What vehicle do you drive?

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Rimac Nevara onboards on the Autobahn. About as close as you can get to driving an F1 car on public roads. Skip to about 2:00 for onboards, this thing is mental.

Closed cockpit, awd electric car stuffed with driving aids and luxuries.
Curb Weight: 5100lb.

You don't really think that's like driving an F1 car, do you? Ariel Atom, KTM Xbow etc do exist.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Closed cockpit, awd electric car stuffed with driving aids and luxuries.
Curb Weight: 5100lb.

You don't really think that's like driving an F1 car, do you? Ariel Atom, KTM Xbow etc do exist.

It's close in acceleration only. I assumed that was obvious to everyone that watched it. I can point out a few more differences if that helps you.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
It's close in acceleration only.

Well, by that standard

Accellerationonly.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Midwit

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Had Cayenne Coupe at the dealer last week on a service bulletin/seat issue and they had a new Taycan 4S on the lot. Drove it around town all week while waiting on car to be done... it was great! I'm an EV "hater" but I enjoyed it, has a really weird sort of "sucking" sound when accelerating that actually sounds kind of nice. No clue on reliability, range issues re: weather, long term prospects with EV's in general but it was really cool. Was getting roughly 250 miles per charge which seems low (especially compared to Tesla's). When I dropped it off to grab my SUV, I was sad to let it go. I've read the E Tron GT Audi is the same car but with better suspension and more comfortable to live with - the Taycan was fine, felt to me like a 718 or something in terms of harshness, road noise, firm suspension, etc. No real opinion other than I enjoyed the Taycan for what it was and can kind of see the niche now. It looks great as well and my wife was really stoked with the looks.

My biggest concern would be power outages in OKC (we get them a few times a year), range in winter, battery/range anxiety, and longer term reliability (though this is mostly a non-issue for somebody like me who flips in and out every few years and the battery warranty is something like 10 years).

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Had Cayenne Coupe at the dealer last week on a service bulletin/seat issue and they had a new Taycan 4S on the lot. Drove it around town all week while waiting on car to be done... it was great! I'm an EV "hater" but I enjoyed it, has a really weird sort of "sucking" sound when accelerating that actually sounds kind of nice. No clue on reliability, range issues re: weather, long term prospects with EV's in general but it was really cool. Was getting roughly 250 miles per charge which seems low (especially compared to Tesla's). When I dropped it off to grab my SUV, I was sad to let it go. I've read the E Tron GT Audi is the same car but with better suspension and more comfortable to live with - the Taycan was fine, felt to me like a 718 or something in terms of harshness, road noise, firm suspension, etc. No real opinion other than I enjoyed the Taycan for what it was and can kind of see the niche now. It looks great as well and my wife was really stoked with the looks.

My biggest concern would be power outages in OKC (we get them a few times a year), range in winter, battery/range anxiety, and longer term reliability (though this is mostly a non-issue for somebody like me who flips in and out every few years and the battery warranty is something like 10 years).
What’s your typical daily mileage, also I’d guess you were driving it a little harder than you will once you kinda settle in.

Unreliable power sucks, do you mean at home or across your whole neighborhood/region? You could do a little research into the reliability of nearby chargers. If you were really interested 😀

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You do the full circuit or the half? I know a guy in OKC that does this and he enjoys it, but hasn't been on one for awhile as the price keeps going up?

it was just one half of it given how many people actually participated (about 50% of cars sat out, afraid to crash).
No idea on prices because our day there was part of the total cost for the whole trip.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Winter ranges get hammered. Lack of radiator on an EV mean it uses an electric heater. Heaters are a serious drain. In essence, the range you see on the car is "max range" and it assumes ideal speed, no environmentals on, no heavy wind resistance etc.

Assuming you speed when you drive, run the AC etc, your real range is about 70% of that max range. So if your car says it's fully charged and has 240 miles, assume a real person driving it will get about 160 miles. In winter, running the heater (and factoring in that lithium batteries don't like the cold) it's closer to 50% real mileage.

Assuming you have a level 2 charger at home this really isn't an issue since you charge every night. Owning an EV without a level 2 charger at home is something I have never understood.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Winter ranges get hammered. Lack of radiator on an EV mean it uses an electric heater. Heaters are a serious drain. In essence, the range you see on the car is "max range" and it assumes ideal speed, no environmentals on, no heavy wind resistance etc.

Assuming you speed when you drive, run the AC etc, your real range is about 70% of that max range. So if your car says it's fully charged and has 240 miles, assume a real person driving it will get about 160 miles. In winter, running the heater (and factoring in that lithium batteries don't like the cold) it's closer to 50% real mileage.

Assuming you have a level 2 charger at home this really isn't an issue since you charge every night. Owning an EV without a level 2 charger at home is something I have never understood.
You just get electrician to run 240v outlet or you direct connect wall charger to power? Who makes good wall chargers? That’s about what I’d assumed so thanks for that!

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You just get electrician to run 240v outlet or you direct connect wall charger to power? Who makes good wall chargers? That’s about what I’d assumed so thanks for that!
Assuming you have a 150 or better yet a 200 amp service to the house, just have an electrician pop in a 60 amp breaker and dedicate it to a level 2 charger via hardwire. I know some folks who just have the electrician wire in a dedicated 240 outlet (like a dryer outlet) and they just plug in to that with their charge cord.

I prefer the Tesla charger but they are all "roughly" the same. The newer ones let you connect to them remotely and control/adjust them. A good home charger running 48 amps are in the $400-500 range and then the cost to install it. Depending on where you live, tax credits might cover the cost for you.

Note: I said 60 amp because generally you want to only flow about 80% of the amperage of a breaker through it for safety. Also modern level 2 chargers will automatically adjust the current flow to the breaker so if you have a 50 amp breaker it won't push through 48 amps unless you override it.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Assuming you have a 150 or better yet a 200 amp service to the house, just have an electrician pop in a 60 amp breaker and dedicate it to a level 2 charger via hardwire. I know some folks who just have the electrician wire in a dedicated 240 outlet (like a dryer outlet) and they just plug in to that with their charge cord.

I prefer the Tesla charger but they are all "roughly" the same. The newer ones let you connect to them remotely and control/adjust them. A good home charger running 48 amps are in the $400-500 range and then the cost to install it. Depending on where you live, tax credits might cover the cost for you.

Note: I said 60 amp because generally you want to only flow about 80% of the amperage of a breaker through it for safety. Also modern level 2 chargers will automatically adjust the current flow to the breaker so if you have a 50 amp breaker it won't push through 48 amps unless you override it.
In general, I'd say that range anxiety is overblown. Especially now with increased capacity and charging infrastructure compared to a few years ago. An interesting comparison/historical note: The first modern style gas station opened in 1913 and cars had been around for a few years before the Model T launched in 1908. EV's are just coming to their 'Model T' moment.

It doesn't get cold enough to have much effect here in southern California, but definitely have to crank the AC in the summer. The glass roof is great for ambient light, but definitely increases cabin temp. That said, we haven't noticed a drastic change in range or enough for us to think and change our habits. The biggest effect to range for me is how heavy my foot is feeling that day :D

We had a spare 240 line from switching our dryer to gas. Had our electrician run a line from the laundry too a convenient spot in the garage and have the Tesla charger plugged into it. I'm not sure but I think it was included when we boought our Model 3 in early 2019. So a couple hundred to run the line, fortunately we had just replaced the whole panel about a year prior and went with 200a to make sure to have room for future solar/charging etc.

• 2Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I can't remember if we talked about this already, but I'm amazed at what a difference the air conditioner makes. I get about 27-28 mpg in the city with my Ranger. When I run air conditioning consistently it's more lie 22 mpg. That seems ridiculous to me.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cross posted but a navel gazing thinking out loud kinda problem. (Spurred on by others asking about Tundra's)

Actually kinda looking at a tundra again maybe. I had wanted a maverick for light loads and being able to commute at 32 mpg combining utility and commuter. Reliability seems to have been shit and price gouging badly.
I wanted to wait a few years on my mustang that's been very underwhelming and see what Dodge/Toyota come out w/. However on top of already heavy depreciation, I feel like going to be an even bigger bath with interest rates getting absurd and not improving in near future, so thinking about gettting what I can back out of it now and grabbing either an utter shitbox, or the Tundra which at least should last a long time (my first went 0 issues 140k miles) and have enough tow rating to actually take a trailer with my loaned tractor from my dad etc. I think the biggest killer is the 15mpg commute even worse than 22 on the mustang. So might still try to swallow my pride and find some 30mpg shitbox maybe to pair with it.

Likewise, hardly ride my $20k kawasaki H2 out here, Got pretty good positive equity on it, thinking of paying it off and ditching it for no bike, or possibly just something really dopey basic occasionally for fun but wont cost me $110 a month sitting in my garage in insurance.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can't remember if we talked about this already, but I'm amazed at what a difference the air conditioner makes. I get about 27-28 mpg in the city with my Ranger. When I run air conditioning consistently it's more lie 22 mpg. That seems ridiculous to me.
Funny, I've noticed out here despite extreme heat, many ride windows down. Enough of them new enough cars I wouldn't think AC busted, so it had me wondering if no ac does make more mpg difference than I would have thought. Maybe so given every street racer trying to get every inch will make sure the AC is off before dragging.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Little motor having to work harder?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Funny, I've noticed out here despite extreme heat, many ride windows down. Enough of them new enough cars I wouldn't think AC busted, so it had me wondering if no ac does make more mpg difference than I would have thought. Maybe so given every street racer trying to get every inch will make sure the AC is off before dragging.
No fucking way I’m driving a car in Texas heat without AC. That seems mental .

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

I suppose I could do windows down. But I don't want to.

Little motor having to work harder?

Not so little a motor, but yeah, it's working harder to drive the air conditioning.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

I drive windows down and AC on, in summer

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In general, I'd say that range anxiety is overblown. Especially now with increased capacity and charging infrastructure compared to a few years ago. An interesting comparison/historical note: The first modern style gas station opened in 1913 and cars had been around for a few years before the Model T launched in 1908. EV's are just coming to their 'Model T' moment.

It doesn't get cold enough to have much effect here in southern California, but definitely have to crank the AC in the summer. The glass roof is great for ambient light, but definitely increases cabin temp. That said, we haven't noticed a drastic change in range or enough for us to think and change our habits. The biggest effect to range for me is how heavy my foot is feeling that day :D

We had a spare 240 line from switching our dryer to gas. Had our electrician run a line from the laundry too a convenient spot in the garage and have the Tesla charger plugged into it. I'm not sure but I think it was included when we boought our Model 3 in early 2019. So a couple hundred to run the line, fortunately we had just replaced the whole panel about a year prior and went with 200a to make sure to have room for future solar/charging etc.
I agree for most EVs range anxiety shouldn't exist. As long as you can charge either at home or work, it's a non-issue. People can't and instead who choose to have to hit a supercharger every other day, boggle my mind.