Weight Loss Thread

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's not the best video in the world, but hopefully you can see whatever it is I'm fucking up on.
smile.png
I would have you squat to a box or medicine ball, you just need to feel where that depth is and trust yourself to get there.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
I would have you squat to a box or medicine ball, you just need to feel where that depth is and trust yourself to get there.
He could also try smaller plates (2.5lb or 5lb)under his heals. That should force him into proper position and shouldn't allow him to come that far forward.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I may be missing something but wouldn't putting plates under his heels force him to come forward on his movement downward even more? He'd be shifting his weight towards the balls of his feet before he even started the move.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think the idea there is to make it so you cant go any more forward or you'll lose your balance. I've never tried it but I've seen it used.

Another good one is to squat in front of a wall to keep from going forward, but really I think getting proper depth will fix him.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I just got back from the gym and there was some chick in there with a perfect body with those see-through yoga pants on, was so hard to concentrate.

Can anyone recommend some pre-workouts that don't taste like absolute dogshit? I like how pumped I get on NO Explode but I almost gag drinking that shit. I did try some Black Powder today and it wasn't so bad.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just got back from the gym and there was some chick in there with a perfect body with those see-through yoga pants on, was so hard to concentrate.

Can anyone recommend some pre-workouts that don't taste like absolute dogshit? I like how pumped I get on NO Explode but I almost gag drinking that shit. I did try some Black Powder today and it wasn't so bad.
I used to get BetaNox. Place stopped selling it by me but it was pretty good and worked well.Betanox Powder Citrus Blast by New Whey Nutrition - Buy Betanox Powder Citrus Blast 680 Powder at vitamin shoppe

btw.. I've never bought from that site. I'm just using the link to show you the product.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Preworkouts are mostly trash (unnecessary), but White Flood Reborn tastes good. People rave about the watermelon flavor, although I don't love it (it's good, just not as good as their old flavor). Hopefully they start making the pineapple flavor for production. They did a limited run for the holidays of 500, and that shit was delicious. Very refreshing and just...well, it was just fucking good.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
I lost 50 pounds over a three year period and kept it off. I cut out soda for a very long time but indulge from time to time, started eating breakfast again (shreddies), made lunch the main meal the day (no fast food), and salads/light supper and no snacks at night (I have been snacking lately though, mostly crackers and arrowroot cookies). Also take my dog out for a walk most days which has helped.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Creatine + Beta-Alanine for evening training
Creatine + Beta-Alanine + Caffeine for weekend training

splok_sl

shitlord
Thanks to everyone for the advice! (imaginary +nets, all around!) Looks like I've got a few things to work on improving.

actually add some weigh to the bar. This can be helpful when you are learning as the weight helps push you further below parallel.
I especially need to work on the flexibility, and ya, the form actually feels better with more weight on the bar, but one knee isn't cooperating with that anymore. Hopefully sorting out the other stuff will help with the knee too.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Funny you mention this as I tend to keep my elbows up, I believe that comes from Rippetoe? Anyway I just had a squat seminar on Saturday and I was asked to keep my elbows down. Squeeze the bar (I'm used to no thumbs around) and in fact push up on it. Video here of him telling me elbows down:

Squat Workshop - Coachs Eye

In any event I think those are sort of minor adjustments, he also mentions I need to slow and control my descent better which I agree with.
It does, for me it really helped hold the bar securely when the weights got heavy (my work sets got up to 165kg before I stopped). You are right though, it is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I'm with Elurin, any help you are experiencing is primarily caused by placebo rather than anything in the supplement itself (like pretty much all supplements). Plenty of sleep and good food is best, but if you really do need a pick me up right before training (happens to all of us) I recommend acup of black coffee and a square of super dark chocolate. It also doesn't taste like ass. Keep in mind this works best if you don't do it routinely but only once in a while when you need it.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I lost 50 pounds over a three year period and kept it off. I cut out soda for a very long time but indulge from time to time, started eating breakfast again (shreddies), made lunch the main meal the day (no fast food), and salads/light supper and no snacks at night (I have been snacking lately though, mostly crackers and arrowroot cookies). Also take my dog out for a walk most days which has helped.
Congrats! 3 years means you are probably in it for the long haul and will have major long-term benefits. I'm in a similar boat as you although for me it has been more like 7 years. I will never be that big again *shudder*.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I used to use some pre-workout thing but I can't remember the name, it was like NO-xplode. I used NO-xplode with my brother and he had to go to the hospital because it caused him to have a panic attack about thinking his heart was going to explode.

I noticed the pre-workout I used had a lot of caffeine in it, so I just started drinking a no sugar no carb Monster before the gym. Saw the same results.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Put me in the black coffee camp. I start every weekday morning with a cup of black coffee in a thermos on the way to the gym. Save money on silly preworkout shit and spend it on more/tastier protein powder for shakes.

Unrelated: I recently moved from a fairly ghetto area (read: largely black/hispanic) to an upper-middle class white area. My old gym was full of enormous, jacked black dudes and short, "upper body every day" Mexicans with Napoleon complexes. My new gym is full of skinny-fat, old white guys. I was one of the most out of shape people at my old gym, but I'm one of the more fit people at the new one.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
Congrats! 3 years means you are probably in it for the long haul and will have major long-term benefits. I'm in a similar boat as you although for me it has been more like 7 years. I will never be that big again *shudder*.
Thanks! And I know what you mean. Never going back to the old days.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Put me in the black coffee camp. I start every weekday morning with a cup of black coffee in a thermos on the way to the gym. Save money on silly preworkout shit and spend it on more/tastier protein powder for shakes.

Unrelated: I recently moved from a fairly ghetto area (read: largely black/hispanic) to an upper-middle class white area. My old gym was full of enormous, jacked black dudes and short, "upper body every day" Mexicans with Napoleon complexes. My new gym is full of skinny-fat, old white guys. I was one of the most out of shape people at my old gym, but I'm one of the more fit people at the new one.
After you've been going to the gym a while, you realize that the amount of people that are actually in shape is pretty abysmal. You'll probably notice about 10-20 regulars at your normal gym time (depending on when you go), and there will be 3-4 sets of regulars; early morning, afternoon, after work, and late. Of the regulars, at least half are probably people who are spinning their wheels and will never make progress ever. If you stick with it for a year and aren't retarded with your diet/progression, you'll likely be one of the most in shape people in your gym.

A lot of that does depend on your gym though. At the Gold's Gym I went to in San Diego for a week, the inside area there weren't very many big guys. Outside (they have an inside and outside free weight area), however, I'd see guys that were fucking jacked pretty regularly.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Yea it definitely varies gym by gym. The gym I went to in my hometown were mostly old white people, who were basically working out to not die. Moved to a bigger city and joined a gym called Red Leraille's, which is like a mecca for working out. I went from being one of the better athletes at my old gym to really a skinny scrub in a land of giants.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The soda thing is no joke, I was pushing 210 but after about 8 months of almost zero soda I am down to 175, I did also cut out all dairy as well about 6 months ago to include milk(switched to almond). Now if I can just stop eating a row of fig bars every few days and actually exercise I am sure I could get some definition going.