What vehicle do you drive?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would think you would have misfires on some cylinders and running rough before being unable to start, if the plugs were getting that caked in carbon. You shouldn't need to be a mechanic to check the plugs though.

Plugs are cheap, spacing tool is cheap, you only need 4 plugs, and you can find the spacing requirements online. About the worst thing you could fuck up is cross threading the plugs, so just start them by hand, like you would a regular ol bolt, and you are gtg.

Hell, if they are covered in black when you take them out, grab some break cleaner and spray down the end of the plugs and put them back in the engine once they are clean and dry, or test them with a voltmeter.

Youtube has videos of just about anything car mechanic related:

I'd agree, but the last time it was rather quick. Once in a while a hiccup sharing but had seemed fine. My memory bad maybe it was injectors, but either way it was completely dead and fixed cheaply. I didn't pay that much attention either as it was my wife's spare car I avoided because it's a pretty gay looking car.

Either way stuck out of town a week, might do ok taking it in given out here Random service things can be silly cheap at times.

Burns

I'd agree, but the last time it was rather quick. Once in a while a hiccup sharing but had seemed fine. My memory bad maybe it was injectors, but either way it was completely dead and fixed cheaply. I didn't pay that much attention either as it was my wife's spare car I avoided because it's a pretty gay looking car.

Either way stuck out of town a week, might do ok taking it in given out here Random service things can be silly cheap at times.
While I agree, the Juke is a pretty ugly vehicle, I think I would do almost anything not to be trapped in the current vehicle market. At least after reading all the posts in this thread about what people have experienced over the past few years.

Sludig

Prices are starting to tank as well, I'd definitely hold off.
Just sucks get antsy without a spare car as this leaves me with a truck that might go soon as well and 100 mile commutes at 10mpg.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

Screenshot 2022-09-03 at 18-10-14 Apple’s Car Is Beloved Before It Even Exists.png

Apple-Car-AH_jpg.png

de1282ba495412438b56a14ea588367e_926x640.gif

• 7Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Sludig

Well, got the juke running again for a bit. A bunch of random codes I didnt chase down w/ my new local friend, worst of which was a turbo servo something or another. But main culprit was plugs fouled again after about a year and another 30-50k miles since last time. One of the plugs even had wet oil on them. Not sure if I spilled enough it got in and seeped in recently when topping off, but maybe related to an oil leak on the valve cover area somewhere. (I burn about a quart a month/2000 miles, only lose volume when driving it, doesn't leak stopped)

Torn on wanting to be rid of this thing, and not overpaying 20k for a 70k mile basic GTI/elantra/whatever else was local in bum fuck no where.

• 1Like

Burns

Well, got the juke running again for a bit. A bunch of random codes I didnt chase down w/ my new local friend, worst of which was a turbo servo something or another. But main culprit was plugs fouled again after about a year and another 30-50k miles since last time. One of the plugs even had wet oil on them. Not sure if I spilled enough it got in and seeped in recently when topping off, but maybe related to an oil leak on the valve cover area somewhere. (I burn about a quart a month/2000 miles, only lose volume when driving it, doesn't leak stopped)

Torn on wanting to be rid of this thing, and not overpaying 20k for a 70k mile basic GTI/elantra/whatever else was local in bum fuck no where.
If you can smell oil burning when the car is running, then it could be the valve gasket or a valve seal(s) that has a leak. The gasket repair is not necessarily a major repair, but still at least a couple hundred (probably). A seal repair, on the other hand, is a major, upwards of a $1000+ repair.

According to the following site, those gaskets can start going bad as early as 60k miles (don't know how long seals last, on average).

No clue if it will cause any other issues, other than fouling up the plugs, as long as you keep topping off the oil that is lost.

Last edited:

Sludig

Moral of the story: never buy a Nissan.
It's hideous, but at 180k miles it served well. Never really started to hit any problems until about 140k ish. But tangentally, certainly less than glowing Z video's after the initial hype vids. Throttle house just shit on it for not being all that terribly faster than a nismo 370. (Though I wasn't clear, maybe it was modded)

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's hideous, but at 180k miles it served well. Never really started to hit any problems until about 140k ish. But tangentally, certainly less than glowing Z video's after the initial hype vids. Throttle house just shit on it for not being all that terribly faster than a nismo 370. (Though I wasn't clear, maybe it was modded)

I did see that particular review, along with a half dozen others. It's slower than all of its competition and it won't hold up as well/be as durable. Nissan has been in dire straights for almost 2 decades and their products - other than the GTR - are rental car quality.

Addendum; find a Toyota for something that will last a while and get good mpg.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Havnt had a chance to diagnose but I'm no mechanic, no codes, just tries to crank, hear it turning over, just doesn't light and go. So at a random guess fuel pump or last time with similar only like 25k miles ago was fouled spark plugs, leaks oil when driven. Maybe that simple again. 180k mile juke don't pretty well until now.

Basically last i checked car might be worth 2-3k so figure any repair over 1k hardly worth it, though probably still what we do just to be able to sell a bit easier.

Looking at a 40k mile elantra of all the things for like 18k is maybe where I'll swallow my pride. Not sure what else these days is consisted a reliable cheap car after yall enlightened me to some vw issues
Absolutely skip anything Korean.

Skip anything European.

Skip everything USA based.

Skip everything Japanese except maybe Honda.

Which leaves...Toyota. Early 2010+ Camry. Get one that hasn't been totalled/wrecked and with a full service history and you are Good To Go. $11k+. 100k miles no sweat if taken care of....which is mostly oil changes every 5k miles.

I looked for 6 months for a Tundra. I wanted 2014+ model. Looked at a lot of warts. Settled on a 2012 w/126k miles because full service history and kept as new. Interior...spotless clean. Underside the same way. Owner took it in for full service every year no matter what. Zero oil leaks anywhere. Zero leaks of anything at all.

Paint needs wax...that's it. I drove it across 3 states recently w/full load and U Haul trailer. For sure I was hauling ass in a lot of places. No squeaks or rattles. I had a fully loaded 2018 F250 from new which I hardly put miles on, but compared to the Tundra, it was trash.

I put Michelin tires on it and had it aligned. Owner gave it a full service before he sold it. Truck is smooth and quiet and not a vibration or shimmy to be found.

What does pride have to do with it. :D

I know a few wealthy people, and the top dog of them all drives one of these every day

2016-Kia-rio-digital-yellow_o-3978894193.png

• 1Like

Sludig

Absolutely skip anything Korean.

Skip anything European.

Skip everything USA based.

Skip everything Japanese except maybe Honda.

Which leaves...Toyota. Early 2010+ Camry. Get one that hasn't been totalled/wrecked and with a full service history and you are Good To Go. $11k+. 100k miles no sweat if taken care of....which is mostly oil changes every 5k miles.

I looked for 6 months for a Tundra. I wanted 2014+ model. Looked at a lot of warts. Settled on a 2012 w/126k miles because full service history and kept as new. Interior...spotless clean. Underside the same way. Owner took it in for full service every year no matter what. Zero oil leaks anywhere. Zero leaks of anything at all.

Paint needs wax...that's it. I drove it across 3 states recently w/full load and U Haul trailer. For sure I was hauling ass in a lot of places. No squeaks or rattles. I had a fully loaded 2018 F250 from new which I hardly put miles on, but compared to the Tundra, it was trash.

I put Michelin tires on it and had it aligned. Owner gave it a full service before he sold it. Truck is smooth and quiet and not a vibration or shimmy to be found.

What does pride have to do with it. :D

I know a few wealthy people, and the top dog of them all drives one of these every day

View attachment 431701
See more recent replies, but another car search challenge is local market, I swear I've seen next to no toyota's that arn't taco/4runner etc. No camry's that I noticed, must keep them all in OKC>

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since its going to be a popular car; I just read the MSRP on the GR Corolla could be as much as $50,000. ITS A GOD DAMN COROLLA!!!

• 1WTF
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Since its going to be a popular car; I just read the MSRP on the GR Corolla could be as much as $50,000. ITS A GOD DAMN COROLLA!!!
Saw some headlines yesterday, starts at 35 or 36 iirc. Does seem pricey, curious how it stacks up against similarly spec’s cars but I’m not interested in one.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw some headlines yesterday, starts at 35 or 36 iirc. Does seem pricey, curious how it stacks up against similarly spec’s cars but I’m not interested in one.

I think you're right. 3 trim levels; one starts at $37,000 and the highest is $50,000. Still seems like too much.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I think you're right. 3 trim levels; one starts at $37,000 and the highest is $50,000. Still seems like too much.

The US salesmen will make it unaffordable with ridiculous markups (Even without shortages) and keep shit like that from coming to our shores in the future.

• 1Solidarity