What game(s) had a final area/boss that ruined the game for you?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Not a final area, but I literally can not stand the Animus bulllshit in any of the Asassians Creed games. Can be trucking along and fully immersed in whatever setting you are in...and BAM...next 20+ mins are walking around some skyscraper building or controlling a different toon looming at computers.

I fucking hate it. They should remove all Animus nonsense from every game.

I thought about making this topic about just areas/bosses in general, not just final areas/bosses. However, it felt like it might be more interesting/focused if it were down to just the final parts of games, since that's the part where we're the most locked-in, the part that'll leave us with our memory of the game. I noticed a fair amount of games that I've played had last parts that were tedious or whatever and made me "glad they're over".

Regardless of all that, it's fine with me if people talk about non-final sections of games too.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Riovanes Castle. If you've played the game, you know. One of the hardest boss fights in the game (where your MC has to go one-on-one with an overpowered foe) right after the game tricks you into saving past a point where you can't leave the castle. If you aren't already prepared for the fight going in, you're hard-locked. I had to start the whole game over at that point and I suspect a ton of other people did too, as that fight is so much harder than everything prior to it. Truly a "what were they thinking" moment in what is otherwise one of the best games I've ever played. Making things worse, this is about 75% of the way through the game, so you're losing potentially dozens of hours. At least having to replay the game isn't exactly the worst punishment in the world.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1: I found the whole Mechonis section (maybe like, the last 20% of the game?) to be extremely tedious and dull. It was just fight after fight with enemies that kept ramping up in level faster than I could keep up. So I stopped and grinded...a lot, and at that point just wanted the game to end after enjoying it a lot up to that point. Probably my fault for not overleveling earlier in the game or doing more sidequests, I don't know. Was looking forward to Mechonis all game to see what wonders awaited there, and it turned out to just be a dump.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought about making this topic about just areas/bosses in general, not just final areas/bosses. However, it felt like it might be more interesting/focused if it were down to just the final parts of games, since that's the part where we're the most locked-in, the part that'll leave us with our memory of the game. I noticed a fair amount of games that I've played had last parts that were tedious or whatever and made me "glad they're over".

Regardless of all that, it's fine with me if people talk about non-final sections of games too.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Riovanes Castle. If you've played the game, you know. One of the hardest boss fights in the game (where your MC has to go one-on-one with an overpowered foe) right after the game tricks you into saving past a point where you can't leave the castle. If you aren't already prepared for the fight going in, you're hard-locked. I had to start the whole game over at that point and I suspect a ton of other people did too, as that fight is so much harder than everything prior to it. Truly a "what were they thinking" moment in what is otherwise one of the best games I've ever played. Making things worse, this is about 75% of the way through the game, so you're losing potentially dozens of hours. At least having to replay the game isn't exactly the worst punishment in the world.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1: I found the whole Mechonis section (maybe like, the last 20% of the game?) to be extremely tedious and dull. It was just fight after fight with enemies that kept ramping up in level faster than I could keep up. So I stopped and grinded...a lot, and at that point just wanted the game to end after enjoying it a lot up to that point. Probably my fault for not overleveling earlier in the game or doing more sidequests, I don't know. Was looking forward to Mechonis all game to see what wonders awaited there, and it turned out to just be a dump.
I think one of my main issues are that some games have such awful areas that I quit out of spite and never even bother playing it enough to finish it.

When I think about how long I've been gaming and how long it's been my hobby, I can't believe how few games I've actually seen from beginning to end because my tolerance level of playing a game I no longer enjoys is very low.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Demon of Hatred from Sekiro. Fuck everything about it

Is that the toughest boss? (Aside from the final boss of course)

Not talking about Sekiro, but one thing I can't stand is when the final boss of a game is astronomically harder than everything before it.

FFX - Sin and Braska's Final Aeon both have HP in the 150k+ range, when bosses before that point topped out at like 40k. It's lucky it's such a great game that most people won't run into problems here.

Octopath Traveler - Never played this myself, but I heard the final boss is way above the rest of the game and requires all eight characters to be leveled-up (most people will only level the ones they've been using).

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 - Final boss was stupidly tedious and took me a couple hours to take down because I only had the second best weapons. A tactics game boss having huge regen is something that can go away forever.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How has nobody mentioned ME3 yet? Or did I just miss it? One of the worst endings in gaming history, especially after all the build-up to that point with the prior games and after what was a fairly decent game to that point (Kai Leng being the only major weakpoint).
Played ME Legendary Edition. Choice of endings was excellent. Assume must have been fixed from earlier editions?

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Fallout 4. Not really a boss fight, but once you find out what's going on at the institute I couldn't keep playing. I can't think of a worse direction they could have went with the story.

Remnant from the ashes dlc. The base game was incredible, the dlc and last boss was an insult to the first game and I never beat it and have no desire to.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Only one stands out to me and its a mix between the two.

In all of the FROM games, Sekiro's final boss fight with Ishin is hands down the best one they have ever done. The lead up to the boss fight is a gauntlet of the various enemy types you fought earlier in the game. Much of it can be avoided but it astounded me at how shitty I was at some of the enemies like the Seven Spear and one armed ninjas even after getting through the entire game.

As a child playing Xenogears the final boss having a 20 minute anime cutscene you couldn't skip into a 30+ minute boss fight that I lost like 5 times was pretty lol. But I just walked away after the first time. Living in rural Oregon before the torrent/high speed internet age made anime really rare to experience so it was still pretty cool to see it in a game like that back then.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Only one stands out to me and its a mix between the two.

In all of the FROM games, Sekiro's final boss fight with Ishin is hands down the best one they have ever done. The lead up to the boss fight is a gauntlet of the various enemy types you fought earlier in the game. Much of it can be avoided but it astounded me at how shitty I was at some of the enemies like the Seven Spear and one armed ninjas even after getting through the entire game.

As a child playing Xenogears the final boss having a 20 minute anime cutscene you couldn't skip into a 30+ minute boss fight that I lost like 5 times was pretty lol. But I just walked away after the first time. Living in rural Oregon before the torrent/high speed internet age made anime really rare to experience so it was still pretty cool to see it in a game like that back then.

Yeah I have a ton of nostalgia for Xenogears. Was nothing else like it at the time, at least readily available to me. The final boss fight is interesting because it's significantly easier if you take out the four supports (Metatron, etc) before the core, but doing that also saps your resources for the core. So what usually ends up happening is people have to choose how many supports to take out. IIRC there's one in particular that you can leave up because its power isn't all that bad.

If someone has all the uber gear from Duneman's Isle or w/e, I think that fully-powered Deus with no supports down could also function as its own optional uberboss too.

Probably one of the better-designed RPG final battles out there, in spite of the annoyances before it.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
THIS FUCKING RACE completely ruined Mad Max for me. And I loved that game. I thought it was such a fun gem until this buggy, unpolished piece-of-shit race. I'm not exactly sure why I had so much trouble with it - something to do with the retarded car physics that otherwise didn't bother me and also getting this far into the game very quickly so no patches.

The level of thunderpoon upgrade completely determines how bad this is, imo. It was a tough race but I had enough of those to take him out; trying anything else was an exercise in futility.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
THIS FUCKING RACE completely ruined Mad Max for me. And I loved that game. I thought it was such a fun gem until this buggy, unpolished piece-of-shit race. I'm not exactly sure why I had so much trouble with it - something to do with the retarded car physics that otherwise didn't bother me and also getting this far into the game very quickly so no patches.

A race mission is what killed a couple games for me.

Saint's Row 1: The only one of the original four that I didn't finish, and it's because halfway through there's a race mission that just Did. Not. Work. I couldn't finish it no matter how many tries I threw at it. No clue what the issue was.

Conker's Bad Fur Day: When I played the XBox remaster, the lava race stage seemed impossible, and I failed out of it numerous times before giving up. Weird thing is, on the N64 I didn't have any issue with that stage. Some control quirk, maybe.

GTA San Andreas: The flight stages late in the game where you had to go through rings. Maybe my PS2 controller was getting old or something but those planes were nearly impossible to control. Much later I gave the game another try (on PS3 I think) and boosted my flight skill to max with a code. Suddenly the planes were actually controllable and I was able to beat the game. Sad thing is, those missions are like 80% of the way through the game, right before the Las Vegas equivalent. Pisses me off thinking about the dozens of hours I spent playing SA on PS2 over a couple months only to not be able to see the last area of the game.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I ruined your mom last night. Whatdya think about that!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 1 users

Goonsquad Officer
Fallout 4. Not really a boss fight, but once you find out what's going on at the institute I couldn't keep playing. I can't think of a worse direction they could have went with the story.

Remnant from the ashes dlc. The base game was incredible, the dlc and last boss was an insult to the first game and I never beat it and have no desire to.
Yea I wanted the institute people to have no idea that their robots were abduction murder monsters. Like another misguided layer. But no. Sociopaths

• 1Like

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
While not a "Final" area, the water temple in Ocarina of Time made me quit playing for about a month before I built up enough thick skin to deal with the aggravation of not making any progress for long enough to stumble into the solution. This was back before guides and walkthroughs were plentiful in the late 90's.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
While not a "Final" area, the water temple in Ocarina of Time made me quit playing for about a month before I built up enough thick skin to deal with the aggravation of not making any progress for long enough to stumble into the solution. This was back before guides and walkthroughs were plentiful in the late 90's.

That place was tough for me to get through too. I was much more dedicated in 99 so I finished it eventually through trial and error.

A few years later they released OoT Master Quest on the Gamecube which remixed OoT's dungeons quite a bit (probably other stuff too, can't remember). The funny thing is, while a lot of the dungeons got tougher, the Water Temple in particular is super-easy in Master Quest. I think it was like five minutes long.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Of recent games: The House at the Edge of Time for Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I thought it was a decent concept but the dang house is too big and taking a wrong turn with a split up party can be really tough.
On launch before that shit got patched a bunch it was the most super of aids. It really ruined the game for me

Break

That place was tough for me to get through too. I was much more dedicated in 99 so I finished it eventually through trial and error.

A few years later they released OoT Master Quest on the Gamecube which remixed OoT's dungeons quite a bit (probably other stuff too, can't remember). The funny thing is, while a lot of the dungeons got tougher, the Water Temple in particular is super-easy in Master Quest. I think it was like five minutes long.
Yeah I was talking to a classmate during physics or chemistry class and they mentioned they were stuck at water temple too. That was all the motivation I needed to plumb the depths of that dolphin pee hole and finally beat it, just to prove I was better at the Nintendo.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Talos

Yes, that was hell. I remember asking someone at school how to do it and he just laughed at me.

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That's hilarious. Last time I went out with a girl, it was someone I met at a game convention and we bonded over discussing Zelda dungeons. She loved Wind Waker and Ocarina's dungeons the most, I sung the praises of LTTP.

On our date I was playing different Zelda dungeon themes in the car, like the Wind Temple from Wind Waker, and the Forest Temple from OoT. We mostly drove around doing that and chatting.

By the end of it I realized we were better as buds than anything else, especially considering I'm like 12 years older than her. We still text every so often but that's about it. Was still really cool to meet a girl who "gets" Zelda and its dungeons. Too bad she isn't a bit older. Actually, too bad I'm not a bit younger. Being a decrepit 39 year old whose body aches for most of the day sucks.

One topic we got into a bit: Favorite Zelda dungeon?

Mine's the Forest Temple from OoT. The music there, and the setting/look, are all mystical. None of the later Zelda games have had any dungeons that put me in awe like that one did. Especially in 1999. This was a few months before EQ, and 3D environments were still this completely new and novel thing to me.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Probably already been posted but

1666660786482.png

• 2Like