What vehicle do you drive?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Still waiting for an explanation why a car is something to be obsessed over
I don't know how to explain it. Ever since I was little I've loved cars and since I've been able to drive I've loved them even more. There's just something about being in a good car driving down a fun road that makes me forget about all the shit in this world that is horrible and I can be care free like I'm a kid again.

Also, if you've never driven a truly great car and have only driven shitters then you're really missing out on what car SHOULD drive like. I got a Chrysler 200 for a rental last summer and was astounded at how bad a vehicle can be, I would have shot myself if I had designed that car and it made it to the showroom floor. I think at this point car manufacturers just want to make shit as cheap as possible with the highest mark-up.

Edit: Kinda of like you're obsessed with being a negative asshole. I really hope that you're trolling and not this negative and pissy.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Now its 3 people butt hurt over nothing.
rrr_img_99496.png

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Also, if you've never driven a truly great car and have only driven shitters then you're really missing out on what car SHOULD drive like. I got a Chrysler 200 for a rental last summer and was astounded at how bad a vehicle can be, I would have shot myself if I had designed that car and it made it to the showroom floor. I think at this point car manufacturers just want to make shit as cheap as possible with the highest mark-up.
Same here, earlier this year I had to hire a car while mine was at the mechanics. Before hiring the car I was actually looking forward to seeing how it would be / might be.

It was terrible. A pissy weak Nissan with some eco engine. just everything was bad, the ergonimics even, I'm pretty tall and so for my seating position (even after trying to adjust it best I could) the rear view mirror was nearly half way down the windscreen. At intersections I was having to rest my chin on the top of the steering wheel to give me a clear view in all directions.

The mirror position was a result of (best I could work out) the car's body shape and then the rear windows height+shape meaning that the mirror had to be placed where it was, despite . . .um . . logic.

My car is small, smaller than that rental, a sporty hot hatch, but a better design and everything is placed just fine for me. I was so glad to get back into it.

It comes down to owning and operating a good, well designed piece of equipment.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Kinda of like you're obsessed with being a negative asshole.
Really? I am the asshole for asking you a question? Not the guy trolling by asking about sex in a toaster. Not the guy calling me miserable for having an opinion? How about the dude who thinks he is so cool he has to post picture of his opinions?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Justboughta Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD. Never thought I'd buy a Cadillac but after test driving the Audi A4 (I couldn't get the sign-off for a S4 from the Mrs. since she's never had that type of power before *sigh* and it wasn't comfortable for her; the power is equal to the other competitors driven, women make no sense sometimes), a 335i, and a left-over Merc C350, it was apparent the Germans are being equalled by their American counters. All were priced very similar to the ATS, so price wasn't really a factor. The ride, comfort, quality (out of an American brand, wow), and performance of the Germans were beaten by the ATS, which is baffling. I looked online at numerous reviews, and most reviewers said pretty much all the same. Slightly slower than the 335i, but severely outhandles it. Technology-wise, it has more features than the rest (the HUD is such a small thing, but I don't think I could have a car wthout it now). Only downside is the CUE system is, so-so (not as inuitive, slightly slower performance wise; it did not lack features thanfully). The iDrive system was amazing, but they've also had 10+ years to perfect it.

I am just in shock that out of all german comparables, the ATS (in my opinion) was the best over-all.. From a damn domestic brand... I wish they still made the G-series Infinitis, still the best performance small sedan car I've ever owned. The Q is NOT the replacement by any stretch.
Yea the ATS is pretty damn sweet. As I've stated to numerous people recently, the days of euro brands straight outstripping domestics are just done except in the niche 6 figure+ luxury-only segment. The only notable exception in my mind is Audi, which is still a cut above the others (though probably still lagging on the tech side $ for $). The Japanese have done nothing exciting in well over a decade and basically the Koreans have replaced their spot in the market.

Hekotat

Really? I am the asshole for asking you a question? Not the guy trolling by asking about sex in a toaster. Not the guy calling me miserable for having an opinion? How about the dude who thinks he is so cool he has to post picture of his opinions?
My bag, hard to tell your actual tone through a message board. Carry on.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Yea the ATS is pretty damn sweet. As I've stated to numerous people recently, the days of euro brands straight outstripping domestics are just done except in the niche 6 figure+ luxury-only segment. The only notable exception in my mind is Audi, which is still a cut above the others (though probably still lagging on the tech side $ for $). The Japanese have done nothing exciting in well over a decade and basically the Koreans have replaced their spot in the market.
Mine has the automatic (with paddle shifters) and I must say, the shift-time in manual mode is incredibly quick. It is almost equivalent to maybe 1st-2nd Gen VW DSG transmissions and handles multi-gear downshifts nicely. I will always prefer a manual overall, but with my commute to/from work, having an auto will definitely be more comfortable for me in the long run and she doesn't know how to drive a manual, so needed someting she could drive once and awhile.

Honestly, I was incredibly disappointed in some of the Audi's interior qualities. I have also seen and heard that their initial quality is high, their longterm is mediocre. The leather seats in every German car I've owned (or friend's cars) have worn out incredibly fast compared to a lot of other brands (such as Cadillac and Infiniti). Some that I have owned have also turned into rattle cans before even 40k miles (yet again, same with several of my friend's cars and also the Mrs. prior BMW). My dad's Cadillac STS with 150k miles had leather that looked like it just came off the lot. My prior BMWs all had very noticeable wear at around 75k miles (and I condition my leather 4 times a year)

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Automakers have been trying to phase out manuals for years, there's still just enough of us left to keep them from doing it. I miss the glory days, when this country was obsessed with speed.

Recent generations don't seem to give a shit about cars or even cruise anymore, it breaks my heart.
I went with an automatic since its faster than a manual transmission =p I think these days it's people that aren't obsessed with speed that go for a manual transmission. In less than a second I'm already in 4th gear and it takes a computer to get that timing down with minimal power loss.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I went with an automatic since its faster than a manual transmission =p I think these days it's people that aren't obsessed with speed that go for a manual transmission. In less than a second I'm already in 4th gear and it takes a computer to get that timing down with minimal power loss.
Yes, autos are much faster (properly tuned/built of course). It's not even comparable, really. It's purely for driving feel.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Going from an Evo X to a 335 to an A3.... yep, miss the manual. Especially since both the Evo and the 335 have essentially "perfect" manual transmissions. The only problem with the Evo was that it wasn't geared for highway cruising... no I don't need to accelerate from 110 to 150 in a timely manner, but I'd like to cruise the freeway at 75mph without much exhaust noise and decent fuel economy.... I guess I just wasn't the target audience for the evo.

My next car I'll almost definitely go back to a manual. Maybe go for a boxter or something. I can't see replacing my current car for at least 6-7 years.

Hekotat

It's just not as fun though. No clutch kicks or clutch dumping in an auto!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The only thing manuals do better still (IMO) could be eliminated by proper transmission tuning and paddle shifters. Most autos I've driven (including the newest gen performance models) still 'brute force' multi-gear shifts and even then, they don't 'stack' them. I think an auto with double paddle (top 1 gear up/down and bottom 2 gear up/down while in sport mode) would really liven up driving feel and let you 'preemptively' aggressively down shift.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Toasters won't give you the same sense of pride when you beef it up to more than it's stock components. Toasters don't tell everyone around you "I'm doing well in life." Toasters can't give you a rush or the feel of doing 150mph. Your 1985 Sentra can't hit a turn at 90mph smooth as butter. Bitches will choose the ugly mofo in the Maybach over the cute guy in the Dodge Neon.

I can see, hear, feel the results of my money being spent with my car (whether good or bad). I can show YOU those same results without saying a word to you as I pass you by. For some people status matters...cars are one of the few ways people can show their status with little to no interaction with said person.

There are many reasons for car obsession, choose one.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Toasters won't give you the same sense of pride when you beef it up to more than it's stock components. Toasters don't tell everyone around you "I'm doing well in life." Toasters can't give you a rush or the feel of doing 150mph. Your 1985 Sentra can't hit a turn at 90mph smooth as butter. Bitches will choose the ugly mofo in the Maybach over the cute guy in the Dodge Neon.

I can see, hear, feel the results of my money being spent with my car (whether good or bad). I can show YOU those same results without saying a word to you as I pass you by. For some people status matters...cars are one of the few ways people can show their status with little to no interaction with said person.

There are many reasons for car obsession, choose one.
Bitch please, my toaster is stainless.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The only thing manuals do better still (IMO) could be eliminated by proper transmission tuning and paddle shifters. Most autos I've driven (including the newest gen performance models) still 'brute force' multi-gear shifts and even then, they don't 'stack' them. I think an auto with double paddle (top 1 gear up/down and bottom 2 gear up/down while in sport mode) would really liven up driving feel and let you 'preemptively' aggressively down shift.
My new car has the paddle shifters (Dodge Challenger)...I much rather the stick/clutch for the fun of driving. Not saying the paddles aren't fun, they are, especially on the down shifts, but I rather the feel of a clutch/stick. But I do agree with you. The paddles are more efficient IMO. The tech of the car makes up for so many bad shifts (I let my mother drive one time...oh god it was cringing).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Now its 3 people butt hurt over nothing.
I'm not butthurt dude. I'm not even a car enthusiast, we are getting reported posts here so I thought I'd check it out. You're entitled to your own opinion, but being a shithead about it is pointless.