What did you just read?

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Just finished the first Kingkiller book. Almost put it down a few times its pretty bad.

For people to recommend this book is the same breath as ASOIAF is hilarious. I went in expecting a grimdark fantasy novel and I got Mary Sue goes to Hogwarts.

I actually had to check a few times to see if the book was labeled "Young Adult" or "Schoolastic"

Utter Trash. I'm a few chapters in on the second and it seems like more of the same.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I'm currently going through the Evacuation series by Frank Tayell and it's pretty great. It's zombie stuff though (I know it's played out, but I fucking love apocalyptic fiction) so it won't be to everyones tastes.

It's set on the UK which is great.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm almost done with the Dune audiobook and I honestly have a hard time recommending it. The story of Dune is complicated enough, the audiobook complicates it even further by swapping out voice actors and inconsistent accents with the characters, it makes it hard to track some scenes. Some of the scenes are straight up confusing until you realize "oh, they completely changed the Baron's voice, that's not another Baron now, that's fucking Harkonnen." Super annoying, and given the popularity of the story it's weird that they allowed this to happen. You would think the producers want to make the story as accessible as possible especially with such dense content. There's always the other possibility, that I am just dumb and everyone else gets it.

The story itself, yeah man you have to be down, you can't halfass this shit. I do like it, enough that i will probably continue the series audiobooks even though this is literally the most disappointed I have ever been in an audiobook. You have to have consistency, either do the fucking accent or don't, and use the same voice actor for the same parts. I'm down for whatever, you can have men playing female parts or children, whatever. Just be consistent. Switching between scenes takes you out of the story in a huge way.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I just finished it again myself and had forgotten that they did that, yeah it was a bit jarring. I just looked up the performers for each book within the original series to confirm and it looks like Messiah through Heretics didn't use the additional people that the first book did - i don't remember the others being that bad. Sorry about the recommendation on the performance part of it for the first book.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's cool, the story is awesome once I finally got into it enough to understand some of the particulars. It was just really annoying me this morning listening to it and Gurney Halleck went from like a southern Kentucky accent to a formal British accent to some kind of Turkish/Middle Eastern accent back to the British accent all within the span of one chapter. For fuck's sake, Audible.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I had a similar problem with the Metro Audiobooks, I found it really hard to keep the names of people and places together because they all sounded vaguely Russian and congealed into a mass of confusion.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, it was disappointing especially because I'm super intot he story now. I will try out Messiah soon and see if it's better. Right now I'm doing Cryptonomicon, which is amazing of course. And then Oathbringer comes out soon.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, it was disappointing especially because I'm super intot he story now. I will try out Messiah soon and see if it's better. Right now I'm doing Cryptonomicon, which is amazing of course. And then Oathbringer comes out soon.

Cryptonomicon is bloody awesome.

My kids have all read the Harry Potter books, but now we're listening to them together on trips and in the car and such. Those books narrated by Jim Dale are fantastic. He's really good.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Reht

Molten Core Raider
about halfway through Messiah again and they swap narrators but they aren't really "acting" or at least over acting the voices like they did the in the first book; it's still not one narrator but it's not as hard to follow as the first book.

velk

Trakanon Raider
The Secret Throne [Queen of Dreams 1] Peter F Hamilton - Two young sisters find that their father is actually an exiled prince of another land when he is kidnapped by political enemies and they have to rescue him for their evil clutches.
This was basically Hamilton does Narnia. It's pretty much a kid's book series, to much the same level Narnia is - the plotting is still sensible and motivations aren't ridiculous, but there isn't really the feel of consequences for actions, as seen by the fairly cavalier attitude toward genocide. This was a bit jarring from an author who I'd generally consider a dirty old man from his other writing. This was well written, nicely paced and an easy read. It won't set the world on fire but I liked it enough to read all of the trilogy.

Illuminae Amie Kaufman - Generally follows the story of some teenagers that start the day by receiving a orbital bombardment followed by a planetary invasion. After that, things begin to really go downhill - for everyone involved.
This is written in a pretty unusual style, it's like System Shock, where instead of a narrative it's a series of reports, conversation logs, descriptions of camera footage etc. Was a bit strange at first, but it was a fantastic story. I went looking for the sequel immediately after finishing it. This one would be my pick for best of this set of reviews.

The Punch Escrow Tal Klein - Company that controls most teleportation technology desperately tries to cover up the shocking secret behind their proprietary technology after a terrorist bombing causes a malfunction.
This one wasn't bad overall, but I had difficulty believing that anyone actually found their secret shocking, given it was pretty much in 'well, duh' territory.

The Ruin of Angels Max Gladstone - Like most of Gladstone's stuff, this one is a bit hard to summarize. Kai Pohala, the main character from a previous book, Full Fathom Five, goes to a city run by a squid cult to help her sister, and gets caught up in local politics. While I liked the individual components of this one, overall I found it a bit of a struggle to finish for reasons I had a hard time pinpointing. I think I felt bad for the bad guys in this one, the heroes were basically an unlikable bunch of shit-stirrers that were entirely unreasonable.

Born in Fire KF Breene - Supernatural bounty hunter with mysterious past gets tangled in vampire affairs against her better judgement. This was basically competent but generic urban fantasy.

Obsidian Son [Temple Chronicles 1] Shayne Silvers - Nate Temple, a wizard and billionaire playboy (o_O), investigates the mysterious murder of his parents while fighting off an invasion of shapeshifting dragons in modern day St Louis. This was pretty fun, but was kinda uneven in the writing. The main character is also a giant dickhead, which was a bit off-putting. I'll probably read more of them.

Annihilation [Southern Reach 1] Scientific exploration expedition completely lose their minds while investigating an inexplicable alien artifact. Mounting evidence suggests that this wasn't an unexpected outcome by their superiors.
I liked this one, but it was pretty damn weird. I read this one because the movie trailer looked interesting - I have no idea how they'd make a movie out of it though, 90% of it is one person's inner monologue.

Paradox Bound Peter Cline - Man from a small town joins up with a strange woman he has obsessed about since he met her as a child, in a quest to find the American Dream, an actual physical object which apparently confers the ability to grant immense power over the hearts and minds of everyone who lives in the USA. Sort of a weird premise, but it's played pretty straight. Entertaining and one-off which is a nice change.

The Last Coin James P Blaylock - I'm not actually sure what this one is about, something with judas' 30 pieces of cursed silver apparently - the prologue was ok, but the first chapter about a dumbass trying to steal his aunt's cats was so painfully stupid I gave up on it.

The Prey of Gods Nicky Drayden - This was pretty much American Gods but in a South African setting. I'm not entirely sure if the black sex murderer goddess is actually the same one in both books. Decent, but not great.

Skysworn [Cradle 4] Will Wight - The much anticipated fight between Lindon and his arch-enemy Jai Long finally happens, only to get completed overshadowed by the disaster kicked off by Jai Daishou's increasingly poor life choices. This one was good fun and continues the high quality of this series, with the only downside being that it seemed a lot like it was cut in half. I preferred the more self contained nature of the earlier books, but I'll read it anyway. This guy has ended up as one of my favorite indy authors.

White Silence [Elizabeth Cage 1] Jodi Taylor - First book of a new series from Taylor - I quite liked her previous series ( Chronicles of St Marys ), and this one pretty much lived up to that quality. The main character has some psychic abilities which she has learned to suppress, but which have made her of interest to a secretive government run hospital, which effectively kidnaps her after her husband's death. Hauntings, ESP, time travel and other hijinks ensure. Only downside was I found the ending to be a bit of a cheap shot. I'll read more of these.

The Murders of Molly Southbourne Tade Thompson - Molly Southborne was born with a very unusual condition - when she bleeds, the blood eventually grows into a perfect copy of her, which while initially friendly, inevitably goes crazy and tries to kill her. This story isn't so much about why this is happening or how to stop it but the reality of living with it. This is a horror book, not a fantasy.
It wasn't the best book of this review lot, but it was one of the most interesting - it made me think about it a lot afterwards. Only downside was it was kind of short.

The Stone in the Skull [Lotus Kingdoms 1] Elizabeth Bear - A massive mechanical automaton and an ex-elite royal guard from a destroyed kingdom travel across the country to deliver a vital message to the Rajni (queen more or less) of a small kingdom that is in a lot more trouble than it knows. This one wasn't bad per se, but I found it kind of boring up until near the end. I probably won't read further books in the series.

Edgedancer Brandon Sanderson - This one caused me a lot of confusion, I thought it was new, so I got it, but then I realized I'd read it, but it got less familiar as it went on. As far as I can tell, the first chapter was part of some other book I'd read ages ago, but it's been done up into a complete book now. In any case, solid Sanderson fare set in the Stormlight world about one of the more unlikely of the newly awakened Knight's Radiant: a young street girl called Lift and her pet Voidbringer ( it claims it's actually a Spren, not a voidbringer, but it would say that wouldn't it ).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The Edgedancer prologue was one of the interludes in Words of Radiance, but the rest is new. Well, sort of, I think the rest is in Arcanum Unbound or something

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I just finished The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins, which a couple of you had mentioned here. I thought it was incredibly well-written and I had no problems with wanting to keep reading, but man, I think I'm just too dumb for this book or something. I mean, I get the overall gist of what is going on, but I completely don't get why. I feel like the book was more written as an exercise in showing one person's idea of what people like this might be like, but I am completely at a loss as to why they are like this, or why I would care, or...I don't know! I'll go into spoiler tags now just so I don't ruin anything for people.
Like, I get that Father is basically a god, maybe even what we consider God (although I don't really think he is meant to be the capital G version), and the 12 kids are kind of gods in their own catalog, and Carolyn even more so because she reads outside hers. But...why? It is clear that Father didn't create everything, he just sort of took over from someone else that also didn't create everything, and now Carolyn is doing the same thing, but there isn't even some sort of grand struggle about any of it. I'm not asking for Lucifer mounting a rebellion or anything like that, but Carolyn literally did all of this because of those deer. Granted, you could easily surmise that Father did that on purpose to set her on the path, but again...why? We didn't even get an, "I'm tired of being in charge, I want to go play with a new toy somewhere else" speech or anything. Or an, "I couldn't just pick a successor, I had to find someone that truly wanted to master all the catalogs, and the only way I could think of was to piss you off by killing some deer, so well done!"

I dunno. I was fascinated by much of what I read, but the connective tissue holding it all together really didn't make a lot of sense to me. And on top of that, even if you're some sort of god-like being, I absolutely despise the whole "I planned all of this down to the tiniest detail, and if one little thing had happened out of place it would have ruined the entire fucking plan" plot device. Not to mention, if you allow that perhaps Father actually planned all of Carolyn's actions before she planned all of hers, that makes it even more ridiculous. Even still, I could let all that go, but I just don't really understand what the point of the whole book even was.

Steve and Erwin were fantastic characters, btw. It's just a shame that they were wrapped up in a book that I just didn't "get" I suppose.

If anyone can give me something I'm missing, I'd love to hear it.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I just finished The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins, which a couple of you had mentioned here. I thought it was incredibly well-written and I had no problems with wanting to keep reading, but man, I think I'm just too dumb for this book or something. I mean, I get the overall gist of what is going on, but I completely don't get why.
Like, I get that Father is basically a god, maybe even what we consider God (although I don't really think he is meant to be the capital G version), and the 12 kids are kind of gods in their own catalog, and Carolyn even more so because she reads outside hers. But...why? It is clear that Father didn't create everything, he just sort of took over from someone else that also didn't create everything, and now Carolyn is doing the same thing, but there isn't even some sort of grand struggle about any of it. I'm not asking for Lucifer mounting a rebellion or anything like that, but Carolyn literally did all of this because of those deer. Granted, you could easily surmise that Father did that on purpose to set her on the path, but again...why? We didn't even get an, "I'm tired of being in charge, I want to go play with a new toy somewhere else" speech or anything. Or an, "I couldn't just pick a successor, I had to find someone that truly wanted to master all the catalogs, and the only way I could think of was to piss you off by killing some deer, so well done!"

If anyone can give me something I'm missing, I'd love to hear it.

Uh, I think you may have missed a chapter or two there somehow.
Literally all of that is answered by Father himself when she gives up and rezzes him.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Uh, I think you may have missed a chapter or two there somehow.
Literally all of that is answered by Father himself when she gives up and rezzes him.
Ok, I suppose I sort of misspoke, and reading back over what I said, I see why that happened. I get that Father was sort of over the whole thing and wanted to go off and start over from scratch, not just picking up the pieces of one someone else created. And I guess he does basically say that. But what I really should have asked (and clearly didn't, now that I look at it) was, why is all of this happening in the first place? I understand that I'm being unclear still, and the response probably is just "because the author wanted it that way" but I still feel like I'm missing some grand motivation for the whole thing. Why does studying all this shit for a couple decades make them virtual gods? Why is Father pretty much God? If it took him 60,000 years or more, Carolyn is going to be ready to take over after 20? Why is Father such a prick? Why does he pretty much turn all of them into sociopaths if they are going to be gaining so much power? Questions like that, and dozens more.

Again, I realize the point of this might have been precisely to make me question all of it, but it left me feeling unfulfilled, if that makes sense? I'm not asking for every little thing to be spelled out in detail, because honestly I love books where much of it is left to your imagination. The Black Company is my favorite series of all time, and he doesn't explain a ton of shit there. But you still get their basic motivations pretty easily, or you get enough of a grasp of the players and events involved to easily fill in your own blanks. And I hate when an author (or movie, those are the worst culprits) shows you the big reveal, and then spends 5 minutes explaining it to the people that were too dumb to catch it. But with this one, I feel like I'm the one that was too dumb, and he never took the time to explain the reveal to me. I feel like there was some grand plan that the author had explaining most of it, but he didn't want to share it with me, or I was too dumb to get it. Probably me being too dumb, but it made what might have been a 5* book feel like only a 3* one. Hopefully that clarifies a little what I'm feeling after finishing this book.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Ok, I suppose I sort of misspoke, and reading back over what I said, I see why that happened. I get that Father was sort of over the whole thing and wanted to go off and start over from scratch, not just picking up the pieces of one someone else created. And I guess he does basically say that. But what I really should have asked (and clearly didn't, now that I look at it) was, why is all of this happening in the first place? I understand that I'm being unclear still, and the response probably is just "because the author wanted it that way" but I still feel like I'm missing some grand motivation for the whole thing. Why does studying all this shit for a couple decades make them virtual gods? Why is Father pretty much God? If it took him 60,000 years or more, Carolyn is going to be ready to take over after 20? Why is Father such a prick? Why does he pretty much turn all of them into sociopaths if they are going to be gaining so much power? Questions like that, and dozens more.

Father is basically a gigantic dick, you don't get to be absolute ruler of the universe by being a nice guy.

The problem with Father leaving to create his own universe where he is the boss, is that currently, he's the only thing stopping the members of his 'court' from destroying the world or killing everyone.

He admits he is fond of the world and doesn't want it destroyed, so he's basically running Carolyn through the school of hard knocks, to give her the drive to gather enough power to kill him, and make her tough enough to be able to keep the court under control.

The rest of them are there mostly to provide her with motivation, particularly David, who Father set up to be her nemesis. David was originally a nice guy and supposed to take over, but he ended up too weak every time Father tried to train him up - Carolyn is a sociopath because she was the villain originally, but this go around Father decided to make her the hero instead.

For the general idea on accelerated timeframe it's that while he took ages to learn everything, he wrote it all down for them and taught it to them. As for why the power works like it does, I guess that boils down to something you just have to accept as the background of the book, like 'magic is real' or whatever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Father is basically a gigantic dick, you don't get to be absolute ruler of the universe by being a nice guy.

The problem with Father leaving to create his own universe where he is the boss, is that currently, he's the only thing stopping the members of his 'court' from destroying the world or killing everyone.

He admits he is fond of the world and doesn't want it destroyed, so he's basically running Carolyn through the school of hard knocks, to give her the drive to gather enough power to kill him, and make her tough enough to be able to keep the court under control.

The rest of them are there mostly to provide her with motivation, particularly David, who Father set up to be her nemesis. David was originally a nice guy and supposed to take over, but he ended up too weak every time Father tried to train him up - Carolyn is a sociopath because she was the villain originally, but this go around Father decided to make her the hero instead.

For the general idea on accelerated timeframe it's that while he took ages to learn everything, he wrote it all down for them and taught it to them. As for why the power works like it does, I guess that boils down to something you just have to accept as the background of the book, like 'magic is real' or whatever.
So essentially I'm not smart enough :p

Nah, I caught most of that, I just wasn't really clear on why for a lot of it, but what you said makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to spell it out for me.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Needed a new audio book came here for ideas and decided to give mount char a try, so far so good but the lady reading sound a kind of like a talk to text device, not sure if that is intentional or not. She is still way better than the bitch who read the shalan parts of oathbringer, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Looking for a recommendation (or confirmation): Recently decided to just stop reading shit articles on my phone all the time and actually begin reading, and burning through the backlog of books I have put away over the last few years. I'm currently finishing up Dune and I will probably do books #2 & #3 before moving to a new series. The question is, what series should that be? I have been doing a little reading around and The Stormlight Archive from Sanderson and Kingkiller Chronicles from Rothfuss.

Recommendations? I usually would prefer Sci-fi or Spy thrillers, but I am kinda debating on starting a fantasy series. I wanna stay away from YA as well. Currently leaning starting The Way of Kings.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Stormlight is awesome, I also really like r Scott bakker's the prince of nothing series, for sci-fi, have you read the kovaks books by Richard k Morgan or the expanse books by James s.a. corey?