Well, now what?

Flank_sl

shitlord
Increasing randomisation can mitigate some of the spoilers. Instead of having monster X spawn in a location, have a chance of X Y Z A B or C. Instead of having item X drop from monster X, have a chance of ...

Spoilers will still help, but wont be as effective.

Tomodachi_sl

shitlord
As far as 'well, now what?', I've settled on three things:

1. Maintain a sub or two to an MMO that is different, doesn't require constant attention to progress your character and delivers AAA entertainment amidst periodic bouts of relative boredom and disinterest: EvE Online.

2. Maintain a free account on an MMO that is faster paced and more immediately gratifying than the first, but doesn't deliver long-term reward the way MMO's typically do: Planetside 2.

3. Play any one of the stellar single player games out there for your RPG fix while waiting for the next MMO unicorn to be spotted. Learn to love Bathesda (Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, Dishonored), break down and give Ubisoft another chance despite their still horrible DRM (Far Cry 3), take advantage of the current Steam sale and buy Batman: Arkham Asylum or Arkham City GoTY packs on 50% discount for something different.

...by the time you're done with that hopefully EQ:Next will have come out and won't be terrible.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Your hardcore game will probably maintain sub 100k numbers. No other MMORPG has really maintained anything north of 500k subs for very long. A low budget will bring you crap graphics and shitty UI with tons of network code including plenty of ways to cheat and hack the game.

Essentially you have no idea what you're talking about. Especially when you say:

I mean that's just the height of ignorance and naivite when it comes to the gaming public. You think you're going to get 100k let alone a "niche" 500k to not cheat by promising to not have a browser up in another monitor with a hand drawn map in MS paint.
where do people come up with these numbers for a hypothetical "hardcore" mmo?

Flank_sl

shitlord
Unless they aim for the asian market, although they might need to go for some sort of cash shop model in most asian countries. While EQ had a lot of subs in north america, the crazy asian games still dwarf it.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
success depends on more than just design. an mmo with little overseas marketing and no international servers isn't going to do very well.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Yes, but the manner in which people actually play games has changed.

Back in classic eq you had a shitty 56K internet connection that wasn't helpful to live streaming 10 different webpages for every possible whim that came to mind while you were simultaneously running around stabbing goblins.

It's true that people don't have to read the information sites but it's pretty much expected of you to be able to participate in any higher tier content because people aren't so much interested in adventuring / exploring / testing out strategies but rather in defeating challenges in the most efficient manner to farm gear. There were a small number of people like that during classic EQ, but it's definitely the norm now.

The ways in which most people play games and socialize has most certainly changed. There's nothing wrong with their style of gameplay. I just don't find it all that compelling or captivating.
I printed all my shit at school/work and stuck it in a binder when I played EQ. I had maps, quest walkthroughs and tons of my own notes. I sort of do the same thing still with WoW but it's all digital these days. Mostly just links to relevant info for my class and such.

The future of the MMO probably will hinge around social improvement. The main problem though will be privacy. It would be very very nice to get a grouping algorithm that could take both input (things like willing to group with newbies, willing to lead etc.) and also weigh in things automatically like times most often played, content most of the time is spent on and things like that. I see isolated servers as a bygone era with one community in a future MMOs so having a solid social framework will be equally, if not more, important than good content and gameplay.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Ideas like this don't work well any more (if they ever did) because of spoiler sites. The moment you make the map more hassle to use than viewing on a website, is the moment you have created a redundant mechanic. Equally nobody is going to want to trade or purchase a map when you can just print one out or look at it on a website, unless you are talking about having the area physically locked until you purchase the map, in which case you are just creating keyed areas, much like when players used to sell access to Kaesora in EQ. Speaking of EQ, take P99 which has no map feature. I have most of the old EQ zones committed to memory (I was surprised just how many I remembered actually), but for zones I couldn't quite remember the layout of, I just had the P99 wiki open on my tablet next to me.
Spoiler sites exist for all games, true. But the real point was to simply force a player to stop and look at a map, figure out where they are, pick out land marks, check their compass and then proceed. It turns navigation into a bit of a process rather than just looking at a big yellow arrow and following it. Whether the map they are looking at is in game or from a website isn't the real issue. I agree trading maps would be useless however, unless the information contained on the maps was time sensitive.

Increasing randomisation can mitigate some of the spoilers. Instead of having monster X spawn in a location, have a chance of X Y Z A B or C. Instead of having item X drop from monster X, have a chance of ...

Spoilers will still help, but wont be as effective.
In a static world that never changes, you make your map once and you're done. If randomly generated dungeons had the potential of appearing, and were only good for one or two clearings before they went away; then the hunt for good navigation information would occur too quickly to rely on a website.

You could even have a mechanic where a dungeon entrance becomes phased for the person who discovers it first. They can then share this info with guild members, party members, or sell a map with a marker on it. Maybe there is some sort of exploration skill that enhances the quality of the dungeons that are found or the frequency of finding them. People could turn a profit just scouting out new places to find things to kill. Could do this with rare creature lairs as well.

I dunno how that idea would work out. Would have to make dungeon discovery a semi rare occurrence for the average player or there would be no need to trade the information at all, everyone would just stumble around till something popped up. I wouldn't give up on permanent dungeons either, as those are a great way to bring people together. But I think having randomly generated, temporary content could help keep things fresher longer.

I used the mission terminals in AO like everyone else. I liked them for the fact that you could scale their level, but they were very small and very repetitive. Would have to take some pages from the Action RPG book on good randomization (but skip the chapter on D3).

If you want more modding opportunities for custom player generated content you normally need a non subscription based game.

I like the idea of being able to replay a custom scenario of a game after the main story has been finished. Some custom scenarios even end up better than the original game. I really enjoyed games from game companies that provided tools for the community to actively mod the game. Those were companies you could tell cared about making people enjoy the game instead of debating which npc's / quests require silver tier item shop access to experience.
It will be interesting to see what happens with Neverwinter for player made content, but that's not really what I had in mind. What I have in mind for an MMO is to provide stuff to do that isn't technically 'content'. For example look at Unreal Tournament, I played that game for at least 3 years and there are no quests, no dialogue, no loots, no dungeon runs, no nothing. It's just the same thing over and over, running around shooting people and capturing cap points or flags or whatever. I think an MMORPG should try to do something like that. Have towns that are valuable to the player like Qeynos and Freeport or whatever, but they sometimes get overrun by orcs or dragons or whatever else. Players will want to log in and fight in a big battle, and whether they win or lose shouldn't even matter, it should be the fun of the battle that counts. And there would be alternatives like crafting or doing dungeons, but this stuff is just on the side, and the motivation of this is that it will aid you in future big battles.

Everquest was similar with the dungeons. Places like Lower Guk, there was a point in 1999/2000 when people spent many months camped in that zone and doing very little else. They would log in, try to get a group, and spend the whole night camped in a zone with someone pulling mobs. Their exp would creep upwards, and there was a chance that the named in their room might spawn and drop an item that they might get. My point is that there is content like this which is low cost yet actually quite enjoyable, if it's done right. It's still enjoyable and the players are still motivated to play it, and they will spend 5 hours every night for months, and yet it doesn't need hundreds of lines of dialogue, cutscenes, voice overs, quest items and mechanics and lots of different disposable locations etc.. It just needs smart design and the game could be fun, and have longevity, while still being relatively cheap to make. It just needs a good design.

Yes, but the manner in which people actually play games has changed.
Yeah but we've been through this before on FoH. You just can't satisfy both sets of gamers, it's just not possible. Someone like me is just never going to fully enjoy a game like WoW. And the average WoW player is just never going to enjoy a game like I want. The two are just not compatible, and the few games we get which try to shoot down the middle, just end up unsatisfying to both types of people. That's why I think devs need to just go all out in one direction. Either get a 100 million dollar budget and make your own version of a WoW clone, and you have a chance of doing ok with it like Rift. Or get a 50 million dollar budget and make a niche game but which is very popular with a particular group of people. The only example I can think of like that, is Eve, but there may be others. But this type of approach just never gets explored by companies, they are all too busy being idiots and chasing the phat WoW pie and failing time and time again.

Your hardcore game will probably maintain sub 100k numbers.
No u

No other MMORPG has really maintained anything north of 500k subs for very long.
So what? No MMORPG ever had anything near 10+ million subscribers before WoW. You make a stupid point.

A low budget will bring you crap graphics and shitty UI with tons of network code including plenty of ways to cheat and hack the game.
EQ had a low budget and is still being played 13 years later. Again, you make shit points because you are a fucking retard.

Essentially you have no idea what you're talking about. Especially when you say:
I mean that's just the height of ignorance and naivite when it comes to the gaming public.
Actually prick, I am THE ONLY one who has an idea of what I'm talking about... because I'm the only one who has already played games like this and seen how they work. You make your shitty points based on zero experience. How many MMO's have you even played? Like 4 or 5? What the fuck makes you think your opinion is even vaguely valid? Get a reality check moron.

You think you're going to get 100k let alone a "niche" 500k to not cheat by promising to not have a browser up in another monitor with a hand drawn map in MS paint.
So what if they do that? They could do that in EQ too back in 1999, just as I could get walkthroughs and cheat codes for all the games I've ever played. If someone wants to do that, that's their own problem. Others will play it how it's supposed to be played and it's those people they should cater the game towards. If some retards like you want to cheat and blast through to max level in no time, then let them do it. They will soon quit and be gone and leave the game to the none retards who are busy playing in a sandbox and actually enjoying the game that they paid for rather than trying to find shortcuts to the end of it like a fucking dumbass.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
I printed all my shit at school/work and stuck it in a binder when I played EQ. I had maps, quest walkthroughs and tons of my own notes. I sort of do the same thing still with WoW but it's all digital these days. Mostly just links to relevant info for my class and such.
Yep. Printouts from EQAtlas & Allakhazam/EQlizer/EQLore/EQ Stratics and a notepad full of /locs. Anyone who said they didn't do this is either a liar, an idiot, or had a really good memory.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Was qwerty always this angry on FOH? He's been trolling the living shit out of the MMO section on here...and maybe I just didn't notice it on FOH.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
EQ had spoiler sites from day one.
Having a few coordinates spoiled and a small atlas isn't the same as having a wiki of every single thing in your game noted with videos of how to do every raid.

Early EQ had a lot of mystery and most early raids were done via trial and error. Raid strats were mostly kept in house. This was evident by watching some of the comical early Fear breaks. Did your guild kill Vox or Trak? If so, where'd you get that info?

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Having a few coordinates spoiled and a small atlas isn't the same as having a wiki of every single thing in your game noted with videos of how to do every raid.

Early EQ had a lot of mystery and most early raids were done via trial and error. Raid strats were mostly kept in house. This was evident by watching some of the comical early Fear breaks. Did your guild kill Vox or Trak? If so, where'd you get that info?
Psst. Most people who played EQ didn't raid, so that shit effectively didn't matter.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Psst. Most people who played EQ didn't raid, so that shit effectively didn't matter.
Wow, imagine that. You mean you didnt have to do the same 3-4 instances over and over for some shitty generic gear that everyone else has, and puts a number to (hello gearscore) in order to have fun in a game at endgame? That game must of sucked!

EQ needed spoiler sites moreso than todays games, which hold your hand, give you in game maps of not only the zones themselves, but the entire gameworld. With little points of interest where to go next for your stupid pointless quest to collect 10 furry bear asses. In fact I would call this a great feature of a game like EQ. I bet I spent as much time or more on the nets reading about it and its secrets than playing it. In EQ, your exploration started at lv1 and never really ended. No maps, no waypoints, no NPCs with question marks breadcrumbing your way to the next question mark NPC. No addons that even make this easier to do, like adding big waypoint arrows and the meters until the next quest.

In EQ, especially the beginning, no one had maps. You learned the different zones by landmarks and other features and by spending tons of time in them, not just plowing through them to complete the set of shitty generic quests that make you cringe while rolling your eyes so much you get a fucking headache. There is no expolration in new games such as wow. Because aside the quests that take you places, there is simply nothing to expore. No unique places with unique mobs with placeholders to spawn a more interesting mob which drops something cool and unique that only that mob drops. The games youre advocating here as some masterpieces of modern gameplay have set loot tables of generic preditirmined loot which were spawned on an excel sheet not at the hands of a developer making cool unique powerful items which are pretty much what items are in any RPG since thr PnP days and Zelda. Now when you did run across an NPC that hinted at a quest in EQ. You knew it was not going to be a generic, collect 10 bat wing quest with a generic reward that no one gives a shit about.

In EQ people used the sky to tell which way was N,S, E,W. A printed out map only helped you a little bit until you learned the zone and its ins and outs and land marks and other zone lines.

So go ahead, Itzena. Keep advocating for generic. Keep advocating for daily quests, and running the same instance over and over as some awesome "end game", to complete your generic set of gear that every other asshole has. Because, you know, since 10 million people are playing it, and its made by Blizzard /bow, it surely must be the best RPG MMO ever made, right?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
rrr_img_4826.jpg

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Did you play EQ in 1999? Did you have a map, or are we relying on google?

I was there day 1. I did not have a map. I knew of nobody who had a decent map, outside of scribbles.

I get the feeling you weren't around back then, and wouldn't know the name of Dorn B'Dynn or any of the other notable fun pieces of EQ nostalgia that those of us who played, without a decent map, do.