What amount would you need to be "done" with a regular job

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
$0 as I'll have to make due with what I can get through plundering the possessions of the other survivors.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
$5 million free and clear, meaning no debts, no mortgages, etc.

Place the $5 mil in a 4% interest bearing account will yield $200,000 per year to spend. After taxes that will be more like $100,000, or about $8,000 a month.

That doesn't include any other additional sources of possible income, like income properties, pensions, annuities, etc.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We're looking at pulling the plug in 3-4 years with $800k in investments (401k, IRA, taxable). On top of that we'll have $30k in "cash" (CD's, savings accounts), and anywhere between $50-80k from our house equity since we'll move as soon as we quit.

Going for a 5% SWR, which is slightly aggressive, but we're also retiring around 40 and if we have a bad sequence of returns in the first decade we can always make some income.

ACA coverage is the only wildcard. We really have no idea what healthcare will look like in the next 5-10 years. If premiums stop going up 100% every year and something similar to ACA is still in place, we should be okay. If something crazy happens and we can't get healthcare, early retirement may be off the table altogether. In that case, we'll probably cut down to the minimum amount of work to maintain health insurance.

Also, on that note, we're hoping to go down to 3 days by the end of 2019 (Tues/Wed/Thurs). Not sure if it'll happen. If it does, that's 1 more full time year of work, and 3 part time (finishing sometime before 2022). If we get denied, we just work 3 more years full time and we're out.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Half a million and I wouldn't need a real job. Buy a house/property for 150-200k, rent out a room or two and spend the rest of my time bike touring. Work the winters and enjoy the summers.

I actually got pretty close to this a few years back when I had a serious GF that we were gonna build a house on some property we were gonna buy off her aunt.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Hmmm just need my investments to keep doin what they're doing and I'm set. Probably around 30 million with my current lifestyle, almost there anyways.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am just not interested in retiring early. I will need something to keep me busy during the week and some kind of job is always going to be there.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
For those of you thinking of retirement, and especially early retirement, what do you imagine doing afterward?

I honestly enjoy running a business so I would do that still. Something fun and interesting, take chances because it doesnt have to succeed right away.
Travel around and live in different places for a few months at a time then move on. Once I find a place I really like maybe buy a house there and rent it when I'm away.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
For those of you thinking of retirement, and especially early retirement, what do you imagine doing afterward?

Also a good question. I'm going to keep doing what I love doing until I have something better to do.

Edit: I would like to spend a lot more time doing wood working. I think I could do that as a side job and sell the things I make.

Last edited:

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I am just not interested in retiring early. I will need something to keep me busy during the week and some kind of job is always going to be there.

We could run an EQ emulator server and make bank on RMT transactions!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Get that veteran owned IT consulting company going and employ us cleared professionals from the board.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
At my current burn rate, in NYC, at least $10mm. If I had to move back to where my family is from, I could probably never work another day in my life at my current ~800k of investments/401k/IRA.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I will never achieve this status, so I really have no idea, but how much would you have to pay per month towards the end of your life just in medical insurance? .

If I were to quit working, I'd have to pay 145€ a month medical insurance until I die. That's quite a lot of money without an income, so that's around 80k in cash in whatever sum I would have to subtract right away for this fancy idea.

The most important thing however is not having to pay for a roof over your head anymore, so that's at least half a million with enough backup money for repairs and stuff that will come up in the next 50 years.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Some of you sounds high maintenance. With no debt and a paid off house, I could live on 2k a month without issue.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I would need about tree fiddy per month. That's 3.5k for you uncivilized ones out there.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Something to consider when you're thinking about retirement...

A Massive New Study of 5,000 Men Says This 1 Very Surprising Thing Predicts Happiness

The number-one thing that matters most in men's lives, far more than whether they're healthy, or have good relationships with family or friends, is whether they find satisfaction at work.
As the official summary put it:

Men at work are men at peace: Everything else flows down from satisfying employment. Men who have high job satisfaction are more likely to feel optimistic, happy, motivated, emotionally stable, in control, and confident.​
Job satisfaction is by far the strongest predictor of positivity, being around three times higher than the next strongest predictor in every region and across the U.S. overall.​

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I was having this conversation with the wife the other day, and I said something similar. I may like the idea of early retirement more than I would like the reality. However, if for some reason money wasn't an issue, I could easily find a part-time job, say 2-3 days per week, doing something I enjoyed, just to pass the time and not become a hermit. Like someone else mentioned earlier, I reckon I could gain that pleasure from a wood shop, and just go and make shit a few mornings per week. Build myself a car, there's a 12 month project at a couple of mornings per week. Hmm, maybe I would like early retirement :)

• 1Like