What are you playing?

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Is Unity the AC game was set in France during their revolution ? I think that is the only 3d AC I didn't finish, I may have to reload it again. I cannot recall why I didn't finish it though.
Yes, it's the one in France. When it was initially released it was hot fucking garbage, I bought it and then traded it in the next day. The only reason I ever played it again was because I got a free copy of it with Syndicate.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Scarlet Nexus.

Nice looking game. Tedious cutscenes but you can mostly skip through them.

Still early on so not sure if it'll stick. Combat is easier than Tales of Arise but I can see it becoming boring if it doesn't change up much.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
E-high five Rajaah Rajaah I pulled the trigger on AC Mirage last night. Downloaded it over night so haven't got into it yet. Saw it was on sale for $39.99 so bought it outright in lieu of the uplay + fuckery. Gonna give it a go.
Is Unity the AC game was set in France during their revolution ? I think that is the only 3d AC I didn't finish, I may have to reload it again. I cannot recall why I didn't finish it though.

Yeah Unity is French Revolution.

Syndicate is London and is my personal favorite post-AC4 traditional AC. Basically improved on everything Unity did. But I also liked Unity. The love interest character in Unity was this redhead swashbuckler and she was a joy. Not playable though which was a big misstep. Syndicate had a playable hot woman assassin so another improvement on Unity.

At this point they're both great games.

I've gotten Unity, Syndicate, and Origin for like $5-8 each on the PS Store in the past year. Mirage is down to like $25-30 on Ebay which is kind of nuts given it came out a month ago.

Rude Rude Why you gotta /pathetic everything?

• 1Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
Yeah Unity is French Revolution.

Syndicate is London and is my personal favorite post-AC4 traditional AC. Basically improved on everything Unity did. But I also liked Unity. The love interest character in Unity was this redhead swashbuckler and she was a joy. Not playable though which was a big misstep. Syndicate had a playable hot woman assassin so another improvement on Unity.

At this point they're both great games.

I've gotten Unity, Syndicate, and Origin for like $5-8 each on the PS Store in the past year. Mirage is down to like $25-30 on Ebay which is kind of nuts given it came out a month ago.

Rude Rude Why you gotta /pathetic everything?
The assassin's creed franchise has been hot garbage for years and needs to be retired. AC Odyssey was peak for the "RPG" variant, and like AC4, had very little to do with the Assassin's Creed plot itself. Nobody remembers the Egyptian cuck, and Valhalla was a mess from start to finish. This new game was a discarded Valhalla expansion Ubisoft tried pawning off for 50 bucks. Their product isn't worth the money, so stop buying their shit.

Last, and least, AC Unity was the worst Assassin's Creed game in the entire franchise. That game was also my "lessons learned" moment for not pre-ordering / buying day 1 release. That game was an unfinished mess.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I finished Marvel Midnight Suns recently got it cheap a while ago on steam sale. The story was kind of shit and I didn't like the "exploration" part of the game where you had to explore the grounds of the mansion or whatever. But I did enjoy the combat. I thought it was really well done turn based along with the cards and the upgrading of them and everything. 7/10

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ended up finally getting Jedi Survivor after patch 7.5 for series X made the final adjustments to turn off RT in performance mode. Looks solid and runs great now - still a few hilarious bugs. Having a decent time with it but I am pretty much going through the story. I actually like having to check the map for navigation. So far so good at any rate :)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This is probably a longshot, but anyone got any advice on Kid Icarus for the NES?

It's one of the few NES games I still haven't played and want to. I think that list is down to like 4 or 5 things at this point because I got the rest of the big ones over the decades. Crystalis, Punch-Out, Totally Rad maybe, Journey to Silius maybe, Kid Icarus.

I haven't played an NES game in a couple years and saw the AVGN video on Kid Icarus so I fired it up. Pretty much getting maimed. Got to the first fortress (1-4) and it's good to be out of the vertical hallways of death temporarily. Trying to farm up 999 hearts since there's an infinite respawning room right next to a shop here. I thought it might be overkill to farm 999 hearts, but then I see how damn expensive everything is. That'd be like...two potions!

Should I be going for the healing potions that get stored (AKA not the wine)? I also have to go for wine every so often because enemies chip at my health and if I die I go back to whatever hearts I had when I started this section. Why is everything so expensive? I bought the pencil, hope that sticks around. Can't imagine playing this on an NES and not being able to keep all the expensive items I have to farm. NES Classic with saves is the way to go.

In short I have no idea what I'm doing. Considering it's Metroid's sibling game made by the same people, I see why Metroid got a series and Kid Icarus didn't. I expected a little better from Gunpei Yokoi and team. That said it's still got that Nintendo charm and it's pretty hard and I think I'd like it if I knew what I was doing.

Also AVGN said something about how hearts can increase your HP if you get enough of them? Only one thing increased my HP so far and I can't remember what it was, but I don't think it was heart-collecting. I got 999 of them and nothing happened, so I went and bought a heal and aforementioned pencil.

NES was never my system of choice because by the time I got into games it was on the way out, but I do find it weirdly calming to sit down and play a really difficult NES game blind once in a while.

Caliane

kid icarus is definitely one of those old experimental games. like castlevania 2, and zelda 2. o r, other less well remembered. rygar, faxanadu, etc.

Brutally hard. nothing is explained. Before save system, so had that crazy password system. 3 different game types in one. the vertical platformer with instant deaths. the room maze, like zelda.. the side scroller stages.. it was dec 86(jul 87 in NA) with no save. zelda was feb of 86 without in japan, but then aug 87 in NA with the battery save,.

barrels give hp, also hp/str is based on point total. when you finish a stage, your points give you hp.
attack reapers from behind.

The falling to instant death is something that would not be replicated in modern games. even more loved games of the period. you wouldn't see that in mario. it was how older castlevanias worked. but again, known for being brutal, and something abandoned in latter ones.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
kid icarus is definitely one of those old experimental games. like castlevania 2, and zelda 2. o r, other less well remembered. rygar, faxanadu, etc.

hp is based on point total. when you finish a stage, your points give you hp.

Just mentioning these games is triggering some nostalgia and a little bit of PTSD

• 1Solidarity

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, you're naming the games that I played immediately after super mario bros and final fantasy. Me and my brothers even figured out Battletoads and beat it a few times.

I had a MAX controller and rigged up a system where i was crouching and attacking in Rygar, put myself against a wall and turned off the tv in the living room overnight on a Saturday. Came back to pretty high level (life) and walked through the rest of the game the next day.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, you're naming the games that I played immediately after super mario bros and final fantasy. Me and my brothers even figured out Battletoads and beat it a few times.

I had a MAX controller and rigged up a system where i was crouching and attacking in Rygar, put myself against a wall and turned off the tv in the living room overnight on a Saturday. Came back to pretty high level (life) and walked through the rest of the game the next day.

My uncles soldered a switch onto the large NES game pad so you'd flip the switch and it'd act as if the button on turbo was held down. We buffed up a greater demon in wizardry so it couldn't be hit, and left it on all night as it continually summoned mobs. Got our guys levels into the hundreds.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Darktide - Horde shooter, good shit.
Mythforce - Absolute banger after the last patch.
Ravenswatch - Another coop rogue like, good shit.
Sim Racing - AMS2 and AC.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought it was really well done turn based along with the cards and the upgrading of them and everything. 7/10
7/10 rating for Midnight Suns means you've never played a good card game to have a proper reference point, but at least you correctly called out how terrible and unfulfilling the exploration half of the game is.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
My uncles soldered a switch onto the large NES game pad so you'd flip the switch and it'd act as if the button on turbo was held down. We buffed up a greater demon in wizardry so it couldn't be hit, and left it on all night as it continually summoned mobs. Got our guys levels into the hundreds.
That would have been some mind blowing shit back then. Was your uncle a HAM by chance, or just a general electronics guy?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Rygar - holy cats that brings back memories.

• 1Like

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I bought Soulstone Survivors on 11/11, and I have 103.2 hours played. I've finished all but 6 of the hidden achievements. I'm eagerly awaiting an update or DLC or whatever lol.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users