What vehicle do you drive?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Lots of car manufacturers are moving to Cylon faces (Toyota/Lexus being the worst).

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-21%2Bat%2B8.36.10%2BAM.png

Uncanny.

CfzgzSHWcAAE_dQ.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Well....I dunno. Cars are my biggest passion and all of them are loud and fast. But, there are times when I'm on the highway for a work trip and I need to talk on the phone and I wouldn't mind a quieter drive. Or, when my lady is with me and we're trying to talk and not taking her car. And, if I was a neighbor and didn't care about cars, but was woken up in the morning by a GT350 (very loud car) I might be a little miffed as well.

Options aren't necessarily bad. I love to scare the bejeezus out of people with the Hellcat, but I also like to use it for a mellow drive. What's so bad about having both choices?

I see "pussification" as forcing features on cars that don't give people the choice. I hated the locks on my M5 and M6. Had to pull the door handle twice to open the doors for the "just in case little Johnny wants to play around" people. I don't want to pull the fucking handle twice to get out of the car.

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Well....I dunno. Cars are my biggest passion and all of them are loud and fast. But, there are times when I'm on the highway for a work trip and I need to talk on the phone and I wouldn't mind a quieter drive. Or, when my lady is with me and we're trying to talk and not taking her car. And, if I was a neighbor and didn't care about cars, but was woken up in the morning by a GT350 (very loud car) I might be a little miffed as well.

Options aren't necessarily bad. I love to scare the bejeezus out of people with the Hellcat, but I also like to use it for a mellow drive. What's so bad about having both choices?

I see "pussification" as forcing features on cars that don't give people the choice. I hated the locks on my M5 and M6. Had to pull the door handle twice to open the doors for the "just in case little Johnny wants to play around" people. I don't want to pull the fucking handle twice to get out of the car.

It's really not bad seeing as it is a feature and not a requirement. I'm just being hyperbolic because internet.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
For the first time in years I actually like the new S4 better than the S5 - and it comes down to two basic things. The lights on the S4 look better imo, and the S5/A5 have this fucking weird, out of place chrome/metal piece on the side of the car that they lifted directly from a Ford Taurus that I don't understand at all.... In fact if you squint the whole vehicle kinda looks like a Ford Taurus.

That said, the interiors are still best in class and I LOVE the virtual cockpit idea/implementation. Looked at what the S5/S4 costs and they're slightly overpriced in comparison to a 440i/340i or whatever. Will be interesting to see how the RS models get priced.

Alfa Romeo's new sedan and SUV are both really excellent cars apparently and a bit cheaper than their German counterparts

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
New RS5 can be had for $80,000 roughly. In that range, I'm not buying that car and I don't think many others would either. The "S" models seem to be more bang-for-the-buck and priced a bit more reasonably considering what they pack. New interiors and screens are awesome, though. Agree that the looks outside aren't great. The prior generation looked fantastic.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
For the first time in years I actually like the new S4 better than the S5 - and it comes down to two basic things. The lights on the S4 look better imo, and the S5/A5 have this fucking weird, out of place chrome/metal piece on the side of the car that they lifted directly from a Ford Taurus that I don't understand at all.... In fact if you squint the whole vehicle kinda looks like a Ford Taurus.

That said, the interiors are still best in class and I LOVE the virtual cockpit idea/implementation. Looked at what the S5/S4 costs and they're slightly overpriced in comparison to a 440i/340i or whatever. Will be interesting to see how the RS models get priced.

Alfa Romeo's new sedan and SUV are both really excellent cars apparently and a bit cheaper than their German counterparts

Funny my old car was a 2014 S4, and this time I got the S5 Sportback (4 door S5 hatchback). It was a tough call whether I was just going to get a 2018 S4, but I liked the hatchback on the S5. Not sure what "chrome" piece you're referring to, but if it's that small piece with the S5 icon embedded on the front fenders, I got those along with the mirrors wrapped in carbon fiber. In a few months I'll order the black grill as well and get rid of the chrome altogether.

The interior is definitely the nicest in its class. Seats and computer system are simply fantastic. First time I literally had to read the manual in order to properly operate the car.

The only thing that really pisses me off is the lack of manual since it was only available in automatic. After 25+ years of driving manual, the car just feels neutered even though it's just as fast.

The S5 and S5 sportback look different. This is a rear view image of mine in the same color.

s5.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Most cars in that class don't have one as nice as the Audi virtual cockpit.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Frenzied Wombat Frenzied Wombat Does it have that full led cockpit screen for the instrument panel? That thing is so sexy.

Plenty of buttons and knobs, it's definitely no Tesla interior.

Yeah, the virtual cockpit is all LCD, and you can change between different configs.. Background nav with tach/speed, one big tach/speed dial, or combo radio/speed. It also swooshes in when you start the car which is cool. My favorite is the fact that the trim throughout the car is lined with LED lighting that's invisible unless on, and you can adjust the colors.. So you can have the door trim in white, the dash in blue, and the doors in red for example..

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Ok, the map thing is pretty cool but I don't see the point in displaying it in my instrument cluster. Does it really play movies of fish and shit while driving?
I think the movies shit is only when not moving(which is still kind of stupid).

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The only real benefit to having the map up in the instrument cluster is that it frees up the other screen for other functions. Basically you can do everything via the dash that you can on the MMI screen itself-- it's basically a multi monitor style setup. Only thing I've found that you can't do on the dash is use your finger to write, like you can using the MMI knob.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya, my buddies map switches black at night/white during day - it's really intuitive and easy to read. Ya, the chrome piece I mean is the S5 deal which will look MUCH better in black/carbon - especially in that chalk grey color - congrats, it's a great car!

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I remember reading somewhere that when they were making V8's more efficient they lost a lot of their nostalgic noises, so the manufacturers added special vibrators / noise generating somethings to bring the sound back even though it was fake.

Am I just making shit up or is this true? Explains how that headline is possible (didn't read the article).

No, these are active exhausts (opens noise gate after cats before mufflers/resonators). The difference with this one is that most actives are in "friendly" mode and open up in sport, the new Mustang one is apparently "naturally loud" and you can toggle it quiet.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kiroy Kiroy Companies like BMW have exhaust and engine sounds piped in through the sound system of the car to "enhance" the experience. But, it's doesn't sound natural and many people disconnect that function.

The Mustang thing in question is different; butterfly valves in the exhaust open and close depending on RPM and load to make it louder. Very common on performance cars around the world, these days.

• 1Like