What did you just read?

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
I read Wool a while ago, and just finished plowing through the last two, Shift and Dust:

Dust (Silo, #3) by Hugh Howey ??" Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

They're an all around great read, though IMO the story ended/wrapped up a little too quickly. The ending felt somewhat rushed, but other than that the series is well worth reading. It's a bit depressing at times (most of the time, heh) so I'm looking forward to moving onto something with broadswords and/or interstellar travel to lighten it back up.
I am only 10 pages into the first book atm but I would like to know if this guy is going to force feed me long pointless details about every little fucking thing for the rest of the series. Page 1 "going up old stairs". Page 5 "STAIRS SO OLD THEY CREEK WITH THE PAIN OF 1000 DYING SUNS!".

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
In the last week I readThe Broken Empireseries by Mark Lawrence which was interesting but the needed another pass by a skilled editor/proof reader. The world was similar to Steven Kings Dark Tower series.

I just finishedBlood Songby Anthony Ryan and I felt it's one of the best newish fantasy series I've read. Being his debut book afaik, it really impressed me.

Mur_sl

shitlord
Just read the first book in the Black Company series, based on recommendations from you guys. Nice read, finished last night, and just down load the second this morning.

Needless

Toe Sucker
In the last week I readThe Broken Empireseries by Mark Lawrence which was interesting but the needed another pass by a skilled editor/proof reader. The world was similar to Steven Kings Dark Tower series.

I just finishedBlood Songby Anthony Ryan and I felt it's one of the best newish fantasy series I've read. Being his debut book afaik, it really impressed me.
I was looking into this book awhile back but didn't hear much on it. I think i'll try it out after I finish the harry potter series I just started lol

Quite the difference in writing when you go from A Dance With Dragons immediately to harry potter and the sorcerers stone hah, but I wanted to go back and read this series anyway

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, saw it listed as a favourite a lot recently so decided to give it a go. Unfortunately it isn't very good, in fact I've been sitting at 90%+ for over a week and feel no interest in spending another 15 minutes to find out what happens.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Year Zeroby Rob Reid.

Not a bad quick easy SciFi read to break up some of the bigger series I'm going through. Basically the universe pirates all the music on earth and copyright rules require they pay the earth like 80% of all assets of the universe. So some aliens decide they want to blow up the earth instead of paying.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
I just finished theFarseer Trilogyby Robin Hobb. The first book was fairly good but unfortunately it fell off rather fast from there. The second book it seemed she needed to hit every major character with stupidity so the plot would work. The third book continued as the second but she felt she needed to repeat her self often and fill pad the pages with pointless information. The ending of the series was condensed into 20 pages or so which felt rather anticlimactic.

I did like the magic and the world for the most part. She has several other series that take place in the same world but I doubt I'll read them due to her failure with this one.

Goonsquad Officer
They're an all around great read, though IMO the story ended/wrapped up a little too quickly.
I think the author was tired of writing them and didn't want to invent filler to complete his arc. I seem to remember reading some where that he was bummed out to put his Molly Fyde books on super back burner because of his wool success.

I really liked his wool books though. Cool to see him end it while also letting other authors just go nuts in his setting.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Kind of disappointing to hear, but I've read similar reviews from multiple people.
It isn't bad, just not a good. Still worth reading, and it isn't long. Can read that book in an evening or two.

Just re-read Beyond Civilization by Daniel Quinn. That guy.... So good.

Ishmael was great. Story of B is probably my all-time favorite book and My Ishmael I'd regard as one of the very best books you can ever give to someone from age 12ish as their first semi-serious book. No solutions given, but really kicks your mind in compared to its normal state of "well this society must be the right one right? Because we evolved into it?". I regard the thoughts you get in your head after reading his books as the real world equivalent of taking the red pill from the Matrix. Once you start thinking like that, there is no going back.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm just finishing up this:

American Gods (American Gods, #1) by Neil Gaiman ??" Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Freakin' great read. Not at all what I expected.
You must have missed out when that was the Book of the Month last year at some point. There should be a thread on it in the archives then, if you want to read it. Spoiler alert, it bored the fuck out of me. But I don't expect people to share my opinions either, so I'm sure a lot of other people will enjoy it, and many in that thread did I believe (fuck, I don't know now, I'm getting old).

Seventh

Golden Squire
You must have missed out when that was the Book of the Month last year at some point. There should be a thread on it in the archives then, if you want to read it. Spoiler alert, it bored the fuck out of me. But I don't expect people to share my opinions either, so I'm sure a lot of other people will enjoy it, and many in that thread did I believe (fuck, I don't know now, I'm getting old).
Yeah, I actually picked it up because I found it in old BOTMs. Avoiding the thread because I have about 10% to go and don't want to spoiler it. To each their own and all, I think it's a pretty unique read and am enjoying the hell out of it. I just came off two consecutive Dan Simmons books, so this was a pretty refreshing change of pace.

Related: I wish kindles had fucking page numbers, because "I have 10% to go" will never sound right to me.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Related: I wish kindles had fucking page numbers, because "I have 10% to go" will never sound right to me.
Haha yeah, I've had many discussions about that with a friend. The worst is not really knowing how long a book is until you've read a bit and see how far you are percentage-wise. I know the little dots under the title on the home page are supposed to give relative length, but that doesn't always give a good comparison. I read the third Warded Man book, not realizing it must be like 700 fucking pages or some shit, and hating it almost the entire way. If I had been holding the actual huge book in my hand, I might have just quit.

They need to come up with some sort of word/character count method of approximating pages or something. Calibre does it for me, but it doesn't carry over to the Kindle in any way so it is essentially non-existent since I don't go back and look at Calibre once it is on my Kindle.

On the subject of liking books, you and I clearly like a lot of the same types of books (Black Company 4 life yo!), so it just goes to show that everyone still has varying tastes on particular books. Knowing you like some of the same types I'd probably be more likely to try something that you recommended, but I still might not like it. Doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong, just different. This has been your PSA message for today.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Parasiteby Mira Grant.

I enjoyed her previous series about zombies and politics and news and stuff, Newsflesh. This one felt a lot more predictable and the cliffhanger "surprise" ending was very predictable. I'll read the follow ups eventually when they are published, but I'm in no rush. The whole thing feels fairly rehashed from the other series. Very unique set up to get to a pretty familiar story.

If you are interested in reading her books I'd actually say to start with this one. NewsFlesh won't feel like a sort of rehash after this, but I can't promise the opposite won't be true.

edit: To be fair the sequels to Parasite could go in a very different direction and become a lot of fun. She set it up so it can keep following her previous path or go more military/global and it could be awesome to see how she handles that kind of book.