What vehicle do you drive?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Welp, a year after buying the 435i (a car I really liked, and my first "sports/sporty" car) I ended up at the Porsche dealer last weekend looking for a Boxster/Cayman. Neither car felt faster than my BMW, but both were markedly better to drive - in fact, since selling my motorcycle last year I haven't had that much fun on the road..... ever? That said, the new 718's are coming out later this year for both cars so threatening to wait the dealer gave me a pretty decent deal on a Boxster base with some of the packages, etc. Couldn't decide between Cayman or Boxster (Cayman has a nicer shape and much nicer looking rear), but with the weather being 70-80 degrees, there was something appealing about the convertible so that's the way I went. Really pleased with the decision and I think the wife and I will drive it to Carmel this summer instead of flying. Will still drive the truck everyday as a DD, but I can't really explain how much fun this car is, even with a "small" engine. Reckon I'll keep it a few years and trade up at some point for the newer Cayman/Boxster S or something, as I can already feel the need for more speed, hehe.

rrr_img_127775.jpg
Very cool car, watch out out for that legendary Porsche snap oversteer, It takes out even the best drivers.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Haha that's a horrible picture of it. Guess it's not for everybody but I wanted it damnit!
mad.png

rrr_img_127787.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Okay, I have a 1999 Ford Ranger. It's a fine truck, four door, does what I want it to. Six cylinder, rear wheel drive.

It sucks the balls of satan in snow conditions. Breaking? Sure! you mean sliding until you hit something, right?

It's a great truck in most senses. However, I live where snow falls. I want to know if people here have experience with larger trucks. If I get an F150 crew cab 4wd is it going to be that much better in snow? I just don't feel safe in this stupid truck...

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Okay, I have a 1999 Ford Ranger. It's a fine truck, four door, does what I want it to. Six cylinder, rear wheel drive.

It sucks the balls of satan in snow conditions. Breaking? Sure! you mean sliding until you hit something, right?

It's a great truck in most senses. However, I live where snow falls. I want to know if people here have experience with larger trucks. If I get an F150 crew cab 4wd is it going to be that much better in snow? I just don't feel safe in this stupid truck...
No.

Here's the checklist:
  • snow tires
  • 200 lb ballast over rear axle

Enjoy!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of AWD/4x4 but it's not going to make nearly as much difference as the above.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
No.

Here's the checklist:
  • snow tires
  • 200 lb ballast over rear axle

Enjoy!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of AWD/4x4 but it's not going to make nearly as much difference as the above.
But that's the thing. I have four 50 lb sand bags in the box and snow tires on the truck. The brakes lock up. It's terrible.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Very cool car, watch out out for that legendary Porsche snap oversteer, It takes out even the best drivers.
No. It "did" on the old 911's, which have a rear engine. Boxters/Caymens are mid-engined. However, even the new 911's don't suffer from this due to mechanical and electronic nannies now fitted. They are perfectly safe.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

It'll come down to tires; always does. The truck isn't the issue. AWD/4x4 helps to go and turn, but stopping is down to tires.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
But that's the thing. I have four 50 lb sand bags in the box and snow tires on the truck. The brakes lock up. It's terrible.
Link your tires and how many miles you have on them please?

Also, don't take this the wrong way but if you are experiencing locking brakes then I think you need more training to deal with driving in heavy snow. 99 so maybe no ABS but part of dealing with snow is finesse with control inputs. Let's see the tires first, though.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Link your tires and how many miles you have on them please?

Also, don't take this the wrong way but if you are experiencing locking brakes then I think you need more training to deal with driving in heavy snow. 99 so maybe no ABS but part of dealing with snow is finesse with control inputs. Let's see the tires first, though.
It's not an experience issue, though I totally understand where you're coming from. That's my frustration. I'm an experienced snow driver, in all kinds of vehicles. These particular brakes seem to lock too easily, and take too long to unlock so steering is an issue, too. I have Yokohama tires, maybe 5K miles on them. Decent tires, nice truck, but something isn't right.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's not an experience issue, though I totally understand where you're coming from. That's my frustration. I'm an experienced snow driver, in all kinds of vehicles. These particular brakes seem to lock too easily, and take too long to unlock so steering is an issue, too. I have Yokohama tires, maybe 5K miles on them. Decent tires, nice truck, but something isn't right.
What ones please, can you get the model off the sidewall? Also tire size please.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
No. It "did" on the old 911's, which have a rear engine. Boxters/Caymens are mid-engined. However, even the new 911's don't suffer from this due to mechanical and electronic nannies now fitted. They are perfectly safe.
Calm down there buddy, I'm not a Porsche connoisseur.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Welp, a year after buying the 435i (a car I really liked, and my first "sports/sporty" car) I ended up at the Porsche dealer last weekend looking for a Boxster/Cayman. Neither car felt faster than my BMW, but both were markedly better to drive - in fact, since selling my motorcycle last year I haven't had that much fun on the road..... ever? That said, the new 718's are coming out later this year for both cars so threatening to wait the dealer gave me a pretty decent deal on a Boxster base with some of the packages, etc. Couldn't decide between Cayman or Boxster (Cayman has a nicer shape and much nicer looking rear), but with the weather being 70-80 degrees, there was something appealing about the convertible so that's the way I went. Really pleased with the decision and I think the wife and I will drive it to Carmel this summer instead of flying. Will still drive the truck everyday as a DD, but I can't really explain how much fun this car is, even with a "small" engine. Reckon I'll keep it a few years and trade up at some point for the newer Cayman/Boxster S or something, as I can already feel the need for more speed, hehe.
Boxsters are the worst kind of Porsche, every boxster I've ever worked on has been a douchebag of a customer. I'm assuming you can afford it with the X5 and maybe X3 in the photo but everyone I've ever worked on has been a guy who can barely make payments so freaks out when we charge him and don't cut him a deal. Not sure what 4 series you had but i would have gone for the M4 cause that's a damn good looking car, though it's not a convertible.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Boxsters are the worst kind of Porsche, every boxster I've ever worked on has been a douchebag of a customer. I'm assuming you can afford it with the X5 and maybe X3 in the photo but everyone I've ever worked on has been a guy who can barely make payments so freaks out when we charge him and don't cut him a deal. Not sure what 4 series you had but i would have gone for the M4 cause that's a damn good looking car, though it's not a convertible.
There are convertible M4s.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
There are convertible M4s.
Which is about the dumbest thing ever. The whole idea behind the M series is that they're lighter, faster, and handle better. The exact opposite of what making a car a convertible does.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Someone buying a convertible is probably not concerned about the added weight. Even not taking into account the weight, I've never liked the look of a convertible in comparison to a coupe of the same model.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
It's not just weight. It's body rigidity as well. But yeah, I agree, someone looking for a convertible probably doesn't care about those things. So why buy an M4 in the first place? If you don't care about performance, they're not very good cars. They have worse rides because of the stiffer suspension etc. and you're paying for a bunch of shit you supposedly don't care about.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
It's not just weight. It's body rigidity as well. But yeah, I agree, someone looking for a convertible probably doesn't care about those things. So why buy an M4 in the first place? If you don't care about performance, they're not very good cars. They have worse rides because of the stiffer suspension etc. and you're paying for a bunch of shit you supposedly don't care about.
Everyone buy a Miata M5 !