Weight Loss Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Calm down, it was just my dumb way of being contrarian. Didn't know about the bird thing, thanks. Though, I do wonder why the chili plant didn't naturally evolve to include mammals in its "do want" list. Not going to happen now. Humans seem to consider capsaicin a bonus.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Wait, chilis are a fruit.

I didn't say it was difficult to understand. I said it wasn't useful. What's the point of the infographic if it simultaneously proclaims 4 different efficacies for coffee?
I'm guessing it's represented that way because there are different claims, and evidence that supports/contradicts one claim does not apply to the other claims?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Calm down, it was just my dumb way of being contrarian. Didn't know about the bird thing, thanks. Though, I do wonder why the chili plant didn't naturally evolve to include mammals in its "do want" list. Not going to happen now. Humans seem to consider capsaicin a bonus.
wink.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
But they do apply if you're going to eat the food. The different efficacies should be aggregated, which would still be clumsy. And negatives should be presented as well. Just imagine you were using that infographic to make actual dietary choices. I don't want to know that garlic is good for high blood pressure. I want to know what garlic does when I eat it. Everything, good and bad.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm guessing it's represented that way because there are different claims, and evidence that supports/contradicts one claim does not apply to the other claims?
Dude, get off the infograph. it has a list of bubbles with old wives tales attached to them and says "not sure if this is true or not!" for individual foods. It's fucking stupid.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
But they do apply if you're going to eat the food. The different efficacies should be aggregated, which would still be clumsy. And negatives should be presented as well. Just imagine you were using that infographic to make actual dietary choices. I don't want to know that garlic is good for high blood pressure. I want to know what garlic does when I eat it. Everything, good and bad.
I understand what you want. It just happens to be something else than what the graph shows. As Khane points out, the graph's goal is to evaluate old wives tales - and that's what it does. I know you need a tool to hammer in a nail, but that doesn't make a saw any less useful for its intended goal.

Khane_sl said:
Dude, get off the infograph. it has a list of bubbles with old wives tales attached to them and says "not sure if this is true or not!" for individual foods. It's fucking stupid.
Except.. that's not what it does. It evaluates scientific evidence supporting or contradicting the tales. It doesn't say "not sure" - except where the evidence is inconclusive. And that's actually a useful data point too.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Take for example this recommendation...

If you are looking to lose weight don't drink smoothies (see the last 2 or so pages as to why). You can't go wrong with eggs for breakfast, bonus points if they are from pastured chickens.
Eggs as breakfast for losing weight? Curious if that is supported by evidence? Well.. let's see:

Title Consuming eggs for breakfast influences plasma glucose and ghrelin, while reducing energy intake during the next 24 hours in adult men. Links Export Central Citation
Author(s) Ratliff J, Leite JO, de Ogburn R, Puglisi MJ, VanHeest J, Fernandez ML
Source Nutrition research (New York, N.Y.)
Date of Publication 2010 Feb
Volume 30
Issue 2
Pages 96-103
Abstract
We hypothesized that consuming eggs for breakfast would significantly lower postprandial satiety and energy intake throughout the day. Using a crossover design, 21 men, 20 to 70 years old, consumed 2 isoenergetic test breakfasts, in a random order separated by 1 week. The macronutrient composition of the test breakfasts were as follows: (EGG, % CHO/fat/protein = 22:55:23) and (BAGEL, % CHO/fat/protein = 72:12:16). Fasting blood samples were drawn at baseline before the test breakfast and at 30, 60, 120, and 180 minutes after breakfast. After 180 minutes, subjects were given a buffet lunch and asked to eat until satisfied. Subjects filled out Visual Analog Scales (VAS) during each blood draw and recorded food intake the days before and after the test breakfasts. Plasma glucose, insulin, and appetite hormones were analyzed at each time point. Subjects consumed fewer kilocalories after the EGG breakfast compared with the BAGEL breakfast (P< .01). In addition, subjects consumed more kilocalories in the 24-hour period after the BAGEL compared with the EGG breakfast (P < .05). Based on VAS, subjects were hungrier and less satisfied 3 hours after the BAGEL breakfast compared with the EGG breakfast (P < .01). Participants had higher plasma glucose area under the curve (P < .05) as well as an increased ghrelin and insulin area under the curve with BAGEL (P < .05). These findings suggest that consumption of eggs for breakfast results in less variation of plasma glucose and insulin, a suppressed ghrelin response, and reduced energy intake.
Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)
Appetite [drug effects]; Area Under Curve; Blood Glucose [*metabolism]; Bread; Cross-Over Studies; Dietary Carbohydrates [*administration & dosage]; Dietary Proteins [*administration & dosage]; *Eggs; Energy Intake [*drug effects]; Food Habits; Ghrelin [*blood]; Hunger [drug effects]; Insulin [blood]; Satiation [*drug effects]

MeSH check words
Adult; Aged; Humans; Male; Middle Aged; Young Adult
Correspondence Address Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA.
Accession Number PUBMED 20226994
DOI 10.1016/j.nutres.2010.01.002
Language eng
Publication Type Journal Article; Randomized Controlled Trial; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
ID CN-00750508
Useful? Yes
Wrong? No

Khane

Let's talk about why that study is stupid and the information (and especially the wording) in that graph is stupid. It isn't that eggs specifically satiate hunger better than bagels. It's that protein and fat satiates hunger better than carbohydrates. Not only that but it has nothing to do with whether you eat them for breakfast or dinner. Get off the stupid infograph. Stop giving people retarded information.

That study is so flawed it's laughable. Stop posting shit from it.

Khane

Nevermind, it actually does give the macro breakdown, I just missed it.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
They have seeds, so yes.

As for beans, listen... I'm Cuban, I ate black beans all my life, I still eat black beans VERY regularly. The only thing that's ever happened is 1. I fart like a god damn monster 2. I eat so many beans the fucking shit passes through me and never even gets digested. Literally, blackness in my shits cause the beans are just in there chillin like "sup?"

Eat beans man, they're SOOOOOO good.
This, one of my staple "I'm broke" lunches is black beans with eggs, peppers and avocado. Black beans are amazing.

I've decided to cut out daily beer drinking to see how much weight I will lose from all the empty calories. Usually drink a 6pack a night so I'm we will see. Probably will just stick to whiskey on the weekends.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I will join this crusade for better health. I am currently 6'4 280 and my goal is to get to 250 then go from there.
I am not doing this because its the beginning of the year, i am doing it because i ate like a mad mad last month and just feel shitty. First step is to cut out sugar related beverages and snacking after dinner. 2nd step is to move my ass more.

Khane

This, one of my staple "I'm broke" lunches is black beans with eggs, peppers and avocado. Black beans are amazing.

I've decided to cut out daily beer drinking to see how much weight I will lose from all the empty calories. Usually drink a 6pack a night so I'm we will see. Probably will just stick to whiskey on the weekends.
What kind of beer do you drink? Light beers usually have between 90 and 130 calories each so that's quite a lot of extra calories you are ingesting each night. Whiskey has about 80 calories per ounce, so if you are supplementing 1 shot of whiskey for every 1 beer you would have drank you aren't doing yourself many favors. And if you drink flavored porters or stouts each night those get way the hell up there in calories. You'll definitely see a difference by not drinking.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
1. Capsaicin is amazing. Just had fajitas, always add at least jalapenos to the protein when it's cooking, I prefer Serrano peppers.
2. I cut off drinking for about 4 months earlier this year, went from 230 to 195 without changing my dieting habits all that much. I also worked out very regularly during this time, but stopping drinking certainly helped. I still drank at occasions and parties and shit, but it wasn't EVERY weekend with 6-8 beers all above 10% alcohol (easily in 1000+ cal range). So yeah, if you're drinking DAILY, you'll see a huge difference.
3. Are you an alcoholic?

Vegetoee_sl

shitlord
I broke down and ate two pieces of candy today
frown.png
! First time in 5 months I had sugar, and my stomach freaking hurts like hell now. On a side note, for the first time ever in my life I have a six pack!

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
My winter hibernation usually just consists of Everquest and drinking since I live in Portland. I usually drink stouts/porters too so it's a shit load of empty calories. I'm just doing this in the name of Broscience like Khane.

Khane

Yeah, you're probably cutting 1000 calories a day out of your diet by not drinking a 6 pack a night.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I am not a heavy drinker just the occasional drink here and there and i don't drink soda at all but cutting out sugary coffee definitely helps when im trying to lose weight.