What are you playing?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah you gonna have a bad time...later you get 2 Oni forms and three transformations. If you get the controls down and want the easiest play through I highly suggest high Sta heavy armor Axe build. High stance axe all day for the massive stagger. It is slow as shit so bait attacks then punish.

Really though any heavy armor build is easy mode, you boost Ki and Sta just block everything. Block is very strong in Nioh just have to be ready to dodge the grabs.

Currently playing 40K Chaos Gate with Monster Train again in between.
It may be I just don’t have the reflexes and muscle memory for such complex controls and I get stuck again. Nioh 2 and Ninja Gaiden Black (missable life increases fucked me eventually) are the only two games in the past twenty years I remember getting hard stuck on a boss.

I’ll try blocking more, I’ve been playing like From games and just dodge and spirit dodge/parry everything, I don’t block at all actually. Haven’t tried the axe yet, started with spear and moved on to tonfa, I found the fast attacks lent itself to dodging a lot easier. If I can get blocking down maybe I can go back to the slower weapons and the controls won’t seem so frantic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I was about to fire up Nioh 2 next with the upgrade to PS5 - I want easy mode lol I can beat Demon souls and Elden Ring 3 times and plat that game, but this game hands me my asshole.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
It may be I just don’t have the reflexes and muscle memory for such complex controls and I get stuck again. Nioh 2 and Ninja Gaiden Black (missable life increases fucked me eventually) are the only two games in the past twenty years I remember getting hard stuck on a boss.

I’ll try blocking more, I’ve been playing like From games and just dodge and spirit dodge/parry everything, I don’t block at all actually. Haven’t tried the axe yet, started with spear and moved on to tonfa, I found the fast attacks lent itself to dodging a lot easier. If I can get blocking down maybe I can go back to the slower weapons and the controls won’t seem so frantic.
Do a mission or kill players that have axes or hammers, hammers actually do more Ki damage so lends to staggers way more often but doesn't scale as well with sta so less damage. To me the trade off isn't worth it, why stagger when an axe will kill it. Also make sure to hit with the edge of the weapon if too close you will do less damage. Once you unlock spin to win trash mobs will barely put up a fight.
Good video on what to build towards, he is actually terrible at this game but his build makes him not care. You can do even better if you get into what summons offer for setups.

Last thing I will say is nothing wrong with plain sword, for early game the damage can scale off Ki which is what you use to block.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've been heavily addicted to Ultimate General: Civil War. I picked it up at a steep discount a while ago but never really got into it deeply until now. I've been reading a book about the Civil War and it got me itching to play.

I've always hated the overwhelming complexity of war games, but I like more complexity than you get in a typical RTS. This is a really perfect balance between the two. You have limited control on the grand campaign level, being able to pick and choose battles that affect future engagements. You can build, equip, and train armies down to a very granular level. In battle, it's very much point-and-click like a typical RTS, but with more factors to consider like ammo, supply, terrain, moral, leadership, and positioning.

• 1Like

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been running a light weight sword build with ninjitsus. Combat is starting to click with me more. I still don't stance switch much and stay mid stance. I dodge instead of block a lot but am blocking way more than I was. I still can't get the swords parry moves to work for me lol, but thats hardly surprising since I wasn't good with parry in DS either.

I tell you though, I've spec'd my gear more for fast ki damage and ninjitsu power and you sure feel like a fucking God when it all comes together and you land Raijin at just the right time for massive damage.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I was about to fire up Nioh 2 next with the upgrade to PS5 - I want easy mode lol I can beat Demon souls and Elden Ring 3 times and plat that game, but this game hands me my asshole.

What's harder, Nioh 2 or Sekiro?

What about Nioh 1?

I'm sure I've asked this before cause I've had all 3 of them on my shortlist for two+ years.

I started Nioh 1 (again) not too long ago. Looking for a build that makes that game easier, cause I kinda just want to get through it after all these false starts. Looks awesome on PS5 and even has a 120 FPS mode. I picked Twin Swords because it's closest to my Bloodborne weapon, but I barely know what I'm doing yet. I think I got to the third area or so.

Starting Crisis Core tomorrow, looking forward to that. Also trying to knock off more challenges in the Mega Man Collection and the last 3 bosses I didn't defeat in Cuphead's DLC. One of them is Chef Saltbaker and I hear he's a real bastard.

As for Cuphead, I beat 2 of the 3 remaining bosses, all that's left is Chef Saltbaker. Weird thing happened where I failed to one boss for a while, tapped out, then the next day tried again and won in 5-10 minutes. Then ran into a wall with the next boss, failed for a while, tapped out. Next day, went back and won that fight within 5-10 minutes. Then ran into a wall with the Chef. I have a feeling I won't come back tomorrow and roll him like the others.

Still, pretty funny how I can struggle on something, then return later and have no issues at all right off the bat. What's up with that?

I just fired this up a few days ago too. I got stuck on a boss long ago and never beat it, so decided to start fresh again. It’s really nice now on ps5 with no loading times since I die so gd much. Man this game makes me want to throw a controller through the TV sometimes, it is way less forgiving than dark souls games. The controls are pretty damn complex is I think part of my issue. I don’t even do stance switching and still have issues.

Oh, that's the big issue I'm having with Nioh. The controls are different from Souls, so I'm constantly pressing the wrong buttons. And there's too much going on. I'm not stance switching either. I end up running back and forth to the bonfire-equivalent constantly to heal up. I got to like level 9 with this kind of super-careful play. Not really dying but not really making much forward progress either.

When you die, are your souls really just gone? Cause I've only died twice outside of bosses and both times I didn't see any puff of energy to reclaim souls or anything.

Gonna see about switching to an axe build whenever I find an axe, if that's the way to go.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What's harder, Nioh 2 or Sekiro?

What about Nioh 1?

I'm sure I've asked this before cause I've had all 3 of them on my shortlist for two+ years.

I started Nioh 1 (again) not too long ago. Looking for a build that makes that game easier, cause I kinda just want to get through it after all these false starts. Looks awesome on PS5 and even has a 120 FPS mode. I picked Twin Swords because it's closest to my Bloodborne weapon, but I barely know what I'm doing yet. I think I got to the third area or so.

As for Cuphead, I beat 2 of the 3 remaining bosses, all that's left is Chef Saltbaker. Weird thing happened where I failed to one boss for a while, tapped out, then the next day tried again and won in 5-10 minutes. Then ran into a wall with the next boss, failed for a while, tapped out. Next day, went back and won that fight within 5-10 minutes. Then ran into a wall with the Chef. I have a feeling I won't come back tomorrow and roll him like the others.

Still, pretty funny how I can struggle on something, then return later and have no issues at all right off the bat. What's up with that?

Oh, that's the big issue I'm having with Nioh. The controls are different from Souls, so I'm constantly pressing the wrong buttons. And there's too much going on. I'm not stance switching either. I end up running back and forth to the bonfire-equivalent constantly to heal up. I got to like level 9 with this kind of super-careful play. Not really dying but not really making much forward progress either.

When you die, are your souls really just gone? Cause I've only died twice outside of bosses and both times I didn't see any puff of energy to reclaim souls or anything.

Gonna see about switching to an axe build whenever I find an axe, if that's the way to go.
I’ve never played Sekiro. I’m not a fan of Parry gameplay so never tried it, even though I really wanted to check it out.

Nioh 1 had a hard start for me but once I got some movesets down and figured out which weapons I liked (kusarigama) by mid game I had hit my stride, and late game I was steamrolling everything.

Nioh 2 is difficult for me because there are a ton of moves, tons of combos, tons of shifting in and out of different forms. It is much more fast paced than the From games so when panic sets in you die really fast, whereas From games if you panic you have a little time (usually) to recover.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I found spear to be quite good in Nioh. That helped shore up my weaknesses.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Taking a break from Crisis Core (about halfway done with the plat) for a bit and I'm liking Nioh enough to maybe stick with it this time. Been bouncing between that and Salt+Sacrifice the last couple nights. I actually like S+S so far. Did the first two Mage hunts (the things people say are so annoying) and thought they were fun. If there's a ton of them in the game I could see them getting annoying though. Also, chasing down an enemy kind of flies in the face of the normal game loop of playing slowly and carefully. So once I get to tougher areas I might not like it so much. I'm up to the second "world", the one everyone hates. Speccing for Greatswords and Two-Handed Swords. I'd prefer the latter but I've only gotten a high-DPS drop of the former so far.

Yeah, I'm liking both games quite a bit and thinking I might just run with one of them. Too bad I'm playing both and can't decide now. Minus points for S+S having "body type" instead of gender and making both types look pretty much exactly the same, like a paper-thin morose depressed drug addict. At least in Nioh I can play as a character with actual appeal and individuality.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230112_210423.jpg

Finished Cuphead DLC. Man, what a fantastic game. Sometimes I wasn't crazy about it, but I had a lot of fun overall. The last DLC fight took about an hour straight of trying it over and over, but it was so fun that when I finally won I was almost bummed the fight was over. Super hard game, in a good way though.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Brahma Brahma iirc you were the one with StS on your top 5 played this year.

1673899265218.png

Far from optimized and needed branch for true degeneracy as the deck had a very finite amount of block, but it was fun combining the Blood for Blood/Brutality combo with a Corruption package.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Finally finished my playthrough of AC Valhalla. Easilly 120 hours, and I didn't do all the extras (didn't get all armor, all random items, etc). I picked the game up on sale for $20 direct from Ubisoft a while ago and I definitely got my monies worth! It was fun but I had to google wtf the ending meant. I think that means it didn't stick the landing! Anyhow I have now completed all the 3d AC games.

Next up is a replay of Control but this time with all the DLC. I also have Elex 2 & Elden ring but I want to finish all the random games before I tackle ER. I suck at 'get gud' so don't want anythign to distract me.

• 3Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Been on a tower defense kick recently -

Tower Tactics Liberation - roguelike tower defense, unlockable decks, kinda futuristic space themed. Got a lot of mileage out of this one, good quick fun. No mazing for this one, just placement on pre-generated tower locations, although most maps have more than enough pre-existing positions for almost any tower combo. Still some balance issues ( holy guilds deck is sooooo bad ) but good fun regardless. Early access tagged, but a finished game regardless, the dev just adds random stuff as time goes by.

Spirits of the Hellements - hex based fantasy tower defense - pretty innovative 'towers', they are all 'spirits' that have several different upgrade talent trees that change them in pretty drastic ways. For example, one of the towers is a myconoid village - you can set a spore trap on an adjacent lane, and they have archers that shoot at fliers in a fairly large range. Out of the three talent trees, one of them lets them shoot at ground targets and either fire their spore traps on top of their arrows, or makes their spore trap create a huge persistent cloud that increases damage taken and also lets other mushroom men shoot things inside it, even if they don't have the shoot at ground upgrade. Another one lets you build more traps at further distances, and then increases the trap recharge for every trap on the map. Then on top of that, they also get special abilities when they are built on a 'Hellement' that vary based on which element it is, and how much you have upgraded that element on that map. ( Every 5 waves you get a challenge wave where you can pick a combination of bonus and penalty, e.g. upgrade all fire hellements and elite monsters get health regeneration etc )

Decent graphics, satisfying effects with the mass carnage I like to see in tower defense, and original, in-depth tower designs and upgrades.

Downsides is that it is very easy - there's a lot of powerful synergies you can use that quickly become overwhelmingly strong - I wouldn't consider playing it on anything other than the second hardest difficulty even if you were new to the genre - veterans should start on 'Diablo' difficulty.

No roguelike elements or meta-progression ( well, tower talent tree unlocks, but you can do them in any order you feel like and there's no grinding for them, just playing the normal maps), so is an easy playthrough and done in 30 ish hours on the hardest difficulty.

Dungeon Warfare 2 - physics based meta progression one with levels, talent trees, diablo-like equipment, trap skill levels etc. Pretty primitive graphics, but good fun if you like pushing armies of adventurers off the edge of a cliff into lava, or having harpoon traps that shoot cabled harpoons into people and then drag them into pits. Has a bunch of campaign maps, as well as procedurally generated maps of arbitrary levels, as well as letting you reset your level/gold/items to restart the campaign at a higher difficulty level, while keeping the trap bonus you got from completing the campaign maps. My only real complaint is that battering ram enemies being virtually immune to every form of crowd control makes a lot of the fun traps kind of pointless at high levels. ( You pretty much have to kill them with pure damage traps, which is annoying ).

• 3Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Been on a tower defense kick recently -

Tower Tactics Liberation - roguelike tower defense, unlockable decks, kinda futuristic space themed. Got a lot of mileage out of this one, good quick fun. No mazing for this one, just placement on pre-generated tower locations, although most maps have more than enough pre-existing positions for almost any tower combo. Still some balance issues ( holy guilds deck is sooooo bad ) but good fun regardless. Early access tagged, but a finished game regardless, the dev just adds random stuff as time goes by.

Spirits of the Hellements - hex based fantasy tower defense - pretty innovative 'towers', they are all 'spirits' that have several different upgrade talent trees that change them in pretty drastic ways. For example, one of the towers is a myconoid village - you can set a spore trap on an adjacent lane, and they have archers that shoot at fliers in a fairly large range. Out of the three talent trees, one of them lets them shoot at ground targets and either fire their spore traps on top of their arrows, or makes their spore trap create a huge persistent cloud that increases damage taken and also lets other mushroom men shoot things inside it, even if they don't have the shoot at ground upgrade. Another one lets you build more traps at further distances, and then increases the trap recharge for every trap on the map. Then on top of that, they also get special abilities when they are built on a 'Hellement' that vary based on which element it is, and how much you have upgraded that element on that map. ( Every 5 waves you get a challenge wave where you can pick a combination of bonus and penalty, e.g. upgrade all fire hellements and elite monsters get health regeneration etc )

Decent graphics, satisfying effects with the mass carnage I like to see in tower defense, and original, in-depth tower designs and upgrades.

Downsides is that it is very easy - there's a lot of powerful synergies you can use that quickly become overwhelmingly strong - I wouldn't consider playing it on anything other than the second hardest difficulty even if you were new to the genre - veterans should start on 'Diablo' difficulty.

No roguelike elements or meta-progression ( well, tower talent tree unlocks, but you can do them in any order you feel like and there's no grinding for them, just playing the normal maps), so is an easy playthrough and done in 30 ish hours on the hardest difficulty.

Dungeon Warfare 2 - physics based meta progression one with levels, talent trees, diablo-like equipment, trap skill levels etc. Pretty primitive graphics, but good fun if you like pushing armies of adventurers off the edge of a cliff into lava, or having harpoon traps that shoot cabled harpoons into people and then drag them into pits. Has a bunch of campaign maps, as well as procedurally generated maps of arbitrary levels, as well as letting you reset your level/gold/items to restart the campaign at a higher difficulty level, while keeping the trap bonus you got from completing the campaign maps. My only real complaint is that battering ram enemies being virtually immune to every form of crowd control makes a lot of the fun traps kind of pointless at high levels. ( You pretty much have to kill them with pure damage traps, which is annoying ).

I had a lot of fun with Dungeon Warfare 2, well worth the price of admission. I agree with the battering ram dudes being an issue, but that doesn't happen to late end game when you're already min/maxing and breaking the game.

Tower Tactics was fun too, also worth the price, but I feel it needs a bit more content or meat on the bones.

Spirits of the Hellements I agree is way too easy, and also all the waves in each level are literally cut/paste for the most part which gets boring real fast.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I just banged out Neutopia 1 and 2 for the ol' Turbografx-16, which were Legend of Zelda clones. Not bad...1 is a little more linear than LoZ and 2 is more linear than 1, but still decent games.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Finally playing RDR2. The graphics are fucking ridiculous when cranked all the way up. The missions are a little dull but all the shit you can do in the world is insane.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jedi Fallen Order since it was free on PS+. So far I suck it feels a lot clunkier than say, Elder Ring. And the main character looks like he is retarded.

• 1Double Worf