = weight in lbs x 10 or 11 for fast weight loss.

If you were serious about losing weight/getting leaner then you'd do something similar and achieve similar results. From July to December I gained weight because I didn't have the motivation not to. After gaining 6kg I decided in December to do something about it, 6 weeks later and I'm 2-3 weeks away from being at 10% body fat again.

All the steroids in the world aren't going to make up for shitty motivation and a shitty routine

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Diet = weight in lbs x 10 or 11 for fast weight loss.
When you are on a deficit like this, how do you feel? Do you think you would be able to maintain a lifting routine if you were not injured at all? The reason I ask is because I feel like garbage when I cut down to that kind of deficit and maintain my BJJ, much less the body weight routine I started.

Has it been a faster cut in the past to just 'eat less / do less'? Or, in theory, eating at less of a deficit and keeping up the same routine would net a similar result and it is personal preference? I end up waffling a bunch, but am trying the smaller deficit / same routine tactic now and feel pretty decent.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
When you are on a deficit like this, how do you feel? Do you think you would be able to maintain a lifting routine if you were not injured at all? The reason I ask is because I feel like garbage when I cut down to that kind of deficit and maintain my BJJ, much less the body weight routine I started.

Has it been a faster cut in the past to just 'eat less / do less'? Or, in theory, eating at less of a deficit and keeping up the same routine would net a similar result and it is personal preference? I end up waffling a bunch, but am trying the smaller deficit / same routine tactic now and feel pretty decent.
At the moment I am aiming to eat roughly 1800 calories a day. Last year when I cut I was eating 2200-2300. I could lift weights on 1800 calories a day. I prefer quicker results at 1800 over the longer duration cut at 2200-2300

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
The problem with "pro hormones" is that they're either straight up steroids or they're completely worthless, there's no in between. The legal loophole was closed sometime in the last few years so it's probably very rare to still find one that's anabolic. If you do manage to find one that's legit giving you results you will shut down your natural test production and be fucked up when you stop. Better to spend your pro hormone loot on good food or a gym membership.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Had my first workout post cracked rib, didn't go heavy on anything just high reps with weight I can control. Rib hurt like shit this morning.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Had my first workout post cracked rib, didn't go heavy on anything just high reps with weight I can control. Rib hurt like shit this morning.
I had chronic rib pain for a few years (possibly costochondritis) so I completely relate. Shit was so real that in my moments of weakness I seriously considered whether or not it was worth living to be an old man if this level of chronic pain was my new normal. Hope it heals fast.

---

In other news, I'm at 240.4 lbs as of this morning (down from 254 lbs Dec 27). All in all, I'm pretty happy with my progress. There were a couple weeks where my weight didn't drop at all, but I was still noticeably getting leaner. My whole family got a pretty nasty stomach virus last week and that seems to have broken my plateau. Also, I just started taking ritalin (who would've guessed my min/maxing ass would have ADHD?), and I hear people tend to lose weight on that, though I don't feel like it's effected my appetite at all (they've started me on a pretty low dose).

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I had chronic rib pain for a few years (possibly costochondritis) so I completely relate. Shit was so real that in my moments of weakness I seriously considered whether or not it was worth living to be an old man if this level of chronic pain was my new normal. Hope it heals fast.

---

In other news, I'm at 240.4 lbs as of this morning (down from 254 lbs Dec 27). All in all, I'm pretty happy with my progress. There were a couple weeks where my weight didn't drop at all, but I was still noticeably getting leaner. My whole family got a pretty nasty stomach virus last week and that seems to have broken my plateau. Also, I just started taking ritalin (who would've guessed my min/maxing ass would have ADHD?), and I hear people tend to lose weight on that, though I don't feel like it's effected my appetite at all (they've started me on a pretty low dose).
Ritalin will suppress your appetite a lot. Since you're dieting anyway, it probably just doesn't make the diet seem so severe. Be careful if/when you go off of it you will gobble up everything.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Ritalin will suppress your appetite a lot. Since you're dieting anyway, it probably just doesn't make the diet seem so severe. Be careful if/when you go off of it you will gobble up everything.
Alright, I'll keep an eye out for it, especially since they're going to bump up the dose in a few weeks.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I was on Adderall XR for a year and it definitely suppressed my appetite to a significant degree. I could still eat as much as I used to if I wanted to, but I could also skip meals and not really get hungry like I normally would. When I went off it I'm pretty sure I put on 5 lbs in a couple weeks until I realized I was suddenly eating a lot more.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I feel you. In highschool, I took a helmet to the left ribcage that bruised the cartilage around most and cracked the impact area. Was out two weeks (Doctors in NorCal are retarded) and was expected to be something resembling up to speed after that. Holy shit does any sort of lat/chest/abdomen work hurt like hell. I escaped by fucking off and being sent to run "hills" but no way was that a healthy way to do stuff. It healed over time, but goddamn was it rough. Muscle relaxers after training can help a ton, if only in avoiding the severe ache. Otherwise, that's just how it be =| If it's too painful to continue and not just a "oh neat, sore from damage" type feeling (you'll probably notice the difference) I'd take more time off. Re-fracturing shit is just going to lead to much longer downtime.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I feel you. In highschool, I took a helmet to the left ribcage that bruised the cartilage around most and cracked the impact area. Was out two weeks (Doctors in NorCal are retarded) and was expected to be something resembling up to speed after that. Holy shit does any sort of lat/chest/abdomen work hurt like hell. I escaped by fucking off and being sent to run "hills" but no way was that a healthy way to do stuff. It healed over time, but goddamn was it rough. Muscle relaxers after training can help a ton, if only in avoiding the severe ache. Otherwise, that's just how it be =| If it's too painful to continue and not just a "oh neat, sore from damage" type feeling (you'll probably notice the difference) I'd take more time off. Re-fracturing shit is just going to lead to much longer downtime.
You sure it isn't all just mental?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nah, my ketone levels are pretty low I think, so I'm not prone to making broad generalizations without having a scientific consensus behind them.

No idea what your injury was, Khane, but I do know what mine was. My apologies for expanding upon that experience.

How do you feel about GMO foods vs. Organics? Do you have a gluten allergy?

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Nah, my ketone levels are pretty low I think, so I'm not prone to making broad generalizations without having a scientific consensus behind them.

No idea what your injury was, Khane, but I do know what mine was. My apologies for expanding upon that experience.

How do you feel about GMO foods vs. Organics? Do you have a gluten allergy?
GMO really depends on what your talking about, blanketing all GMO foods as bad is absolutely retarded. Organic equally cant be lumped into one group. Best thing consumers can do is educate themselves and not allow blanket terms to guide their buying and decision making.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's a reasoned response, and not one I'd expect from Khane, hence the question.

The people that claim they can feel the difference in their body between a GMO food and an organic one are cultists, and retarded. Because that's not how it works. But you can easily identify the cultists by asking their opinion between GMO and organics.

I just like knowing my audience~

It's very similar to asking people if they have a gluten allergy. If more than .02% of the population replies that they do, you know that most of them are just being retarded.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
There is just in general a lot of misinformation about GMO/Organic food to the point where anyone who trys to lecture me about the dangers/benefits of them as a whole I just ignore. If you want to point to specific studies regarding certain GMO's in specific crops I will listen, but a lot of the cultist mouth-breathers try to pretend all GMO will kill you and all organic food is substantially better for you. There are tons of cases on both sides for both good and bad and anyone that claims otherwise just isn't educated on the issue.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
@Rezz. Yeah, I took two full weeks off any real exercise and just now starting to get back into cardio/light lifting. I should be about 90% by next week, fucking going two weeks unable to couch or sneeze was miserable.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
God, coughing. Mine happened in mid-fall, and I picked up my (at the time, thanks chain smoking indoors parents!) yearly case of bronchial tube infections during the healing process. That awesome combination of feeling your muscles contract and cause the ribs to hurt like hell, and then those same muscles seizing up because they realize that you're in pain, causing further pain.

It's certainly a unique experience.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have been doing some self form critiques via video of some of my body weight routine and yoga. It has been very helpful, especially for Yoga. While I was well aware of some of my body weight form troubles because of left / right imbalance, there is quite a bit of room for improvement on the Yoga side as well. I have been doing Yoga for around 2 years, generally around 2 - 3 times per week. There are some positions that have 'felt' fine, but in reviewing the video I could maintain a straighter line, etc. Very useful, highly recommended for a form sanity check if you generally work out solo.

Also, confirmed that the most unflattering positions for a former fat man with a saggy stomach to be in are any sort of plank / push up. On the flip side, ring support holds / dips make the upper body look pretty awesome.