Weight Loss Thread

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
[
Quick keto update. Ended up at around 6 lbs lost this week, according to my ketostix I am now in the second highest stage of ketosis. I hurt my back Tuesday(don't ask, dumb story) so I haven't done cardio and three days and all I've done is bench and do seated stuff(rows, hammer curls, extensions).

I know it's apparently impossible to gain muscle while at the deficit I am running but my arms are massively more defined than they were a month ago. The frustrating part of this is that there is simply nothing I can do but wait for the weight to fall off. So much other shit I want to do and I'm just waiting around to get this weight loss done. Hurry up and wait I guess.

The definition is likely due to losing fat around those areas.

Whilst noob gains are a possibility I think any definition is because of the fat loss.

My gym has a scale which measures body fat and lean mass, try and find one of those?

Last edited:

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
So, question for people doing lifting and other exercise that are nearing 40:
Are joint aches and small uncomfortable pains just part of it? I've been semi-active all my life, but for the past year or two (I'm 37) my body has started to protest lightly every time I do benches, squats, deadlifts or OH presses.
(I've seen a physio, and she's basically just told me to keep training. There's nothing serious that should keep me out of the gym.)

Is this just part of getting old?

Caliane

comes and goes. There are times, where I think, "I am getting old, sore all time time". But then, like now, I had all but forgotten those days, till you said something.
Since I exercise outdoors, not in a gym, my fitness fluxes with weather. Early spring, there times I swear something is wrong, since I don't remember having to take so long to get into shape.

some basic stuff obviously. Drink more water. get tested for lyme disease?

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I'm 34 and I haven't had any issues with soreness yet. The one exception is my upper legs(front and back) when I started squatting, but that has gone away now. Generally anything I do regularly stops being sore after a couple of days. And this is coming from someone who hadn't lifted in 12 years and hadn't been active in 10.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Aye, that's pretty much what I've concluded as well. Most recent pain was shoulders during bench press, so I stepped down on the weights and focused more on proper technique. Didn't do much to help, but I noticed that the heavier the weights, the less pain. (Or what it probably is: On lighter weights, my brain has spare CPU cycles to use on registering pain, whereas when shit gets heavy the pain-interrupt is kept on wait until I rack the bar).

Just knowing that the pain is almost certainly just that - pain - and not a symptom of something I need to address, is all I need to just keep lifting.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I know it's apparently impossible to gain muscle while at the deficit I am running but my arms are massively more defined than they were a month ago.
It's definitely not impossible to gain muscle while at a deficit, especially if you're eating at least 1g of protein per pound of lean mass (I eat approx 160g of protein per day). You would obviously gain muscle faster and easier if you were eating above maintenance (i.e. not at a deficit), but it's not impossible.

Definition will definitely come from losing body fat, but eating proper levels of protein will allow you to gain lean mass as well - especially if you're just starting lifting and aren't athletic already.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, there's more than just a simple yes/no answer to gaining lean muscle mass while on any sort of caloric deficit. One, you're on keto, so your energy is coming from fat synthesis vs. carbohydrate synthesis. Gilg is a big guy with a lot of fat currently, so his energy stores should be fine as long as he is in keto and not bouncing back and forth in low carb. Second, he's not lifting a lot of weight. What he's pushing, especially given his size, are largely cardio numbers. When someone is fat and able to actually walk around, they generally -have- to have some muscle mass and strength because of their shear weight. As long as you aren't Baron Harkonnen, a fat dude is going to have much stronger leg muscles than a skinny dude who isn't a super consistent weightlifter. Arms and upper body might be a different story, but a lot of the reduced "power" is going to come from a vastly compromised cardiovascular system. The strength gain is mostly just maintenance and a reduction of secondary weight (flaps o' fat) in the very large, especially if they aren't putting up "big" numbers. He might have what are referred to as newbie gains, as his body acclimates to lifting stuff and being active. This is basically expected in anyone who has taken a long time off lifting or whom has never/rarely lifted before.

The thing is, Gilg is almost certainly increasing his lean muscle mass while he cuts, because he's not doing marathon sessions of lifting, and is mostly doing cardio while holding weights. Which fits into a fat-loss regimen absolutely perfectly. His body isn't looking for muscle to break down with 15-20 minutes on an elliptical. It most certainly isn't breaking down muscle stores for energy lifting 140lbs in a power lifting bench routine (5x5? or something. I'm lazy and don't want to check) nor curling 25s occasionally while doing LoL. Fat synthesis for energy happens more rapidly on keto, and his relative intensity is almost entirely heart related at his weight, so he shouldn't be worried about losing strength. If anything, as he reduces his weight down to only slightly obese levels (260 or so given his weight/size) he should notice positive strength gain almost across the board. Simply being lighter is going to mean he's going to be able to put more on the various bars because he's no longer carrying around a cheerleader on his back while walking around normally.

The people who I personally argue about worrying regarding their gains while at a caloric deficit are people who are losing at a reasonable rate (1-2lbs a week) and concerned when they spend 2 hours in the gym lifting that their numbers aren't going up or are going up very slowly. Or in a lot of cases, going down. Even on keto, there's some physical limits to how much energy you get from fats. And especially on keto, this means you go right into proteins when that threshold is hit/surpassed. This is why you should probably stick with a higher protein content if you are an active person while cutting weight on keto. 160g is great for someone losing at a normal rate and they have roughly 80lbs of lean muscle mass on them (closer to 60, but whatever) If you are on keto and actually spending a decent to reasonable amount of time in the gym, you definitely need to consume more than that, or you are going to notice a decrease in strength over time, because odds are you are burning through your protein intake to keep energy going and there's not a ton of proteins (well, amino acids) left over for muscle repair. And 2 hours in a gym is going to require a lot of muscle repair if you aren't a bro-lifter.

The other type of person is someone who is just low carb. Low carb but non-ketosis diets are -shit- for lifting, across the board. If you are just in a low carb diet (post keto atkins, for example) then it is absolutely insane to expect "gains" while at a caloric deficit once you are out of newbie gains. And even your newbie gains will be truncated. This is especially true for people doing marathon type exercises (hour+ of cardio) or lifting heavy. Without carbohydrates or the enhanced fat synthesis speed of a ketogenic lifestyle, you're at a serious energy source disadvantage. And if you spend long periods in the gym, you -are- going to burn through protein and muscle stores to make up for the fact that your fats simply can't keep up in a low carb but non keto lifestyle. -those- are the people I think are silly for expecting quick weight loss -and- gains. But for the big folks who are -very- big and reducing weight? Keep slowly increasing your weights as you lose fat, and you'll keep gaining lean muscle mass (admittedly, very slowly) as you reduce. Your lifts will increase probably commiserate with the speed of weightloss, until you hit a point where the amount of extra weight on the bar is no longer being countered by a loss of extra body fat. -That's- when you might get some flack from some of us if you are trying to lose weight but complaining about gains. Until then, have at em.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Got official weigh in today on snazzy scale...

284.0lb
fat% 32.4
fat mass 92lb
ffm 192lb
muscle mass 183lb
tbw 134.4lb
tbw % 47.3%
bone mass 9.4lb
bmr 2666kcal
bmi 35.5

Weigh in yesterday morning

280.8 lb
Fat % 30.2%
Fat Mass 84.8lb
FFM 196.0 lb
Muscle Mass 186.4 lb
TBW 135.6 lb
TBW % 48.3 %
Bone Mass 9.6lb
BMR 2713 kcal
bmi 35.1

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
4lb over 14 days is -much- more in line with what you should be losing vs. that 20+ in 11 stuff previously. I'm not sure I actually buy that you have 184lbs of actual muscle mass on you even at your size, but hey whatever the scale says. It's probably including a lot of other types of tissue and just going "hey muscle!" because that's a shitload. Even shredded guys at 260 barely have 180lbs of muscle on them. Skin/bone/the head account for a non-trivial amount (and I see a couple of those in the numbers, but not all) as well as whatever is part of your general organ weight. That organ weight is probably also included in the muscle number.

Either way, you are decreasing your weight. Good on ya.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Aye, that's pretty much what I've concluded as well. Most recent pain was shoulders during bench press, so I stepped down on the weights and focused more on proper technique. Didn't do much to help, but I noticed that the heavier the weights, the less pain. (Or what it probably is: On lighter weights, my brain has spare CPU cycles to use on registering pain, whereas when shit gets heavy the pain-interrupt is kept on wait until I rack the bar).

Just knowing that the pain is almost certainly just that - pain - and not a symptom of something I need to address, is all I need to just keep lifting.
I'm not a physical therapist nor a fitness professional, but based on what you've said (lighter weight - no pain, shoulders hurt during bench press, etc), I'd say you need to adjust your grip and technique. Maybe it's a reality of life for some people, but for the rest of us, pain means something is wrong and probably shouldn't be dismissed as "a reality of getting older."

I experienced the shoulder pain you're describing for much of my lifting "career." I've been lifting off and on for almost 20 years now and was very confident that I had perfect form on bench press. Turns out there were a few things that I needed to tweak in my form and technique (where I grip the bar, how I brace, how I move the bar from the starting position and throughout the movement - I was pretty much fucking up everything a little, but fucked up my grip a lot). Anyway, the shoulder pain is gone when I bench, and I was actually able to throw more weight on the bar the week after the changes.

YMMV, but I recommend this instructional video from bodybuilding.com and my bromance, Layne Norton:

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
4lb over 14 days is -much- more in line with what you should be losing vs. that 20+ in 11 stuff previously. I'm not sure I actually buy that you have 184lbs of actual muscle mass on you even at your size, but hey whatever the scale says. It's probably including a lot of other types of tissue and just going "hey muscle!" because that's a shitload. Even shredded guys at 260 barely have 180lbs of muscle on them. Skin/bone/the head account for a non-trivial amount (and I see a couple of those in the numbers, but not all) as well as whatever is part of your general organ weight. That organ weight is probably also included in the muscle number.

Either way, you are decreasing your weight. Good on ya.

Thank you. I think most of the initial loss was water weight, and such, and yes I don't put too much faith in the scale but it's the only thing I see weekly other than the monthly blood check which I should have soon. This is what they use.. SC-331S Total Body Composition Analyzer .

Sloshed

Lord Nagafen Raider
I didn't lose shit this week. The diet was fairly clean but the wife decided to act like a cunt all week so I ended up drinking 5 nights this week. If only I could lose weight and drink alcohol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I didn't lose shit this week. The diet was fairly clean but the wife decided to act like a cunt all week so I ended up drinking 5 nights this week. If only I could lose weight and drink alcohol.

This. I'll eat fucking salad and egg whites all day and then get pissed off and drink 5 Brother Thelonious's and fuck up my progress.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, as long as you aren't doing that on the daily, it isn't actually a huge negative. That's kind of a problem among people who are trying to lose weight. Outside of the keto-folk who worry about being knocked out of high fat synthesis with a few too many carbs, the day to day is not something everyone should be worrying about. Cheat days happen. Especially if you are a heavy dude trying to make a change. That kind of willpower to just go "Oh yeah the shit I've been doing for my entire life is terrible. Cold turkey time!" is Unobtainium rare. The reality is that people losing weight, especially from higher weight groupings, tend to cheat occasionally. And you know what? That's totally fucking a-ok. BUT. You need to go back to healthier eating habits basically the next day, and maintain that habit for multiple days in a row.

The people who have problems with cheat days are the ones who don't minimize them and/or those who don't cut at serious amounts. If you are reducing your calories by 3-400 kcal a day (Cals, children) and then gorging on 2k+ kcals on your cheat days? Yeah, expect shit return. Your cheat days should be rewards for doing work. Not "because I like doritos" but "I have -earned- these doritos."

When I was losing (this story is mad shit, honestly. 185ish to 155ish is not some epic journey) the key was going "well, I -know- I'm going to be drinking on Friday. No question. So!" and then I modified my intake over the week to be a slightly larger caloric deficit so that when I did binge on Sierra Nevada Torpedoes and a few Figueroa Mountain Hoppy Poppys, I had already built up a buffer of "THIS IS MY REWARD, I NEED TO EARN THIS REWARD" type caloric deficit on previous days. That's really the only mentality/lifestyle shift that you need to accept. Cheat days happen. Either plan for them or deal with them afterwards. But don't have every day as a cheat day or you aren't going to progress. That's basically it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
5'6"
I am not a big person. 155 was around 10% bodyfat though, and now I'm comfortable at 165ish and 13ish%. Easy to maintain and since I'm not a pro (like basically -everyone- who comments in this thread) I'm not going through weird cutting or bulking phases.

I had a pretty gnarly beer-gut at 185 (in my opinion) and it was the impetus to knock the lbs off. It was entirely too easy to go from a fairly athletic looking guy to looking like the upper end of "dad bod" with comparatively (to the bigger folks here) little weight change. While I'm a little stocky naturally because I'm shaped like a small gorilla, for 20+ years I weighed between 150-160lbs prior to randomly gaining 30lbs during the end of last summer/early fall. I'm sort of lucky I didn't end up with stretch marks, to be honest. I put the weight on in a -very- short period of time, and it basically all went directly to the abdomen. Didn't really have lots of extra fat anywhere else, just a spare tire. Looked really bad, and it legit made me go from wearing my normal clothing to a lot of "athletic" stuff on the average because I didn't want to purchase a new wardrobe going from a 30" waist to a 34" (and a snug 34 at that).