What did you just read?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Nona the Ninth - I still really don’t know what to make of this series, but in a good way. It is just so bizzare. There’s been so much time between my readings of Gideon the Ninth and Harrow the Ninth that little details are lost. Once again it took about 46% of the book for things to really click in place but when they did it was off to the races.

Tamsyn Muir can do the quirky meme stuff drapped over with Fantasy SciFi pretty well. Writing from the perspective of Nona, a 6-month old teenager, was pretty charming and cute at times. But she really writes the serious parts and the world building parts very well. The flashback/dream sequence parts with John were awesome.

I’d love to pick up the SubPress special editions of these and lock in rights to Alecto the Ninth. As well as pick up some of her other work and see how it compares. Floralinda and the Forty-Flight tower maybe.

Then I’ll definitely start my Malazan re-read, and finish more Black Library… and catch up on Sanderson. Oh and Laundry File book 7

Little necro (pun intended), back after posting this I did get the Locked Tomb SubPress versions (along with Floralinda), but it was before Nona was published. The person who sold me the series ghosted me when Nona came out last year and it has taken months of trying to get in contact with them and the help of others in the SubPress community, but I finally received my book. Tried to be patient during the whole ordeal and am glad it is finally resolved. Not sure if I’ll get the rights to the next book transferred to me or not, just because of how difficult this process was. Just happy to get what I have.

IMG_6059.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
After watching Spaceman I picked up the novel it was based on, Spaceman of Bohemia. The movie only covers 50% of the book. After the point at which the movie ends, where Jakub is rescued, the whole thing shifts to a more personal story of Jakub and his return home and how his experience in space has impacted him.

I won't say the book is bad, it isn't. I will say that it goes on and on and on by the end. Kalfar, the author, is obviously very much in love with his Country and does a good job of explaining some of the political turmoil, struggles, communism vs. capitalism, and the beauty of the whole region. But, it is all told from the perspective of Jakub who is, honestly, just a mopy depressed character. The Space stuff with Chopra and Hanusz was interesting from a science fiction perspective. It all comes off very similar to Solaris.

Some of the main differences from the film include an almost exclusive focus on his relationship with his wife, Lenka, and how he has treated her. This is certainly a part of the book, but not nearly to the same extent it is shown in the movie. And on film they have added a lot of actions of Jakub that make him come of as an extreme asshole. in the book he's just more career focused and impacted by the politics of his upbringing. I can understand why they did it in the movie, but it wasn't exactly a fair representation of his character.

Much of the first 50% is close to the movie from a space perspective, just with more detail. That big divergence in the middle is when he is rescued. In the movie it is by South Koreans who are also trying to investigate Chopra and racing the Czechs to get there. In the book he is rescued by a secret Russian space program that sent astronauts without the rest of the world's knowledge. Since this is a "secret" space program Jakub is told that he won't be able to ever go back to his family because then everyone would know of the Russian secrets. He'll be held political prisoner for the rest of his life. Some of the relationships between Jakub and the Russians are interesting, I won't go in to details but eventually he escapes them when their re-entry shuttle crashes in a field.

And then the book spends 40% of it focusing on the major plot point that was not included in the movie, adn taht is the whole backstory of his father being an interrogator for the Party, and how his Dad tortured a man that eventually comes back to Jakub's family and ruins his life and his grandparents. The "Shoe Man" as Jakub calls him, because his dad tortured him with electro shock shoes. Jakub's parents were killed in a gondola lift accident, likely politically assassinated b/c of the communist party relationships.

Its hard to go in to any more because I'm kind of tired just thinking of the whole thing. As a love letter or whatever to Czechoslovakia I guess I get it. And parts really were gorgeous and meaningful, impactful. It just drug way too far for me. Conversely, the other thing I could compare it to, rather than Solaris, would be something like Carlos Ruiz Zafón's Cemetery of Forgotten Dreams series. His stuff is so Spanish Civil War and amazing period stories that are interesting, and really make you fall in love with the setting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jmal2000

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
The Tainted Cup

Robert Jackson Bennett author of the Founders Trilogy (Foundryside) has released a new murder mystery novel thats described as a knives out with attack on titan element to the book. A biopunk fantasy murder mystery, in a world full of plants that interact with you, shrooms that control atmosphere, worms that glow blue that light up the rooms in the book. Like I said biopunk, heavy into biological advancements, like growing limbs and getting augmentations done to you. The main character is the assistant investigator who under went a suffusion that enhanced his brain, he is a engraver, he has eidetic memory, he is the one that goes out and investigates the murders and reports back to the crazy investigator. The murders in the book are gruesome and graphic as well. RBJ has that knack. Anyways RBJ is for a great read. I highly recommend his previous works and I highly recommend this work.