What game(s) had a final area/boss that ruined the game for you?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Thought this might be an interesting topic. What are things that made you tap out at the 11th hour on finishing a game? Or maybe you slogged through and it just kinda ruined your memories of an otherwise-enjoyable game?

Not too long ago I was playing Romancing Saga 2, and the final boss is so ludicrously difficult that you basically have to remake your entire party and grind for a while just to have a chance, unless you prepared for it from way earlier-on. I got to the final boss a lot sooner than I expected, so it wasn't too bad. If I'd been like, ready to end the game by then only to have to spend another 10 hours trying to defeat the final boss, it would have left the game on a pretty sour note. That gave me the idea for this topic.

I think Final Fantasy 3 (NES) might be an answer for a ton of people. I used save states to get through the final two dungeons on an emulator, which is probably all that saved it.

For me, the worst example I can think of is the final dungeon of Final Fantasy 4: The After Years. That dungeon is longer than the rest of the game combined, and it's just floor after floor of redundant gameplay. If I'd been expecting it and up for a super-long dungeon crawl, it would have been alright, like it was when I replayed the remastered version. However, in the initial version of the game, I thought I was pretty much at the end and was ready to bring the game to a close, only to end up in this dungeon that went on and on with seemingly no end in sight. I think the first time I thought I was at the end, it was only about 20% in at the most, and so on. Also a bunch of the bosses are hard "level check" fights where you'll get annihilated if you aren't strong enough, so having to stop and grind on top of everything else slows things down even more. Absolutely the worst possible dungeon you can do if you're "ready to be done" with the game, or trying to rush to the end. Place drove me absolutely nuts and definitely brought down my previously-good memories of the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
NES had a few. Trojan was probably the easiest video game in history. not a damned thing challenged you.
same with Karnov. Castlevania was boringly easy once you learned that the holy water and the boomerang chumps the entire game. Ganon in Legend Of Zelda was a complete pussy. Bowser in Super Mario wasnt really an issue either. thats not to say all NES games were easy. one of the hardest NES video games for me was Zanac. i had a friend who bought the game. said it was too hard and just gave it to me to fuck with. i was like OK. took me weeks to beat that game. then i kept playing it to find all the hidden secrets. i dont think i ever found all the hidden "free guys" and warp zones.

• 2Seriously?
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think Final Fantasy 3 (NES) might be an answer for a ton of people. I used save states to get through the final two dungeons on an emulator, which is probably all that saved it.
You're talking about the Luneth, Refia, Arc, Ingus game right?

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
You're talking about the Luneth, Refia, Arc, Ingus game right?
They are the canon FF3 party but I think that they are only named in the 3D remake, in the original you name them yourself and are more like faceless warriors of light like in the original.

I also couldn't finish Crystal Tower in the 3D remake.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Of recent games: The House at the Edge of Time for Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I thought it was a decent concept but the dang house is too big and taking a wrong turn with a split up party can be really tough.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
It doesn’t completely ruin the game but the Xen levels of Half-Life are famously mediocre for what is considered one of the greatest games of all time.

• 7Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 7 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Another good example of an underwhelming final level…
The Plane of Time
2003-05-09 18:50:26 - Furor Planedefiler

You have 14 Days. If after that time the Plane is not properly tuned, I am deleting my characters, and cancelling all of my accounts. The rest of my guild will follow suit, as will several other guilds and people that play Everquest.

To be brief, I did not work my ass off, jumping through your idiotic hoops with my friends and guildmates, so I could go to a zone where only groups of 18 could enjoy the content. EVEN if past these initial moronic events I can finally get my entire guild in to raid with me, FUCK YOU GUYS. Seriously, FUCK YOU.

I cannot believe this... right now I'm just so pissed off. I am sitting here in the Plane of Time, and 3/4 of my guild is just sitting around while a group of 18 is repeatedly trying to beat one of the mini ring encounters. Don't you people have ANY FUCKING DECENCY? SMEDLEY WHY DON'T YOU STOP COUNTING YOUR MONEY AND START ISSUING ORDERS?

The tragic irony of creating the ultimate cockblock encounter in the form of the Rathe which requires 80 people to defeat and then to limit encounters in the Plane of Time to 18.

14 Days.... after that this site will change from the most popular EQ fan site on the internet to the most popular World of Warcraft fan site on the internet. I'm done playing ball with you useless fuckers... it's my turn.

Although to be honest in hindsight this might be the most overrated rant in the history of the forums since it is now obvious he is just shilling for his new job at Blizzard.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I think it was Shovelknight that makes you fight all the bosses up to that point in a row. No thanks.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
It doesn’t completely ruin the game but the Xen levels of Half-Life are famously mediocre for what is considered one of the greatest games of all time.

agreed because most of the game is mainly focused on FPS with a small dose of platforming but once you start getting close to Xen the platforming takes up way too much space in the game, and it becomes a slog.

Also agreed with the house at the edge of times because it's pretty lazy to have 2 alternate versions of the same level filled with groups of enemies that have made an immense leap in difficulty from the previous area. and then you have constantly shift between 2 versions of the same area and re-clear the same rooms of new enemies.

Some really disappointing and underwhelming final bosses: Half Life 2, Solasta, Quake, Doom 2.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The only two I can think of are Xenogears and FF12 but I know it has happened on some others in the past.

Xenogears I got to the final boss and I was just very underleveled I guess, I was getting my ass handed to me very hard over and over. And I believe the final save point you’re just stuck, you can’t go grind from there. I eventually gave up and never beat it, and it really made me kind of sour at an otherwise amazing game. It was so awesome at the time.

FF12 I was just getting very tired of playing the game. I got to the save before the final boss and just never got back to it. Mostly I was just tired of playing it and. It invested in the story at all so didn’t care I guess. I still could I guess, I still have the game and the save. I’m pretty sure there’s been a few other games I did this with, FFX I think I did something similar.

Caliane

the meat circus was famously bad.

it wasn't the final, but the water escape of Ori that really pissed me off. the sudden shift into a forced vertical scrolling race. and it auto-saved so you were forced into this new playstyle until you beat it.
its not insanely hard really. its just being forced into it, locked into it, and the change in playstyle.

ME2's ending/bosses were weak.

Guacemelee iirc had one challenge area that just pissed me off, and made me uninstall. Like I would describe most of the game as a 5 or 6 in difficultly. then suddenly this one secret area was a 9 or 10. the rest of the game did not prepare you for the skills you'd need to beat it. Pissed me off, and I never bothered to finish the game.'

Really, the other issue is I've actually finished like 5% of the last 100 games I'ved played in the last 20- years. its not just the final "level or boss" thats disappointing. its the entire last 3rd of the vast majority of games.

something like vamp survivors with a great early hook.. gets needlessly complicated with its unlocks.
Bannerlord/starsector/kenshi and most other sandboxes don't really have complete endgames. they don't transition into full colony/empire building, nor have a real satisiying "you win" scenario.
path of exile, I don't no life nearly enough to grind out the gear required to beat the end bosses.
Many rpgs get a bit lost in the weeds. pathfinder, skyrim, fallout. I kindof PREFER the sandbox elements, and just living in the world. but at the same time, that also means I usually get sidetracked and stop caring about the main stories, and never complete them.
played feanix rising a couple weeks ago, and all side collections just got tedious. killed any momentum or interest in finishing the game, mid Athena zone.

betas and EA, we see devs put all their work into polishing the beginnings of games, which often leaves their finales shit.

divinity OS2, chapter 4.

Last edited:
  • 4Like

Goonsquad Officer
it didn't ruin it, but the end of deadspace 2 boss was tacked on and stupid.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I think every FromSoft Souls-type game has an area that makes me wonder when the game is finally going to be over. Lost Izalith in Dark Souls, Fountainhead Palace in Sekiro, and Crumbling Farum Azula in Elden Ring come to mind.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Oh I remembered one that I did beat and hated. The final boss and ending in Mass Effect 2 was so out of nowhere and stupid and disappointing that I never played any ME after that. The first one’s ending was just epic feeling and felt awesome.

• 1Solidarity

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I finally beat it, but the boss(es) in Doom Eternal made me put the game down for a few days and seriously hampered my enjoyment of the whole experience.

SyZwaWQ9QXBp

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
Zeus in God of War 3. Of course, the developers knew that Zeus was a cunt, so once you actually beat the boss fight, they let you bash his brains in until you get tired

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Zeus in God of War 3. Of course, the developers knew that Zeus was a cunt, so once you actually beat the boss fight, they let you bash his brains in until you get tired
This sounds awesome though?

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
This sounds awesome though?
Hahaha, it was after the fact. But that fight was so miserable on the higher difficulties, it almost ruined the game. This little bit of just letting you rage on a clearly dead enemy was a way to soften the blow.