What vehicle do you drive?

Silence_sl

shitlord
I've got a new RAM 2500, Laramie package, mega cab. I LOVE it, but fuck if I am ever going to pay $50k for another vehicle in my life. I'm going to be pissing blood when my boat comes in.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Boats are holes in the water to throw money in to, especially if you live in a place you'll have to winterize it. Winterize it in the fall, service it in the spring, use it for a few months, and repeat.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
After buying the truck, he's going to be living in a boat.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Since there seem to be a lot of Mustang owners around here I figured this is as good a place as any to post this.

I love my Mustang (pic a few pages back). It's my daily driver, and I drive a LOT for work (average 1-1.5k a month just bouncing between Dallas/Austin/San Antonio/Houston). Unfortunately I have to take a lot of conference calls and WebEx action in my car (Sync for bluetooth makes this bearable). I have noticed a lot more road noise than I would like while at highway speeds so I am trying to tame the road noise in my Mustang, mostly for the sake of being able to take calls on the road better.. My baseline was hitting 83-85db on I-35 doing 80.

First stop was to beef up the stock weatherstipping around the windows. I added a thin rope of rubber to make them a bit firmer:
xnlXnDR.jpg

This dropped me down to around 75-77db, a slight but noticeable improvement.

Looking at my next step I'm thinking about using some of this :http://www.amazon.com/DEI-050220-Boo...words=boom+mat.
The idea was to pull the carpet out of the trunk and coat the entire inside, then put the carpet back on. Has anybody else had experience doing something like that?

Steps after that are probably new tires. I have mid range Pirelli's on it right now. Looking at these :http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1-9a2d01e6f7ba
Anybody have experience looking for an extreme road noise controlling performance tire?

If those can't make things more workable the next step is the more extreme. Pull the seats and interior carpet and lay down soundproofing mat under it. Or find some way to improve the underbody coating/firewall soundproofing.

Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
No idea, my work truck is so god damn loud from it's tires and the sound of wind over the ladder rack/ladders that I have to have my stereo up real high just to hear it.

I have yet to see any install threads use a spray in sound deadener.

Here is a rather in depth install thread for a corvette with links to other install threads.LINK
GM put hardly any insulation in the car to reduce weight and cost. So you will find many threads on sound deadening on the forums.

That thread may be a little overboard. I have read a few install threads where people use much less Dynomat (or similar product) in key areas to purported success. Anywhere you have a large panel, it will vibrate and transfer noise. If you smack a square of dynomat in the middle of the panel, it will reduce the resonance and interior noise, or so they say.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I was looking at dynomat for inside the doors at one point. Thanks for the link, I think there are some parts of that I can definitely incorporate. I do like the way he did the doors and I know that's one of the places I am still weak on outside sound getting in.

Just with my company effectively paying the car off for me (Better than standard mileage money on expenses) my goal is to keep the car in good enough shape and once it's finished being paid off drive it until the wheels fall off.

nawcor

Lord Nagafen Raider
If youre that serious about eliminating road noise, do like you said and pull the carpet and lay it down all the way up as far as you can into the firewall. The doors are a good idea too if you want to go that far into it, if you spend the money to do it, it really does work. I recommend just usinghttp://www.fatmat.com/. I have used both and I couldnt tell any difference between the two.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Sweet, bros! I'm in Dallas too, lets all meet up and see who is the fastest. I live in Oak Cliff! We can meet at the Wal-mart there...

You can race all around this side of town, for the cops are busy with.... other things....
Seriously we should all meet up at Jac Mac's Swill and Grill and talk cars on a Friday, me and some fellow car guys try to go every Friday I'm off. Would be intersting to meet a few fellow FoHer's err I mean RR'ers

Hekotat

Been driving a BMW for 10 years, over half of that out of warranty, and the only repair I've had to do outside of basic maintenance was a water pump with a cracked impeller. Otherwise they've been bulletproof. Dad and bro along with their spouses only drive BMWs and Audis, and it's much the same there. I have no idea why anyone thinks that they're bad for maintenance. Are they Toyotas? No, but they're not 1980's Jaguars either.

And why anyone would take a "trip to the dealer" with a car outside of warranty, regardless of manufacturer, I have no idea. You might have to be a bit more selective than taking it to just any independent mechanic, but virtually any medium sized city is going to have a mechanic who specializes on German cars and is half the price of the dealer.
It all comes down to how you treat your car and if you can work on them yourself, that alone can save you thousands. I will only take my GTi to the dealership if something fails that's not supposed to and so far I've had no issues.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
If you guys want to do a Dallas meet up and are OK with Oak Cliff, then we need to be doing a meal at Wingfields.... But that's another story. I live over on the NW corner of town, around 4 miles from the Gas Monkey garage.

It has been some time since I worked the South Dallas area. My comment was a jape about Oak Cliff and to see people racing their expensive cars though one of the most notable crime riddled areas.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I figured it was something along those lines. Born and raised in Dallas. Spent most of my youth as a Grove Rat and East Dallas boy who went to school in oak Cliff.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
2012 Hundae Elantra Touring. First car that keeps catching my eye and makes me just want to drive.

Hekotat

Oak Cliff scares me just by reputation but we can try to figure something out when I get back from North Dakota, I have 10 off when I land on the 16th.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'd be cool with a Dallas meet up.

Slightly off topic but following considerable research I had Opti-Coat applied to my new car over the weekend. Amazing stuff and I highly recommend it to anyone that likes to keep their paint in tip top shape. It hadn't even been 48 hrs since the application when my car got covered in tree sap while parked at the gym. Normally removal would entail a lot of work and a clay bar, but with the Opti-Coat the sap just slid right off via a normal hand wash. This stuff is a semi-permanent clear coat, not some wax or polymer gimmick that wears off after a month.

Hekotat

Damn, that sounds fucking awesome. I'm going to have to look into that shit, I plan on waxing when I return so this might be a prime time to apply that stuff.

Siliconemelons

Iboughtthe Xylon or whatever the hell its called for my van, its the same Nissan platinum graphite that my murano was and that paint- out of all paint I have ever had on cars was sooooooo susceptible to love bugs. So Iboughtit for nothing less than its warranty- if the product does all it says, great- if not I have the warranty that comes with it :p