What vehicle do you drive?

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
This is a real problem. Why can't car manufacturers come up with a baseline car that is cheap as fuck? All the necessary space is already available, all the machinery is as well. Ford should be able to produce a $10,000 car. It won't last 30 years, but it will be new and reliable for 5 years. It will be paid off soon, and it will be a good buy for everyone. Make a cheap car without the power windows, Bluetooth, heated seats and all that shit. Basic everything, decent engine that isn't huge, just the basic basic basic bits. Don't need to make your fasteners hidden, make it all visible and easy to fix.

It should happen, but won't.

Because we don't live in Soviet Russia.

What company in their right mind is going to waste valuable resources making a shit box that makes them very little money, when they can turn out trucks and SUVs that net them a lot more?

If there was a market for these type of cars, believe me, someone would have already jumped on the opportunity to make money. But there is no money in making shitty, low feature cars.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
If EU and UK is anything like the US, half the driving age people cannot afford a new base model Honda Civic. Forcing EV's on people will drive that number through the roof. Charging in many areas is already the same cost as gas, and in a few places more expensive. This is going to be universal pretty soon.

Which is why I ended up buying out my latest Tesla X, instead of continuing to lease. It was the last model grandfathered in so I get free unlimited charging forever, as long as I own the vehicle. I wonder if Tesla will ever renege on this, or if I can expect to get free charging for years/decades.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Because we don't live in Soviet Russia.
Base model, $7800 new.
Lada-Vesta-655570802.jpg

• 2Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
We don't get those in the US.

Anyone do any sim racing here? I figured this was the first place to ask before I created a dead thread. I bought a steering wheel and really started getting into it and just ordered a entry level cockpit. Just curious if there is enough interest on this forum to start a thread.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Anyone do any sim racing here? I figured this was the first place to ask before I created a dead thread. I bought a steering wheel and really started getting into it and just ordered a entry level cockpit. Just curious if there is enough interest on this forum to start a thread.
Saw the things at microcenter and then nearly fell over from the pricetag. Cheaper to buy a set of track tires and a helmet and do some real autocross...

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

Saw the things at microcenter and then nearly fell over from the pricetag. Cheaper to buy a set of track tires and a helmet and do some real autocross...

I'm in for under 2k total. I don't need the top end insanity, there are plenty of good options out there for getting started. Some of those rigs and tech are insane though. Believe me, I'd rather do it in real life but getting into the action these days is just not cost feasible for me. I miss the days of getting a nice little project car for 2-3k. Now you can't find anything worth a shit for under 10k. Partly due to post Covid insanity as well as everyone only selling on auction sites.

Below is what I ordered today, I picked up a Thrustmaster T128 slightly used (It looked brand new, I don't think they used it) for 100 bucks.

hyq0e7fDzD.png

EDIT: Before you ask, no the shower curtain isn't being used. I just needed one, lol.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is a real problem. Why can't car manufacturers come up with a baseline car that is cheap as fuck? All the necessary space is already available, all the machinery is as well. Ford should be able to produce a $10,000 car. It won't last 30 years, but it will be new and reliable for 5 years. It will be paid off soon, and it will be a good buy for everyone. Make a cheap car without the power windows, Bluetooth, heated seats and all that shit. Basic everything, decent engine that isn't huge, just the basic basic basic bits. Don't need to make your fasteners hidden, make it all visible and easy to fix.

It should happen, but won't.

It exists in other countries, but not ours or western Europe.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I really wanted a rig when the new GT was released a year ago. But, I never got around to it and until we move, I probably won't bother.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In India you can get a Mahindra for 1 million rupee (about $12k). Many of super cheap cars don't meet EU/US crash standards though, Chinese brand Landwind tried in Europe a few years ago and got the worst crash test results in 30 years.

Some of the other Chinese brands have stepped up and are doing better though, I see a fair number of BYD and Lynk&Co cars on the road here now. These are around €45k out the door which I don't think is a huge amount these days for a midsize SUV PHEV that actually meets today's crash tests.

1690959271410.png

• 1Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Just drove to CA from ID and back in my base Hyundai Accent 5sp, around 1200 miles. Got over 50 mpg and stopped for fuel one time each way. Fueling took 15 minutes including the bathroom break. The car was under $20k new. Why would I ever want an EV?

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just drove to CA from ID and back in my base Hyundai Accent 5sp, around 1200 miles. Got over 50 mpg and stopped for fuel one time each way. Fueling took 15 minutes including the bathroom break. The car was under $20k new. Why would I ever want an EV?
Because the man with the gun says you have to

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, won’t make sense for anyone who can think for themselves and sees that the math and the economics don’t work. To everyone who drank the koolaid or is a mindless sheep, EV will save the world all on its own.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So now that I've kinda given up on the fast car scene for now. (inventory, markups etc etc, and nail in the coffin being that I have utterly zero time to joyride with my farm + job and between here and Tulsa no roads that allow fun on the commute) Went back to a Tundra, and it should be good for >200k easy. THat being said still debating if it's worth trying to get a shitbox for most commutes since it's nearly 2 hours a day on the highway and that's just a lot of gas and miles for a 15mpg truck (hopefully 18 when I ditch the muds for some highway tires)

Would be nice to find something shit I can still try to make intersting, like we enjoyed our manual veloster Rally. I kinda would prefer to stay hatchback for some useability. But not sure what's going to be the best buy, any cheap pos I can find for like 10k but might only be 25mpg, or what might be worth getting that gets >30mpg. And if the potential higher cost of a hybrid or just higher cost with current gas prices would make that worth it. Just out of my element never shopping for mpg/basic bitch

I'm almost resigned to going out of state if I do, bumfuck oklahoma frequently has 2 year old cars with 50k miles on them, the mileage out here is ridiculous.

I did squeeze a few more rides out of my H2 death bike when we had a dip in temps, and I think I'll still hold onto it for now, it at least gets 40mpg cruising at 80mph, though 10k in positive equity would pretty much pay for the shitbox I could drive more of the year due to ac/heat

Burns

So now that I've kinda given up on the fast car scene for now. (inventory, markups etc etc, and nail in the coffin being that I have utterly zero time to joyride with my farm + job and between here and Tulsa no roads that allow fun on the commute) Went back to a Tundra, and it should be good for >200k easy. THat being said still debating if it's worth trying to get a shitbox for most commutes since it's nearly 2 hours a day on the highway and that's just a lot of gas and miles for a 15mpg truck (hopefully 18 when I ditch the muds for some highway tires)

Would be nice to find something shit I can still try to make intersting, like we enjoyed our manual veloster Rally. I kinda would prefer to stay hatchback for some useability. But not sure what's going to be the best buy, any cheap pos I can find for like 10k but might only be 25mpg, or what might be worth getting that gets >30mpg. And if the potential higher cost of a hybrid or just higher cost with current gas prices would make that worth it. Just out of my element never shopping for mpg/basic bitch

I'm almost resigned to going out of state if I do, bumfuck oklahoma frequently has 2 year old cars with 50k miles on them, the mileage out here is ridiculous.

I did squeeze a few more rides out of my H2 death bike when we had a dip in temps, and I think I'll still hold onto it for now, it at least gets 40mpg cruising at 80mph, though 10k in positive equity would pretty much pay for the shitbox I could drive more of the year due to ac/heat
The 4 door Honda Civic 4 banger used to get ~30+ MPG combined, and that was 20 years ago. You can probably find a cheap 2010-15 civic that will get that or better.

Sludig

The 4 door Honda Civic 4 banger used to get ~30+ MPG combined, and that was 20 years ago. You can probably find a cheap 2010-15 civic that will get that or better.
Other than hyper high miles out here, certain I thought common cars seem absent compared to being in the Colorado market. much smaller population, but I also see so many cars that no one wanted apparently came to oklahoma to die. so many Pontiac solstice and other dead brand cars, and far more chevy/Buick shit boxes than quality Asian stuff.

Burns

Other than hyper high miles out here, certain I thought common cars seem absent compared to being in the Colorado market. much smaller population, but I also see so many cars that no one wanted apparently came to oklahoma to die. so many Pontiac solstice and other dead brand cars, and far more chevy/Buick shit boxes than quality Asian stuff.
I would think you could find some deals in OKC or DFW. People should be posting a ton of pictures now days, so it's easier to evaluate the car from a remote location, but it's hard to trust people not to jerk you around when you need to drive 3 to 5 hours to buy it and pick it up.

Could maybe look at some of the high volume used car dealers, where you would pay more, but it's easier to trust that they will keep their word. The only one of those I knew anything about was Texas Direct Auto in Houston, but that was over 5 years ago when I kept track of them. I think they may have changed hands since then, so no clue what they are like these days.

Not sure what the best place is for private party, Facebook marketplace maybe?

Sludig

I would think you could find some deals in OKC or DFW. People should be posting a ton of pictures now days, so it's easier to evaluate the car from a remote location, but it's hard to trust people not to jerk you around when you need to drive 3 to 5 hours to buy it and pick it up.

Could maybe look at some of the high volume used car dealers, where you would pay more, but it's easier to trust that they will keep their word. The only one of those I knew anything about was Texas Direct Auto in Houston, but that was over 5 years ago when I kept track of them. I think they may have changed hands since then, so no clue what they are like these days.

Not sure what the best place is for private party, Facebook marketplace maybe?
I guess the other part that I'm trying to evaluate is if it's even worth getting the shit box. Tundra a tank but wouldn't look forward to having to replace it in day 6 years or so when most of the tank trucks have been replaced by the capable but finicky new stuff and $$$

Hekotat

I haven't seen an old civic 10+ years old for less than 10k in the past two years. I've considered selling my GTi to get an old beater so I have no debt but the prices turn me off every time. That prices includes non-running shitters.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess the other part that I'm trying to evaluate is if it's even worth getting the shit box. Tundra a tank but wouldn't look forward to having to replace it in day 6 years or so when most of the tank trucks have been replaced by the capable but finicky new stuff and $$$
Buying a second vehicle will always be more expensive than keeping one on the road.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like