What did you just read?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Short timers / Phantom Blooper sound great, I wonder why they never got kindle editions? Also I always remembered the m79 as a dooper :emoji_laughing:

Last week I was reading about this stuff: Siege of Khe Sanh and Hill 881S and watching SherrifEli on twitch do a khe sahn scenario in arma, so I'm really in the mood for something like that.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Just started the audio book of The Mercenary Code by Emmet Moss. Pretty solid so far, the reviews were great and doesn't hurt that Simon Vance is the voice actor.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
A friend gave me some, and I discovered that I could plug my kindle in to PC. I had never looked very closely at the plug-into-the-wall thing.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of Kindle, fuck that thing. I use the Kobo Clara because converting epubs to mobi or kindle faggy format always results in shit.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of Kindle, fuck that thing. I use the Kobo Clara because converting epubs to mobi or kindle faggy format always results in shit.
This isn't really true in 2021 though. In 2009-2015 and shit the conversions sucked hard. I've never had a problem with them in recent years.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This isn't really true in 2021 though. In 2009-2015 and shit the conversions sucked hard. I've never had a problem with them in recent years.
I switched last year because of formatting issues I had.

yersinia

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just finished Apocalypse Never by Michael Schellenberg, Fixed by Mollie Hemingway, and working on The Real Anthony Fauci by Robert F. Kennedy (hint, really bombastic first chapter but the Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine chapters are stunning)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The Diary of Samuel Pepys.

This was actually really cool. Samuel Pepys was a Middle Class/Upper Middle Class guy who lived in London during the 17th century. He recorded an extremely detailed diary over the course of approximately 10 years of his life.

It's just very human. He bitched about current events of the time. Experienced the Great Fire of London, the death of Oliver Cromwell, the Great Plague of London and a lot of other historical events we consider major today. He talks about his issues advancing and getting promoted at the office. Food he ate, whores he banged and tried to keep secret from his wife. Old Sam liked picking up theatre actresses at the pub a lot.

Time is a flat circle and all that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I switched last year because of formatting issues I had.
Weird. Other than old shit that is in something like html format, I haven't had a problem in years either. Sometime a litrpg book with tons of fucking charts will look like shit for those particular charts, but I expect that simply due to the genre. Otherwise, I can't remember the last time a newish book didn't convert perfectly. I'm assuming you use Calibre as well.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Weird. Other than old shit that is in something like html format, I haven't had a problem in years either. Sometime a litrpg book with tons of fucking charts will look like shit for those particular charts, but I expect that simply due to the genre. Otherwise, I can't remember the last time a newish book didn't convert perfectly. I'm assuming you use Calibre as well.
Yeah, Calibre for conversions. It may be the sources of where I get my books. Anyway, I am pretty happy with my Kobo Clara, and like it much more than my paperwhite formatting issues notwithstanding.

velk

Trakanon Raider

One exception I find to this - PDF format ebooks - if they have anything other than the most basic formatting they turn out fucked in every conversion tool I have tried.

• 1Solidarity

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Just started the audio book of The Mercenary Code by Emmet Moss. Pretty solid so far, the reviews were great and doesn't hurt that Simon Vance is the voice actor.
Finished Book 1 and immediately bought Book 2, I am hooked on this trilogy.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I finished Fallout, book 13? of the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson. It was fine and enjoyable for what it was, but aside from the very end it was largely a setup book for the last 2 books in the series. If those are still on pace, which I'd imagine they are with the way he writes, that means next June and December.

I will say I hope book 14 starts by explaining what happened at the end of book 13, because it's a huge wtf

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Full Moon by Dougal Butler.

Book's about The Who drummer Keith Moon. Written by a Who Roadie who later became Moon's assistant, close friend and confidant. He was often tasked by the rest of the band into trying to keep Keith under control. Not particularly well written and a bit vulgar in places, but if you want rock and rock stories, books don't get much better than this. Moon was completely fucking mental and a full on genuine headcase.

There are better autobiographies/books out there on rock stars, but they aren't as much fun to read.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
One exception I find to this - PDF format ebooks - if they have anything other than the most basic formatting they turn out fucked in every conversion tool I have tried.
Yeah, I should have included that with html. If I can only find something in pdf, I just say fuck it. That's not going to convert well no matter what I try. I even tried the kindle pdf auto-format thing, where you email it to your kindle with convert or something in the title. It has been years since I tried it, so maybe it works now, but I really doubt it.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I just finished the audiobook of book 13 of expeditionary force. It didn’t disappoint. The narrator (RC Bray) is a master of his craft.

• 1Solidarity

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I just finished the audiobook of book 13 of expeditionary force. It didn’t disappoint. The narrator (RC Bray) is a master of his craft.
RC Bray really is great. If anyone here isn't on audiobooks by this point and have tried once or twice and not enjoyed it, just pick up book 1 of this series. RC Bray is reason enough to listen to books, and I've definitely picked up shit I might not have otherwise just because he's narrating it. He's definitely the #1 narrator for me.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
RC Bray really is great. If anyone here isn't on audiobooks by this point and have tried once or twice and not enjoyed it, just pick up book 1 of this series. RC Bray is reason enough to listen to books, and I've definitely picked up shit I might not have otherwise just because he's narrating it. He's definitely the #1 narrator for me.
I mean I really enjoyed book 13 as well but it’s hard to talk about it at all without spoilers. I didn’t see a dedicated thread but I didn’t look very hard.