What are you listening to at the moment?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
That's a good one. If you like that you should try this one. Similarities in melodic threads.

I listen to a lot of Rachmaninav, Shostakovich, Satie, Debussy, and Ravel. I think they are all classified under Romanticism. I enjoy older classical as well.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I listen to a lot of Rachmaninav, Shostakovich, Satie, Debussy, and Ravel. I think they are all classified under Romanticism. I enjoy older classical as well.

Not one of those composers would be considered as Romantic composers. They're beyond Romanticism and are much more modern era. Debussy, for example, look at his Gymnopédies. Sustained and unresolved dissonances. Entirely not Romantic music. Look up the Russian Moguchaya kuchka and the French reactionary equivalent Les Six (because the French always had to have one more than anyone else). The music you are listening to is very Modernistic. It happens to also be my own favourite era.

One of the things Modernist composers struggled with was the fact that Programatic music had fallen out of vogue. Programatic music is music that follows a specific narrative or story. Meaning the composer wrote the music around a text, representing the text. By the time these composers you mentioned were writing, the public was demanding more abstract music (think Stravinsky). But the Programatic music was still in there, and it was powerful.

This piece by Rachmaninov was written around the narrative of someone being very sick with the plague. So sick that the person appeared dead, and was buried. Then woke up in the casket under the ground, and clawed and struggled to get out, which they could not. The person ultimately dies. Programatic music is awesome.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Heard this randomly, it starts out slow but just builds and builds, they really knew how to make good music back in the day.

Which instruments does Al Stewart use in it? ALL of them lol

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The long lost greatest anime ever due to rights issues.

Season 1 of this anime(Darker than Black) is amazing. It's like a cross between X-Files x Matrix. It's a shame Season 2 is terrible. Even Japan can fuck up great stories.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Not one of those composers would be considered as Romantic composers. They're beyond Romanticism and are much more modern era. Debussy, for example, look at his Gymnopédies. Sustained and unresolved dissonances. Entirely not Romantic music. Look up the Russian Moguchaya kuchka and the French reactionary equivalent Les Six (because the French always had to have one more than anyone else). The music you are listening to is very Modernistic. It happens to also be my own favourite era.

One of the things Modernist composers struggled with was the fact that Programatic music had fallen out of vogue. Programatic music is music that follows a specific narrative or story. Meaning the composer wrote the music around a text, representing the text. By the time these composers you mentioned were writing, the public was demanding more abstract music (think Stravinsky). But the Programatic music was still in there, and it was powerful.

This piece by Rachmaninov was written around the narrative of someone being very sick with the plague. So sick that the person appeared dead, and was buried. Then woke up in the casket under the ground, and clawed and struggled to get out, which they could not. The person ultimately dies. Programatic music is awesome.

Obviously I know jack and shit about the history or proper names, I just know they all sound a lot alike, so I enjoy them.

Edit: Quite a lot of them were featured in Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry and classic Disney cartoons back in the day, so that is also a factor.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What is the best music streaming service? Mostly PC/Android/odd Alexa device. I got jimmy rustled at all the price increases and killed everything off a while back. I really didn't like Apple Music after trying it for free. Is it basically Spotify vs Amazon Music at this point?

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
What is the best music streaming service? Mostly PC/Android/odd Alexa device. I got jimmy rustled at all the price increases and killed everything off a while back. I really didn't like Apple Music after trying it for free. Is it basically Spotify vs Amazon Music at this point?

All the services are reasonably good. Your best choice will largely depend on what your priorities are (price, sound quality, song library, best suggestion/preference learning algorithm, tight integration with a specific voice assistant, wanting to avoid Big Tech, etc.)

Library size: Most of the big names have around 100 million tracks now, but Spotify and Apple have a slight edge in terms of raw breadth. Won't be a problem with any of the major players unless you listen to really weird, niche shit or the service signs exclusives with an artist you really like.

Suggestion algorithm: Spotify or Apple. I liked Deezer's, too.

Sound quality: From a raw bitrate standpoint, Qobuz, followed by Amazon, then Tidal and Deezer. Then Apple, which is good on paper, but the only way to get true lossless sound with them is by using a pair of wired phones on a Mac or AirPods Max. Spotify is second-worst (just ahead of Pandora); they still do not have a lossless/HD option.

Voice assistant integration: Obviously Amazon for Alexa and Apple Music for Siri. Spotify's is also considered to be good.

Big Tech avoidance: Qobuz or Deezer; both French companies unaffiliated with the FAANGs.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I mostly listen to Sirius/XM and podcasts. I can play it in my car via Android Auto or Bluetooth, and the kids seem to like the generic modern pop station (Hits 1). And I still listen to Opie & Anthony's old channel, which is now Jim & Sam (Jim Norton & Sam Roberts). As well as Compound Media for the Anthony Cumia Show. But yeah... Sirius/XM's digital package. It's $9.99/month after you do a 3-month trial for $1 total.

Click on streaming devices only up top.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I mostly listen to Sirius/XM and podcasts. I can play it in my car via Android Auto or Bluetooth, and the kids seem to like the generic modern pop station (Hits 1). And I still listen to Opie & Anthony's old channel, which is now Jim & Sam (Jim Norton & Sam Roberts). As well as Compound Media for the Anthony Cumia Show. But yeah... Sirius/XM's digital package. It's $9.99/month after you do a 3-month trial for $1 total.

Click on streaming devices only up top.
Post music feg.

• 1Like