What are you playing?

Goonsquad Officer
I imagine I have shining force 1 2 and phantasy star 4 roms laying around some where if ya need

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Hammerwatch 2 came out this week. Been playing that some. They expanded quite a bit on HW1 and Heroes of Hammerwatch.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Shining Force 1+2 and Phantasy Star 4 are available on the genesis emulator as part of the Nintendo Switch Online expansion pack if you have that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Shining Force CD was completely off my list cause my Sega CD took a giant shit playing fucking Echo of all the fucking things. If you're going to play them on an emulator, I'd highly advise against cheating. Just like Phantasy Star games, if you're max lvl - you'll finish them in about 30 minutes if you're following the walkthrough. Amazing how those games were so short, but took a fuck ton of hours to finish. Whether that was because I was too fucking dumb to figure out a simple puzzle as a kid, or through that hellish grind that something like Phantasy Star 2 had where you would go out of town - fight like 2, MAYBE 3 things and then have to go to the inn and rest. Keep doing that until you can buy new weapons and armor so you can go an extra square or two out and fight worse shit, limp back, hope you dont hit the hardest of the first tier of the mobs and rinse/repeat till you're leveled up enough to get to the next town. Oof.

I had this setup below. Felt like I was king shit when I finally got the 32X and could build this monster. The SNES never turned into a transformer like that afaik.
0s38wbvr82m61.jpg

What a ridiculous monstrosity. It looks like the Genesis is on life support. Nope, SNES never had add-ons like this. They kept mining more and more power out of the base system. It's amazing the visual difference between stuff like FF4 in 1991 versus Chrono Trigger and Treasure Hunter G in 1995/1996. Late-stage SNES games looked incredible.

The "hellish grind" reminds me of Dragon Quest 6 (Super Famicom version, not the remake we got here). The beginning of that game really is hellish. Enemies give 1 EXP and 1 Gold and weapon/armor upgrades from the first town run you like 750 if you want stuff that's actually good. And you have to hit the inn after every 2-3 fights up until around level 3 or 4, luckily the inn is free. Fuck up and you lose half your money, and it's real easy to do that. You get an item you can bring to the second town and give to someone to get like 450 gold, which is huge, but if you proceed to go die before you spend it, it's half-gone. There's also a chest with 200 gold in the second town, so that and the item sale are almost enough to get the equipment and only have to grind out 100 or so more gold. Which is best done around the second town where enemies give a whopping 2 gold each.

Luckily the game gets a lot easier once properly equipped, then nosedives in difficulty when you get the second and third party members in fairly quick succession. So it's really just the first 2 hours that are hellish, as opposed to some early games like Phantasy Star 2 and 7th Saga where you're constantly being outdated by enemies every time you go one town further.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

bolok

Trakanon Raider
SNES crammed more processors in the game carts as opposed to adding to the console.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
What a ridiculous monstrosity. It looks like the Genesis is on life support. Nope, SNES never had add-ons like this. They kept mining more and more power out of the base system. It's amazing the visual difference between stuff like FF4 in 1991 versus Chrono Trigger and Treasure Hunter G in 1995/1996. Late-stage SNES games looked incredible.

The "hellish grind" reminds me of Dragon Quest 6 (Super Famicom version, not the remake we got here). The beginning of that game really is hellish. Enemies give 1 EXP and 1 Gold and weapon/armor upgrades from the first town run you like 750 if you want stuff that's actually good. And you have to hit the inn after every 2-3 fights up until around level 3 or 4, luckily the inn is free. Fuck up and you lose half your money, and it's real easy to do that. You get an item you can bring to the second town and give to someone to get like 450 gold, which is huge, but if you proceed to go die before you spend it, it's half-gone. There's also a chest with 200 gold in the second town, so that and the item sale are almost enough to get the equipment and only have to grind out 100 or so more gold. Which is best done around the second town where enemies give a whopping 2 gold each.

Luckily the game gets a lot easier once properly equipped, then nosedives in difficulty when you get the second and third party members in fairly quick succession. So it's really just the first 2 hours that are hellish, as opposed to some early games like Phantasy Star 2 and 7th Saga where you're constantly being outdated by enemies every time you go one town further.

I played through both Lunar RPGS (Silver Star and its sequel) recently, and it's tempting to cheat but I ended up making a hotkey to speed the emulator up during the fights.

I forgot how much grinding there is in these older games to make them last longer.

CKauvm7WoAA3tdz.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

That's not even the Tower of Power's final form.

Behold and despair.

MWgA7Qm.jpg

• 3Mother of God
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

skylan

Trakanon Raider
Just finished Dave the Diver. Was a fun game but ended up being a little shallow (no pun intended). For what it costs it's worth it, I got around 25 hours out of it.

Kind of wish they would have removed some of the side games and focused more on biome diversity and fisheries / farming. I don't need a gigapet or seahorse racing or the incel stalker mini-game.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Sort of all over the place now, not really focusing on any one thing. Finished Mortal Shell, now playing Armored Core 1 and Lords of the Fallen until I get AC6 (which'll be a few days after it actually drops, mad busy this weekend). Mostly just killing time cause I don't want to get super into anything before AC6.

After AC6 I'mma get knee-deep in either Nioh 1+2 or the next grouping of CRPGs on the list. Also friend and I are gonna co-play Resident Evil 4 Remake and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night as a sort of Halloween shindig before he moves away.

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I played Atlas Fallen not too long ago and it wasn't that great. The combat is very old school God of War clone spammy, there's not a huge variety of enemies, and the world doesn't seem as big as it deludes you into believing. The only major cool thing is the running/jumping powers, but they give you a bunch of puzzles for stuff like that which takes away the enjoyment.

Of course there's also the hint of wokeness: every white guy is a redneck, every white woman is an old hag, every major character is a black woman, and I can't recall there being any asian people.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
After finishing Tunic 100% (great game but goddamn it's cryptic, basically a mix of classic Zelda and Dark Souls), I've been playing Blasphemous 2, which also feels like Dark Souls but in a Metroidvania, a bit like Hollow Knight but without the cutesy graphics and in an even more fucked up religious atmosphere than Diablo.

I'm probably getting close to the end game but it's been excellent so far, I'm enjoying it even more than the first game and it's still just as beautiful and creepy at the same time as the first game, in its very stylized way.

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
XC2. The grind is real. Needing to have the game on to run Merc missions is annoying.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
After finishing Tunic 100% (great game but goddamn it's cryptic, basically a mix of classic Zelda and Dark Souls), I've been playing Blasphemous 2, which also feels like Dark Souls but in a Metroidvania, a bit like Hollow Knight but without the cutesy graphics and in an even more fucked up religious atmosphere than Diablo.

I'm probably getting close to the end game but it's been excellent so far, I'm enjoying it even more than the first game and it's still just as beautiful and creepy at the same time as the first game, in its very stylized way.

Also playing Blasphemous 2 after playing and beating the first one (ending B). Great games. There have been some seriously good 2d metroidvania games lately. Hollow Knight 2 is coming soon and Crowsworn looks great too.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
XC2. The grind is real. Needing to have the game on to run Merc missions is annoying.

XC2 being Xenoblade 2? I didn't know it had anything like that. Sounds more like a phone game. I only got like 10% of the way through that one before I lost interest, good music though.

Was planning on doing Nioh or more CRPGs, but instead I'm replaying Dark Souls 1. Again. Fromsoft games are like "f your backlog, play us again instead"

joz123

Potato del Grande
XC2 being Xenoblade 2? I didn't know it had anything like that. Sounds more like a phone game. I only got like 10% of the way through that one before I lost interest, good music though.

Was planning on doing Nioh or more CRPGs, but instead I'm replaying Dark Souls 1. Again. Fromsoft games are like "f your backlog, play us again instead"
Ya Xenoblade 2. It picks up a lot around Chapter 4-5. It has the best music out of the 3 games though. The merc missions are good for leveling up your Blades, just very time consuming so I will just leave the game running and watch Netflix or something.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished AC6, playing MK1 now. Extremely impressive game.

After this: Resident Evil 4 remake, then Lies of P, Front Mission 2, finish off Uncharted 4, Castlevania SOTN for Halloween, Planescape: Torment, and Sekiro. That's the plan for the rest of the year, we'll see how it goes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Witchfire. I can easily recommend this as a day one buy once it's out of early access. Rogue-lite + Doom 2016/Hexen done very well.