What are you playing?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, Riftbreaker is good fun. I particularly like the weapon visuals; burninating the zerg hordes with the flamethrower feels very satisfying. Surprisingly high production values all around.
I'm impatiently waiting for multiplayer to get into this. Gorgeous game though, yeah.

Friends and i have been hitting Company of Heroes 3 regularly. Game going through the predictable backlash cycle as they released the cosmetic shop, where you can grind for 2 weeks for a skin for a single unit or you can spend less than $1 for the same skin, and the packs of vehicle skins of course are only attainable via real $$. Really wish they'd roll out more command trees to choose from for the factions.

Hellcard is another one my friends and I recently got into, really loving that 3-player co-op. Not unlike Across the Obelisk, who just released their first DLC, have run through that once or twice since as well.

Randomly started Days Gone last week, and picked up Smalland and Beneath Oresa for some more survival / card game shenanigans.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
On vacation and bouncing between 3 things - Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 1, and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. Rondo is hard as HELL but I think I've cleared about 60% of it. Fallout 1 I haven't progressed too much in, trying to chip away at it in small doses but it's so antiquated. Baldur 2 is taking about 80% of my game time and super good, think it's winding down.

Next up: Icewind Dale, Fallout 2

Waiting for: Trinity Trigger, FF Pixel Remasters on console, Front Mission 2 Remaster

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
FF14 some. Slow walking.

I did a really dumb purchase. I got an NES toploader and a second SNES. Have my original SNES and the solder needs to be redone on the RCA connection and a capacitor. I’ve been messing with castlevania 1 on NES and Soul Blazer on SNES.

How stupid? I have a raspberry Pi built and attached to the same CRT. That level of dumb.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FF14 some. Slow walking.

I did a really dumb purchase. I got an NES toploader and a second SNES. Have my original SNES and the solder needs to be redone on the RCA connection and a capacitor. I’ve been messing with castlevania 1 on NES and Soul Blazer on SNES.

How stupid? I have a raspberry Pi built and attached to the same CRT. That level of dumb.
Wouldnt say thats dumb. I have a feeling when Im 60+ years old, I'll be revisiting a lot of the games I have played in the past. As by that point, we'll be lucky to even be able to load games from today's time. Windows 20 or w/e the fuck they want to call it will probably have you buy a yearly subscription for a license that'll let you load, in an unstable environment, old programs.

As far as SNES goes - g/f and I went to this guys place on the lake for a party with one of her friends back in .. 2019? 2018? and he had some kind of external hardware (probably like your Raspberry) that can load every single NES, Genesis, Sega CD, SNES, Dreamcast, etc. "ROM" that it can find. He says he only uses it for Duck Hunt and shit like that, which surprisingly - the NES guns did work. He also had shit like the Genesis "Menacer" gun which REALLY took me back to childhood. The controller "hubs" were these external USB hubs that basically just let you plug in the old controllers. Was really neat - but I cant find what hardware he was running - but I do see similar shit in my search. If I come across it, Ill link it back. But fuck feeling old man - enjoy yourself lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Wouldnt say thats dumb. I have a feeling when Im 60+ years old, I'll be revisiting a lot of the games I have played in the past. As by that point, we'll be lucky to even be able to load games from today's time. Windows 20 or w/e the fuck they want to call it will probably have you buy a yearly subscription for a license that'll let you load, in an unstable environment, old programs.

As far as SNES goes - g/f and I went to this guys place on the lake for a party with one of her friends back in .. 2019? 2018? and he had some kind of external hardware (probably like your Raspberry) that can load every single NES, Genesis, Sega CD, SNES, Dreamcast, etc. "ROM" that it can find. He says he only uses it for Duck Hunt and shit like that, which surprisingly - the NES guns did work. He also had shit like the Genesis "Menacer" gun which REALLY took me back to childhood. The controller "hubs" were these external USB hubs that basically just let you plug in the old controllers. Was really neat - but I cant find what hardware he was running - but I do see similar shit in my search. If I come across it, Ill link it back. But fuck feeling old man - enjoy yourself lol.
I use a usb that connects two SNES controllers. For PS1 games, I use a ps3 or pS4 controller and it’s fine. Surprisingly I don’t have any nes roms on mine.

I think the snes has one poor solder on the pin connector. I plan to work on my original first. I actually wanted to refresh my soldering skills is what spawned this and decided to try to repair some otherwise dead weight consoles. I have a few old factor atari 2600s, a new form factor 2600, and a 7800 I’ll mess with soon.

I overpaid for the top loader but the seller let me disassemble it and test it on all the games I wanted. Ironically only a copy of castlevania didn’t work which I didn’t test. I’m right now cleaning it and the connector was grungy on the cart.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I use a usb that connects two SNES controllers. For PS1 games, I use a ps3 or pS4 controller and it’s fine. Surprisingly I don’t have any nes roms on mine.

I think the snes has one poor solder on the pin connector. I plan to work on my original first. I actually wanted to refresh my soldering skills is what spawned this and decided to try to repair some otherwise dead weight consoles. I have a few old factor atari 2600s, a new form factor 2600, and a 7800 I’ll mess with soon.

I overpaid for the top loader but the seller let me disassemble it and test it on all the games I wanted. Ironically only a copy of castlevania didn’t work which I didn’t test. I’m right now cleaning it and the connector was grungy on the cart.
I somehow found myself on a SegaCD reddit - and thats basically a big thread about people repairing one version or the other of a Sega CD. The most recent one I saw pop up was where some dude bought a broke one, found out it was just a plastic gear - 3D printed the gear and replaced the old one - and it worked perfectly. Point is - Im sure there is something similar for all the consoles.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I'd love to find a way to reliably emulate all of the Armored Core games. The PS1 trilogy are probably doable, but even that's iffy because you really need to carry saves over from one to the next to have a chance in 2 and 3. Everything after that is PS2 and 3 which suck to emulate. And those games don't exactly look hot at this point. I've kinda given up on the idea. I guess what I'm actually wishing for here is some kind of official HD collection.

• 1Like

Caeden

I somehow found myself on a SegaCD reddit - and thats basically a big thread about people repairing one version or the other of a Sega CD. The most recent one I saw pop up was where some dude bought a broke one, found out it was just a plastic gear - 3D printed the gear and replaced the old one - and it worked perfectly. Point is - Im sure there is something similar for all the consoles.
Yep. As long as there isn’t damage to the board or major corrosion on any of the traces, a lot of repairs can be done with a soldering iron. There are some dicey parts though. The connector on the top load nes is hard to find and replace. The snes connector is equally hard to replace. Lot of soldering. And the chip replacements are kinda tough. I might try doing some work on a busted mother board first since I’ve never done a chip. Just caps or resistors or basic wire connections.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Playing Tails of Iron, it was free last month for Playstation monthly games. Little metroidvania type, cool art style, pretty simple but fun combat (they call it Souls-like).

Certainly not the best game but if you added it to your library and aren't sure, its a fun little game.

• 2Like

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Playing Tails of Iron, it was free last month for Playstation monthly games. Little metroidvania type, cool art style, pretty simple but fun combat (they call it Souls-like).

Certainly not the best game but if you added it to your library and aren't sure, its a fun little game.

Yeah I had a surprisingly good time with it as well. Linear, in a good way, and a perfect filler game. It's also an easy game to platinum if you are into trophies.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I had a surprisingly good time with it as well. Linear, in a good way, and a perfect filler game. It's also an easy game to platinum if you are into trophies.

Yup, banged that one out in a couple days awhile back, was a solid game.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Oh, it was free last month huh?

things that could have been brought to my attention yesterday.gif

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I platted ER a month ago finally, but had been focusing on 3d printing a homebrew tabletop game. Now I am replaying Tactics Ogre Reborn on the L path. New games suck so much.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Been playing R&C A Rift Apart since it is free on PS+. Great game and the best graphics I have seen, looks like you are playing an animated movie.

Last edited:

Janx

<Silver Donator>
The Outlast Trials is really fun. Definitely recommend.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff

Indie aRPG. I don't love the pixel graphics. The customization/skill system makes it very fun and different imo.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Currently playing Yakuza/LaD: Ishin. Yakuza's been sitting in that area of "interesting, but not quite enough that I want to buy it" for a while now; turns out, dropping the Yakuza formula into a historical setting is just enough to nudge it into need-to-buy for me. Some of the gameplay is a little dated, but I'm overall enjoying it.

Caeden

Tears of the kingdom.

I’m making a pact with myself that I will not buy another game outside FF16 until I have completed my cultivated backlog. I may never spend money again.

• 2Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Tears of the kingdom.

I’m making a pact with myself that I will not buy another game outside FF16 until I have completed my cultivated backlog. I may never spend money again.

I'm in a similar boat. Going through stuff I have, not buying anything new for a while. Just got a bunch of DS/3DS stuff that I missed and decided to basically call a moratorium after that.

Exceptions for: Baldur 3, Armored Core 6, AEW Fight Forever, Elden Ring DLC, maybe System Shock, maybe FF16 maaaaaybe. Those all getting grandfathered in. Nothing else though By God

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity