Well, now what?

EQ1's design would make for a horrible game today.
I disagree. When I play it today it seems like a breath of fresh air because it's just so different to what you are used to. Unlike other games where you whiz through the shitty content to max level so you can raid or whatever, in old EQ, the game actually starts at level 1. It's a survival game right from the start because mobs are difficult to kill and there are much higher level wanderers that pwn you. And also XP is so incredibly slow, you really need to kill lots of mobs quickly and constantly, but you are just not capable of it because you are mostly naked with a rusty sword and some cloth pants (even as a tank). Yes some people would just rage quit as soon as they saw this, but a lot of people revel in that kind of challenge, and even modern gamers are the same. They maybe expect more information on how to succeed, but they are happy to step up to the challenge.

Also the real world feel is pretty much unmatched. Like when I'm waiting for the boat in freeport and the fisherman comes over to visit the girl fishing off the dock. I think there is some love story or something around those two. But with stuff like that and all the factions, even such an old primitive game succeeded more at feeling like a real world than anything else. I also like how there is limited music. The tunes play (in a loop unfortunately) when you step on specific triggers. So when you reach the entrance to Felwithe for example, that trumpet type song starts playing, and when you get in the vicinity of Kelethin the harp song starts playing. But away from the towns there is no music at all. It's just you and the crickets and the grunts of the wildlife, it makes you very immersed.

Instancing came about because of the way online game third party scripting / rmt botting companies took over shit and owned it hard.
No instancing game about because it's a cheap way of delivering content. In EQ you had one or two key dungeons in the high levels and they ended up totally overcrowded. One solution is to just add more dungeons filled with similar content as a nice alternative (expensive), and another solution is to just copy & paste that exact same dungeon in to multiple instances for an infinite number of people (cheap as shit). A side effect is that it no longer feels much like a world, there are no trains and interactions with other people outside of your little locked group, and it also means that loot floods the world faster.

Vanguard showed how to solve all that shit. They did it the manly way and said no to instancing, and just made a shit ton of dungeons, and it totally worked. The world is so big and filled with content if you find one dungeon that is busy, you can just travel for a few minutes and find a whole other dungeon. And sometimes when you find other players in a dungeon you can just join their group. Personally I don't mind some instancing maybe for raid content or something, but I don't like the extreme ways games do it. I don't like Vanguard's extreme instancing phobia, and I don't like all the other modern games instancing everything.

There are other ways to deal with that problem other than instancing, but removing instances is like removing the medicine because of a side affect. It won't make the disease that lead to the prescription go away.
You can remove instancing if you have enough content and design it so that people can spread out evenly through that content. EQ only had trouble with overcrowding because the game was hugely more popular than they expected it to be, and therefore their design was not sufficient. Again, Vanguard was their second attempt and knowing how much bigger the audience could be, they designed the world better, and it worked. Vanguard's failings were in other areas.

Technology / the Internet became more stable and faster allowing for things like being able to browse information sites while playing a game and for more than a handful of people to raid in the same spot without lagging out a zone or disconnecting.

Guilds / gaming cliques today don't have the need to restrict it's membership like guilds did back then. The only limit today on guilds is how willing your members are to farm up loot for newbies.
All that depends on the game.

In some games guilds are not interested in newbies because they need to waste time 'gearing up' people to their level. And then if that person gets burned out and quits, all that time was wasted. So in some games there are very high requirements for joining some guilds. You have some that are casual and open and end up with lots of members but also very high turnover. And you have small elite guilds who are the opposite.

Also as for technology, it doesn't HAVE to ruin the game. It's never going to be quite like EQ again, but you can make it close. In some games, the competition over raid content is very important, especially when it's not instanced. And the competition amongst guilds is key too. Add in some really difficult fights, and the strategies for those fights take a lot of blood sweat and tears to work out, and they end up being treasured strategies that people don't blurt out on the web.

The opposite would be games like TSW when dungeon runs are put together by the LFG tool, and you are locked out of that dungeon for 15 hours if you fail, so if you know the strategy then you really want to tell it to your whole group of strangers and make sure everyone understands it. It's just two different designs and they work in totally different ways. The design of a game can change things drastically. The problem with mainstream games is that you don't see these different designs, they all use the same mainstream design.

Back then you had to limit your guild size because if you had to many people gathered together for a raid the game would actually stop working right.
It's still like that today in some games, when raids are limited to 24 people, a raid guild generally doesn't want too many more people there will always be some people left out in the cold.

Also, player knowledge sharing is vastly superior than it was back then. It wasn't possible to document and disseminate the entirety of a games content in a few days and actively run 5+ webpages while triple boxing and having some third party programs automating some of your actions for you.
Yeah its better, but it only happens more in games where getting good traffic to your website is more valuable to you than getting good loot in your game. Again, the design of the game can change that. In very competitive games, if you find a rare mob somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, and he drops a really powerful item that you can use and then sell more of them for good cash, then the last thing you would want to do is tell anyone about it. I have played games where this happens and people in my guild tell me 'secrets' and make me promise not to tell anyone else, and I never did.

Again, it just depends on the game. When knowledge is power, people tend to keep their knowledge guarded. When nothing matters like in modern games, then nobody cares.

There is no mystery in games these days because gamers as a whole have become better. Our knowledge is better.
I think some of it will have to be down to the players too. If someone approaches a new game with 50% of their time spent playing it, and 50% of their time spent googling for info, then it's their own fault if the mystery is ruined - whether the info actually exists or not.

With games like TSW, there is even a browser built in to the game because it's required for some missions. But it also means you can google anything you want at any time. But I didn't, because I know that tweaking my build and doing missions 'blind', is more fun than just copying someone elses homework. And when I've paid for this content, then I sure as hell am going to try to get as much fun from it as possible and not spoil it myself.

Also, better knowledge of scripting / bots makes it to where more games today are released with integrated botting / automated character action scripting tools because they realize it's common place now and unstoppable. People in the past didn't rely heavily on these automated programs to help improve their gameplay. Automated programs can add new and different layers of challenge to a game but it certainly isn't the same "gaming experience" as existed back then (well for the majority of players leave your epeen I was the first haxor!!1! at the door please).
I still think botting is no big deal. It just barely exists in most of the games I play, because there is no need for it. It's a big deal in WoW simply because WoW is so rewarding to a botter. You can go afk and come back a few hours later and your bot farmed up a bunch of really useful items. But play something like TSW and you won't see a single botter. Again, it's because the design of the game is very powerful and can completely change who plays your game and how they play it. Not everything is equal.

EQ1 turned into a shit fest because of all the fixes they tried to stop the change in gamers.
I don't agree. I think EQ1 became shit simply because it ran beyond what its lifespan should have been, and because SOE were not talented enough to deal with that. They mass produced expansions that ever increased the mudflation, because they only cared about the fast cash and didn't pay any attention to how it would affect the game a few years down the line. A decade later it has all caught up to them.

But there are other games run by very strict anal egghead types, and the game goes from strength to strength. It's those types of people you want running your game, not Smedley, blinded by dollar signs.

Reverting back will not make those fundamental problems go away.
EQ Mac begs to differ. I wasn't sure it would work either, but I love playing it. It's like a denial of everything modern and I thought living in denial might not be satisfying, but it works great. It's the original EQ and all that was great about it, but it goes as far as PoP which means that there is a gigantic amount of content. I have been playing it hardcore for the past few weeks and yet I'm still only early level 20's, and I have only visited several old zones. There are a dozen or more zones I have yet to take on, and that's just the old world. I then have all of kunark, all of velious, all of luclin, and all of PoP, and I probably wont even get to see all of that with one character.

It's pretty close to the perfect game, for me at least, and yet it's ancient. If someone could take what makes that so good and update it with a better modern engine and graphics, it would be amazing. Whether there would be a big enough audience for it to survive is the question.

EQMac or any smaller game "works" because it's not new. People aren't flooding the servers to get in and dominate.

A game designed to be niche and not to be massive could work. Anything that has intense interest from tens or hundreds of thousands of players will turn into a shit fest fast.

EQMac with even 50 thousands players would be intolerable. Besides 50 thousand players would be a monumental flop for a triple A game release these days.

I wonder how many active players there are on EQMac, I don't think I've ever seen it bump above 200 logged in.

EQMac or any smaller game "works" because it's not new.
How does the age matter? I think it works because it's a good experience and you can't get it anywhere else (even the real EQ).

People aren't flooding the servers to get in and dominate.
But that doesn't have to mess up a game. Again, Vanguard is my best example. It might be dead now but at release it had almost half a million players and everywhere was busy. But the world was huge, and the players were split amongst many multiple servers, so the number of players was not a problem and nobody could dominate anything.

A game designed to be niche and not to be massive could work.
yep

Anything that has intense interest from tens or hundreds of thousands of players will turn into a shit fest fast.
Not if it was designed right.

EQMac with even 50 thousands players would be intolerable.
Why? They wouldn't all be on one server. EQ servers at their peak were split to have only about 2500 or so on each server. And we coped even when the game was new and small. Add in all of kunark, luclin velious and pop... and it really spreads people out.

Besides 50 thousand players would be a monumental flop for a triple A game release these days.
500,000 could work though. Especially if they are loyal and long term players unlike the busy one month, dead the next routine modern games go through.

I wonder how many active players there are on EQMac, I don't think I've ever seen it bump above 200 logged in.
Something like that. P99 did far better even though it's less of a game. So did Shards of Dalaya even though nobody has heard of it. It's all just about advertising and word of mouth. EQ Mac's size is only small because there's no advertising and very little word of mouth, and because it was Mac only. Even now the PC version is quite buggy.

What works on a small scale doesn't necessarily work on a larger scale. This isn't about 200 players or even five thousand players. This would be about a game being made that can accommodate large amounts of players without turning into a shit fest.

Bring up as many small scale gaming projects as you want, it won't be the next big thing in games.

The next small thing is where I'm at in online games atm. I don't want to play with millions of other people online. I'm perfectly fine playing with a few hundred or a few thousand provided the game isn't the same shit fest on a smaller scale "low budget" game world.

So what now? is the question in the thread. It certainly isn't trying to make a massive old school mmo. Massive has an extremely unlikely chance of success right now so I don't think that's the right direction.

I support the idea of a small scale old school style mmo's. Being small is the reason many of these old school mmo's still exist today when the newer more expensive ones fail like crazy. The old mmo's can pay their bills because they didn't invest a shit load of money.

Newer mmo's overestimate their appeal, then crash and burn and go to FTP models to try and milk the "whales" in the hopes of surviving.

Make me a smaller scale mmo that doesn't necessarily need to have a 250 million dollar graphic designs budget and one size fits all mentality behind it and I'd play it. Smaller budget and smaller audience means less chance of the game being turned into a competition between you having fun in a game world as a hobby and somebody trying to earn a living through that same game world with every intent of blocking you out of content so they can charge you for it (similar to how FTP models have started to emerge).

I have a feeling the market might head the smaller game direction soon also because, in all honesty when was the last time a MMO was wildly successful or even had a mildly successful return on investment? Too much interest in an online game turns the game world into a massive shit fest of the "get rich" tards who aren't there for the game experience.

After a while you'd think investors would start to become cautious about sinking more money into type of game development.

What works on a small scale doesn't necessarily work on a larger scale.
Doesn't necessarily not work either.

This isn't about 200 players or even five thousand players. This would be about a game being made that can accommodate large amounts of players without turning into a shit fest.
But what would turn it in to a shit fest? I'm still not even sure what you mean by shit fest. Is WoW a shit fest? What about GW2, Rift, and TSW?

Bring up as many small scale gaming projects as you want, it won't be the next big thing in games.
I don't care about the next big things though. GW2 was the next big thing and Rift before that. I tried them and was bored within a month. There will always be big popular shit like Lady Gaga and Mcdonalds and WoW, but I don't have to like it. I would just like something in between that and total obscurity.

The next small thing is where I'm at in online games atm. I don't want to play with millions of other people online. I'm perfectly fine playing with a few hundred or a few thousand
I don't get this hang up on scale. What makes one server with 3000 people fine, but 100 servers with 3000 no good?

So what now? is the question in the thread. It certainly isn't trying to make a massive old school mmo.
Why not? Nobody else has ever tried. EQ was the original old school MMO, and we have never had a true sequel or even a game that tries to be like EQ. The whole genre got hijacked by WoW.

Newer mmo's overestimate their appeal, then crash and burn and go to FTP models to try and milk the "whales" in the hopes of surviving.

Make me a smaller scale mmo that doesn't necessarily need to have a 250 million dollar graphic designs and one size fits all mentality behind it and I'd play it. Smaller budget and smaller audience means less chance of the game being turned into a competition between you having fun in a game world as a hobby and somebody trying to earn a living through that same game world with every intent of blocking you out of content so they can charge you for it (similar to how FTP models have started to emerge).

I have a feeling the market might head the smaller game direction soon also because, in all honesty when was the last time a MMO was wildly successful or even had a mildly successful return on investment? Too much interest in an online game turns the game world into a massive shit fest of the "get rich" tards who aren't there for the game experience.

After a while you'd think investors would start to become cautious about sinking more money into type of game development.
But many of these newer MMO's are actually financially successful even although they look otherwise. All their players might bail in the first few months, but if a million people buy the box and then pay for a couple of months, then that's a success in financial terms. The few who remain and keep paying and then the thousands who go through the F2P mill are just a bonus.

There is no way the people who designed SWTOR expected anything else. The same goes for TSW. The games are clearly designed to be fun for a few months. The only issue is that they need to catch on with a million or more people to make it worthwhile, some do, some don't.

Smaller games will come through eventually, especially with Kickstarter. We already have some in development like Gorgon and Star Citizen and some other stuff. EQ was a big success with half a million people. A new game could be too as long as they don't go mad on the budget. And that doesn't mean it needs to be ugly and clunky, it just means they need to stay away from CryEngine3 and Hollywood voice actors and all the other shit modern flash in the pan games do.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I would like to critique your MMO design too, but I can't motivate myself to read it on account of you being a dumb shit who regularly makes clueless comments about games.
Once again, stop trying to be a martyr by taking shots at Draegan every chance you get. You are sad and pathetic. He isn't going to ban you so stop shitting up threads with your stupidity. Are negs really fucking worth making yoursef look like an ass?

Once again, stop trying to be a martyr by taking shots at Draegan every chance you get. You are sad and pathetic. He isn't going to ban you so stop shitting up threads with your stupidity. Are negs really fucking worth making yoursef look like an ass?
Haha you must be mad to step out from the shadows of your lame negs and retard rickshaw. It's cute you stick up for your boyfriend though. And I don't care if he bans me or not, I take shots at him because he takes shots at other people, and he is a dumbass for making a forum moderated by a bunch of dicks. And he criticizes other peoples posts and yet writes a gigantic design document and expects people to take it seriously even though he said, "User generated content is a horrible idea, in every way." I hope Neverwinter is a success just so I can rub that in his face.

I explained my opinion about why scale mattered when setting up an old school style mmo in my post, you must have missed it. It might not be entirely right (I don't consider myself infallible like you do), but it's certainly more thought out than "it worked in the past, it has to work now!"

I've come to the realization that there is no point in responding further to Qwerty. I bring up reasons why a large scale old school style mmo would not work in this day and age and all he is capable of responding with is generic fan boy "sure it would work!!1!"

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Haha you must be mad to step out from the shadows of your lame negs and retard rickshaw. It's cute you stick up for your boyfriend though. And I don't care if he bans me or not, I take shots at him because he takes shots at other people, and he is a dumbass for making a forum moderated by a bunch of dicks. And he criticizes other peoples posts and yet writes a gigantic design document and expects people to take it seriously even though he said, "User generated content is a horrible idea, in every way." I hope Neverwinter is a success just so I can rub that in his face.
If you hate it so much stop posting. Thanks for showing me that some "neg" from some random dude on the internet burnt your ass that much. How about you do what you did on FOH. Try to give me a neg but forget to check the I Dissaprove box and actually give me a plus.

Lac_sl

shitlord
There is a large base of early EQ that is hinted at, but not quite pinpointed.

Take the game out of EQ for a second. Remove all of the monsters. Remove EXP. Remove death and quests.

Back in 1999, it would have still been awesome. AOL chat rooms got you down? Go get drunk in Everquest. Want to push people around? Be an Ogre and step on them. In the era we remember so fondly, social media outlets were hard to come by. Meridian 59, The Realms Online, and Ultima Online were spent. FPS lacked persistence. Your Warcraft 2 guild on KALI was nomadic. Those MUDS had that creepy guy online at all times and xyzzy didn't work. EQ was the solution. EQ was your alter-ego's Facebook Profile of 1999.

There weren't any goals when you logged in. That all came later. A lot of us didn't even understand the game, we played virtual reality. Goofing off in town or trying to make a run for it was fun. If years later you thought Project M was awesome, you probably came from this crowd.

So, why do we care now? Because that crowd is more entertaining than the rest of the game. They're the type to write random stories like 'You say, 'Hail Denny's cashier'' that bring some life into that boring internet search. They are the ones who made early EQ funny. And if it is possible for an MMO to capture *this* crowd, it will be played for years to come. This is the crowd that gets the ball rolling.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I have no idea how good EQ really was as a game.

In 1999, it was my first real online experience outside of AOL chatrooms. An alternate, virtual reality was like crack to a 9th grader. Up to that point my life was riding bikes and playing Mario Kart and Goldeneye with my friends.

Nothing could compare, and nothing Verant/Sony could do to fuck it up would have made me not spend hours in EQ back then.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I explained my opinion about why scale mattered when setting up an old school style mmo in my post, you must have missed it. It might not be entirely right (I don't consider myself infallible like you do), but it's certainly more thought out than "it worked in the past, it has to work now!"

I've come to the realization that there is no point in responding further to Qwerty. I bring up reasons why a large scale old school style mmo would not work in this day and age and all he is capable of responding with is generic fan boy "sure it would work!!1!"
A lesson I should have learned back on the FoHboards. He really has no idea what he is talking about while simultaneously trying to supplant reason with volume. Dude shits up any thread he is in, much like popsickle. Tinfoil hat theory tells me he's a troll account with intentionally dumb reasoning.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A lesson I should have learned back on the FoHboards. He really has no idea what he is talking about while simultaneously trying to supplant reason with volume. Dude shits up any thread he is in, much like popsickle. Tinfoil hat theory tells me he's a troll account with intentionally dumb reasoning.
Pretty much spot on. He started his posting with shitting on GW2 and trying to promote TSW at the same time on the FOH boards. Another dude looking for attention.

Pretty much spot on. He started his posting with shitting on GW2 and trying to promote TSW at the same time on the FOH boards. Another dude looking for attention.
And all you butthurt fanboys said NO WAI GW2 IS TEH NEXT JEEZUS DOOD! And a month later they were snooping around that TSW thread.

Concept:
A game built on the concept that the best and most cost effective content is often provided by players and the community that is created around it.
And yet Neverwinter's idea is horrible?

DraeganMMO will be a PVP focused game where players will choose among multiple factions and compete in an open environment for gear and killpoints.
Like GW2? Zzz

Gear and killpoints will be directly correlated into two different scores. These scores will be listed on leaderboards and constantly updated to provide the player with motivation to achieve a better level of play.
Leaderboards themselves are not that big of a motivator, especially if the top players get no recognition or bonuses. Leaderboards by themselves were big in the 1990's with games like Quake. It's nice to be top fragger but it wont keep you playing month after month, never mind year after year.

In order to promote community, game servers will be artificially capped at low population levels
That sucks for community because people get split up. If a guild wants to play together they will have to go through the servers until they can find one with a low enough population for everyone to get in together. And then a month or so later, if someone's friend wants to join them, that friend is left alone or the entire guild needs to move.

Imagine it's 2004/2005 again and you're playing in Alterac Valley again with two to three times more people in a map that is twenty to thirty times the size that is persistent and never ends.
How the hell would that be fun? Alterac Valley got boring after a dozen times and then it just became a chore you endured for the honor points. When you stopped caring about the honor points, you had zero motivation to even play anymore.

All you are really talking about is e-sports, competition PVP, and that shit has been done to death not just in MMO's but in games like Unreal Tournament and Tribes too. It's also basically the entire concept of Planetside 2, in other words, your game already exists, SOE made it and released it earlier this year.

Game Theory: Leaderboards
In almost all MMORPGs from Everquest to WOW to Rift, players strive to gain the best gear in the game as most a status of power and notoriety. They enjoy showing it off and bragging about their conquests. The game quickly becomes about what is the best gear in the game and how do I get it. Once that goal is achieved, player time and commitment to logging in and participating in the community often wanes until the next content update is in place. This has almost always been the case with World of Warcraft where players often have to wait six months to a year for ways to compete again.
And yet EQ did all that better years earlier. At level 2 I was drooling over people who dual wielded Minotaur Axes. Months later I was drooling over the PGT, and then a year later it was the Ykesha and raid gear. So yes they eventually needed to add more content but if you can enjoy an entire year of gameplay before that needs to happen, then that's great.

WoW fails at that because it's a dumb game for dumb kids where everything is handed on a plate and it's all instantly accessible with pointers showing exactly where to go and what to do, etc. You don't need to work for anything and nothing is hard to achieve, so even the same amount of content can be earned in a few months tops.

DraeganMMO wants to take gear acquisition away as the primary focus of the game and install Leaderboards as the primary focus of fame and glory.
Dude get Hawken bro dude.

Leaderboards are dynamically updated in real time so that the newest piece of gear or the aftermath of the latest PVP battle or skirmish is reflected in the score.
Zomg real time? This 1980 technology astounds me.

Game Theory: Risk vs. Reward and PVP Gameplay
Since the main thrust of DraeganMMO will be leaderboards, points and competition, we want players to feel equally rewarded when winning and equally punished when they lose. We want to attempt to dissuade players from playing carelessly
How? Points are only rewarding if you're 13, and this facebook generation gamer tards are already inundated with "Achievements". Your idea is old fashioned.

and we would like to avoid making PVP gameplay a grind for points. Because of this, there has to be real reward and real loss in any conflict. Because of this PVP will have full loot rules.
Boom, there goes 97% of your audience. Say hello to the 25 darkfall poopsocking corpse camping no life no brain p99 red retards.

Lets create a scenario where you have a 5 vs. 5 encounter and once one side is victorious they have killed three other players. The group of 5 will have looted every corpse and move away to a safe area. Assuming the players that were defeated were fully geared, veteran players, the group will now have the enjoyment of divvying up the spoils for upgrades to their own characters or storing gear as backups in storage. We want to create an environment of when you kill a player it's like looting a raid boss and it's time to see what new loot you can get.
Only the raid boss is not a none thinking AI, it's not a player who rage quits so bad he logs on IRC and convinces Anonymous to hack you.

This should create proper motivation for going out and hunting other players as well as the additional points gained for the WarHero leaderboard.
Yeah nothing motivates a player to go out hunting more than the thought of losing all their gear.

Losers on the other hand will have lost all their gear and money they had on them and hopefully motivating to play better next time.
Lol

Risk of loss should also heighten the excitement of playing the game. This loss is also a tricky subject as players often may quit or become frustrated with the game due to the loss of gear. However, in DraeganMMO we are making Gear Acquisition much different than your standard random drop/dungeon boss grind that you come across in every other MMORPG.

Upon death, either in PVE or PVP, you will lose experience as well.
/facepalm

Game Design: Gear Acquisition
In the majority of MMORPGs on the market today, you'll note that gear is gained by randomly dropped from NPCs in the form of random "green" or "blue" items or it is acquired via defeating bosses in a dungeon. In many games, defeating bosses gain you points or tokens that go to purchasing gear from a vendor. These points or tokens are often limited to a certain number per "dungeon reset". This makes gear and gear sets something that is often worked towards over the course of months. In DraeganMMO this will not be the case, because of Full Loot rules, gear must be more easily accessible and farmable so that players can quickly or easily farm a respectable kit so they can get back into the action faster
Therefore nullifying most of the sense of achievement for the group who kills some people and loot a bunch of newbie shit that could be earned with ease anyway.

We want to attempt to make gear a strong focus of the game, but teach players to treat it as transient for the most part.
We? Let me guess, was Abe sat on your lap when you typed this?

There will be no random gear in the game, you won't see "of the Monkey" or "of the Eagle" on anything. There will also be no rarity markings so gear won't be blue, green and purple. It will be just gear.

Every NPC will be loaded with a loot table.
There goes your cheap game design.

Depending on development costs and game design, the gear an NPC is loaded with should be shown on their model. So if an NPC spawns with that super rare weapon, you should be able to visually see it.
Wow dude this Everquest 1 technology is blowing my mind.

Gear has no level restrictions, stat restrictions, or is bound to anyone.
""

Game Theory: World Design, Server Size, Factions and Community Creation
Most games today focus on creating expansive worlds with thousands of players and often advertise that fact. DraeganMMO wants to take the opposite approach and create a smaller world with hundreds of players. We want to create an environment where you are forced to interact with other players.
Dude get Tribes Ascend bro.

For a real world analogy, think small town vs. large city. The more personal things are, the more likely you are to play more and stick around.
So... exactly the same as FPS's in the 90's where you saw the same people regularly on your favorite servers.

Faction switching may be available as a pay-for service.
Heheheheh

There is zero instanced content in DraeganMMO.
Or none instanced content.

World Design will be based of each faction having a "Home Base" that is heavily guarded and nearly safe.
Dude get gw2 bro.

Outside of each Faction Keep will be a central area to the world that will have a large array of low, middle and high end NPCs for players to kill for experience and gear.
Shadowbane says hi 2 u

Leaderboards will be available for everyone to see via web or mobile apps. You can get up-to-the-minute updates of how things are changing.
No wai. So while I'm out partying with hot chicks I can say just hold on one sec... I need to see who captured my mother fucking village!

You will also be able to track a player's ranking (everyone loves graphs) over time as well.
Omg this 1820's technology is blowing my mind. It will be fun to see a line chart of who is the biggest loser, I mean player.

Mobile apps will also allow players to communicate with players online at any time using in game channels and tells and vice versa if enabled.
Facebook gonna assassinate you bro.

DraeganMMO is a classless system where players decide which skill and spells their character can use. Skills and spells are placed in a tree of prerequisites that players have to navigate to gain access to. If you can envision the technology tree of any 4X game (see: Civilization, Masters of Orion, GalCiv etc.), players will be able to start off with very basic skills and spells that lead to more adept and important abilities. The amount of skills or spells are person can learn will be determined by race selection.
:S

End Game Play does not exist in DraeganMMO. It is an endless cycle of leveling that slowly creates player power that is steeply curbed at the top end as to not create a gap.
Lol

I'm tired of trolling you now. But I'm sure the rest is really good.

I wondered when you would crack. I have been looking forward to telling you that everything you say is 100% stupid.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I am curious... what is the market's thoughts for what should be in a mmo? (Super/qwerty are ignored, so not looking at their nonsense!) My basic list would be:

Fleshed out leveling game that makes 1-max "fun" while still carrying some gravity to decisions.

Endgame that makes sense based upon the leveling game and is not a 170 degree turn in what people do. Standard play should basically equal raid play but just require larger numbers.

Customizeable armor/weapon situations. You gotta be able to skin your shit much like buying a visual pack from SoE as a default. Being able to define diversity within a realm is pretty important. Whether it be through using level 1 rusty weapon skins vs. using max level raid skins, you have your options. The visual aspect is worth sooo much more than the statistical aspect.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Looks like qwerty's mom didn't bring dinner down to the basement again.

Is this guyreallyin his 40's?