What are you playing?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
KID ICARUS IS SO DIFFICULT.

I imagine the Game Boy version is even worse with the smaller screen area.

NES-era video games put goddamn hair on your chest.

After you are done with that, take it a little easier on yourself with this stroll in the park:

1701702239326.png

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Those fucking games. I think I've made it to the second level like 2 or 3 times ever.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I beat Ghost n Goblins on the Commodore 64 when I was 8. I remember my dad came home and didn’t believe me so I did it again, he was shocked af.

Battletoads was much harder. I spent tons and tons of hours and I’be never met anyone else that has beat it. I only have tried it a couple times since I beat it and it’s so fucking hard. No way could I ever do that one again.

Never beat TMNT, it was rough and bullshitty and not all that fun. I hated the swimming.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

gave steamworld build a shot via gamepass. its very anno lite. not a ton of content, very little reason to replay after a single map playthrough. the rare game where the story actively HURT the game. what little story there was. Which is remarkable.

put some good amount of hours into DA:inquisition. but yeah, burning out on the collectathon/mmo shit. unlock a zone, platform and collect sparklers. ffs what retard design.

So, started another Bannerlord campaign. Maarit Klaus of Sturgia is going to bring joy and love to Calradia, or else.

(some others I tried recently. Dungeons 4. same terrible writing as the last, I couldn't stand it for more then 2 missions. so unfunny. wartales didn't grab me either sadly. backpack battles, back pack hero are both good for some quick mindless fun. tried holocure live for a bullet heaven.)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Y's 9: Monstrom Nox was also available with Playstation Plus, but I couldn't get into it. There was so much dialogue and the rare chances I did get to fight, it was nothing but attack spam. I miss the older games.

I didn't like Ys IX at all. As someone who has played pretty much the whole series (besides the Japan-only ones) and really loved the 2D Ys games. I basically just found myself lost all the time in Ys IX. And there was so much talking. And they kept cutting back to the prison. And Adol didn't look like Adol anymore.

I did Ys VIII after that and while I liked it quite a bit more, I again got lost all the time.

This was back when I always finished things, so I finished both. In the present day I would probably tap out on both within a few hours. Doubt I'll give Ys X a chance. Unless someone guarantees me that there's less nonstop-blabbing and less being completely gorram lost.

After you are done with that, take it a little easier on yourself with this stroll in the park:

View attachment 502952

Believe it or not I beat that one. Also Super Ghouls and Ghosts on SNES, and the less well-known Ghouls and Ghosts on Genesis. I love all 3 of them, they're Souls before we had Souls.

I beat Ghost n Goblins on the Commodore 64 when I was 8. I remember my dad came home and didn’t believe me so I did it again, he was shocked af.

Battletoads was much harder. I spent tons and tons of hours and I’be never met anyone else that has beat it. I only have tried it a couple times since I beat it and it’s so fucking hard. No way could I ever do that one again.

Never beat TMNT, it was rough and bullshitty and not all that fun. I hated the swimming.

I beat TMNT1 also. Very meh game, mainly only did it because I'd beaten 2-4 and wanted to "complete" that series.

Battletoads though, never beat it or got very far in it. It didn't appeal to me enough to learn it, plus it just roflstomped me in a way nothing else on NES did. I think it takes #1 hardest on NES for sure, aside from maybe Punch-Out? Nah, I think Punch-Out is a lot shorter and more learnable. Never beat that one either though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20231204_143107.jpg

Finally made some real progress on Kid Icarus this weekend. Not too far from the end I think. Really weird how it gets so much easier as it goes on. Always heard how blisteringly tough the game is, but only World 1 was really blistering. There are only four worlds too.

I think the further worlds are mechanically more difficult than World 1, the difference being that Pit is no longer pathetic.

Also World 1's iconic vertically is a PITA, then World 2 is just normal side-scrolling levels.

It's pretty buggy though. Like I got the Fire Arrows and then they just disappeared after a few minutes. Maybe some enemies can knock off your artifact weapons? And when I pick the "long beam" bow option nothing happens. At least the two spinning crystals work.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Kid Icarus, Ghosts and Goblins, TMNT, and Zelda II made me quit games mostly until snes. I think Zelda II was user error. But I thought I just sucked so bad due to the others. Nice to see others rage on them. Particularly TMNT. Fuck that game.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
This guy did a series of videos with the NES final bosses. I was surprised by how many I recognized, but even more surprised by the games I hadn't seen before.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This guy did a series of videos with the NES final bosses. I was surprised by how many I recognized, but even more surprised by the games I hadn't seen before.

Omg Jackal at 3:00, fucking LOVED that game

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Goonsquad Officer
still playing ark survival ascended. they're finally patching some of the more retarded bugs heh

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think there are mobs that steal some of your shit.

Seems like it. Also the dungeons (1-4, 2-4, etc) seem to take away your special weapons until the level is over, which makes like, zero sense.

The eggplant status effect is possibly the most annoying status effect I've ever dealt with in a game, and the game would have been twice as good if it were omitted entirely.

20231204_202331.jpg

Oh yeah, beat the game. Last level was awesome, it turned into a shooter. I saved up heal potions for the whole game (had 5 when it was all said and done, could have had 8 or 9 if I hadn't bought so many wines which was a bad idea) and ended up needing ALL of those 5 potions on this last level.

That was kind of mid for a Nintendo first-party game, but it was easily above-average for a NES game. Very cool to play an NES game for the first time in a while.

• 1Solidarity

Heian

Molten Core Raider
Zelda 2 was the first game I ever finished. It was the only game I had with Mario. I wanted Zelda 1 and my parents got me the second one thinking it was better.

Back then I had no internet or no guide. Took me about 10 months to get through it if I recall properly. I was maybe 8 years old. Replayed it last year on the switch. Still a hard game. Learned to draw while drawing the arts in the booklet of that game. I was obsessed with it.

Just saw lately that someone released a tuned version of Zelda 2 last month. Tuned difficulty, added levels, items and even new quests. Looked at a stream and it actually looked really great. I might try it.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Zelda 2 was the first game I ever finished. It was the only game I had with Mario. I wanted Zelda 1 and my parents got me the second one thinking it was better.

Back then I had no internet or no guide. Took me about 10 months to get through it if I recall properly. I was maybe 8 years old. Replayed it last year on the switch. Still a hard game. Learned to draw while drawing the arts in the booklet of that game. I was obsessed with it.

Just saw lately that someone released a tuned version of Zelda 2 last month. Tuned difficulty, added levels, items and even new quests. Looked at a stream and it actually looked really great. I might try it.
Got a name of that zelda 2? I have seen some roms with fan changes a few years back.