Weight Loss Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Should have her stop looking at the scale and just look in the mirror. Much easier to do when you see results rather than watching a number that fluctuates based on water and fecal retention.

Rydil

Golden Knight of the Realm
Rydil: Doc... bro... do you even lift? Just tell me some shit to do, gimme a break with this garbage
Doc: You need to rest, there are exercises you can do but you need to speak with your PT and follow the program that's been recommended
Rydil: Whatever, I've got the internet
[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */: Bros I don't know what's going on, I tried to squat with weights today but my knee hurts and I have no idea why. I think I'm not drinking enough coconut oil. Any suggestions?
My question was if I should do squats 3x8, 5x5 or any other rep/set combo. I haven't had any pain in my knee since I started working out. If I did I would go see my PT or doctor. In PT I did both 3x10 and 5x5 to build strength and endurance. My PT told me to do what I can do without pain or discomfort, so both 3x10 and 5x5. So I was wondering if there were other rep/set combos I didn't know of (I'm still new to lifting). Khane when you started back up with your shoulder what type of rep/sets did you do? Hell what type of rep/set do you use currently?

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
I'm about 5months post-op from ACL reconstruction (hamstring graft) - at 10 weeks all I was doing, following weekly physios advice, was simple lunges, exercise ball against the wall squats, clams and bridges for glutes, exercise ball hamstring curls and simple body weight stuff. I was told to do reps until I tired which was around the 15-20 per set and do 3 sets for each. At 10 weeks you should be focusing on regaining full range of movement, stretching daily and just regaining confidence in your knee. The graft isn't fully healed until 12 weeks and the 10 week mark, I was told, is a hugely dangerous time as you feel more confident and start taking risks which sometimes backfire as the graft isn't at full strength. At 5 months I've probably been doing leg press, hamstring curls etc with weights for about 5-6 weeks and after seeing my physio on Wednesday she's said I'm ahead of everyone in my physio class as I followed her advice to the letter. I'm currently at the running / sprint training stage and functional, agility based movements. Rehabbing an ACL, from my experience, isn't about adding weight or even getting back in the weight room it's about following the professionals advice and knowing it's a frustratingly long process. I'm rehabbing to get back to sport (estimated 12-14 months post surgery) and am currently on track to be back at the 10 month mark.

Rydil

I'm about 5months post-op from ACL reconstruction (hamstring graft) - at 10 weeks all I was doing, following weekly physios advice, was simple lunges, exercise ball against the wall squats, clams and bridges for glutes, exercise ball hamstring curls and simple body weight stuff. I was told to do reps until I tired which was around the 15-20 per set and do 3 sets for each. At 10 weeks you should be focusing on regaining full range of movement, stretching daily and just regaining confidence in your knee. The graft isn't fully healed until 12 weeks and the 10 week mark, I was told, is a hugely dangerous time as you feel more confident and start taking risks which sometimes backfire as the graft isn't at full strength. At 5 months I've probably been doing leg press, hamstring curls etc with weights for about 5-6 weeks and after seeing my physio on Wednesday she's said I'm ahead of everyone in my physio class as I followed her advice to the letter. I'm currently at the running / sprint training stage and functional, agility based movements. Rehabbing an ACL, from my experience, isn't about adding weight or even getting back in the weight room it's about following the professionals advice and knowing it's a frustratingly long process. I'm rehabbing to get back to sport (estimated 12-14 months post surgery) and am currently on track to be back at the 10 month mark.
I had a Cadaver graft and was told I would be back to sport at the 6-8 month range. And back to all straight line exercises at 3-4months. My range is just about back, was 132 degree and -4.5 compared to 141 and -7. So my PT time got cut and I was told to go to the gym and try things out. Tilluin why was it 5 months before you started the leg press? Once I could bend my knee enough they had me leg pressing in PT everyday. Leg press and biking just about everyday has really helped my range so far.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My question was if I should do squats 3x8, 5x5 or any other rep/set combo. I haven't had any pain in my knee since I started working out. If I did I would go see my PT or doctor. In PT I did both 3x10 and 5x5 to build strength and endurance. My PT told me to do what I can do without pain or discomfort, so both 3x10 and 5x5. So I was wondering if there were other rep/set combos I didn't know of (I'm still new to lifting). Khane when you started back up with your shoulder what type of rep/sets did you do? Hell what type of rep/set do you use currently?
Depends on what your goal is. But no, there is no magic reps/sets scheme.

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
It might be the differences in treatment (I'm from England) but I was told not to start anything with added weights until I had full stability in my knee which was tested by hops and lunges etc with good form. Both my physio and personal trainer have said it's much more important to work on functional movement related to my sport (lacrosse) than adding weight. I also do a lot of running now, including sprint work, as the impact training is good for the knee. If you're returning to sport everything I've read and heard is that you should be doing movements and actions you will do in your sport not squats etc adding weight until you reach your max. I'd say though listen to your physios as they know more than anyone on any message board about rehabbing your specific injury and if you don't know what to do in the gym hire a personal trainer (as often as you can afford). There's a personal trainer in my gym who is great with rehab that I see once a month just to check my form in what I'm doing and tailor me some additional things. Given how long and terrible the rehab is, and that professional athletes with access to the best physio and training in the world don't return from ACL surgery for 6 - 9 months, I'm tending to err on the side of caution, seek professional advice and follow it. Fuck doing this rehab again!

Rydil

Depends on what your goal is. But no, there is no magic reps/sets scheme.
Ok my goal is to do 3x15. I just wasn't sure if doing 10 reps and resting for a long period of time was better then doing 5 reps with shorter rest time. Thanks, I would keep missing with them and see if one seems to work better then the other.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Ok my goal is to do 3x15. I just wasn't sure if doing 10 reps and resting for a long period of time was better then doing 5 reps with shorter rest time. Thanks, I would keep missing with them and see if one seems to work better then the other.
FFS, do not do anything but the program given to you by your physio. Do not screw around only 10 weeks after ACL surgery or the next time we see you will be in a year when you are asking for lifting advice after a second surgery.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
(I'm still new to lifting)
10 weeks post-op is definitely not the time to change that. If you've stopped seeing your PT regularly, you should work on changing that. It can take 10 weeks for the bone to heal, and the risk of ruining the graft is high until that time.

splok_sl

shitlord
Can you post a video? I would guess your hips are inflexible and this is causing problems, but I can't say for certain without a video. 3/4 is best, but that and a side view would be better.
Yeah, would need a video. Generally if you're not squatting deep enough, it can cause excessive shear on your knees when you change directions. It's possible you have something mechanically wrong that makes it so you can't squat though.
It's not the best video in the world, but hopefully you can see whatever it is I'm fucking up on.
smile.png

Errr... You pretty much answered your own question.

You weigh a lot to be putting any extra weight on your knees, and you should not increase the weight until you can comfortably do bodyweight squats in significant quantities (ie: 3 reps of 20+ without struggling) before you start adding weight. 90lbs is a LOT of weight to be starting with as well if you're not sure of your technique, if you're talking about a bar + 25 on each side? or are you talking about bar + 2 45s which is actually 135 which would make it even worse? I know it doesn't look "manly" but doing squats with just the bar empty is a great way of working on your form.

I'm not a PT or anything, so this is pure broscience / experience from high school sports/military...
You're probably right. It seems like I'm regressing instead of progressing. I'm doing worse workouts now than when I started, which is pretty shitty for the motivation to go to the gym.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You're wearing vibram's. That's your problem.

Actually you're not hinging your hips enough. You're leaning forward (even though only slightly) and putting pressure on your knees. You need to "sit" more on the way down, you'll feel like you're doing it right when you don't feel like your heels are coming off the ground at all. That way you're using your gluts and quads for the move instead of starting the move upward with your knees. Also, it looks like you're locking your knees a bit when you come back up, keep a little flex in them even at the top of the move.

How to Squat: Proper Form Technique To Squat Perfectly - BuiltLean

So I ate a monstrous amount of food on Friday and Saturday (~8000 calories over the two days) and just haven't been hungry since, so today I only ate 966 calories because I just wasn't hungry. I put it into MyFitnessPal and it spits out this nonsense at me:

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism andmakes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1200 calories per day minimum.
So yeah... if I eat less than 1000 calories every day for like 2 weeks straight I'm gonna start fucking with my metabolism alittle, but I just have to shake my head at the bolded part.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
It's not the best video in the world, but hopefully you can see whatever it is I'm fucking up on.
smile.png
I've seen worse, and you certainly aren't too fat to be doing squats
wink.png

The biggest problem, like Khane said, is that you aren't hinging your hips, going below parallel and using them to drive up through the squat. Since you are staying high the force of the transition from down to up is being applied sideways to your knee rather than to your hips, it also keeps your center of gravity too far forward. The goal should be to get your calves and thighs to touch at least, if you aren't flexible enough dothis stretchand actually add some weigh to the bar. This can be helpful when you are learning as the weight helps push you further below parallel. I tried drawing some lines from your video and one I shot years ago to illustrate my point.

rrr_img_57434.jpg

Beyond that, your hands aren't in a good position, try to keep your wrists straight and your elbows much further up. It sounds a bit awkward but it can be done with a bit of practice. Also try moving the bar down across your back, you are in the high bar squat position but I prefer using the low bar position for new people because it helps them learn to use their hips and hamstrings more. This image shows good hand and bar placement, although the bar could even be a bit further down:

rrr_img_57435.jpg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This is informative. I tend to hold the bar up higher than that, just at the base of the neck.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
This is informative. I tend to hold the bar up higher than that, just at the base of the neck.
There are ENDLESS internet arguments about High Bar vs Low Bar, and neither side is "right". Personally I found that the low bar is more comfortable for higher weights and that it helps you learn to engage your posterior chain better when squatting for new people.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well I am definitely not squatting 500lbs like the chick in that picture, so I don't think it is as much of an issue for me at this point. Maybe I'll mess around with it just to make sure I am getting good enough form now.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well I am definitely not squatting 500lbs like the chick in that picture, so I don't think it is as much of an issue for me at this point. Maybe I'll mess around with it just to make sure I am getting good enough form now.
Don't feel bad bro, those aren't 45lb plates, they are more likely 5 or 10 lb plates (they make them big like that for clean and jerks and good gyms have plenty of em)

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah that girl has 145 on there, or possibly 115 if it's a 15 lb bar, cant tell.

Beyond that, your hands aren't in a good position, try to keep your wrists straight and your elbows much further up. It sounds a bit awkward but it can be done with a bit of practice.
Funny you mention this as I tend to keep my elbows up, I believe that comes from Rippetoe? Anyway I just had a squat seminar on Saturday and I was asked to keep my elbows down. Squeeze the bar (I'm used to no thumbs around) and in fact push up on it. Video here of him telling me elbows down:

Squat Workshop - Coachs Eye

In any event I think those are sort of minor adjustments, he also mentions I need to slow and control my descent better which I agree with.