What are you playing?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
See, the problem here is that this post can be read one of two ways, probably more but bear with me, and this matters;
  1. "I am playing Death Stranding again, fuck knows why. Maybe something is wrong with me."
  2. "My brain is literally not working right lately, I have issues. I am playing Death Stranding because of the low IQ horse power requirement and relaxing vibe the game gives me."
Either way, does that title ever make sense in game because it just sounds terrible to me.

Yeah it's a weird title, but it's explained in the story. Can't remember all the details but basically people have ghost/spirits attached to them via "strands," and when they die the spirit thing activates or something. Dunno, really weird shit, but it's "explained."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
i been sick with my brain not working right, so i been playing death stranding again

After my friend died I reached for Death Stranding and played it quite a bit for a couple days. It's a good thing to play when depressed and bewildered and not wanting to have to think very much.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
It's a wild ass game, if simplistic in game play. It's basically a post apocalyptic setting where a corpse becomes a gate to some kind of alternate dimension then delete a large area if not burned quickly, so people live apart from each other in shelters, and your guy walks shit between them.

Kojima is just a madman so it has a ton of weird shit

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
After my friend died I reached for Death Stranding and played it quite a bit for a couple days. It's a good thing to play when depressed and bewildered and not wanting to have to think very much.

Yeah I played it during a tough time in my life too. Soundtrack is great, I really enjoy "Don't Be So Serious."

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Finally finished up Steelrising last night, which is a Souls-like based during the French Revolution with some automatons kind of like Lies of P, but this came out years before. Its actually pretty good with some Metroidvania type backtracking and gadgetry. The combat isn't as complex as the Soulsborne games, but I found it less frustrating and actually a bit more comfortable. The type of Soulslike you might play for a good 20+ hour run and you want to take a break from being pissed off for a while lol.

Other than that, I picked up some Black Friday type deals I'm going to try out, on top of some new Bullet Heaven shooters from the latest Steam sale. I went from Lies of P to Lords of the Fallen to Steelrising, and I think I need a Soulslike break.

I did play the Dead Space remake, which was pretty good despite some of the changes. If you have the Xbox game pass, you should be able to play it free through that using the EA pass they tack on to it. That's what I did.

(edit)
I forgot to mention Infernax, which is a pretty good Metroidvania with choices to make and may remind people of Castlevania 2, but the combat ability is waaay more agile. Definitely a cool game and not a huge time investment. I got about 10 hours out of it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Playing Assassin's Creed Mirage which I got at release like six weeks ago. Seems like absolutely nobody is playing it at this point. It's a perfectly decent old-school AC game but it isn't really lighting my world on fire. Seems like a DLC (which it was originally going to be, for Valhalla) and the Baghdad setting isn't nearly as conducive to AC gameplay as European cities are. Too flat. Though I give it credit for being a nice callback to AC1 with it being in the Middle-East. Like I said it feels old-school. After this I've got Spider-Man and Like A Dragon Gaiden lined up, so they're starting to pile up on me again. End of the year when I have some time off I'm gonna run Dragon Quest 7 and 8 and probably give Sekiro a real go . So pretty locked up for the next few months gamewise.

Might take 8 hours and plow the Super Mario RPG remake too. Game's shorter than people remember and they like, added nothing

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Playing Assassin's Creed Mirage which I got at release like six weeks ago. Seems like absolutely nobody is playing it at this point. It's a perfectly decent old-school AC game but it isn't really lighting my world on fire. Seems like a DLC (which it was originally going to be, for Valhalla) and the Baghdad setting isn't nearly as conducive to AC gameplay as European cities are. Too flat. Though I give it credit for being a nice callback to AC1 with it being in the Middle-East. Like I said it feels old-school. After this I've got Spider-Man and Like A Dragon Gaiden lined up, so they're starting to pile up on me again. End of the year when I have some time off I'm gonna run Dragon Quest 7 and 8 and probably give Sekiro a real go . So pretty locked up for the next few months gamewise.

Might take 8 hours and plow the Super Mario RPG remake too. Game's shorter than people remember and they like, added nothing
Props to you. Im so fucking burnt out on AC that after I beat the viking one - I just clocked out of the series altogether. They need to get back to their Black Flag roots.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Props to you. Im so fucking burnt out on AC that after I beat the viking one - I just clocked out of the series altogether. They need to get back to their Black Flag roots.

Yeah Valhalla was a huge waste of time really. It ended up being really useful for watching a bunch of movies and shows, at least, because I certainly wasn't paying much attention to the game. It benefitted from being released at a time when the PS5 had very few games yet. All I had for the first few months besides it was Demon Souls and Miles Morales.

I think Mirage IS them getting back to the roots, though it doesn't have boats of AC4 or the scope of even AC2. It's one of those "good for what it is" games. I have seen people call it the best "normal" AC since AC4. I liked Syndicate a lot and think people undersold that one.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah Valhalla was a huge waste of time really. It ended up being really useful for watching a bunch of movies and shows, at least, because I certainly wasn't paying much attention to the game. It benefitted from being released at a time when the PS5 had very few games yet. All I had for the first few months besides it was Demon Souls and Miles Morales.

I think Mirage IS them getting back to the roots, though it doesn't have boats of AC4 or the scope of even AC2. It's one of those "good for what it is" games. I have seen people call it the best "normal" AC since AC4. I liked Syndicate a lot and think people undersold that one.
I liked the "smaller" base building and the boat, its upgrades, and the shanties, all within a much more dialed in world in earlier AC's. The newest shit where you're installing entire buildings and upgrading them just seems.. different somehow? The huge expanses where Im fast traveling more than I am walking is very telling of how monotonous the game world is, too. Then, something about being in town and it being more advantageous to hide in plain sight, rather than fight off 300 enemies all at once is much more intriguing as well. Then the talent tree's - bunch of shit that you should just have at level 1. Why am I putting a skill point in just to jump off a tower like I have in every other game for free? Tf? My chief complaint used to be the "current times" shit where you wake up and talk about Abstergo and all that bullshit, but now its just how bland everything is.

• 1Truth!

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Gave up on Starfield, what a load o' crap. Currently playing Miles Morales on PS5. Hard to believe on a game this old but it's really really buggy. I've had hard crashes, missed 'switches' to make the mission progress etc. I'm having to manual save the hell out of it.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hotline Miami 1 and 2. These games are like fever dreams and I love it.

• 2Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A couple gacha games with PC clients: Reverse 1999 and Snowbreak: Containment Zone. With a bit of Black Desert Online.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Gave up on Starfield, what a load o' crap.

Can you describe the load of crap?

That game was never on my list but I am kind of curious about it as someone who was a huge Fallout fan up until some time during FO4.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Can you describe the load of crap?

That game was never on my list but I am kind of curious about it as someone who was a huge Fallout fan up until some time during FO4.
I waffled even installing it but I like the sense of exploration and story you get from these types of games. I got nothing like that from Starfield. The story is the same crap the told in Skyrim, etc , etc.
The controls are wonky. Both KB/M and controller are klunky. I cannot count how many times I had to google how to do something as they have too damn many controls bound to one button/key (consolitis) . Makes zero sense that you cannot split them apart on PC since there are WAY more keys to use.
When I realized I was making myself play the game I unistalled and cancelled gamepass.
About the only good thing I can say is it did look pretty (after about 20 mods).

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Might tap out on Assassin's Creed Mirage early (which I've never done with an AC game before). It's a good game but it's driving me nuts how they decided EVERY objective needed to be an "explore the area" instead of just a straight objective marker. People must have complained too much about being led by the hand. I played for a couple hours last night and I spent probably 80% of it wandering around trying to figure out WTF I needed to do. Not really how I want to spend game time...

I tried Castlevania Chronicles ($6 on PS3 PS Store) and Front Mission 3 (also $6 on PS3 PS Store). Both are a ton of fun and CC is largely unknown. It was for the Sharp X68000 originally and considering I've never even heard of the fuckin Sharp X68000 I'm guessing it was probably the system's crowning game.

Wow, PS3 is starting to be a really clutch system for finding PS1 classics that are hard to emulate and expensive to get any other way. Parasite Eve 2 (which can't be emulated) is another good thing to get on there. I hope they never shut down said PS3 store entirely. As it is you have to go on the PS5 and "add funds" in settings before you can buy anything on the PS3 store which is annoying, but at least it exists.

Castlevania Chronicles is kind of funny because it's a Sharp X68000 game that's a remake of an NES game, and was ported to the PS1, but I'm playing it on PS3, with a PS5 controller.

Last edited:

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Might tap out on Assassin's Creed Mirage early (which I've never done with an AC game before). It's a good game but it's driving me nuts how they decided EVERY objective needed to be an "explore the area" instead of just a straight objective marker. People must have complained too much about being led by the hand. I played for a couple hours last night and I spent probably 80% of it wandering around trying to figure out WTF I needed to do. Not really how I want to spend game time...

I tried Castlevania Chronicles ($6 on PS3 PS Store) and Front Mission 3 (also $6 on PS3 PS Store). Both are a ton of fun and CC is largely unknown. It was for the Sharp X68000 originally and considering I've never even heard of the fuckin Sharp X68000 I'm guessing it was probably the system's crowning game.

Wow, PS3 is starting to be a really clutch system for finding PS1 classics that are hard to emulate and expensive to get any other way. Parasite Eve 2 (which can't be emulated) is another good thing to get on there. I hope they never shut down said PS3 store entirely. As it is you have to go on the PS5 and "add funds" in settings before you can buy anything on the PS3 store which is annoying, but at least it exists.

Castlevania Chronicles is kind of funny because it's a Sharp X68000 game that's a remake of an NES game, and was ported to the PS1, but I'm playing it on PS3, with a PS5 controller.
AC Mirage is on my radar and I usually love that series. Unfortunately what little I hear about that game at all is negative.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
AC Mirage is on my radar and I usually love that series. Unfortunately what little I hear about that game at all is negative.

Yeah it's unfortunate but every new AC game seems to get blasted with negativity and "it isn't as good as the old ones". Then later they gain positive press once they're a few years old. Like Unity and Syndicate have gotten a lot of "these AC games are better than you remember" articles, and Origins is now regarded as like a series-best game by a lot of people.

Same thing happens with Zeldas. Or at least, did for a while. Majora, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword all got hit with a wave of "meeh it's not as good as the old ones" when it first dropped and then gained lots of nostalgia and popularity after the next one came out (and became the new "meeh")

I spoke a bit too soon on Mirage. The constant "stop and explore" with no objective markers may be annoying as hell for people who don't like to be lost, but I had a better experience last night once I stopped expecting the game to be something else and just treated it like a detective simulator all the way. Got to the final target (of five) pretty fast. Not sure how much is left. Game reminds me a LOT of AC1, in that it's down to the barebones "here's a target list, figure out how to find them and lure them out by going around investigating things". In AC1 it was nine targets, here it's five, though there's a bit more gameplay to reach each one so it probably shakes out to around the same length.

• 1Pathetic

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Yeah it's unfortunate but every new AC game seems to get blasted with negativity and "it isn't as good as the old ones". Then later they gain positive press once they're a few years old. Like Unity and Syndicate have gotten a lot of "these AC games are better than you remember" articles, and Origins is now regarded as like a series-best game by a lot of people.

Same thing happens with Zeldas. Or at least, did for a while. Majora, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword all got hit with a wave of "meeh it's not as good as the old ones" when it first dropped and then gained lots of nostalgia and popularity after the next one came out (and became the new "meeh")

I spoke a bit too soon on Mirage. The constant "stop and explore" with no objective markers may be annoying as hell for people who don't like to be lost, but I had a better experience last night once I stopped expecting the game to be something else and just treated it like a detective simulator all the way. Got to the final target (of five) pretty fast. Not sure how much is left. Game reminds me a LOT of AC1, in that it's down to the barebones "here's a target list, figure out how to find them and lure them out by going around investigating things". In AC1 it was nine targets, here it's five, though there's a bit more gameplay to reach each one so it probably shakes out to around the same length.
E-high five Rajaah Rajaah I pulled the trigger on AC Mirage last night. Downloaded it over night so haven't got into it yet. Saw it was on sale for $39.99 so bought it outright in lieu of the uplay + fuckery. Gonna give it a go.
Is Unity the AC game was set in France during their revolution ? I think that is the only 3d AC I didn't finish, I may have to reload it again. I cannot recall why I didn't finish it though.