Weight Loss Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sean_sl

shitlord
Being fat sucks. A couple years ago I was up to 275 and I decided that I was sick of myself and could not be obese anymore. Ended up dropping down to 180 with dieting. Sadly, I then got back into WoW and old habits came back and I went back up to 230. I'm trying to get back down again and I want to stay down this time (no more fucking WoW, ever). No more pop, no more coffee, etc.

Today I weighed myself at 226.0.

Currently I'm trying the same type of diet I was doing before: 2x 180 calorie slimfast drinks, 1x 200 calorie snack bar, 2x 100 calorie light yogurts spread through out the day and a light, mostly protein, low carb/fat dinner (IE, grilled chicken breast) along with raw vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli). I hate water, so I'm drinking Crystal Light.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Look at the bright side. Last time you were 270 before you decided to stop being fat, now you're 230.

Getting older is a bummer. Lifestyle changes are also a bummer.

• 1Like

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I plan to do the Stillman diet for about 2 weeks. I've been slacking and need to stop about 15-20.. I carry it well but I still hate the way I feel.. anyone ever try Stillman?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It is not just dieting, you need a life style change. Join a gym and exercise. I've seen miracles at my cross-fit gym. Paleo plus a 5 days per week workout will do wonders.

Pops

I weighed 300 lbs in high school. Bought a book on exercise and got down into the 170's.

• 1WTF

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That diet sounds awful, Sean. Stop thinking about dieting in terms of some ludicrous thing that you go on, but as something that you fix in a way that is sustainable for you in the long term. Start some kind of exercise, too, even if it's just walking for 20 minutes per day.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
I'm fat. But I'm not 'meant' to be. I don't wear it well like some. I was lanky my whole life. 6'1" 155-180 for most of it, until a few years ago. Moved away from the place I called home for 30 years, got older, a touch of depression, some mmo playing, and voila! Fat. Bleh.

It's coming off slowly. I've come to realize I can't crash diet. I feel like shit restricting my calories too much. So it's been just a slight shift here, a slight shift there, grilled chicken sandwich and salad if I must get fast food instead of a burger and fries. Portion control is huge. Seems to be coming off a few pounds every couple weeks. It's going to be a long, slow slog to do this right. So be it. Fuck being fat. It's insane what an insidious thing being overweight is. Saps you of your energy, metabolism is fucked, making it harder to lose the weight, plus age, fucking catch-22 with this shit. I've also lost my ability to integrate socially with people. I'm an engaging guy normally, but the fat creates a poor body image, which in turn has made me into a human-avoiding recluse. Those of you for which being fat is a lifelong struggle, I truly feel for you dudes and chicks, now seeing what it's like from the inside.

Being fat is the ultimate first world problem. No fucking reason to be fat (except for when there is, like my mother-in-law, her bipolar meds make her fat) just like there is no reason to smoke cigarettes. I smoked cigarettes for years and quit cold turkey. It was easy once I decided to do it. Purely an act of focus and willpower. I was able to change my shit permanently with cigarettes, so it will be with all this fatty fucking fat on my bones. Fat.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Me and my fiance started a health living goal about 2 months ago. Basically, we are getting married in August and she hates being fat.

We started a program called "C25K" on her iPod. It's a free app that basically is meant for someone to start from the couch "C" and build up to running a 5k (C25K). The first few weeks are just a couple minutes of jogging then a couple minutes of walking back and forth for about 30 minutes. Now we're reaching the end and we're running for about 28 minutes straight at this point. It's something I never in a million years though I could accomplish, but here I am doing it. This week sucks because I have a chest cold, so my breath is tough to manage, but still going strong. I haven't lost a whole lot of weight on this, but my fiance has. Even if you don't lose a lot of weight, you can feel your legs getting stronger and having that stronger cardio sets you up for all sorts of exercises you can do. I definitely recommend trying it out to get a bit more healthy.

On top of that we started eating healthier. We aren't eating grilled chicken breast, broccoli, and brown rice every meal - I mean, that's fine if you're trying to become absolutely shredded, but we're trying to live normal lives as well. We replaced ice-cream with sugar-free icecream. Stopped having sandwiches during the day for lunch - we use oat brand pitas now. No more snacking at all. NO SODA. I drink low-carb low-sugar Monsters for my caffeine fix. They're like 30 calories with about 4g Carbs and sugars. It's smart changes like this that you move into your daily life that will have a major impact. Is the Monster really healthy? Probably not, but with my lifestyle and the hours I work/school it's necessary for me to function.

Also, try to join a gym and do serious weight lifting. There's a big misconception that you lift weights if you want to be huge, and you just do cardio if you want to lose weight. Weight lifting will burn far greater calories if you really put your heart into it and do it properly. On top of that, you will start seeing a lot of definition in your muscles. I'm not sure if your goal is to just be skinny/toned or what, but this is the thing I recommend most to people trying to lose weight. No one ever listens though..

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Sean,

I believe you said you're on disability? Not sure what kind of course, but I highly recommend adding workouts (if possible) in addition to your diet plan. I started doing P90X and Insanity a couple of years ago and lost 40 lbs. I'm at a point now where I can eat pretty much anything within reason and still maintain my weight.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So yeah, I'm a fatty and tired of it. I'm a realistic fatty though and I know trying to start this now in the middle of my holiday baking for friends and family would be a retarded idea. So while I wont be trying to not eat said snacks, I wont be going overboard on them this year.

I've been paying for a gym membership that I haven't used since July. Gonna start using that again after the holiday.

• 1Solidarity

Sean_sl

shitlord
225.2 lbs today.

Yesterday I had 2 slimfast drinks and Chinese food - an egg roll, some sesame chicken, sweet & sour chicken, and fried rice. Also a couple fortune cookies. It was really fucking hard to not give in and eat the left overs from it, especially the second egg roll and more rice.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was gonna make a thread on this, I did on Morenetz but never recreated it.

Anyway.... TL;DR:

While it all does come down to Calories in - Calories out = Change in weight (energy) this is overly simplistic.

Eat "real" food. Nothing processed, modified as 'low fat' or 'low carb' or "lite". Just simple foods in their whole form. A roasted chicken, a steak, fish fillet, vegetable, nuts, seeds etc.

Avoid any refined or processed carbs and grains. Cutting sugar from your diet is huge. Cutting bread, bagels, pasta, baked goods, anything with flour in it... will have a huge impact. Carbs should be veggies, green leafy ones preferably.

Fat is important, dont fear it or cut it from your diet. Usually the fat along with your protein is a good thing: whole eggs, marbled steak, fish etc. Also have nuts, seeds, avocado, olive oil etc.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Is there a specific reason you're drinking the Slimfast shakes? 360 calories worth of real food would probably fill you up more than a couple cans of liquid.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
225.2 lbs today.

Yesterday I had 2 slimfast drinks and Chinese food - an egg roll, some sesame chicken, sweet & sour chicken, and fried rice. Also a couple fortune cookies. It was really fucking hard to not give in and eat the left overs from it, especially the second egg roll and more rice.
If you're trying to lose weight please lose the chinese food. dat sodium..

Sean_sl

shitlord
Is there a specific reason you're drinking the Slimfast shakes? 360 calories worth of real food would probably fill you up more than a couple cans of liquid.
Because I get them cheap from the liquidators store and it's easy to do and keep track of.

If you're trying to lose weight please lose the chinese food. dat sodium..
Yeah, I know. I normally do not eat it. I felt like cheating a bit since it was the Survivor finale though.

Devlin

Golden Squire
I lost 60 pounds last year on a huge crash diet, some days I would eat 2 apples, some days a bowl of cereal.

I started to put a lot of it on again and I now know the main reason for it, lack of exercise, I don't even eat a lot I just do jack shit, I drove everywhere and if I didn't need to go out then I wouldn't go out.

Just walking somewhere every day for the sake of it makes a huge difference.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I lost 60 pounds last year on a huge crash diet, some days I would eat 2 apples, some days a bowl of cereal.

I started to put a lot of it on again and I now know the main reason for it, lack of exercise, I don't even eat a lot I just do jack shit, I drove everywhere and if I didn't need to go out then I wouldn't go out.

Just walking somewhere every day for the sake of it makes a huge difference.
This is incredibly true and it's why you find so many more fat people in the suburbs. Without actively changing my diet or making an effort to exercise I lost about 30 pounds over 4 months when I moved from the suburbs to the center of a city (i.e no car, walking everywhere).

It's cliche, but even little stuff like taking the stairs every day at work or walking to lunch instead of driving can have massive impacts on your health.

This all goes back to what others said earlier about needing to make a lifestyle change to lose weight and keep it off. "Dieting" is always going to fail in the longterm, but a lifestyle change will keep you healthy for, well, life.