What did you just read?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I'm still pissed that Banks is dead. Best of the modern generation at worldbuilding without any question.
I just found out about Banks recently. I was pretty bumed when i googled him to find out more and learned of his fight with Cancer ;(

velk

Trakanon Raider
You'll always be disappointed after Banks ... unless you have more Banks (or Herbert).
Regarding the Expanse, I was sure there were only 3 big books. Guess there's 5 with 5 more planned. FUCK. I hate starting unfinished series, there's an endless supply of completed books.
They seem pretty self contained though, more like different stories in the same setting.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Expanse Spoiler ahead
I only care about that alien evolving on Venus, so if he could focus on that it would be great. You get like 10% of each book about that and the rest is humans fucking around

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The protomolecule on venus ran its course and there is nothing left there. Its whole purpose was to generate the gate to connect it to the rest of the network. The next book I think is going to start delving a bit more into whatever it is that killed off the makers of the proto molecule.

Toga

Trakanon Raider
Lives of Tao series by Wesley Chu was a really fun read. Think X-Files meets James Bond meets Alien Nation.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Recently finished Ubik and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, probably gonna start The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch soon. Really been on a classic sci-fi writers kick lately after getting into Harlan Ellison, hoping to find more.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Just finished off the first three of The Black Company by Glen Cook. I can't remember all the folks who recommended this series, but thank you very much. I'm getting ready to start The Books of the South, and I've got the rest of the series lined up, too.

Has anyone read any of his other books... Garrett P.I. or any others?

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Reading the Riyria books. Perfect light fun reading for the summer.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Just finished off the first three of The Black Company by Glen Cook. I can't remember all the folks who recommended this series, but thank you very much. I'm getting ready to start The Books of the South, and I've got the rest of the series lined up, too.

Has anyone read any of his other books... Garrett P.I. or any others?
No only read all the Black Company stuff. If you read the other stuff let us know how it is.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The Garrett Files are great for the first few books, like really fun to read and fairly original, then they get pretty repetitive, but they are still worth a read here and there. I can't say how they would be all in a row, more stuff would make sense probably, but more stuff would get old really fast too.

Some of his other books like Starfishers and such didn't really catch my attention and I've only read a couple. The Dread Empire stuff is ok, but clearly inferior to The Black Company (my favorite books of all time btw), so you might want to hold off/skip those for awhile unless you're dying for something to read. There are a lot better books than those that do much the same thing.

Instrumentalities of the Night I could only read the first book, and it was absolutely horrible. Imagine a history book telling you the geographical, religious, and political histories of a country for the last hundreds (maybe thousands) of years. If it were one you were familiar with, like say something in the Middle East just as an example, it would be hard enough for you to follow even if you've picked up some of it over the years. Now replace that with an entirely fictional world and fictional people. Imagine that goes on for hundreds of pages. That is the first half of the first book. It sort of picked up a little from there because it actually started to focus on (still too many) characters, but it was still atrocious. Maybe the next books did away with the "world building" and got better, and I'm sure some people love that level of detail for some reason, but fuck if I'm going to ever try. And this is coming from someone that just said some of his other books are my absolute favorite. I was so disappointed by that book. The Black Company is my favorite because it is so sparse on detail that you have to fill almost everything in with your own imagination, and it works perfectly. Instrumentalities is the exact opposite, where not a single thing is left to your imagination, and it is practically like taking a college history course on a fictional world. Fuck that book right in the ass.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
After seeing some positive posts in this thread I picked up and just finished Hamiltons Commonwealth books. Pretty damn long, but overall a good strong read. Started in on the Void series now despite a couple of not so hot mentions. I figure they've got to have some coolness to them with the way he writes.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I liked Night's Dawn more than Commonwealth/Void. It's a slow start but overall, it's pretty awesome.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
After I read my current stuff, I'm looking to start another fantasy series. Are the Malazan and Chronicles of the Black Company series' decent? Which one should I read first?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Read the first three Black Company books before anything else. Those are by far the best books of that series. At that point you will know if you want to read the other seven. Then take a little break and read something else, to cleanse your palate, because if you read Malazan right afterward you might get a little burnt out with twenty books (about twelve to fifteen of which are pretty fucking huge) all in the same genre, and one even influenced greatly by the other.

They are both definitely worth reading, however. I just don't know how you feel about so much of the same type all at once. And Malazan is "better" in some ways, like a bit more of a modern writing style for one, and a few of the BC ones get a little mediocre in the last half, but overall I think you can't do any better than the first three Black Company. To me, an admitted fanboi, they are "perfect in every way."

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I always thought Black Company had better small group dynamics and Malazan had better over world scope. You can get through the Black Company books extremely quick compared to Malazan, but there is a ton of material.

I blew through it all without breaking from Fantasy, but my wife couldn't.