Weight Loss Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bulking breakfast: 2 cups of whole milk, one cup of oats, 3-4 whole eggs, one cup of egg whites, avocado.

Currently cutting breakfast: 1 cup of cashew milk, half cup of oats, 2 whole eggs, one cup of egg whites, 1/2 avocado.

The first one is a fucking pain to eat. The second one fills me up pretty much perfectly. For the record, aside from waffles and bacon, I fucking HATE breakfast, so I'm of the camp of "do whatever will keep you fucking sane" when it comes to breakfast. Eggs suck ass, but I eat them because fuck it. The avocado and salsa drown out the fart taste.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
So, I'm looking for advise from folks here in regards to starting on my weight loss.

I am 33 years old, 5"8' and 225lbs currently. I am currently waiting for results on my kidney stone types to see if I have to make any diet changes.
I started losing weight back in November. I'm also 5'8" but I started at 250 lbs. Since that time I've lost 37 lbs and I'm down to about 213 today. Here's what worked for me:

First of all I took an honest look at my calorie intake before starting my diet. It was way too high because I was making very poor choices. 300 calories for breakfast. 600 to 700 calories for lunch. Snack before dinner. 1,000 calories for dinner. Snack after dinner. When I started my diet I cut that way down. Today I'm at 200 calories for breakfast. 400 calories for lunch. About 800 calories for dinner. And a 100 calorie snack in there somewhere. At first I hated it. My body rebelled for awhile and it was very angry at me. I was in a foul mood all the time and was very cranky. I was just used to so many more calories so my body let me know that it wasn't happy when I cut way back on them. Cutting out snacks alone made a huge difference. Little Debbie is a whore and you should avoid her at all costs.

Protein is your friend. Chicken in particular is great. It's very low fat and high protein for the calories consumed. I eat chicken about 6 nights a week and 1 week a night go with something else (usually beef and adjust the rest of the meal accordingly). Lots of vegetables to go along with that. Salads and brown rice also make up a good portion of my diet. You can do a lot with chicken and different seasonings to add some variety but I guarantee you're going to get sick of chicken sooner or later.

When you first start you're going to be hungry. Something I learned to do was space my meals out better. I wake up early for work and get home early (usually around 3pm or so). That meant I tended to eat meals a lot earlier but that would leave me hungry in the early evening. So now I eat my Protein Bar breakfast around 8:30. Lunch at noon. And dinner as late as I can go. That way I'm not hungry in the evening and wanting to snack.

As others have said diet is going to be 80 to 90% of your weight loss. Working out does help but it actually burns less calories than you'd think. I still like to walk though (go back pages and you'll see massive arguments on the merits, or lack thereof, of walking for exercise). But I do it because it helps my mental health and any calories burned are bonus. And I have had results. 4 months ago I'd be dead after a mile of walking. Today I can do 4 miles at a time with no issues.

Those are some of my thoughts and hopefully some of that helps.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
those ab rollers are no joke. If anyone is looking for some additional core work. I suck it so far and can't roll all the way out yet but shit it works a lot of muscles.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
212 lbs exactly on the scale this morning. 38 lbs lost since November. Yesterday was the first time I bought 36 waist pants in years. Got them from the outlet mall because I'm hoping to get down to a 34 but I needed new ones for work. My old ones were starting to get ragged and were getting so baggy that it wasn't professional looking.

My short term goal is to get down to an even 200 by early summer. According to Google, at 5'8", my top weight should be around 170. Personally I'll be happy if I can get down to the 180ish range and that's my longer term goal. Once I get there I'll start to see how realistic it is to keep going.

I've said this a couple of times but I haven't felt this good in years. I'm sleeping a lot better, have a lot more stamina and energy. My wife has been doing this with me and she's losing weight as well. Our sex life is much better with both of us losing weight.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
So, I'm looking for advise from folks here in regards to starting on my weight loss.

I am 33 years old, 5"8' and 225lbs currently. I am currently waiting for results on my kidney stone types to see if I have to make any diet changes.

But, I'm looking at where and what to start with to get into shape. I have not worked out in any serious capacity since maybe high school and I've realized that I need to get myself into shape.

I've been looking at sites likeBeginner's Health and Fitness GuideandThe Best Diet Plan, which has a lot of good information for someone like me.

But I'm trying to figure out where to start. I have a gym at the apartment complex, but it only has a few treadmill/stairmaster machines, a bunch of weight machines and a few set weight dumbells. (no barbells
frown.png
)
There is a 24 hour gym nearby that has more of a selection and also a lot more free weights, but I don't know how much a membership will cost yet, checking into it. I'm trying to find a place that has more free weights since that is what I see recommended, compared to weight machines.

i guess my question would be, should I just start with some cardio for a few weeks to get myself going and get that started then work some weight lifting days in as well? I just don't want to hurt myself by trying too much at once.
I'm not one to talk, but don't spend more time discussing fitness, than actually getting fit. It's really not too difficult, personally I would recommend "a beginner's weight lifting routine" which you can do basically with just dumbells.

Beginner Workout Routine - Weight Training For Beginners

It's not that difficult, fix your diet, start doing that exercise routine, which will take you about 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week (30 minutes of cardio would be decent for the other 2 days of the week)... that's pretty much it, you'll progress for quite a while.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Good weight loss technique: get stomach flu

Fuck

I apologize in advance for the work toilets today bros, gotta get these expert reports out...

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Had a good workout routing going(mostly cardio on my elliptical) for about 2 straight months, was down about 25 lbs. Then I damn near break my toe when I almost fell down our stairs, it's not broken but its sprained pretty bad(swollen, black&blue, etc) and now I haven't been able to work out in a week...4-5 lbs back on. Damnit. It's just about to the point of being able to hold up to a workout though, so hopefully I'll be back at it here this week.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
So you burn 10,000 calories a week with your cardio or just eat a ton of food if you don't exercise?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Had a good workout routing going(mostly cardio on my elliptical) for about 2 straight months, was down about 25 lbs. Then I damn near break my toe when I almost fell down our stairs, it's not broken but its sprained pretty bad(swollen, black&blue, etc) and now I haven't been able to work out in a week...4-5 lbs back on. Damnit. It's just about to the point of being able to hold up to a workout though, so hopefully I'll be back at it here this week.
Warmuth is right, 4-5lbs in a week is 14,000-17,500 calories of overeating in one week. That'd be 17.5 hours on the elliptical at 800 calories/hour just to hold your weight steady.

Did you also binge eat since you couldn't work out? Something isn't right there.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Sure but how can you be like "I need to lose weight, going to dedicate hours of my life to cardio daily" and then go YUUUM TACOS

Makes no sense
Willpower is a son of a bitch.

Last night I had to cave in and buy an overpriced foam roller cause I gave my old one away. Doing 3 hour bike days mon-Fri with gyms tuesday/Thursday with decent sized rides happening on a weekend day if not both days. Tis the season for perpetual leg soreness.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Sure but how can you be like "I need to lose weight, going to dedicate hours of my life to cardio daily" and then go YUUUM TACOS

Makes no sense
I know a lot of people who live like that. They work out hard solely so they can drink and eat like shit. Literally the only reason they exercise.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know a lot of people who live like that. They work out hard solely so they can drink and eat like shit. Literally the only reason they exercise.
Yup. I mean I powerlift, but I also just like to live without being a fat fuck.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Don't you remember his credit card statement where he was hitting fast food like 2-3x per day?
I've definitely had to remedy that. I still eat out pretty much every weekday for lunch at work, but I'm trying to be more reasonable with it. No more taco bell & burger king, sticking to stuff like turkey subs and grilled chicken sandwiches. I've only had 1 soda in the last 2 months as well.