What vehicle do you drive?

Pollo

Silver Knight of the Realm
LymmaFl.jpg

2014 Audi S4 Prestige. I love the shit out of it.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've got a boner for the new Dodge Challenger.

Someday, Bisi. Someday.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
S3 is on its way to the boat to then float slowly from somewhere in Hungary to the west coast over the next 5 weeks.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Vehicle shopping again with a little more gusto. Feel less manly looking at sports cars or semi sports cars like the 370z with an auto but I guess that's life. Kind of suprised there are that many autos on the lot.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Vehicle shopping again with a little more gusto. Feel less manly looking at sports cars or semi sports cars like the 370z with an auto but I guess that's life. Kind of suprised there are that many autos on the lot.
Americans don't buy manuals or hatchbacks/wagons.

Fadaar

That guy
Lots of open highways and city streets that aren't super narrow, not surprising at all. If I lived in Europe I'd totally look at something like a Focus RS.

Borzak

So get a 370Z with a manual.
I can't operate one currently which is why I started looking at autos. I've driven a manual for most of my life so it's not like I never learned. Because I have a medical deal that mimics MS my left leg really isn't in shape to drive a manual for a while. It will recover 100% they tell me, but I want a car now. Walking and driving you really can't tell but I don't want to take 7 hour drives which I do pretty often in one.

My girlfriends car has has the "flappy paddle" shift of a semi auto. I hate that thing with a passion.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I can't operate one currently which is why I started looking at autos. I've driven a manual for most of my life so it's not like I never learned. Because I have a medical deal that mimics MS my left leg really isn't in shape to drive a manual for a while. It will recover 100% they tell me, but I want a car now. Walking and driving you really can't tell but I don't want to take 7 hour drives which I do pretty often in one.

My girlfriends car has has the "flappy paddle" shift of a semi auto. I hate that thing with a passion.
I don't know what your GF drives but my guess would be that the reason you hate it is you haven't driven a modern DCT or even a performance ZF 8 speed. They do indeed suck when it's attached to a slushbox but a tuned performance automatic transmission is many times faster than the fastest manual transmission. I fully admit the reason I have a stick in my car is because I like driving with it - it's absolutely slower than any modern tuned auto transmission.

Borzak

I don't know what your GF drives but my guess would be that the reason you hate it is you haven't driven a modern DCT or even a performance ZF 8 speed. They do indeed suck when it's attached to a slushbox but a tuned performance automatic transmission is many times faster than the fastest manual transmission. I fully admit the reason I have a stick in my car is because I like driving with it - it's absolutely slower than any modern tuned auto transmission.
Maserati GT.

No I've never had it to 185.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Must have gotten that Maser last week, if it hasn't fallen to pieces yet. And, the Maserati trans is NOT a dual-clutch or anything in the current generation, even. It's widely criticized as one of the worst transmissions put in a car in the last decade. So, you're feelings about it are correct.

Anyway, to echo what Palum said: There are many really good (even if less engaging than a true manual) dual-clutch or ZF8 equipped cars you can have fun with. At a reasonable price there's: Golf GTI or GLI, BMW 335/435 and 235, Audi S3, Lexus RC 350 (not the same trans, but good), et al. If you move up to the 60-80 range, you get the new Corvette, M3/M4, new C63 AMG, Hellcat siblings, and a lot of fantastic Porsche Caymens or Boxters about 1-3 years old with a PDK.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Caymans and Boxsters and 911's started coming with the PDK in 2009. So did M3's w/ DCT.

Borzak

Must have gotten that Maser last week, if it hasn't fallen to pieces yet. And, the Maserati trans is NOT a dual-clutch or anything in the current generation, even. It's widely criticized as one of the worst transmissions put in a car in the last decade. So, you're feelings about it are correct.

Anyway, to echo what Palum said: There are many really good (even if less engaging than a true manual) dual-clutch or ZF8 equipped cars you can have fun with. At a reasonable price there's: Golf GTI or GLI, BMW 335/435 and 235, Audi S3, Lexus RC 350 (not the same trans, but good), et al. If you move up to the 60-80 range, you get the new Corvette, M3/M4, new C63 AMG, Hellcat siblings, and a lot of fantastic Porsche Caymens or Boxters about 1-3 years old with a PDK.
It's a 2009 I think, she hasn't had any problems with it other than regular maintenance. It's not that I hate it for the performance part. I just fucking hate the entire paddle shifter deal.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's a 2009 I think, she hasn't had any problems with it other than regular maintenance. It's not that I hate it for the performance part. I just fucking hate the entire paddle shifter deal.
You're not alone, believe me (my last 3 daily drivers were either ZF or DCT cars with paddles), but the world's trend is towards ease of use - laziness - and these sorts of things are going to be more common each year. If you're leg isn't up to it, make due with what you can tolerate and just look forward to the day you have another manual. I've been without myself for 2 and a half years now as we've grown our businesses, but stayed in the same house with limited garage space. I feel your pain. I'm desperate for another sports car too.

Borzak

Well the commute to the office is about 3-5 minutes so not a big deal. But I make about a 6-7 hour trip every 4-6 weeks to see family and that would get old in a hurry considering the timing. If I leave at 11 on Friday when I get off work I get there right in time for an hour or more of sitting in traffic. Of course I could take my truck but that would defeat the purpose of getting a new vehicle.

Probably just go auto. I could trade it in or sell it and buy another in a year or two if the leg improves enough.

I read somewhere that someone said the best anti theft device in a large town was a manual transmission lol as many people can't drive them anymore.

redbandana

Molten Core Raider
rrr_img_99179.jpg
rrr_img_99180.jpg
rrr_img_99181.jpg
rrr_img_99182.jpg
rrr_img_99183.jpg
rrr_img_99184.jpg

My car. I just traded my '06 Chevy Colorado in for a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. I know it's not fast, I don't give a shit that it's not luxurious. It was cheap, low miles and 100k mile warranty and it gets way better gas mileage than that truck. I put about 6k miles on my vehicles per year, since I live 9 miles from work, so hopefully should last me for quite some time.