What vehicle do you drive?

Siliconemelons

I like and dont like the look of the new Z as a casual observer, looks only no comment on its performance.

I think it looks cool, but they were JJUUUSST short by like, a bod line or something from hitting the new-retro look perfectly.

Also, I tend to like Nissan designs, rip my murano and quest

Fucker

Log Wizard
This reminded me of some of the previous EV/repair/insurance talk we've had before. Pretty interesting and glad that someone is trying to pick up the slack

0 thought put into repairability on any level. Repair shops won't touch them even for body damage. Why risk it? No techs to fix them in a reasonable time frame either. Hell, vehicles are getting to the point where techs can't even fix ICE vehicles. EV's a bridge too far. I know someone who bought a new Ford truck for business. Electronics were a mess, so he sent it back to dealership. Months passed, no fix. He went to pick it up to send it to another dealership and parts were thrown into the cab and bed. Tech who was working on it quit, and they couldn't find another. Brand new truck ruined because no one could figure out what parts went missing and what was broken. Interior ruined and parts thrown into bed ruined from the weather. Simple gas V-8, too. Bare bones truck. EV's to these people no different than trying to figure out the warp drive on a crashed UFO. Throwing away a new $80k EV over two bent bolts is next level WTF. I can see the reasoning behind it. Why shoulder the responsibility for someone else's shitty ideas?

All these companies make unrepairable battery packs, no fucks given. Why? They don't have to eat the cost of replacement...the rest of us do. Ever wonder why your car insurance is going up? Just another form of subsidizing someone else's behavior. Memba when they told us EV tax breaks were going to be phased out...like 10 years ago? HAHA joke is on us.

It isn't going to be too long before insurance companies tell EV owners to fuck off.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

For what its worth, they fixed my Mach-e - just got her back, they did an outstanding job looks like when i picked her up. They did a complete detail inside and out and the repair looks great. 5k repair bill

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Saw the new Z for the first time in my small town, guy came out and let me take it for a drive. Was quite modded (Tune, Exhaust, Intake, upgraded suspension, STS) for how new it was and I was quite impressed. I still wouldn't buy one but it was nice. Also really bizarre to me he let a stranger drive something with that much HP.

Somewhat related

View attachment 529982
"that much hp"

This is why I'm ruined on affordable somewhat cars because after what I had 300-400 hp sounds like a base civic. Ditto on bikes. Instinctively want to get a450, but for around here I'd probably be way better off with a 250. But if I'm on pavement I'm going to be sad when a couple seconds twist of my hand doesn't have me doing 100mph.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Fuck. I made the mistake of taking a newer Z4 for a test drive.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Test drove a C7 today. Drove nicely, but honestly the cabin was pretty tight which was odd since it's about the same size as a Mustang. There was less elbow room than the Z4. I'm sure it's better for a track car to not be able to really move your legs around but I think like it would suck a bit for a road trip.

Think I'm going to cross it off the list.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Test drove a C7 today. Drove nicely, but honestly the cabin was pretty tight which was odd since it's about the same size as a Mustang. There was less elbow room than the Z4. I'm sure it's better for a track car to not be able to really move your legs around but I think like it would suck a bit for a road trip.

Think I'm going to cross it off the list.
On long enough time frame, c8 will be hilarious when it's a "cheap" 10 year old car. You should find a V8 F type to drive just for fun but make sure your hammering it onto a highway. I bitched in car ?'s but it's really killed my ability to appreciate mid tier car's I think. (Just swap me the c8 interior in because the jag is like an outdated toyota)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I've been crossing more cars off my list. I decided after test driving a lot more that convertible is what I want. Also after getting stuck in memorial Day traffic on the C7 test drive I'm less anti a good automatic now. Not that I still wouldn't buy a stick in a car that had it available, but that's just not in the cards.

Burren Burren what's your take on the car market right now? Should I wait? Still seems to be coming down a bit and I am seeing some of these cars sitting for 60-120 days or more.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I've been crossing more cars off my list. I decided after test driving a lot more that convertible is what I want. Also after getting stuck in memorial Day traffic on the C7 test drive I'm less anti a good automatic now. Not that I still wouldn't buy a stick in a car that had it available, but that's just not in the cards.

Burren Burren what's your take on the car market right now? Should I wait? Still seems to be coming down a bit and I am seeing some of these cars sitting for 60-120 days or more.
The market has soften for more cars because of the ridiculous loan rates (7%-10% for people with good credit). But, most dealers still seem to be holding onto the higher prices, hoping for desperate people or whales. I think a private party purchase might be the best option if you find a car that has been well cared for. Owners forums are a good way to find those sorts of things.

There are cars I'd like to buy right now, but the prices are still 10-25% above what I "think" they should be, so I'm waiting. At the same time, I'm selling my Z06 and probably won't get the value I think its worth.

Ultimately, what you're doing is buying a car you "want", not a car you "need". So, the heart usually decides more than the head. I've done it a dozen times over the years. You just have to be OK with paying a little more for something that makes you happy and you enjoy. I would give different advice for a car you need to get around to work/school/errands, etc.

• 3Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The market has soften for more cars because of the ridiculous loan rates (7%-10% for people with good credit). But, most dealers still seem to be holding onto the higher prices, hoping for desperate people or whales. I think a private party purchase might be the best option if you find a car that has been well cared for. Owners forums are a good way to find those sorts of things.

There are cars I'd like to buy right now, but the prices are still 10-25% above what I "think" they should be, so I'm waiting. At the same time, I'm selling my Z06 and probably won't get the value I think its worth.

Ultimately, what you're doing is buying a car you "want", not a car you "need". So, the heart usually decides more than the head. I've done it a dozen times over the years. You just have to be OK with paying a little more for something that makes you happy and you enjoy. I would give different advice for a car you need to get around to work/school/errands, etc.

Yea, I skipped one I test drove and it sold, but they wanted too much and didn't want to match national market rates for it, was a '22 with like 3k miles. But then again they could have fleeced a guy with trade where I don't have one.

Have you bought anything on auction or dealer "sight unseen" (I realize pictures and all that)? There's a ton more inventory in AZ/CA/FL (obviously) but I'm somewhat reluctant, even when they're <20k miles on the odo. Not reluctant enough not to consider it though.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, I skipped one I test drove and it sold, but they wanted too much and didn't want to match national market rates for it, was a '22 with like 3k miles. But then again they could have fleeced a guy with trade where I don't have one.

Have you bought anything on auction or dealer "sight unseen" (I realize pictures and all that)? There's a ton more inventory in AZ/CA/FL (obviously) but I'm somewhat reluctant, even when they're <20k miles on the odo. Not reluctant enough not to consider it though.
Yes, absolutely (and my friends even more than me) but there are some caveats to that, which of course are opinion based, but I think rooted in a lot of experience and some facts.

New cars sight-unseen: Fine. They come with a warranty and if it gets to you fucked up, will be fixed just fine.
CPO cars sight-unseen: Fine. Same as above for "most" brands. Some brands are 100% safe transactions buying from around the country with CPO: Porsche, Ferrari
Regular used cars sight-unseen: I'm not comfortable with this and have not done it. Likely won't. Too much risk in my opinion.
Private Party used cars: Go see them. A flight and a "no" costs less than buying and having big troubles.

• 3Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior VP | Pantheon Pals VP Recruiting
<Gold Donor>

Helped a family member buy a Land Rover sight unseen brand new from a dealer in North Dakota… What they wanted was so specific I had to look all over the US for it and when I found it I said screw it, we’ll buy it over the phone and had it shipped in covered car hauler. Worked out great tbh.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My Wakandanh

IMG_5093.jpeg

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yes, absolutely (and my friends even more than me) but there are some caveats to that, which of course are opinion based, but I think rooted in a lot of experience and some facts.

New cars sight-unseen: Fine. They come with a warranty and if it gets to you fucked up, will be fixed just fine.
CPO cars sight-unseen: Fine. Same as above for "most" brands. Some brands are 100% safe transactions buying from around the country with CPO: Porsche, Ferrari
Regular used cars sight-unseen: I'm not comfortable with this and have not done it. Likely won't. Too much risk in my opinion.
Private Party used cars: Go see them. A flight and a "no" costs less than buying and having big troubles.

So found a nice one the right spec and good colors, but it's discounted because if had a fender bender on rear. Had cover refinished and has inspection report.

Ok a scale of 1 to Joe Biden how retarded am I to consider it?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So found a nice one the right spec and good colors, but it's discounted because if had a fender bender on rear. Had cover refinished and has inspection report.

Ok a scale of 1 to Joe Biden how retarded am I to consider it?

Man, that's tough. It will always be a black mark on the car's record when you want to sell it again. That will lower its value long term.

Was there frame damage? Was there damage to any lights, sensors, radar, or other electronic bullshit? Those could be an issue in the future if hurt or not replaced properly. Purely cosmetic can be OK, but just go into it know other things might pop up as a problem. Do extra inspecting prior to a purchase and offer less than asking to help offset possible future costs/repairs on your end (plus the lower future value).

Otherwise, keep looking and something WILL pop up that fits the bill. Just might take more time.