What are you playing?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Playing Triangle Strategy along with the Final Fantasy Tactics replay I started about a year ago. Interesting to compare the new and the old. TS has way less customization though and I definitely prefer FFT's choice of classes and skill-learning and so on. TS feels dumbed-down in comparison. It does look pretty at least and the branching story paths probably give it a lot of replay value. Biggest peeve with Triangle Strategy is that there is SO MUCH TALKING. Sometimes I'll have 20-25 minutes of talking segments between battles. FFT is more like 2-3 minutes between battles. Considering TS only has like 25 battles in the whole game, it seems like it should have like 3x as many battles to offset all the talking. There have been so many opportunities for them to break the talk-fest with battles, and they never do. Things like characters traveling from one location to another, dealing with bandits, whatever, all just kinda glossed over as the talking continues.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Currently playing 7DTD with the Darkness Falls mod. Epic. If you try the mod, make sure you patch to the current dev branch to fix the end game storyline quest.

7DTD has so much potential and those retards keep churning systems but just need to fucking optimize it. A decade in Alpha.

PS- If you play the mod, you better have friends. You'll need multiple classes.
I have fun with 7DtD. I suggest trying the Undead Legacy mod after Darkness Falls.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Started the Yakuza series with Yakuza Kiwami. Biggest issue for me so far is the camera during fights but pretty neat for the most part.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Turtle WoW been holding my attention fairly well with Warmode (30% xp buff) and the 1.5 rested xp tents. Just holding out for Last Epoch in less than a month.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Torn between snagging Dead Space and Hogwarts..
I’ve had a blast playing Hogwarts, 25 hours in at level 21 and haven’t been bored, just exploring areas and mechanics. I loved the original Dead Space, but will probably wait for a Steam sale on the remake.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I’ve had a blast playing Hogwarts, 25 hours in at level 21 and haven’t been bored, just exploring areas and mechanics. I loved the original Dead Space, but will probably wait for a Steam sale on the remake.
Thats the main reason I havent bought Dead Space yet. Heard its awesome but I know there will be a Steam sale eventually.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Been playing Battletech with the roguetech over hall mod. adds so much depth and difficulty to an already good game. much fun.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
was this fun or a grind?

It's a major grind. I'm glad it's done. They went with a WoW expansion type setup where each DLC has to be farmed to "gear up" for the next set of bosses which are l10x as strong as the previous set.

velk

Trakanon Raider
It's a major grind. I'm glad it's done. They went with a WoW expansion type setup where each DLC has to be farmed to "gear up" for the next set of bosses which are l10x as strong as the previous set.

That is EQ style, not WoW style.

WoW style is that the instant an expansion drops everything before it becomes a pointless waste of time.

• 1Solidarity

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It's strange how I can put hundreds of hours into deck building games and then I randomly come across a really good one that's been out since 2019 that I've never seen before.

Enjoying Mystic Vale.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That is EQ style, not WoW style.

WoW style is that the instant an expansion drops everything before it becomes a pointless waste of time.

Yeah, Stranger of Paradise DLCs are WoW-style. You have to farm gear for the next tier up or the next fight, then the next DLC immediately obsoletes the previous one's gear-up methods and drops new stuff on you.

The second to last boss of the last SoP DLC was Omega (of FF5 fame) and it was a HELL of a fight. Lost a bunch of times, ended up having to min-max and optimize every last drop of stats I could get out of the party. Then I managed to beat Omega fairly handily, and thought I'd reached dominance over the game. Nope, immediately after that you fight the final boss and it's vastly stronger than Omega. I took off maybe 5% of his HP on my several attempts. I think it wanted me to go back and farm the Omega fight for more gear for the last fight.

I couldn't be arsed with the goddamn game anymore so I flipped on easy mode and then the final boss keeled over for me in 2 minutes.

The SoP main game is terrific and a bit of a love letter to the FF series the same way World of Final Fantasy is (though in a much more dark and serious way). The DLCs are just there to extend the game's longevity from 40ish hours to like 80ish by giving you a ton of farming to do. And you can't jump ahead either, each DLC unlocks only after beating the final boss of the previous, which requires really min-maxing what that DLC gives you (only to have it be obsolete in a little while).

The SoP DLCs were one of the more tedious things I've done in a long time. Actually regret picking the game back up for them. Had much better memories of the original main story before.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Element TD2 - another well-polished and expansive tower defense game. I did not like this one as much as previous ones, I am not sure why - it kind of felt more puzzley than others, like it was a matter of picking the 'right' towers out of the ones available, and which ones were the right ones was pretty unintuitive. I couldn't really get a good feel for what situations you'd use most of the towers, and it felt more like you needed to build toward what was coming in future waves without actually knowing what was coming. Possibly self-inflicted to some extent as i was trying to 5 star each level as I went. Still good, but not as fun as I'd hoped. Also, what is with being constantly spammed with PVP challenges, including noxious gong sound effect being the default setting ?

Legend of Keepers - took me a bit for this one to 'click' but when it did I enjoyed it a lot. I initially thought it would be something like Dungeon Keeper, where you build up your fortress with hired monsters and traps etc, but it's not this at all. It's more like a reverse Monster Train, where you are the end boss, and assign groups of monsters or traps to the various nodes on the path and then groups of overpowered heroes show up and pulverize your hapless trash mobs while you desperately try to chip them down before they get to you main character and kill you.

There's some meta-progression in the form of talent trees for the heroes, but mostly they are self-contained scenarios that take about half an hour to run, where you have to pick up random monsters and traps, level them up, and manage their ever dropping morale from how often they get their asses kicked. Lots of unlocks of droppable items from random achievements ( kill 5 heroes with thorns, bring 50 creatures back to life, etc) and the previously mentioned talent trees.

Has a few DLC, but they are sidegrade progression - they don't add anything directly to the main game, just different bosses you can play as - so pretty much optional and only get if you like the main game, given you need to run a few missions with the default centaur slavemaster before you can use them anyway. Base game comes with three bosses anyway, each with fairly different playstyles and their own 'race' of units ( Centaur Slavemaster gets an 'intern' ( mini-boss ) and orcs/goblins/etc, Enchantress gets offensive spells along wih Treants and Elementals and the Engineer gets a custom 'advanced' trap and goblin mechs ).

Overall good value for a mindless turn-based roguelite.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve seen a few mentions of mechs, tower defense, and bullet hell across various threads this week. People that are into those should check out The Riftbreaker if you haven’t.

You land on an alien planet in a mech, start building automated electricity, mining, terraforming, stuff then start building automated towers for defending the stuff. Waves of enemies come. You can let the automation handle waves but generally want to assist yourself as the automation doesn’t keep up with larger waves.

You level up and unlock large tech, building, and weapon trees. Continue to grow your bases and defenses, continue to fight off waves. Has great visuals too, the glowing effects and lighting at night is awesome.

Really good game that scratched a lot of game itches for me.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Recently finished Ghost of Tsushima + DLC. I'd played it before (except the DLC) and did another run with the new content. Looks amazing on PS5! New island was just fine unfortunately, new add ons were not much and the mind effect of the new storyline got old really really fast. Game itself is great though so still worth it.

Next up, death simulator a.k.a. Elden Ring

• 1Worf

velk

Trakanon Raider
I’ve seen a few mentions of mechs, tower defense, and bullet hell across various threads this week. People that are into those should check out The Riftbreaker if you haven’t.

You land on an alien planet in a mech, start building automated electricity, mining, terraforming, stuff then start building automated towers for defending the stuff. Waves of enemies come. You can let the automation handle waves but generally want to assist yourself as the automation doesn’t keep up with larger waves.

You level up and unlock large tech, building, and weapon trees. Continue to grow your bases and defenses, continue to fight off waves. Has great visuals too, the glowing effects and lighting at night is awesome.

Really good game that scratched a lot of game itches for me.

Yeah, Riftbreaker is good fun. I particularly like the weapon visuals; burninating the zerg hordes with the flamethrower feels very satisfying. Surprisingly high production values all around.

cradeg

Molten Core Raider
just finished RE 7 & 8, and now started the RE franchise with RE 0 ( a little shock when you come from RE 8 ;) ) as I want to play it in timeline order
in parallel, for travels, I am doing Mignight Suns on the SteamDekc (better than expected) and still doing AC Origins once in a while