What vehicle do you drive?

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Yea I fought state farm a bit. I got some of the money I put in back, but not all of it sadly. I was also young and pretty inexperienced with this stuff so I totally made some mistakes along the way.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Yeah I was ensured by the agent that everything would be covered if I had the receipts, I'm assuming he was just saying this to get the business. I was also young and naive, never again.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If you put a lot of work into your car you should have a stated value policy and not worry about their bullshit.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you put a lot of work into your car you should have a stated value policy and not worry about their bullshit.
Do you know of an insurer that will do this with ANY car? I actually had an extremely tough time with this type of policy and my 2009 truck. I put in custom engines, transmission, and about 50 other modifications I wanted covered in the event of an accident. I was actually willing to pay more to get a stated value policy(obviously) but they would not offer it as the car was not old enough to be classified as vintage or whatever. They did allow me to bring the covered value up a limited about, but it wouldn't nearly cover if I were to get in an accident.

I'd love to get a list of companies that would cover my non-vintage custom modifications if you know of any.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Do you know of an insurer that will do this with ANY car? I actually had an extremely tough time with this type of policy and my 2009 truck. I put in custom engines, transmission, and about 50 other modifications I wanted covered in the event of an accident. I was actually willing to pay more to get a stated value policy(obviously) but they would not offer it as the car was not old enough to be classified as vintage or whatever. They did allow me to bring the covered value up a limited about, but it wouldn't nearly cover if I were to get in an accident.

I'd love to get a list of companies that would cover my non-vintage custom modifications if you know of any.
Don't know about "any" car, but the guys I've known with heavily built vehicles used Hagerty.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yea I tried them. They only did modified "classic" cars, nothing after a certain year. I'll look up CHUBB.
Let me know what you find out, thats interesting. I have talked to several guys with 911's with 50k in engine work, for example, that claim to have stated value policies, and guys with show cars that have $10k paint jobs, etc. But never got the specifics.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

Hagerty should.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Nothing as fancy as that lovely Z . I have a black 2014 Nissan Maxima premium. Fully loaded drives like a dream.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Well, like I said - mistakes were made. I was young and I goofed (This was over 10 years ago). Lesson learned. This Z is insured with a declared value through state farm. I had to submit receipts for all parts and any labor. I let them know it was a restoration project that was ongoing, and they told me I could continue to increase the amount insured as I progressed.

@Chanur - hey, sometimes nothing beats a great ride. There are plenty of days I'm sitting in SoCal traffic with my Evo that I wish I was in an auto that rode like a dream.

Yall have coilovers on a DD, who are you, Teddy Roosevelt? I have read a lot of people advising to steer clear of coilovers for daily use, due to such a stiff/rough ride. If I could justify the expense, it was going to be one of the first mods I was going to make, until I started reading the negative options from those DD people.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
I don't run coilovers on my Evo, but the Z is actually a stock coilover. I just upgraded mine from the shitty ones from 1976 to something more modern and actually comfortable. My setup is definitely not for racing, and with the right setup it can be quite comfy. I will agree, at least in most modern cars, a set of race specific coilovers would be pretty terrible for a DD.

*edit - I actually had the luxury of spending some time in a Z similar to mine with the exact suspension setup I have. I know several Z owners and have a family friend that operates a Z shop, so I had access to pretty much anything I wanted to try out before I invested. My original buy list was about 10% of what I ended up with due to this.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yall have coilovers on a DD, who are you, Teddy Roosevelt? I have read a lot of people advising to steer clear of coilovers for daily use, due to such a stiff/rough ride. If I could justify the expense, it was going to be one of the first mods I was going to make, until I started reading the negative options from those DD people.
Depends what you go with and the quality of the product, as well as installation. You trying to turn your Civic into a racecar for $367? Yeah, the coilovers will be shit and it'll ride like shit(ier). You spending a few thousand dollars on just suspension components for an already good car? It'll be smooth as butter; supple like a Rolls Royce, yet firm and confidence-inspiring like a GT3 Porsche.

Madruk: You've got a great looking car on your hands. Kudos for all the hard work and the time put into making what you want. That's a rare thing these days. We're all pretty interested at the end result.

I don't run coilovers on my Evo, but the Z is actually a stock coilover. I just upgraded mine from the shitty ones from 1976 to something more modern and actually comfortable. My setup is definitely not for racing, and with the right setup it can be quite comfy. I will agree, at least in most modern cars, a set of race specific coilovers would be pretty terrible for a DD.

*edit - I actually had the luxury of spending some time in a Z similar to mine with the exact suspension setup I have. I know several Z owners and have a family friend that operates a Z shop, so I had access to pretty much anything I wanted to try out before I invested. My original buy list was about 10% of what I ended up with due to this.
Getting to test ride a bunch of potential mods sounds awesome, but I am not sure about the buying 90% more mods than originally planed! It does look pretty cool though.

Depends what you go with and the quality of the product, as well as installation. You trying to turn your Civic into a racecar for $367? Yeah, the coilovers will be shit and it'll ride like shit(ier). You spending a few thousand dollars on just suspension components for an already good car? It'll be smooth as butter; supple like a Rolls Royce, yet firm and confidence-inspiring like a GT3 Porsche.
It would be on a 2005 Corvette (C6). I really need to replace the bump stops on the Blistein B8s again, so just replacing with coilovers usually come to mind when I think about taking the car apart. Then I start researching coilovers, read the negative opinions for use on a daily driver, and put it off.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
@fwb - Sorry, maybe I worded that poorly - I only ended up purchasing 10% of the specific items I had on my original list. 90% of the things on my list were changed after testing several options, so I ended up purchasing a different type of part, if that makes sense (Example: I originally wanted a holset hx35 turbo, but ended up with a garrett gtx3076r).

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Here are some shots of the l28et motor and my new turbo. The stock turbos are air cooled, the new turbo is water cooled. We had to tap the block and hand bend new lines for all the cooling, as well as relocate some oil lines. This took about 3 days to get right. The shots were of the motor in my first 240 that I sold, so ignore the poor condition of the engine bay - it was just to mock up the motor and get some measurements for intercooler piping (which we also have to custom make).

rrr_img_136826.jpg
rrr_img_136827.jpg
rrr_img_136828.jpg
rrr_img_136829.jpg

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
When I was a whee youngster I had worked out a deal with this small Z shop in SoCal to install a 280 turbo motor into a 1971 240. The bank how ever crushed that dream of a young 19 year old.