Weird interview/job offer experiences?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
What kind of payscale we talking about? (versus norms for the field up there - i.e. +10% over norm - please don't answer in Canadabux since that means nothing to me) This seems like a ton of horseshit to jump through if it's not exceptional pay for the field.

The headhunter quoted me a very nice number. About 25% more than what I'm making now.

There's no pressure on me just yet. I'm still on contract for at least another five months.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The headhunter quoted me a very nice number. About 25% more than what I'm making now.

There's no pressure on me just yet. I'm still on contract for at least another five months.

When the Dr asks you to pull your pants down and bend over, just close your eyes and think of Trudeau.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Maybe this is all just an elaborate Weinstein-esqe plot to get me to suck someone's penis

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
At least it's well over norms it sounds then, so the bullshit might be worth the hassle.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I work in HR, but not with family. And standardized tests in hiring are bullshit IMO - might work for places like Amazon that hire thousands in a day, but for any normal business that doesn't go through employees like a thresher it's pointless, I get a better feel with in-person "testing" if there's any doubts.

They're good when you're hiring for a technical job. In my field, everyone puts that they know all kinds of programming languages on their resume. Giving them a piece of paper and saying "Write me some code that does X" is a great way to make sure you're not hiring a bullshit artist.

Vaclav

They're good when you're hiring for a technical job. In my field, everyone puts that they know all kinds of programming languages on their resume. Giving them a piece of paper and saying "Write me some code that does X" is a great way to make sure you're not hiring a bullshit artist.

Heh, might be true enough in computer worlds. I don't look at any coder resumes that don't come with some examples of coding that I then forward off to the department to review since anything past CompSci 101 is 99% Greek to me - before I switched to the MBA->MSHRM track I did a year of CompSci and nearly dropped out of college because I hated it so much. We've got a glut of programmers out here, so we've never been short if I prune those that don't have the foresight to include code. [We've got at least 2 relatively decent tier programming schools out here, robotics competitions at most of the high schools that often place internationally, etc - would be shocked if anywhere outside of Silicon Valley has more, and out here, we don't have that many programming employers, loads of them leave or telecommute]

Although I will say, I don't think I ever made sure I asked them to make sure the candidate didn't plagiarize the code that they're presenting. Next time I get one, I'll add that caveat. (I assume there's an online resource to do that, like professors have to make sure papers aren't plagiarized these days)

Thanks for inspiring that muse. I can imagine a few have been bold enough to try to plagiarize, would hate to know I let some through with bogus code.

Vaclav

Is code samples a thing? I just drop a link to my github.

Some have been githubs, I've had some include thumb drives with code, or just shoot me an email directly with an attachment. I don't mean like text printouts if that's how you took it.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Forgot I started this thread. Guess my spidey sense was working. Company went bankrupt, they are being sued by everyone including the state since it was a state project. I think (from what I hear) the guy I talked to is wanted for running off with some of the money. Whole deal turned out to be a clusterfuck. The company was a daughter company of another out of state and they managed to drag them down as well and they are going thru bankrupcy now.