What vehicle do you drive?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
LOL no I haven't. I've only driven it a handful of times but I'll pay attention to that next time I'm getting in it.

As far as the auto drive/lane control/whatever its called: I haven't used that in any other vehicle before so I have no frame of reference but it seems to be really herky jerky. I only used it for like 2 minutes before I said fuck that, way too scary.
I do not like auto drive at all. Even the variable cruise control will do some fucky stuff sometimes like pick up someone up ahead who’s turning right, it’ll nearly slam on the brakes thinking it’s a stopped vehicle. I’ve had my wife’s car pick up a tar line or something before and jerk the wheel. I don’t use it anymore, I’d only use it if I was nodding off driving at night.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Base model, but full service history from new. I am the second owner. Old guy owned....full service records = easy life. It is basically as new. These are 1,000,000 mile trucks top to bottom..this one has 100k and change. I will not list price until I have title in hand.

At some point will add TRD supercharger and aftermarket suspension and brakes....with these it will do 4WD burnouts...at 65MPH.

21 (3).jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Been trying to be smart with vehicles... I'm giving my GF my vehicle, so I want to get a truck..

I've always had F-150s on and off and love them. I found a 2018 Platinum with about 50,000 miles for (around) $48,000. I don't want to go any older than 2018. Would you have any reservations about buying an 18 with 50k miles?

Also was looking at a Ram 1500. They (supposedly) have a couple of used / new ones on their lot with the features I want (CarPlay, leather, Adaptive cruise control). Interiors look great online with the huge infotainment screen.

What do you think, Ram vs f150?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
My 1million mile toyata truck got crushed by some asshole who rear-ended me in a semi as I was approaching 300k. Car/truck market is a bitch right now. If you like it go for it, and if there's hidden problems after the fact, hopefully you can fix it yourself over waiting 3 months in line for someone else to fix it. People with cars to sell have you by the balls. Bad time to be a poor when it comes to transportation. I offered the salesman a bribe on my new vehicle and I'm still weeks into waiting.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
F150 is probably a safe choice if you're concerned with reliability. I've always had the opinion Chrysler products are garbage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
F150 is probably a safe choice if you're concerned with reliability. I've always had the opinion Chrysler products are garbage.

20 years ago, sure. These days, I'd pick them over Chevy or Ford. New Rams are great trucks and the interiors are a step above.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
What do you think, Ram vs f150?

Better have a mechanic look at the 150 first, 48k is still an awful lot for something that could have been damaged at some point, or neglected.

There's a good chunk of owners that do ZERO maintenance, even oil changes.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Aight FOH need recommendations for a good vehicle. I am returning to the us this summer after having lived in japan for the past 8 years. When i was younger Ive normally always knew exactly what kind of car i wanted next (sports cars) but I'm older now and woefully out of date on current make/models in the us market.

I was thinking maybe an suv but with brandon destroying america and the price of gas what it is I'm not sold yet. Maybe a crossover or smaller suv? Just needs to be big enough for my hobbies, which would mean bike rack, big enough to haul scuba gear, and long guns, and enough mpg that i can still afford to go places.

If not in that category i could be persuaded to go for a luxury car.

I'm too old to be worrying about go fast, no longer care about the 0 to 60 time. I just wanna be comfortable. Either spacious enough to the fuck around on the weekends or comforts/amenities of a luxury vehicle. But really I've been driving around in a kei truck so long that im pretty agnostic and would entertain any recommendations for any type of vehicle.

Nothing new new, but recent models, maybe 2015-2020 or so.

If you own something that fits one of those categories and love it, then sell me on it.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Aight FOH need recommendations for a good vehicle. I am returning to the us this summer after having lived in japan for the past 8 years. When i was younger Ive normally always knew exactly what kind of car i wanted next (sports cars) but I'm older now and woefully out of date on current make/models in the us market.

I was thinking maybe an suv but with brandon destroying america and the price of gas what it is I'm not sold yet. Maybe a crossover or smaller suv? Just needs to be big enough for my hobbies, which would mean bike rack, big enough to haul scuba gear, and long guns, and enough mpg that i can still afford to go places.

I'm too old to be worrying about go fast, no longer care about the 0 to 60 time. I just wanna be comfortable. Either spacious enough to the fuck around on the weekends or comforts/amenities of a luxury vehicle. But really I've been driving around in a kei truck so long that im pretty agnostic and would entertain any recommendations for any type of vehicle.

If you own something that fits one of those categories and love it, then sell me on it.
Small SUV is a pretty solid pick. GF has new model CRV and it is a fantastic car. Respectable power, tops in crash safety, and lots of room on the inside. It only has 190HP but it feels like more. It handles 80+MPH interstate without breaking a sweat. Thing is a tank in the winter and it has OEM all season tires. MPG in city is kinda meh, but highway is excellent. It has CVT transmission, but Honda knows how to do it. It handles well too.

RAV4 is same excellent car. Has regular auto trans vs cvt.

Might as well buy new because used prices are very high for each.

These aren't the tiny rolleskates they used to be. Both have plenty of room on the inside for people and for gear....but not too big to be a PITA to park.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I loathe crossovers, but understand their popularity due to convenience, utility, adaptability, etc. Biggest questions before I could give options are: what's your budget and how long do you want to keep the vehicle? Fucker Fucker mentioned two Hondas already. They will last a lifetime, but aren't luxurious like you mentioned being of interest. Lexus makes great mid-sized SUVs that are just as reliable (Toyota) and very nice inside. But, they will be more expensive (hence the budget question). I'd personally go with a wagon of some kind, but those are harder and harder to find in these times. Most seem to be German and I'm not sure I'd keep them past warranty. You're likely going to want to shop Japanese or Korean to get the all-in-one car with good reliability.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I loathe crossovers, but understand their popularity due to convenience, utility, adaptability, etc. Biggest questions before I could give options are: what's your budget and how long do you want to keep the vehicle? Fucker Fucker mentioned two Hondas already. They will last a lifetime, but aren't luxurious like you mentioned being of interest. Lexus makes great mid-sized SUVs that are just as reliable (Toyota) and very nice inside. But, they will be more expensive (hence the budget question). I'd personally go with a wagon of some kind, but those are harder and harder to find in these times. Most seem to be German and I'm not sure I'd keep them past warranty. You're likely going to want to shop Japanese or Korean to get the all-in-one car with good reliability.
They aren't down contented like they used to be. CRV has nice quality interior and is comfortable. Good ride, too. It is only 1 inch narrower and an inch shorter (in interior height) than a midsize SUV. It is quite a bit shorter lengthwise but it still isn't small. Not as luxurious as a new Lexus but then again not bad at all.

Subaru Outback is also worth a consideration. I was thinking about one as a DD but we don't need two cars that do the same thing.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Base model, but full service history from new. I am the second owner. Old guy owned....full service records = easy life. It is basically as new. These are 1,000,000 mile trucks top to bottom..this one has 100k and change. I will not list price until I have title in hand.

At some point will add TRD supercharger and aftermarket suspension and brakes....with these it will do 4WD burnouts...at 65MPH.

View attachment 404451
Unless you find a leftover kit somehow, the options are Magnusson which made the oem kit, or someone else has one as well.

Pain in the ass if its a flex fuel gotta get a few extra parts. I was tempted, but after you add installation, was looking like 8k or so.

New tundra seems dumb, if id known i was going to double my salary last year I would have kept mine and still bought jag. Hindsight.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They aren't down contented like they used to be. CRV has nice quality interior and is comfortable. Good ride, too. It is only 1 inch narrower and an inch shorter (in interior height) than a midsize SUV. It is quite a bit shorter lengthwise but it still isn't small. Not as luxurious as a new Lexus but then again not bad at all.

Subaru Outback is also worth a consideration. I was thinking about one as a DD but we don't need two cars that do the same thing.

Definitely not knocking the Hondas. They are every bit as nice as upscale brands because #1) people expect it and #2) they have the volume and scale to make it affordable to have the quality interior and gizmos. Was just pointing out that when you do pay 20-50%, you can get a few more bells and whistles, if that's important to someone.

I had 3 Subarus as a teen and into College. Loved all of them. Just don't need the all weather capability where I live now.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

i have friends who traded in an outback for a forrester and even then theyre thinking a crosstrek would have been the better fit (they also have an imprezza dd like me, same year actually, bought both at the same dealer for 2fer discount), i would really step in the showroom to check it out, the difference are huge an outback is like over a foot longer than a crosstrek but almost twice the trunk space, Sylas Sylas , you really should bring in a bike to the showroom and see how much space you want in the junk

Fucker

Log Wizard
Unless you find a leftover kit somehow, the options are Magnusson which made the oem kit, or someone else has one as well.

Pain in the ass if its a flex fuel gotta get a few extra parts. I was tempted, but after you add installation, was looking like 8k or so.

New tundra seems dumb, if id known i was going to double my salary last year I would have kept mine and still bought jag. Hindsight.
Yeah, charger seems like a fun idea, but I won't do it. Kind of dumb of me to buy something because of its reliability then make it unreliable. New Tundra looks ok, but the days of me buying expensive cars is over. I had a new F250 but the mess in the car market meant that I was able to get rid of it for what I paid for it. I got lucky, but not going to test luck again.

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard
Definitely not knocking the Hondas.
Yeah, I know. :)

I'm surprised how good they have gotten. I had an older one (2006) which was as solid as an anvil but spartan on the inside. I only bought it because it was like new. $14k and low miles and still smelled new inside.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
i have friends who traded in an outback for a forrester and even then theyre thinking a crosstrek would have been the better fit (they also have an imprezza dd like me, same year actually, bought both at the same dealer for 2fer discount), i would really step in the showroom to check it out, the difference are huge an outback is like over a foot longer than a crosstrek but almost twice the trunk space, Sylas Sylas , you really should bring in a bike to the showroom and see how much space you want in the junk
I traded in my Impreza (same as a crosstreck) for an outback and yeah the difference is pretty big. The forester and outback both ride better than the crosstrek, I’m guessing due to bigger wheelbase. My sister likes her forester the most as it’s shorter and taller, the outback was just too big for her. She backed it into things a couple times despite having a backup camera.

As far as bike rack, any of the Saris bones racks will work on any of those models. I have the three bike model and have used it on my hatchback Impreza, 2 models of Ford Escape, a friends sedan. It fits anything.

The biggest question would be trunk space I guess. Scuba gear and long guns would fit in small crossovers and SUVs just fine.

Sylas Sylas I’d just go test drive some hatchbacks and see which you like. Crosstrek is a good one if you’re on a budget. If you have the money, you’d probably like the forester, rav4 or crv better.

Burns

Just needs to be big enough for my hobbies, which would mean bike rack, big enough to haul scuba gear, and long guns, and enough mpg that i can still afford to go places.
If you can get a bike rack for most anything, like Hateyou linked, then you can make due with most any vehicle you fancy. This might be the worst time in our lifetimes to be buying a car, so the limiting factor is what is available in your area (or are willing to go get/ship to you) for a reasonable price.

You can probably fit scuba gear and long guns in pretty much every vehicle with a trunk (as long as the engine is in the front). Every American sports car, that I have seen the trunk of, can fit multiple modern rifles and ammo. Only gun I can think of, off hand, that would cause issue due to length is something like the longest Kentucky long rifles. As for diving, even a larger rebreather system could probably be packed in a super small vehicle like a smart car.

If you regularly dive, by walking in from a beach, you may want to stick to 4 wheel drive, so you can get closer to the water and feel more comfortable about not getting stuck.

If MPG is the second most important requirement, after space for gear, my vote for a pure MPG car would be a Honda Civic (if you can find one). Honda really hit it out of the park in 2011 with the new coupe (9th & 10th gen) for the price, looks, comfort, and gas mileage.

P.S. A Dodge Challenger, Chevy Corvette (last generation or older), or Ford Mustang can all fit plenty of guns and diving equipment, if you want to throw MPG to the wind (Vette can get 30+ mpg highway).

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Not being able to order the new Integra in blue with red interior is a god damn travesty!