What Made EQ Great? Tell your stories to a filthy casual

Xevy

Log Wizard
I once watched as an entire guild got hacked by somebody. The #2 guild on our server, in fact. So I watched the person that hacked them dual box all these dudes in the Bazaar, walk them to a wall, and sit them down against it. I just watched all the transactions and figured, "Holy shit. This is happening."

So then I alert my brother, who had several hundred thousand plat at the time, that shit's about to get real. With his blessing he tells me to buy anything that's worth it. So basically I got a pre-nerf CoS, AoN, fucking Sleeper's Tomb bard mask, and all sorts of shit for like a total of maybe 75k plat instead of the 500k+ it was worth.

I helped the guild find the guy who they then reported in game as well as IP tracked from their forums to do go knows what to. The GM's made my brother give everything back and gave him back his money except for the AoN, which they determined was allowable for him to buy since it still dropped and they weren't completely uncommon. It was pretty awesome.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
So if anyone else played on Solusek Ro, you'd know it was the unofficial European server. Basically every day was a slugfest between American and European guilds to fight over raid spawns.

It got so intense that both sides resorted to hacking to protect spawns.

I present to you, the story of TehEuroSlaya:

rrr_img_41311.jpg

rrr_img_41312.jpg
rrr_img_41313.jpg
rrr_img_41314.jpg
rrr_img_41315.jpg
rrr_img_41316.jpg

Hah.

lUNcjdE.jpg

You really don't get such good server drama nowadays. Hell, I actually have these images saved from a forum that was dedicated just for people on our server to argue, fight, and laugh over server drama.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
best story i have is me and a friend of mine named redraider (a warrior) were grouping together and a GM showed up and gave redraider an item and just said "you're welcome." turned out it was an executioner's blade from veeshan's peak, before anyone had even been in the zone (this was like a month or two after kunark was released). i guess the GM was quitting or being fired or something but holy hell did my friend wreck shit with that weapon. never did find out why he gave it to my friend, and i don't think my friend ever asked.
smile.png

Drade

Lord Nagafen Raider
Solrorage was so much fun drama. My guild at the time of those Theeuroslaya pics was competing with Eye of Mordor for VT spawns, so we found it rather comical.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Solrorage was so much fun drama. My guild at the time of those Theeuroslaya pics was competing with Eye of Mordor for VT spawns, so we found it rather comical.
I was in your guild
wink.png

I remember they accused our guild of doing it since we were in direct competition.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh shit, teekey has a boyfriend.!
Hah, I doubt he knows who I am. If I remember correctly though, his wife was the guild leader of Gathered Might? Might be wrong on that. I just remember his name, because I always thought it was a cool name.

And you doubted I played EverQuest, rolx. Shame on you.

Edit: Also, I'm fairly certain that mkopec (who you quoted in your signature) also played on Solusek Ro.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Vanilla Everquest is the only game that has inspired murderous feelings of hatred towards an NPC in me. I still shank Dorn whenever I'm in NRO, and I know a dozen or so similar mobs that other people feel the same about.

Great attachment to the game, due to shitty mechanics.

Erollisi Marr was a pretty shitty server, drama-wise, except for Ebonlore at the start. Just your standard Master Looter-Cyboring-The-"Lady"-Who-Gets-All-The-Loot (Hi Wit's End!) style stuff going on, rather than anything really engaging. I guess that's what happens when your server only has like, 1.5 competent guilds running at a time?

I did have one of my guild leaders commit suicide after I told her I wouldn't PL her alt in Befallen. That was a neat thing to happen in a 14-year-old's life.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hey, you don't get that kind of community in newer games!
Like...a real suicide...or video game suicide? She might have just been fucking with you. Everyone knows those people whomysteriouslydied, likely just to change characters, personas, or just quit the game.

Although now that you bring it up, I did have a EQ buddy who did die (for real) while we were playing. I remember reading the news articles and everything. RIP Escoses.

Cybsled

Wasn't there that kid who thought EQ characters were chasing him IRL and he killed himself? I remember that making national news.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Like...a real suicide...or video game suicide? She might have just been fucking with you. Everyone knows those people whomysteriouslydied, likely just to change characters, personas, or just quit the game.

Although now that you bring it up, I did have a EQ buddy who did die (for real) while we were playing. I remember reading the news articles and everything. RIP Escoses.
Real. Her husband was the co-guild leader, came home and found her in the tub. Was pretty fucked up. I was apparently the last person that "talked" to her.

There are good and bad memories that come from a game that gets you socially attached to other people.

My cowardly 14-year-old ass, being incapable of coping with that, did the manly thing and rolled a character with a different name in order to avoid that social climate. I blame Befallen for making me play a Rogue for 6 years.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone who kills themselves because their alt wouldn't be PL'd clearly has other things going in their lives leading them to that decision.

But as a 14 year old, I could see not understanding why the fuck that shit happened and not knowing how to react. Fuck that cunt.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Krassus was solro and I believe bruuce may be on here as well. Reading those solro flames was a good time a few years back

Cybsled

He probably got sick of the "Loading, Please Wait..." between zones. I remember when Velious came out and before I upgraded my system ram, it would literally take 7-8 minutes to zone.