Well, now what?

Dumar_sl

shitlord
what we're, i'm, describing has nothing to do with nostalgia. that's an excuse made to cover up what i mentioned previous: the whoring out and marketing to every audience demographic, rather than a specific one. ultima online and everquest were made without marketing or usage data, without even a real audience outside of gamers to begin with. and that's why they were so good.

it's fine to try and grow your customer base, but you don't grow by trying toappeal to everyone. you don't make everything in your game 'accessible' to everyone. your design is then all over the place. look at wow as it is today. it has no sense of itself. the world, the massively part of the mmo acronym, doesn't exist. the reason i got banned from foh was because i called the black hand on his bullshit of a 'world' in world of warcraft - there isn't one. you sit in town and queue up for randoms and raids. the only time to ever venture forth is for dailies, which is just another single-player experience. you don't interact with ANYBODY on your server outside of your guild except for retired content like achievement runs.

a great mmo game designer is a world designer. he must design a system with interacting parts, a world, that allows players the freedom to bend but don't break the rules that govern that system in different massive social interactions. the single most important thing is to make those rules as coherent and consistent as possible, with limiting outside influence as much as possible. by outside influence i mean shit like badges or tokens or LFR queues. a world doesn't 'reward' you with badges or tokens - it rewards you with what you can manage to scrounge up inside of it. there are no 'points' in a living, breathing, world, only what you can do within it. all of these 'features' completely destroy any immersion because they are abstractions that destroy the experience of being someone inside a world.

a lot of what made uo and eq great were mistakes by the designers, and that's perfectly okay. it doesn't matter how we get there, as long as we get there. we need to return to designers making mistakes apparently, because the sum of those mistakes is better design than the whole formulaic design of everything in wow.

they need a more rubber-band type design philosophy with a focus on world design as the prime driver that underlies everything else. it doesn't make immersive sense that i can pop up a window and join a queue for a raid. it doesn't make immersive sense that i acquire points to spend on items after i killed a copy of a dragon in a dungeon that i was instantly teleported to when i was at the front of that same queue. all of this provides easy access to the tiny timmys and sally soccer moms, but it kills the immersive world experience. and people treating that as secondary should not, as this is the only medium that allows that type of experience. if timmy or sally only has a few hours in the evening, they can login to facebook or play pokemon.

if you try to target all audiences with your mmo design, your design is a failure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Bioware did a shit ton of design based on metrics. Look at where it got them. Blizzard started making shitty WOW choices when they start designing by numbers instead of making games that are fun. They always used like asking themselves "Is this fun?" and I'm not sure if they are asking those questions anymore.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
lol "Is this fun" sounds retarded. Shouldn't they be MAKING the fun, instead of ASKING for fun?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Really, you can break any game down to that and say it's shit - you are not getting the point. It's like saying Monopoly is a bad board game because all you do is go round and round the same board all the time, how repetitive. It's the interaction with other people that makes the repetitive process somewhat different each time, and that's the point.

Killing a mob in WoW is exactly the same as the next because there are no outside interactions that can change that experience. If you can kill 1, you can kill 1000 no matter who goes past you or what they do, so you may as well be playing a single player game which is exactly what 90% of WoW has devolved into - a single player experience based on a server.

If there was a way of making the client un-hackable, you could play most of WoW offline and just connect for raids and heroics, that's how bad their massively multi player world has got.
It's the interaction right? Cause your a people person right!?

rrr_img_4233.jpg

Face it man, the social aspect of EQ is never going to get recreated in exactly the same way it was before and the one surefire way to NOT get it back is to try to force it by making the same game again. Social interaction is going to have to be created without punishing mechanics plain and simple. To break it down into maths punishing mechanics = low population = low social interaction.

EQ did require you to make friends, but you can't argue that EQ left people who didn't have a lot of time to invest way behind. The only reason it didn't necessarily leave late comers behind is because it was really the only MMO option so it had a steady stream of people joining long after release - a luxury which not many MMOs are going to get to experience again. There also needs to be some semblance of balance between what you can do on your own to improve your character vs. what you have to do with others. Shit tons of people dual (or more) boxed in EQ for exactly this issue. They got tired of always being at the mercy of finding a group if they needed to get something done. It's fine if you need something from a popular area, but sucked if you needed shit that no one wanted to do anymore.

rrr_img_4233.jpg

Fingz_sl

shitlord
What I don't see is why there can't be one company that appeals to the masses? Like say there's one McDonald's that feeds the masses and then a Chipotles which feeds a niche. Seems like the natural way to me. Does McDonalds have a big effect on Olive Garden?

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
advice: Stop playing video games, They are for children. Go outside, meet people, read books. learn a skill, practice an art.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It doesn't mean anything because "punishing mechanics" is undefined. What would you consider a punishing mechanic to be? And then if you did define it, explain the game world in which you've removed all these punishing mechanics. My bet is that it ends up sounding like a socially sterile environment that plays almost nothing like an actual game.

I'll just save you the trouble for the first definition -- a punishing mechanic is an involuntary action. Have fun.

• 1Like

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
What I don't see is why there can't be one company that appeals to the masses? Like say there's one McDonald's that feeds the masses and then a Chipotles which feeds a niche. Seems like the natural way to me. Does McDonalds have a big effect on Olive Garden?
Except your fast food analogy is wrong. WoW is serving up McDonald's offerings at bistro prices. There are fewer and fewer games sticking to the subscription model, WoW being one of the hold outs. There is no premium niche market right now, and probably wont be. A premium game would have to offer some incredible mind-blowing experience to try and charge more per month than WoW is currently.

So instead most new games are trying to sneak in under that threshold with F2P, which in your gourmet analogy would be equivalent to the soup line. HOWEVER if you do chores out back or slip us some cash we will upgrade your pea soup and dinner roll to a grilled sirloin with fried mushrooms. That is a pretty degrading way for the medium to head in, but that's where the new development seems to be. Ok enough with this shitty food metaphor.

Anyways, if the flaws with WoW are not discussed, then it will continue to be seen only as the hugely financially successful game that it is. And if that is the only metric that anyone tracks then we will continue to see more diarrhea inducing, greasy piles of over processed shit get served up as the next big thing. I said I was done with this food analogy... wtf.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
The wow model of reward completely ruined me. I totally buy into the aesthetics of a game, so while other games might be fun for a short bit, I'll never be the death-god with smoking shoulderplates made from dragon skulls riding a frost wyrm in them.

So here I am helping these faggy pandas farm turnips or some shit. uhg

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
It doesn't mean anything because "punishing mechanics" is undefined. What would you consider a punishing mechanic to be? And then if you did define it, explain the game world in which you've removed all these punishing mechanics. My bet is that it ends up sounding like a socially sterile environment that plays almost nothing like an actual game.

I'll just save you the trouble for the first definition -- a punishing mechanic is an involuntary action. Have fun.
I believe the generally accepted definition of "punishing mechanics" are things that detract from the gameplay by requiring you to spend shit tons of time on them to actually play the game.

I'm not going to define it further than that because I'm not in this to be some armchair game designer. In all honesty I think the biggest problem is that people still think in specifics when it comes to MMO's. They start with EQ or WoW as a model add a few things they think are cool pull a few things they think suck and then release EverWoW - Kingdoms of Evenmore Dilluted Shit.

The point is to make the content challenging and not the preparation to do the content the challenge. And when I say preparation I don't mean making flasks and shit, I mean getting a balanced group together, arriving at the destination, not having someone drop because the hour they had to play ran up just running to the dungeon.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The point is to make the content challenging and not the preparation to do the content the challenge. And when I say preparation I don't mean making flasks and shit, I mean getting a balanced group together, arriving at the destination, not having someone drop because the hour they had to play ran up just running to the dungeon.
You've never been a raid leader, huh?

xzi

Mouthbreather
All I ask for is something that I'm not going to compare to WoW in the first 5 minutes. Vanilla or any expacs. Something new.

Beastro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's the way games have gone.

I loved WoW PvP at release. We, the TRUE FoH (Flowers of Happiness), occupied Astranaar on the last open beta day and had a hoot dominating it and then getting driven out of the zone. Doing that at release and the constant war in Hillsbrad were so much fun, even to me coming from Rallos and wishing for item loot/corpse to make a return to a game. I also hated the lack of smacktalk, but was still content.

All this initial months, open world PvP was enjoyable, even if it was meaningless, simply because you could raid and contest opposing faction zones on your own, you made up the war yourself and never had it forced on you... then the first battleground came out and open world PvP dried up, everyone sat waiting to get into Alterac Valley and turned PvP into something artificial where they rewarded you for PvP and not have you find a reason to make PvP meaningful yourself like in EQ. Once that happened I quickly realized what they were doing, they weren't encouraging PvP, they were just turning it into a kind of PvE.

Zero way to interact with the other other side (unless you bought another account to 2 box with an Alliance character to chat like Blart did) in a meaningful way, PvP funneled into zones designed like FPS maps and rewards given to you for playing them the way they wanted you to play them, it was all PvE, just dehumanizing the enemy enough to turn them into an advanced "AI".

It was then that I became jaded by MMOs because I kept being slapped with WoW clone PvP and would only find them enjoyable for the new, refreshing feel that comes with playing a new game. Eve is far too poopsocky, spread sheety and Darkfall just seemed to lack something about it's PvP that made EQs so fulfilling no matter how terrible it was.

The only time I've really enjoyed PvP outside of EQ Emus was Nagafen's massively unbalanced on EQ2 when I was lucky enough to pick a Fury, got that nuke they could pick as an ability around lv 20 that brought peoples health to 20% that let me finish them off quickly and refreshed in 5 minutes, but that only lasted for a couple of months in 2005.

• 1Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
This doesn't mean anything and is in fact impossible.
It's dependant upon how the game sources and portals the social interaction. It doesn't have to be all in the game. The problem now comes from social media as an outlet and anonomity still required. Companies are going about it all wrong by trying to integrate with Facebook and Twitter and other "real life" media sites.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
All this initial months, open world PvP was enjoyable, even if it was meaningless, simply because you could raid and contest opposing faction zones on your own, you made up the war yourself and never had it forced on you... then the first battleground came out and open world PvP dried up, everyone sat waiting to get into Alterac Valley and turned PvP into something artificial where they rewarded you for PvP and not have you find a reason to make PvP meaningful yourself like in EQ. Once that happened I quickly realized what they were doing, they weren't encouraging PvP, they were just turning it into a kind of PvE.
The main thing marketing people know how to do is turn anything imaginable into a commodity to be sold. This free experience you self created was artificially 'commoditized' turning the experience into a corporate style interaction, A Pavlovian action/reward scenario that turns your actions into a predictable pattern. this probably broke a large part of the sense of immersion. So the way I see it the corporate way of thinking infected the idealism of the first generation of mmos.

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's the interaction right? Cause your a people person right!?

rrr_img_4233.jpg

Face it man, the social aspect of EQ is never going to get recreated in exactly the same way it was before and the one surefire way to NOT get it back is to try to force it by making the same game again. Social interaction is going to have to be created without punishing mechanics plain and simple. To break it down into maths punishing mechanics = low population = low social interaction.

EQ did require you to make friends, but you can't argue that EQ left people who didn't have a lot of time to invest way behind. The only reason it didn't necessarily leave late comers behind is because it was really the only MMO option so it had a steady stream of people joining long after release - a luxury which not many MMOs are going to get to experience again. There also needs to be some semblance of balance between what you can do on your own to improve your character vs. what you have to do with others. Shit tons of people dual (or more) boxed in EQ for exactly this issue. They got tired of always being at the mercy of finding a group if they needed to get something done. It's fine if you need something from a popular area, but sucked if you needed shit that no one wanted to do anymore.
Maybe you should spend less time looking for smartass pictures to put in your posts and more time making some fucking sense. You ramble on about shit to do with EQ - I never even mentioned fucking EQ AT ALL. What I stated is that Warcraft in its current iteration lacks even a basic form of interaction and zero social aspect outside of your own guild.

Pull that EQ cock out of your ass that is bothering you so much and read before answering next time.

rrr_img_4233.jpg