What vehicle do you drive?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Hydrogen has a problem, it's dirt cheap if you produce it from natural gas, otherwise you can just use water and electricity but you have the same problem with battery. My personal take on hydrogen, it would be awesome on trucks, bus, etc. but not on private vehicles.

the biggest problem i see with hydrogen is your average joe trying to produce it's own from water, creating potential bombs in every garden.

Last I checked the only way to test the purity of Hydrogen was with Helium which we have a finite supply of, so unless they figured out how to get around that we are in the same boat as the electric car where we aren't figuring out the major hurdles before pushing the product out.

I built and operated a Hydrogen unit where we cracked Natural Gas to produce Hydrogen when I had my own business. They were freaking out about running out of Helium then.

Burns

Hydrogen can be made much more stable and possible crash safe by combining it with hydrides in the tank. Unfortunately, it seems that this process currently needs a whole bunch of rare earth elements to work. So, as long as China controls the market it wont be a competitive option (the cost of mining may make it too costly, regardless).

Getting enough hydrogen out of water for a single daily driver most likely requires a huge electrolysis generator. A quick search for a large generator were "call for a quote" (best guess is $100k+ as the small generators were $30k to $50k).

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
LOL Hydrogen cars. Sure, sure. I've only been hearing about those "coming soon" for the past 30 years. Should be available in about two weeks, right?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Last I checked the only way to test the purity of Hydrogen was with Helium which we have a finite supply of, so unless they figured out how to get around that we are in the same boat as the electric car where we aren't figuring out the major hurdles before pushing the product out.

I built and operated a Hydrogen unit where we cracked Natural Gas to produce Hydrogen when I had my own business. They were freaking out about running out of Helium then.

Maybe the tolerance for purity may be larger for use as fuel, over that of other hydrogen applications (and therefore doesn't need testing or electrolysis conversion in particular doesn't need it)?

There are/were some companies (for example (dunno how/if they stay(ed) in business)) that have been converting vehicles for running on hydrogen and propane using electrolysis generators (only price I saw, from 10+ years ago, was $250k for the generator, plus $60k+ for the conversion). I doubt they are/were setting up testing kits for each tank of fuel.

Last edited:

Hekotat

Maybe the tolerance for purity may be larger for use as fuel, over that of other hydrogen applications (and therefore doesn't need testing or electrolysis conversion in particular doesn't need it)?

There are/were some companies (for example (dunno how/if they stay(ed) in business)) that have been converting vehicles for running on hydrogen and propane using electrolysis generators (only price I saw, from 10+ years ago, was $250k for the generator, plus $60k+ for the conversion). I doubt they are/were setting up testing kits for each tank of fuel.

It has to be beyond a certain purity percentage (99% I think, can't remember the exact number) in order to not explode when filling a tank due to compression.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Really stupid idea probably, but this caught my eye as a possible cheap daily but still sorta fun daily alternative to jag. Too bad rwd instead of x drive, would make it justifiable as my slow car. Just bad with the very many flavors o of bmw and unsure if its a dump before 100k which it's at vs something i can expect to go 200k.

View attachment 394612

How many owners has it had? These engines get tuned and abused a lot. The (lack of) trim on the tires does not inspire confidence.

The left side of the front bumper was repainted, or is that a bumper sticker thing that has partially come off? The bumper doesn't seem to reflect either, just compare it to the side of the car.

1643054026439.png

The damage on the upper left in the pic seems quite harsh. The rims don't have noticeable damage, which is weird while seeing these other things. Most likely they took of the original ones, and fitted cheaper small size ones instead. They look like these, check if that is the case. Those are good (if original).

Have more pics? The outside side of the drivers seat in many of these is ruined often.

Last edited:

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
How many owners has it had? These engines get tuned and abused a lot. The (lack of) trim on the tires does not inspire confidence.

The left side of the front bumper was repainted, or is that a bumper sticker thing that has partially come off? The bumper doesn't seem to reflect either, just compare it to the side of the car.

View attachment 394670

The damage on the upper left in the pic seems quite harsh. The rims don't have noticeable damage, which is weird while seeing these other things.

Have more pics? The outside side of the drivers seat in many of these is ruined often.
Meant it more as a beater so cosmetic issues is fine. It was rear ended and still has some hail marks that are harder to see. 2nd owner.

Not all that serious about it at all. But just looking for ideas in the 10_20k price point to be a daily alternative to the jag. Be it slightly sporty as well or utilitarian, snow friendly a must. Was going to go for a maverick for much more, but they've been getting marked up heavy and just closed orders for all of 2022.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Meant it more as a beater so cosmetic issues is fine.

Well, if something big breaks its going to be expensive, but at least there is a lot of community info and parts.

You do not want an RWD beemer for heavy snow. Trust me, I had to load bags of cement into the trunk of my E46 coupe so I could get up certain hills with like 10cm of snow. It doesn't matter how slow you corner, your car will go sideways to some extent. That is always fun but not always safe.

• 1Comrade

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
In case the post is public and for anyone curiosity. Ya fender certainly rough but stays actually look decent.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
In case the post is public and for anyone curiosity. Ya fender certainly rough but stays actually look decent.

Seems its gone but thanks for the follow up.

They sell those parts on ali-express btw. I think an entire lower front bumper like that is like 500$ or something. There is a lot of fake bmw shit for sale, some of it is pretty decent.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Just fb being dumb, and the area group is closed apparently

Lol wtf the market place post coming up hajii in preview.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Just fb being dumb, and the area group is closed apparently

Lol wtf the market place post coming up hajii in preview.

From a quick scan you can see the car was cleaned up before the pics were made.

I hate people that do that. I hate people that don't even more though.

Perhaps you can offer some camels, it seems like the seller would appreciate those.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
So was build and pricing a maverick since any remaining ecoboost orders have to be in by Thursday.

Came up with a mid and high trim at 31 and 36k before any dealer fucknanigans when it would arrive in 6 months or so.

While the price aint too bad. I had hoped a decent mid trim build would sit more like 26k but forced options with ecoboost/awd keep it a bit up, and skip heated seats on my snow car? Pffft

The depressing thing was realizing I bought my 2015 tundra in 15, "used" with 6k miles for that 36k price tag.

Fucker

Log Wizard
So was build and pricing a maverick since any remaining ecoboost orders have to be in by Thursday.

Came up with a mid and high trim at 31 and 36k before any dealer fucknanigans when it would arrive in 6 months or so.

While the price aint too bad. I had hoped a decent mid trim build would sit more like 26k but forced options with ecoboost/awd keep it a bit up, and skip heated seats on my snow car? Pffft

The depressing thing was realizing I bought my 2015 tundra in 15, "used" with 6k miles for that 36k price tag.
Depressing is right. I was looking at used Tundras but decided to wait for the new one. Prices on used ones went down ... and are now going way back up because the new Tundras are shit. It will take some looking around now, but that Toyota 5.7 in a rock solid platform is still a deal at $35k-ish with low miles.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So I've now driven my Ford Ranger in snow. It's fantastic. It will go through anything, and it stops beautifully with its anti lock breaks. I continue to recommend this truck.

• 2Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Went and browsed some vehicles yesterday evening. I saw dealer markups as much as $20k over msrp and few lower than $5k.

What wonderful times!

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

Went and browsed some vehicles yesterday evening. I saw dealer markups as much as $20k over msrp and few lower than $5k.

What wonderful times!

Hopefully people aren't buying and the go out of business, every last one of them.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Hopefully people aren't buying and the go out of business, every last one of them.
One salesman I talked to even told me it’s ridiculous, the market sucks, and he said he doesn’t predict it’s going to end for 2-3 years. He said he can’t believe anyone would actually pay so much for some things on the lot.