Weight Loss Thread

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Well, I think the point is to not just try to undereat your BMR and go from there, because eventually you'll be restricted down to nothing. Eat at/near BMR and get your deficit through exercise.
I didn't really get that takeaway, I read until I got to the "absolutely no alcohol" line and laughed out loud.

What do you mean by restriction, though? If I just eat 250 calories below my TDEE I'll gradually lose weight until I die; that's the thing about TDEE, its a moving target. People who "plateau" are just people who are eating maintence and either counting calories wrong or calculating their TDEE wrong.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I didn't really get that takeaway, I read until I got to the "absolutely no alcohol" line and laughed out loud.

What do you mean by restriction, though? If I just eat 250 calories below my TDEE I'll gradually lose weight until I die; that's the thing about TDEE, its a moving target. People who "plateau" are just people who are eating maintence and either counting calories wrong or calculating their TDEE wrong.
I think your BMR will decrease as you lose weight, so you will have to eat less and less to continue to lose weight.

I do think people's BMR also responds to too severe of a cut as well, independent of simple lean body mass calculations.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Minnesota Starvation Experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaHe took men that were eating 3200 calories a day and exercising, and maintaining that way, and healthy (say 15% bodyfat) and strictly controlled their diet, no cheating, no escaping, for 6 months. Yes, these were big muscular men eligable for military service, but chose this as a way to not have to serve.

Throughout the duration of the study each man was assigned specific work tasks, was expected to walk 22 miles (35 km) each week
So they had to work... and walk about 3 miles a day, every day, all on 1500 calories a day. I don't walk 3 miles in an entire week. I'm also at much higher than 15% body fat. I also occasionally cheat on my diet and eat way more than 1500 calories.

The guy that cut off his fingers with the axe, it might have just been an accident.

Also, there was a problem in that the 1500 calories was primarily 100% carbohydrate, zero protein, very little fat. Some of them were restricted to much lower than 1500 calorie diets. They tailored it to each individual so that they would lose 25% body mass in 6 months.
rrr_img_87878.jpg

When I start to look like that, then I'll be worried about my metabolism slowing or something stupid like that... until then, well you can see my results so far, my most recent picture is only a page or 2 back, so far the IF and calorie restriction is working great.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I'm curious how much money people in this thread have spent on personal trainers or programs, etc etc. Ossoi, are you willing to disclose a number?

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
$0 for me.

Anyway, decided to change up my leg day a bit:

Low bar squat - 5x5
Sumo deadlift - 3x10
RDLs - 3x10
Sumo squat - 3x10
Calf raises - 5x10

I'm think it's a little too hammy dominant and may sub in front squats or simply add them to the routine. Really need to build my quads as it's holding my squat back. Knees begin to cave at higher weights (300+) and I have to flare those fuckers out to keep form, no bueno.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I'm prepping for my Grand Canyon hike (46 miles in 24 hours!), so I've been doing a shit ton of legs.

70lb lunges (50 lunges around the room)
10 reps of piston squats (I'm starting to add the barbell)
700lb leg presses (20 reps)
240lb squats (16 reps)
30lb goblet squats on bosu ball (20 reps)
Ab/Adductors (I don't know weight, but I do 40 reps each)
60lb hamstring curls {12 reps} (lying, seated, and standing)
180lb burn out leg extensions
200lb donkey and standing calf raises (20 reps, parallel and turned out)

At home I do random distance hikes with 50lbs in a backpack to strengthen legs and get used to carrying weight up and downhill.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Just be careful not to overdo it and injure yourself right before your hike. Sometimes less is more. Especially leg extensions and hamstring curls, which are both often recommended against in favor of compound exercise (which you're already doing).

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Thanks for the advice. The last thing I need are stress fractures, any ligament tears, or bursitis...haha.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I'm curious how much money people in this thread have spent on personal trainers or programs, etc etc. Ossoi, are you willing to disclose a number?
And almost 2 years later, you're still going on about it and referencing me in virtually every other post. Christ
Like I said, you're obsessed. Do you take a photo of me to the gym so you have someone to compete against?

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
$0 for me.

Anyway, decided to change up my leg day a bit:

Low bar squat - 5x5
Sumo deadlift - 3x10
RDLs - 3x10
Sumo squat - 3x10
Calf raises - 5x10

I'm think it's a little too hammy dominant and may sub in front squats or simply add them to the routine. Really need to build my quads as it's holding my squat back. Knees begin to cave at higher weights (300+) and I have to flare those fuckers out to keep form, no bueno.
What's wrong with flaring your knees out? As long as they're tracking over your feet, no problem, right?

Ossoi you're just an easy target to make fun of. I'm curious how much money you spent in your pursuit of low BF % and minimal strength, when really, you just needed to eat less food.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I actually misspoke in that post. I meant I need to build my hamstrings. I'm forcing my quads to flare out because they want to buckle and take over the load because my posterior chain is shit.

Intox_sl

shitlord
Itlan, Maybe add in pause squats after your 5x5 as a back off set and really focus on keeping those knees tracking. I don't know what you do for mobility/warm-up but I would really warm up those adductors and abductors and add in some foam rolling before hand.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I do the same, I also have extremely tight hamstrings and glutes, so I work on those as well.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yoga is pretty awesome. You'll feel better than you've probably ever felt before when it's done. And the next day you're going to be sore as hell.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I love doing Bikram yoga. I hate the creator of it, but love (absolutely love) hot yoga. Plus, only Bikram can you actually see sweat coming from people's crotches. Oh man do I wanna lap up that crotch stank.