What is all this "gluten-free" shit?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Follow up to my GMO/Monsanto thread!

All these gluten-free obsessives are just following a trend right? This shit is entirely self-diagnosed and mis-diagnosed right? Why should anyone who isn't nearly dead from a previous encounter with gluten care about this nonsense?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
My understanding, and I am absolutely no expert, is that with most things consuming gluten in large quantities is unhealthy. However, a normal amount is perfectly fine. I read a pretty good article on it not long ago, and that was the doctor's stance on it. If I feel like not being lazy I will see if I can track it down.

Vardisk_sl

shitlord
Most of it is self-diagnosed and mis-diagnosed, by idiots and hipsters that think its trendy. However, for people with a legitimate gluten allergy/interolerance, its pretty bad. If they eat too much gluten, their intestines will shed their protective internal mucus barrier, then become infected, then become so swollen that food cannot pass through (a dull, lasting pain in the abdomen), which causes pressure to build up (intense, sharp pain that can last hours - often misdiagnosed as your appendix exploding), until finally their intestines split open (horrific pain, hol shit I'm gonna die), spill their contents out inside their body cavity, causing a massive infection (nausea, delirium, extremely high temperature) that can kill within hours.

Troll_sl

shitlord
A small percentage of the population has a gluten allergy and it can be really hard for them to buy food. A large percentage of the population are pretentious d-bags that latch onto any diet fad that comes their way.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A small percentage of the population has a gluten allergy and it can be really hard for them to buy food. A large percentage of the population are pretentious d-bags that latch onto any diet fad that comes their way.
Exactly. You eat Gluten free food because its a health allergy for you, like peanuts or dairy not because it is healthier or better.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
My mom is allergic to it but she is allergic to pretty much anything except like 4 foods. She tries to diagnose me with it all the time and I'm like cut it outttt. My little brother gets headaches when he eats it. I know most people aren't allergic to it and I'll eat it all the time but I'm pretty positive cutting a lot of it out of your diet has great benefits from friends I've seen do it

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My mom is allergic to it but she is allergic to pretty much anything except like 4 foods. She tries to diagnose me with it all the time and I'm like cut it outttt. My little brother gets headaches when he eats it. I know most people aren't allergic to it and I'll eat it all the time but I'm pretty positive cutting a lot of it out of your diet has great benefits from friends I've seen do it
Thank fuck someone came in here and dropped the hard science.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm one of the poor assholes with Celiacs diagnosed and "If they eat too much gluten, their intestines will shed their protective internal mucus barrier, then become infected, then become so swollen that food cannot pass through (a dull, lasting pain in the abdomen), which causes pressure to build up (intense, sharp pain that can last hours - often misdiagnosed as your appendix exploding), until finally their intestines split open (horrific pain, hol shit I'm gonna die), spill their contents out inside their body cavity, causing a massive infection (nausea, delirium, extremely high temperature) that can kill within hours. " is a fairly accurate assumption if I fuck up. It is the equivelant of Major Payne breaking the guys finger to take his mind off whatever happened to the guys leg.

On behalf of the douchebags that are just trend setting, thank you for driving the cost of already hard to find/pricey food up to be a dick.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
My question is this, are people just now in the last 5 years becoming alergic to it, or has this always been the case and they just had to watch what they eat? There is no way this shit would fly 50 years + ago.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
I guess people died of it 50+ years and others were like "welp, he didn't pray hard ennough !".

On behalf of the douchebags that are just trend setting, thank you for driving the cost of already hard to find/pricey food up to be a dick
Isn't there more choice now that it's a trendy thing ? I would have thought the prices would go down too.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I dated a girl that had gluten allergies and she almost died one night because we had cheese dip at a Mexican restaurant. They had mixed in flour to thicken it up, Keep in mind we ate this AFTER they told us it was gluten-free.

It was almost impossible to eat anywhere with her.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Because it was such a small subset of people (Gluten isn't even on the list of major allergens) and other factors it kinda just flew under the radar. Even the major allergens haven't been around for as long as people think. The fact that they are discussed and advertised so much people assumed it's always been common knowledge for a long time.

But no, there really is no reason to avoid gluten (unless you're a paleo or however you spell it fag) unless you have the actual allergy to it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There are a lot more people who just don't sit well with gluten and it's not Celiac. They just self diagnose trendy shit now, in the past it was just like lactards: "well, guess I better just eat steak and potatoes again!"

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
My mom was diagnosed with some strange food poisoning a while back that triggered gluten issues. Only by eating gluten-free stuff for a while was she able to overcome whatever bacteria set it off, but she said it was rough. She still maintains a couple gluten-free meals in her recipe book, since they seem to work well with her system.

Cybsled

Some people have celiac disease (which is an intolerance), but some people can actually get anaphylaxis from gluten/wheat and die w/o medical treatment. There is also a rare form of life threatening anaphylaxis that only manifests itself after you exercise within 1-3 hrs of eating gluten. That one is fucking scary because said person could literally have 0 symptoms with gluten otherwise, then suddenly have it kick in while they work out/go for a jog/etc.

Malice_sl

shitlord
Both my mother and sister are gluten-intolerant, both have celiac. So whenever some hipster asks for gluten-free food I just roll my eyes. The reason it's coming up a lot lately is that up until about fifteen-twenty years ago there was really no way of diagnosing gluten intolerance, the best/only test was to stop eating gluten for a week or two and see if you felt better. Nowdays they can do biopsies and shit like that to test. But now that they can diagnose it, tons of studies are popping up questioning whether gluten is good for you or not. Bottom line is nothing points to that being the case.

Tl;dr: Gluten-free is the new organic.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So basically, if some hippie starts going on about having a gluten allergy, I should call bullshit and stuff their mouth full of wonder bread. Then when they don't die I will look superior to them!